Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

oculus rift support

sims 4 needs oculus rift support. that is all am guessing a lot would love this i sure would

1. MissFelixia

Comments

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited January 2014
    How exactly would you use a 3D VR headset on a game like The Sims?

It only really works for first person games.
    raw
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited January 2014
    I haven't used Oculus Rift yet but I agree with Evil_One, isn't that designed more for a first person action / FPS / adventure game than a third person simulation game?

Plus isn't it quite expensive?
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited January 2014
    Evil_One wrote:
    How exactly would you use a 3D VR headset on a game like The Sims?

It only really works for first person games.

its mainly for the camera perspective so basically you would control the camera with it. so when your looking at things with the camera its like your there. it'd be like your looking down on things as your building
    edited January 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    I haven't used Oculus Rift yet but I agree with Evil_One, isn't that designed more for a first person action / FPS / adventure game than a third person simulation game?

Plus isn't it quite expensive?
    at the moment it is yeh because it isn't released yet but once it is it should go down in price. you can buy the developer version though if you'd like it early. and the camera. it would be amazing to feel like your there while your building then swapping to tab camera and going around with that. but they would need to add support for it or really just add oculus rift cameras i think it is
    edited January 2014
    bump
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see them put their time and resources to making the game available/supported for Macs, so simmers with Macs can play too. Last I heard, this was going to come later on and not at release.
  • TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2014
    ...Wouldn't a lot of the abilities in the original game be taken away?

Like trying to make a baby?...O_o"
  • DragonMage2011DragonMage2011 Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2014
    Short answer : No.

Slightly longer answer : Noo...

But seriously, I would rather see the team work on making a ready and stable game packed with new ideas and content rather than have them waste time basically rewriting the coding for the camera just to incorporate something that, if you actually look at it, is an expensive piece of equipment that not many people have. Sure, it'd be great for those who want it, but that is presumably only a small minority of the community. EA is most likely going to be creating things that will satisfy a lot of people rather than just a handful.

I also feel that the Oculus is just a waste of money at the moment. If I wanted the game so close to my eyes I'd have my nose pressed up against my monitor :roll:
  • fabregas22fabregas22 Posts: 369 Member
    edited January 2014
    While I will be getting a rift when it comes out, I wouldn't be using it on the sims. I think it's silly tbh and would probably make things more difficult then they need to be and gimmicky.
    edited January 2014
    ...Wouldn't a lot of the abilities in the original game be taken away?

Like trying to make a baby?...O_o"

i dont see why a lot of the original stuff would be taken away?

and it should t be much work for them at all since all it would be is adding an oculus rift camera where the normal camera is so people dont have to worry that it will take them longer. should take them merely 5minutes. they dont have to add movement to it at all you could do that with the keyboard. all am saying is i hope they add an oculus rift camera so i can watch my game in amazing 3D. they can leave out the motion controls of the oculus rift
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,172 Member
    edited January 2014
    i am one of those who cannot see the point of having oculus rift which is being developed more for shooters and driving . Also it is too expensive for the average player and within a few years will be out of date or surpassed by something else
  • Azarinop2Azarinop2 Posts: 776 Member
    edited January 2014
    NO :mrgreen:
    Me on a spiritual level
    30vnk7k.gif
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see them put their time and resources to making the game available/supported for Macs, so simmers with Macs can play too. Last I heard, this was going to come later on and not at release.
    Agreed, I'd rather see Mac support before support for a device that's in its infancy. I'm not opposed to eventually adding support for the Rift though; I could actually see it being interesting if it contributed something new to the gameplay, such as giving me the ability to walk through my Sim's houses, (this could be particularly useful in build/buy mode,) or offered me the option to stand in my Sims' shoes for certain occasions. For example, it could be interesting to take a first–person perspective during a Sim's wedding or birthday celebration. Still, this should be something that comes after Mac support and a stable game, and not before either of those things.
  • knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited January 2014
    I don't really see much of a point in it, either.
    its mainly for the camera perspective so basically you would control the camera with it. so when your looking at things with the camera its like your there. it'd be like your looking down on things as your building

If it is only for the camera movement and not actually looking through the sims' eyes, I think it's kind of pointless. Even without the headset, you are still in the prescriptive of the camera.
    edited January 2014
    knh330 wrote:
    I don't really see much of a point in it, either.

If it is only for the camera movement and not actually looking through the sims' eyes, I think it's kind of pointless. Even without the headset, you are still in the prescriptive of the camera.

its mainly the case of you need to try it to know how it feels. when your designing the house the walls will seem like they are in front of you and the chairs everything will seem like your actually there looking at it rather than flat against the screen. i know i'd love to see my sims walking around as if i am there. they could easily make it so you could control the sims like in a console version.

best way to see how imersive the oculus rift is is by watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7fz__6B-4 that is a really simple horror game but you can tell he was immersed in the game. and its like yo are there

plus with oculus rift support we would in theory have a better quality game. house builders could see their houses in a more realistic view and build them more to perfection. objects would have to be designed properly to look right on the oculus rift. and couldnt just be thrown into the game like most seem to be that kinda stuff

to be honest am surprise people dont want to be more immersed into the sims i know i want to be. oculus rift would allow everyone who plays it to see it in a whole new way. when you can see the worlds and houses like you were there. and there is no reason that mac support would be delayed since oculus rift is basically a camera. unless stated otherwise it should be as simple as adding an oculus rift camera to the normal camera.

also i doubt it will be just a phase. the oculus rift has been in development for like 10 years and there are others now making VR goggles. its going to come. and its going to stay. this is the next advancement in technology. to be honest now that i think about it sims 4 is going to look outdated without it if they are going to continue it for 5 years. its probably best for them to just put it in even if it doesnt get used.
    if 3 years down the line practically all games are using VR then yeh
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited January 2014
    As cartoony as the graphics look (to me) I would have no interest in being 'immersed' into the Sims 4.

I have been waiting for true VR games for decades. I would be completely surprised if we were there in just three years. But who knows?

Maybe for Sims 5.

ETA: I have been following development of the OR for the past few years, and while it does look like fun for some games, I just don't see it working well for Sims 4, at all.
    edited January 2014
    aww that's a shame i don't really care how it is if i can be there :P but i do hope they put the option in for those who want to use it. before i heard about oculus rift i imagined what sims VR would be like then the oculus rift comes which is imersive and the sims 4.

we could have it way sooner than i thought. like i said i dunno how simple it is to add oculus rift support. i really hope its something they could just slide in and be done with it. something like a few minutes work even if they could patch it in later. or put it on the list as something to patch into the game. not saying it has to come right away.

nothing would make me overhyped more than hearing sims 4 has oculus rift support but i guess thats just me. i did see a mirrors edge oculus rift video and i dont think thats had a patch so it could be oculus rift will by default support the sims 4 camera and such.

so if anyone has any info about it please share here :)

on a side note with oculus rift i really hope they fix the fast camera movement above floor 2
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited January 2014
    I have never heard of oculus rift before. But you have piqued my interest. I think someday sims will have virtual reality or something like it. I think it's interesting how when this is brought up, a lot of people will chime in saying they Don't want it. I guess I could understand that considering the cartoony look.

edited January 2014
    its still imersive. if you watch the video you'll see basic graphics are really imersive despite being basic :P
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited January 2014
    I can see the oculus rift being used for if you wanted to watch a sim first person, but apparently the sim games don't have that option. (atm)

Then you can watch the sims do stuff in game in first person, it's almost like being inside the sim it's self, would be fun to do in Roleplay, that's for sure. :P

It's a little idea that can work with the oculus rift. :P

I always wanted to observe the sims first person.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
    edited January 2014
    I can see the oculus rift being used for if you wanted to watch a sim first person, but apparently the sim games don't have that option. (atm)

Then you can watch the sims do stuff in game in first person, it's almost like being inside the sim it's self, would be fun to do in Roleplay, that's for sure. :P

It's a little idea that can work with the oculus rift. :P

I always wanted to observe the sims first person.

if you get the console versions you can actually control them in 1st person :Pthats how they work and you look at things and click to choose to do things like siting on a chair. i really dont know why pc doesnt have the option to control a sim in 1st person :/
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited January 2014
    Really? I didn't know that, I have sims 3 for the PS3, but I never tried that. :O
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited January 2014
    The console and handhelds version of TS2 had movement direct control, but it was just a Joystick adaptation to make it easier to play.

Consoles do not have a keyboard.
    jr73Y.gif

edited February 2014
    Really? I didn't know that, I have sims 3 for the PS3, but I never tried that. :O
    yep my sister has sims 2 on ds and she walks around as a sims then looks at something and clicks to activate things :) its really nice ^.^ i was thinking of getting sims 3 on the 3DS might be able to get it on the wii but problem is no mods and fast speed x.x and only certain ep's. oculus rift support could also help architect design :)
  • dancerREHdancerREH Posts: 370 New Member
    edited February 2014
    no