Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Economy needs a big change

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited November 2013
    For food, I would also think that the ability to season it would also help. The seasoning can even improve the quality of the meal.

For furniture, why not include a carpentry skill and have someone with a high level in that skill be able to make wood items have a far less chance to break when repairing them?
    Love your ideas of seasoning the food & a carpentry skill !
    Think it would add more character to the game :)
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited November 2013
    Introduction:

I got into Simcity again, this time noticing how good economy works there. I asked Maaike from Platinum Simmers what she thinks about economy in the sims and she totally agrees, it needs change. Long games aren't as fun as they could be.

If you are reading this and you can easily contact simguru, please tell them about this fast. I'm pretty sure we'll not get everything I talk about in the basegame, but if they're doing OFB this would be a perfect main feature.

As you all know economy isn't a big part of The Sims 3, you start out poor, then work for some weeks, then you're rich, then you don't need money for anything anymore. Where is the fun in that?

We need daily expenses depending on the money all the sims have. Depending on how you choose to live, you get a lot of expenses if you choose to live the easy life, but little if you're willing to have a harder life to save up.

Services

Services needs to be more complicated, people who have a little money can easily get a maid in the sims 3. They should rather have an option like a cleaner that comes for a quick hour every other day to clean your whole house. The maids are too cheap to be this good, even though they are a little bugged.
    Butlers are super cheap as well, if you compare the weekly price to the daily price of a maid, then it isn't that different.

Random chances of going bankrupt

You should be able to toggle this on and off. It's not exciting to be forever rich, what if you suddenly go bankrupt after something happens. The thing that happens shouldn't be anything serious like dying or loosing your house, but something more simple like.. (need suggestions)

Food

In The Sims 3 you can choose between making a meal that takes forever, or just go for yoghurt or anything without having to prepare it. Since a new feature saying that they get happier if they eat better, this isn't a problem anymore.
    However, the problem is food expenses.
    There should be cheap meals as usual, but also good ones that makes you go hungry slower. Everyone with rich sims would go for that, because it would cost a lot more. Since you have to make meals everyday to be happier, this is a great way to get your sims to pay more.
    This also opens the chance for those who have greedy sims to live a cheap life with less happiness as well.

Furniture that go bad

In The Sims 3 you occasionally have to fix your shower, toilet, tv and more. This feature I'm talking about is implemented in The Sims 3, but to a much lesser degree.
    What about whenever you buy something, they take long to break depending on how much it costs. Then, when i first starts breaking, it breaks more often. Then we can have an option to buy a new one. Cheaper things that can break should be easier to fix than more advanced, and when I say break more often it should take some time before the problem gets real bad.
    Baboom! Another not so advanced expense.
    Again, greedy sims can just repair it every time, not having to ever buy a new one.

Loans

Ever want to move out of that crappy house in the start of the game without having to cheat? Take a loan if you can handle the expenses that comes with the new big house and of course paying back the loan.

"There could be interaction in Town Hall "Get loan..." that expands into "Flash Loan (100§)" A, "Family Loan (500§)" B, "Renovation Loan (1000§)" C, "Lifestart Loan (10 000§)" D, "Student Loan (2500§)" E

A> Available to anyone. Just take it whenever you want.
    B> Available only to big families with kids.
    C> Available only once a week and useable only to renovation purposes.
    D> Available only at the beginning of game to buy more expensive house and move to it or to Young Adults that must buy a house and move out then (loan gets to this YA's new household)
    E> Available to YAs, As and Elders that have to go to University then. Could be added by University EP. For purposes of renting house, renovate it, customize it, pay for tuition and be cared for a studying period." Great suggestion by Nolthermo

As loan is a big thing in real life, it can easily become a serious matter to the person in-game too. User Callum9432 suggested that there should be an option to opt out of loan to those who get in serious debt that is ruining their experience. I didn't agree at first but now as I understand it more, it's something needed.

You should not be able to go too overboard with a loan in my opinion, taking out enough for a 3 bed 2 bath should be maximum in my opinion. Others say that it should just be freedom of how much you want. That's a choice the developers got to take.

I will be adding more as time goes, this is a big case for me as it's something we really need to enjoy longer play sessions.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw an option in the Sims 3 game for the Sims to get a loan already...
    I know there is some semblance of the possibility of the Sims going bankrupt even though they don't call it that & I don't think its in the regular towns but a lot of times when my Sims go to China, I get messages that the Sims are either going homeless or they are in debt.
    I use twallans SP (Story Progression) mods though so it might be from that I'm not sure. But I often have to give the Sims in the China town money so they pay their debts & live.
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2013
    pguida wrote:

I hate those ideas. If I want to be poor and broke I can mess up my real life. I want to escape into a fantasy world. I absolutely hope your ideas are overlooked.

Killjoy :P

I actually liked a lot of what the OP suggested. And I'm sure there will be still cheats available to motherlode the motherthumper out of the game if you desire. Hahahhaa But those ideas pose challenge for others.

And as far as the loans. I personally can see, as teens play, this may be a valuable real life learning tool, without the real life ramifications of a financial nightmare.

I agree Shelleybelly, i think this would be a awesome learning tool for teens and fun at the same time. Teens need more video games that offer something productive and educational instead of all this violence and killing i see in some of these games nowadays. My daughters high school is currently using games like rollercoaster tycoon and a few others to make learning physics and such more interesting by applying it and actually using it in a creative and fun way instead of a bunch of boring calculations and numbers only on paper. Students actually look forward to going to that class and learning physics and what not.
  • Options
    AeroFunk80AeroFunk80 Posts: 318 Member
    edited November 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:
    AeroFunk80 wrote:
    First--I have been a huge fan of The Sims since the original. When it first started, it was a full on life simulation. I recall reading somewhere that the creator wanted it to be that and nothing more. He even frowned on the supernatural/sci-fi content. Well, they got him to cave and after seeing how well it did... they started adding more and more of it.
    Exactly the opposite of the truth. Will Wright didn't want the game to be realistic, he wanted it to have supernatural and sci-fi elements.

I was certain I remember hearing that back in the day... this was during TS1 though. Never said I was 100% correct. I could be wrong. LOL
    AeroSimmer_Small_zps77549281.png
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited November 2013
    pguida wrote:
    lpmartin wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    I hate those ideas. If I want to be poor and broke I can mess up my real life. I want to escape into a fantasy world. I absolutely hope your ideas are overlooked.

You're not alone, pguida.

I hope there are more of us.

There are :wink:
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi :)

I really rather not have The Sims series turn into a life lesson on money management and economic growth. It wouldn't be the Sims if I had to do all that... :(

Making things cost more and services more expensive for them to not get rich so quickly or to have a way to spend money is different then this wonderful game turning into a Money Management Life Simulator.

I agree with you. As much as I love to play poor Sims and make them overcome hardships, and or do without the big TV..I really do prefer TS1 and TS2 style cost effects in those games. TS3 is too easy, that's a fact...and TS1 and TS2 careers didn't give promotions like handing out candy..nor did the pay accumilate into hundreds of dollars if not thousands in a few days...

The cost of objects for a better life, and or a better house and more comfort was relative to pay...sometimes Sims just couldn't afford to buy a better couch until they did get a huge promotion with a big bonus. That was fun and worth trying to get.

I miss the 'comfort' motive most of all..because a comfy life for my Sim meant they could afford the more expensive objects. I also think removing the focus off the motives will also increase how easy the next game might be...why bother buying a better commode if it never breaks, never overflows, never gets so dirty they get the flu, (and misses work and fun)...and or never gives off any comfort because they don't need comfort.

I personally feel like TS1 and TS2 found a happy balance...and loans were not necessary, but hard work was, and in some careers those promotions were far and few between. I wish they would return to that premise. That is more of a challenge but doesn't reflect a money management simulator...and the repo man took more than something they weren't using anyway...but the very thing they needed... :twisted:

ETA: Here's an example in TS3..don't buy a big TV hoping they will have to have more fun doing something else you can't afford..the Sim simply looks out the window for fun...fills fun bar..no hardship at all..way too easy...
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    williamobengwilliamobeng Posts: 106 New Member
    edited November 2013
    I like this! But remember the first Sims 3 app? For the mobile devices? I hated being rich and owning a lot because everything would break 24/7! It was crazy! But overall, I get what your saying!
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited November 2013
    I would like for my sims to be able to get a loan or rent a house so that I won't have to use cheats just to move my YAs out their parents' house.

I would like to see more deadend job options (because lets face most jobs are) and I wish that some job weren't possible without going to college (how many doctors do you know that only have a high school diploma).

Maybe children should be more expensive, because sim kids pretty much take care of themselves and only don't cost their parents anything (maybe a little more food and a slightly bigger house).
  • Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    edited November 2013
    Roller Coaster Tycoon had a loan system, or at least the second one did. That used to be one of my favorite games! I definitely think it's possible to have loans in a game successfully. Instead of just having an option to click on the town hall and get out of loans I think there should be a (pretty expensive) lifetime reward. Each time you get into debt you have to save up your points to get that reward. Optionally you could use a money cheat. I definitely think there should be a cap as well, perhaps determined by weekly household income.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited November 2013
    Roller Coaster Tycoon had a loan system, or at least the second one did. That used to be one of my favorite games! I definitely think it's possible to have loans in a game successfully. Instead of just having an option to click on the town hall and get out of loans I think there should be a (pretty expensive) lifetime reward. Each time you get into debt you have to save up your points to get that reward. Optionally you could use a money cheat. I definitely think there should be a cap as well, perhaps determined by weekly household income.

A lot of people complained about loans in the second Rollercoaster Tycoon, the third nearly crashed and burned, the fourth did crash and burn, and the company that owns the title now has not done a single attempt at the series since. In fact, 2 was developed under an entirely different company and development studio than produced 3, which brings into question its success, and 2 scored lower critical approval than 1 did.

So overall, that is a series that hit its high note before loans were introduce and went downhill from there, to the point the people who developed the third installment didn't even have the guy in charge of the first two as more than a consultant.

That should tell you everything you need to know about how successful the loans were.
  • Options
    griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    edited November 2013
    I love this idea. Although some people might find that it's too difficult or ruins the game for them, which is why I think it should be optional somehow. Of course, people can always cheat for unlimited money, so even if they adjust the game so that it's tougher to get rich that shouldn't be too much a problem for people who don't want to worry about money. I play legacies a lot, and part of the fun is going from rags to riches. Unfortunately you actually have to work hard in this game to stay poor for longer than a couple of days, and being poor doesn't really mean anything in the game. As you mentioned, there aren't really any ongoing expenses for a sim, other than bills (which are super cheap). The repoman will come if you don't pay your bills, but that's the only consequence of poverty that I can think of. There also aren't a lot of options for poorer looking clothing and decor. Essentially all sims are middle class or rich.

I love that this is a sandbox game and would not want them to change that, but I think they could make things a little more difficult so that sims have things that they struggle with in life (like finances). If people don't like it, they should add ways that people can easily cheat or turn off more difficult options.
  • Options
    griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    edited November 2013
    Oh, just to add to what someone else said, I also think they should add some less prestigious jobs. I like being able to have sims be grocery store clerks, work at the bookstore, etc. There should be a reason for sims to do that, though. Perhaps sims should have a harder time getting a good job if they graduate from high school with lower grades. I think it could be very simple to add that, or to require sims to have certain traits or skills to start at certain jobs (like a few points of the logic or science skill to work in medicine, writing to work in journalism, etc.). I saw someone on the forums mention having job interviews once, which might be going a little too far but also could be cool. In general I would like to see more differences between sims and challenge in playing the game for those who want it.
  • Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    edited November 2013

A lot of people complained about loans in the second Rollercoaster Tycoon, the third nearly crashed and burned, the fourth did crash and burn, and the company that owns the title now has not done a single attempt at the series since. In fact, 2 was developed under an entirely different company and development studio than produced 3, which brings into question its success, and 2 scored lower critical approval than 1 did.

So overall, that is a series that hit its high note before loans were introduce and went downhill from there, to the point the people who developed the third installment didn't even have the guy in charge of the first two as more than a consultant.

That should tell you everything you need to know about how successful the loans were.

Oh come on, do you really think three and four did so poorly just because of the loans?!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Oh come on, do you really think three and four did so poorly just because of the loans?!

Three, no. It was noted for a number of glitches as well, including the loans. 4... all I can find on it without digging is "everyone hated it" and incoherent rants of pure rage, so I've decided not to dig on that one just due to the surface area.

That does not explain the issue 2 had, and 2 did have the loans (despite the fact nearly everything else about it was a better game). So, that shows that the loans heralded the downfall of that series.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited November 2013
    pguida wrote:
    lpmartin wrote:
    pguida wrote:

You're not alone, pguida.

I hope there are more of us.

*raises hand* :P
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited November 2013
    I completely understand the OP point of view and agree with it. It is way too easy for the Sims to make money.

But let's face it, it's pretend.

You can easily make it harder if you want.

Just set rules YOU WANT and stick to them. If you want less money, simply reduce your family income (use testingcheatsenabled). You want loans, use testingcheatsenabled and add funds and use a sheet of paper to keep track and pay it back

You want things to break, every so often or on scheduled days, go into buy mode and delete things so they have to be rebought.

I think it's ludicrous for flowers and bugs to be worth so much. Simple answer is just keep a sheet of paper next to you. Tally the income and take one percent of it, and adjust your Sims family funds.

Yes this requires effort on your part, but it's really no different than any one of the hundreds of "challenges" posted on forums where people make up their own rules and play by them.

This said, I do understand the OP argument, perhaps Sims4 could have an easier way to adjust funds???

• Options
    AeroFunk80AeroFunk80 Posts: 318 Member
    edited November 2013
    Yes, it's too easy to earn money in TS3 and stay rich. I support all of these ideas. As for bankruptcy... I wouldn't want this to be some random event that just happens. If your family goes bankrupt, it has to be because they can't pay bills, etc.

I've actually posted a few ideas on here in the past:

1) More bills: Electric, water, rent/mortgage and trash. Each bill can be accessed via computer and paid before the due date. If unpaid, you lose that utility/home. Say... you don't pay electric. Suddenly, the lights in your home go out and all electric appliances stop working.

2) Shopping: No more endless dressers. I want to shop for clothes again and stock my own closet. There should be tiers of clothing too. Cheap, moderate and expensive. Only the wealthier sims can afford the high fashion clothing. Also, shopping for cell phones, tablets, E-readers, music, Ipods, etc would be nice.

3) Career Advancement: It's too easy. I mean, who goes to work on their second day of a job and earns a promotion? Make it more difficult to move up the corporate ladder.
    AeroSimmer_Small_zps77549281.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The bringing up of bills reminds me of something...

The biggest problem with adding more costs (such as bills) is that there are now collectibles. Electricity going out? Decision between paying a bill and a blender? There is no reason in this series, with collectibles around, why these problems should even exist on the first in-game day. You should easily have a couple thousand simoleons if you bother to run around collecting... and that's from the cheap collectibles with most spawners not spawning yet.

In Sims 3, the bills system is so worthless and pointless because of collectibles that they gave us the option to turn it off. And they're bringing back collectibles for Sims 4.

So, really, a banking system won't help... your sims will be back on their feet inside a week. More bills won't help... your sim will never, ever have to worry about the consequences of not paying them. Especially since the bills themselves will, overall, be smaller.

Having more expenses in other areas does help, though.
  • Options
    KirstyLKirstyL Posts: 974 Member
    edited November 2013
    Money is such a big part of life, and of the Sims. In the game it just goes from difficult to too easy though. I like these ideas.
    imgad2-1.png
  • Options
    EivindbroenEivindbroen Posts: 223 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Now that I rethink a lot of this, I'm not a huge fan of loans. There are so many complications with them that it isn't the easiest thing to add. Removing it from the thread now.
  • Options
    MysticMirror31MysticMirror31 Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2013
    I love the idea of a better economy system. I lose all interest in my game once I buy a new house with nice things and never have to worry about money. This is when I start a new game. With the sims 3 this is why I never hardly make it past my second generation. With that being said though, not everyone is like this. I have never, not even once used a money cheat in the sims 3. Yet I know others who use the money cheat every time they play and that is what makes the game enjoyable to them. Diversity I guess is the key here. Everyone is different in how they play the game or things they want in the game. This makes it hard to adjust the money in the sims. Is it way to easy to get money in the sims 3....oh my yes. I know in the real world I can't go catch a ladybug and sell it for $5 or pick a flower and get over $400. I know in my game I prefer more realism but some don't and I don't think anyone should put down another person because of the way they like to play a game. Some people play the sims to escape from everyday life. Why oh why then would they want their sims to have to pay more bills, get a loan, or have to replace their furniture all the time because it breaks.

I see the point of the OP and I myself would truly love a game like that but we are all different and I think a lot of people just wouldn't like the sims if it was to much like real life.
  • Options
    completespaz100completespaz100 Posts: 122 New Member
    edited December 2013
    what I hated was how easy the jobs were like they would start at the bottom of the career ladder and two days later they are CEO. I really wish it was harder to get your dream job like you might have to work on your resume a little more before you apply at a five-star restaurant with no job experience at all or all jobs might not be hiring at the moment. something that was also kind of weird is your sim would be working as a cashier and makes 40 dollars an hour were cashiers usually only make 6-8 dollars an hour. this pay might be fine for the players who want there sim to be automatically living the high life once they start the game but for me the game gets really boring once your sim has it all. :lol:
  • Options
    MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited December 2013
    unless there is difficulty economy doesn't bother me. in my opinion all they need to do is maybe make items cost a little more than they do now. am not about to grind for a ton of money and if that turns out to be the case i'd just shift+c motherlode. there is quite a bit to go for in sims 3 really and i find its balanced for a family of 20 giving each their own room