Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update 2: CRC Error During Patch 1.63 Install Finally Resolved

Update 2: I was finally successfully able to Super Patch my base game to 1.63. I decided to try downloading the Super Patch for the third time. Once it was downloaded I used MSCONFIG to disable all unecessary services and startup procedures then rebooted into SAFE MODE. I then installed the base game from the hard drive having copied the installation disk to my HDD earlier. I installed the base game and applied the Super Patch in Safe Mode. I don't know which one of these things or all of them combined solved my problem. I suspect I was just lucky and on the third try I was finally able to download an uncorrupted Super Patch. Maybe the success of the download had to do with the time of day. I don't know. I am now attempting to apply my expansions and stuff packs one at a time. Wish me luck anyone reading this. It really shouldn't be this hard to install and patch a game.

Update:
1) Between each unsuccessful attempt to patch the game I have followed the steps for a manual uninstall to verify the uninstall is clean.

2) During each attempted patch received the error:
CRC error: The file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

and
CRC error: The file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild2.package doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

3) The Base Game installs and plays perfectly as long as I don't patch. All problems are caused after patching.

4) Patch Attempt One. Installed Base Game from Disk. Downloaded and installed patch via game launcher. Received CRC errors during patch. Game graphics corrupted after patch.

5) Patch Attempt Two. Installed Base Game via Origin then downloaded and installed patch via launcher. Still got the CRC Error during patch even though the optical drive was not used in any part of the installation. Game graphics still corrupted.

6) Patch Attempt Three. Copied Base Game install disk to HDD. Downloaded SuperPatch. Installed game from hard drive. Applied SuperPatch. Same CRC errors during Super Patch install. Same corrupted game graphics.

7) Patch Attempt Four. Downloaded Super Patch again over a wired Internet connection. Installed game from disk. Patched game in Safe Mode. Same CRC errors which are not CRC errors. Same corrupted graphics.

8) At this point I don't think there is anyway for me to download a good patch. Would be helpful if EA could offer some other way to deliver the patch because what they have offered isn't working.

***==================================================================****

This story does not have an end. I expect there to be continuing installments because I am still trying to install this blessed game on my PC.

To start I have been playing The Sims 3 since the base game was released. I have been playing it on the PC that I built and have added each expansion, stuff pack, patch, and store world pretty much as they have been released. I have never had to re-install. A few times I have deleted my The Sims 3 folder and let the game generate a new one. And I have downloaded my store content more than once. Over the years I have read the many posts from simmers trying and struggling to install the game. Sympathetic but grateful I was not in their boat.

Last month I decided to build myself a new PC. I really wanted to have the latest and greatest in PC technology that I could reasonably afford in advance of The Sims 4 being released. Plus while I have been able to continue playing my game with the release of Into the Future on my old PC it has been struggling. I was one of the unfortunate simmers to be hit with extreme game lag caused by the Tree of Prosperity. While uninstalling that particular content fixed that particular lag issue there have been so many other issues dragging down the performance of the game I wanted to see what a new speedy PC could do with the game.

Here are the specs for my new build:

Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Gene
CPU: Core I7 4770K
Mem: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 DDR3
GPU: XFX Double D Radeon R9 280X (this card is a re-badge of the Radeon HD 7970)
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 750W
Heatsink: Silverstone Heligon Tower Cooler with 120mm fan
SSD: 2 Samsung 840 Evo 1TB (Raid 1)(System and Programs Drive)
HDD: 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black (Data Drive)
Case: Silverstone SG09
Bluray: Silverstone Slim Slot Loading Drive
extra 80mm fans for the GPU
Windows 7 64-bit Professional

It's fun building a new computer. If it weren't so expensive I would do it more often just for the fun. It's kinda like legos. Finding just the right parts to fit together and making everything work. It's fun that is until it comes time to install The Sims 3 on it.

With 11 expansion packs, 5 or 6 stuff packs and way more store content than I could possibly use I expected it to take a long time to install. I spent a day intalling a pack at a time then going away to do something else to return an hour later to install another pack. It might have gone faster if I had been willing to sit there and watch the hourglass but I wasn't.

I ran across a small glitch while installing it for the first time while patching the base game to 1.63. I got this CRC error claiming that some Databuild0.cab file didn't match and might be corrupted. I thought that was a bit odd. Reading Crinrict's blog this was supposedly caused by a bad disk or problems with the DVD drive. I was able to hit the retry button a bunch of times and then finally the Ignore button and the installation of the patch seemed to complete normally. I went ahead and installed the rest of my expansions and stuff packs with no incident other than the fact that it took for freaking-ever to install all that stuff.

So the next day I plan to take my newly installed Sims 3 game for a spin on my new rig. And the nightmare begins. The graphics are terrible! They looked like I was using a card from a decade ago. Not the latest generation Radeon card. There are only a few Nvidia cards and just one model Radeon card that are faster than this model. It is designed to run 6 monitors at once on ultra high graphic settings. Unfortunately, it didn't appear to be designed to run The Sims 3. That was just too much for it. I was testing Isla Paradiso. The clouds over the hidden islands appeared as grey blocks. The waves/crests behind boats appeared as bright green leafy type objects. Windows in houses were opaque and not transparent. Just everything was off.

The first thing I did was re-download the latest driver from AMD. Then I made sure to update the BIOS, Intel chipset and other drivers for my motherboard. When none of that yielded results I swapped the graphics card with the card from my old PC - an XFX Radeon HD 5850. What I discovered from that experiment was that both graphics cards worked with no errors on my old PC.

Now I am really starting to sweat because it was looking like I had a bad motherboard or worse a defective CPU because the PCI Express controller is on the 4770K.

When I built my old PC I had my son around to Beta test. I bought a copy of Crysis 2 and told him to Beta test my rig to see how it performed. But he has moved out and lives on his own now. I didn't have him here to beta test my rig. I call him on the phone and ask him what game I can run on my new rig that is 3D graphics intensive. He tells me to try The Elders Scrolls V Skyrim because all I will need to do is run the opening video to test my rig. It plays perfectly on ultra high graphics settings. I install my Civilization V game. It plays fine. I install Spore. It plays fine. I stream a movie from Amazon. Fine. I stream some Youtube videos. Fine.

Oh! Censored! It's The Sims 3 software itself that is at fault. Something wrong with the installation. Well. At least it isn't my expensive rig that I spent so much time building. But on the other hand. I can't play the game on my new PC. I can't get it installed.

So I think about it for a while. All these years I have diligently registered every expansion and stuff pack. If the installation was corrupted by the CRC error that occurred during the 1.63 patch maybe I could download the base game and all the expansions from Origin and install them that way thereby avoiding the CRC error during the patch.

So I uninstall everything. And begin the even more tedious installation because now I have to download through Origin. I get the base game downloaded and installed. I cancel the 1.63 patch that is automatically prompted. And test the base game only with nothing else and no patch. Good ole Gobias Koffi has no trouble visiting the grocery store and then goes fishing at Angel Falls. The intro video played perfectly. The graphics are smooth and perfect. There is no bright green leafy foam at Angel Falls. The clouds are not grey blocks. And the windows in houses are transparent.

Then I download the 1.63 patch which is close to 2GB by itself. That takes forever and I go watch the news. Patch downloaded and I begin to install it. Lo and behold the CRC error pops up during the patch. Now how in the world do I get a CRC error which is a problem reading media from an optical drive when both the base game and the patch were downloaded through Origin? No DVD's or optical drives anywhere in the installation chain!

Don't we just love The Sims 3 software? It is so easy and user friendly to use!

Several retry buttons and an Ignore button later the patch finally completes and I get the message that my game was successfully patched. Now to test the game.

It takes foreeeeeeeveeeeer to load plain old Sunset Valley with absolutely no expansions or any other CC, mods or EA store content. The game finally loads and very choppily sweeps over the water to display town mode. I pick Gobias Koffi again and I swear the game is as responsive as if the Tree of Prosperity is installed and endlessly firing off its alarms. Gobias gets in his car and the game lags and jerks its way down to the grocery store. And the windows in Gobias' house are opaque and not transparent.

So it's definitely the 1.63 patch that is messed up. Now I get to uninstall my game yet again and try to figure out how in the world to successfully patch it before I can install any other expansions.

I really, really, really cannot believe that EA is making a blasted fortune off of this crap! :evil:

Origin ID: Barbara917

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    edited December 2013
    OK. I read some of your post - I just got home from work and I want to play a little before I have to sleep.

I don't know much about building PCs or the hardware etc you have but I'll believe you if you say your card is good for Sims 3.

I see you have a Windows computer.

So ---- when you uninstalled did you clean your registry? That is necessary on a Windows computer. Use a registry cleaner tool such as Ccleaner (free download) or go to the Microsoft support site and follow their instructions for doing a Clean reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Once the registry is clean you can install the base game.

Once the base game is installed you need to patch with the Cumulative Super Patch.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page

Then install everything else in release order (to try to minimise future problems)

(Or you can fix your graphic issues next if you'd prefer - see further down for that info.)

Release order is:

World Adventures
    High End Loft Stuff
    Ambitions
    Fast Lane Stuff
    Late Night
    Outdoor Living stuff
    Generations
    Town Life Stuff
    Pets
    Master Suite Stuff
    Showtime
    Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    Diesel Stuff
    Supernatural
    Seasons
    70s 80s 90s Stuff
    University Life
    Island Paradise
    Movie Stuff
    Into the Future

Patch if prompted during the installation process.

Open a game every so often to make sure it is working.

Graphics Issues

Newer cards are not recognised by Sims 3. You need to make some changes to some files to get them recognised.

I've never fixed a Raedon card and I've heard they can be difficult but I can at least get you started.

After you have launched a game, go to the Sims 3 folder and open the DeviceConfig.log file. Use Notepad or similar text editor.

Look for the Display info.

Mine looks like this:

Name (database): GeForce GTX 660 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 11c0, Board: 28721462, Chipset: 00a1

I suspect yours will say [Found: 0, Matched: 1] or [Found: 0, Matched: 0]

That is the problem you need to fix.

If you don't have that problem then you don't have to fix it.

If you do have to fix it, the other bit of useful information you will need to know is the Device ID. Which is 11c0 in my example.

If you do have this problem and need to fix it please let me know and I'll put up some instructions to fix the GraphicCards.sgr file. Hopefully we won't have to fix the other one which is GraphicRules.sgr.

Here's a link with some information in it that you might be able to follow.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game

EDIT: If this info is a bit impossible to follow - I have written some easier to understand/follow instructions that people seem to appreciate. I just have to track it down. Will do so if you need it.
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited December 2013
    You mention you want to be ready for TS4 - well that computer is ready for the 22nd century. Way too much hardware for a DX9 game. First the ATI video card. That card is nexgen and probably uses some technology that TS3 may have problems with being a some to be legacy DX9 32 bit game. Microsoft will end support for Windows XP in April of 2014 which will be the death of DX9. It's probably not the hardware so much as it is the video drivers. All manufacturers trim their drivers for performance and legacy support sometimes suffer. There were many drivers for Windows XP that were orphaned when Windows Vista was introduced and many manufacturers had no intentions of releasing new drivers. While ssds are fast I have encountered a few problems with built in controller in some motherboards. I had to get a third party controller. I don't know if was the buffering or what but the fact remained that I was getting errors with the on board disk controller chip. 32bg of main memory is way more then you need as TS3 is a 32 bit application and CAN NOT access more then 4gb of physical memory. Actually TS3 being 32 bit only uses ~2.5gb (even with laa enabled) due to the nature of the compiler. The crc error with the 1.63 patch is a puzzler. Many people have had trouble with this patch and have repatched with the manual super patch to correct some problems. Have you tried the manual super patch?

Welcome to the world of computer gaming. You are not the first person to have the latest and greatest only to find out it doesn't run the game you want. This is where you forget the hardware and roll up the sleeves to start tweaking your nice new system. All operating systems have to be brought up to the user standards (such as enabling .net framework) by installing needed applications we long forgot about. Bringing the operating system up to date. Then comes the burn in test. Before I run any games I run a benchmark program (3dmark) for a few days to see if I have any problems. It sounds like you have your graphics problem worked out. Try the manual super patch and see if you can get rid of the crc error. The file your having trouble with is a large file (much larger then you usually work with) and you may have a hardware problem transferring this large of a file.

hth

add: EA claims that TS4 will be less demanding (yea and I got some swamp land for sale).
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hi Sincerbox,
    you asked me to have a look at this thread. Well I can just second what b o b 0 0 7 said. *shrugs*
    Sorry I couldn't help you. :(
    EDIT: The forum filter claims his name is something which must be censored. :?:
    This space is for rent.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited December 2013
    hey Sincerbox

i agree with b.ob to fix the annoying latest CRC error use the manual super patch. just run it and you will be prompted by a message something like but your game is already patch just allow to reinstall

my hunch the issues are on origin side

would love to know how the graphics are after repatching

also something to consider confirming the card is being recognized
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game

im eyeing the same card :)
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited December 2013
    Karritz wrote:
    OK. I read some of your post - I just got home from work and I want to play a little before I have to sleep.

I don't know much about building PCs or the hardware etc you have but I'll believe you if you say your card is good for Sims 3.

I see you have a Windows computer.

So ---- when you uninstalled did you clean your registry? That is necessary on a Windows computer. Use a registry cleaner tool such as Ccleaner (free download) or go to the Microsoft support site and follow their instructions for doing a Clean reboot.

Thank you, Karritz for your kind and helpful post. Yes. I did clean my registry. I chose to use EA's instructions for performing a clean/manual uninstall.

https://help.ea.com/article/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3

I am sure the Ccleaner is a good option for those who are too timid to edit their own registry. But I know how to back up my registry and as I built this thing a feel comfortable that I can fix anything I break. It turns out that somewhere along the line it looks like EA has cleaned up their uninstall act through some patch. Because I ran the automatic uninstall procedure and then followed their manual uninstall procedure to the letter. The uninstall had cleaned up everything listed in the manual uninstall procedure.

Thank you for the link to the clean reboot at Microsoft. It is definitely something I will use. But to clarify you are talking about two different things here. A clean reboot is completely separate from cleaning one's registry. They are two different things. Cleaning your registry removes vestiges of an uninstalled game from the registry because the uninstall procedure originally coded by EA was poorly done. EA's bad programming again and something a casual user should never have to do or even understand if EA were releasing reasonably tested software. Name another PC game you play where you have to do this? If you do I will add another software title to my poorly programmed games list.

The clean reboot is definitely handy and something I may try. It is a step-wise instruction on installing software while none of the typical background tasks are running that could potentially interfere with the installation. Again. Amazing that Steam has it figured out just fine how to download and install very large game executables and install them without a user being forced to learn the ins and outs of Windows administration to install a program. It is absolutely abusive to the casual user making them feel too dumb to figure this out that they have to jump through these hoops to install a game. Again. Name another game in which you need to do this and I will add another poorly programmed PC game to my list.

You don't need to worry about my graphics card. It plays the game just fine as I have already tested it by playing the game with it by putting it in my old rig. It doesn't miss a beat. But no worries. It is understandable that you missed that point in my long winded post. I am not really concerned about the game recognizing the card. The only impact that really has is on the automatic settings the game chooses when it first runs. I can go in and change all those settings to high with no problems.
    Karritz wrote:

Once the base game is installed you need to patch with the Cumulative Super Patch.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page .

Thank you for that link. I found it on Crinrict's blog. That will be my next step. I haven't decided whether to install it from safe mode or not. But maybe I will for overkill.
    Karritz wrote:
    Then install everything else in release order (to try to minimise future problems)

Well....yeah. That's what I am doing...
    *****7 wrote:
    You mention you want to be ready for TS4 - well that computer is ready for the 22nd century. Way too much hardware for a DX9 game. First the ATI video card. That card is nexgen and probably uses some technology that TS3 may have problems with being a some to be legacy DX9 32 bit game.

Thanks for the interest and reply, bob. Where to start. The graphics card works fine. Put it in my old rig and it plays the game just fine. My issues are really with installation. You are right. My hardware is overkill now. I had this same conversation with some gaming geeks 4-5 years ago when I built my old rig. When I said I was installing 6GB on my rig which was the most it would take at the time (triple channel memory and 2 gig sticks were the max at the time) the gaming geeks swore I would never need more than 2 gig for any game. :lol: Actually, my motherboard allows me to use half of my memory for RAMDisk. Once I get the basics working with no overclocking or anything fancy I plan to go to town and experiment with these other features and see what I can do with them. For the fun you know. :) Climbing Mt Everest because it is there. I am planning on overclocking and doing other stuff with my rig than play The Sims 3. And who knows where The Sims 4 will be 4-5 years from now or what other stuff I will be doing with it. I am a long range planner. I don't have to upgrade nearly as frequently.
    *****7 wrote:
    The crc error with the 1.63 patch is a puzzler. Many people have had trouble with this patch and have repatched with the manual super patch to correct some problems. Have you tried the manual super patch?

Good suggestion that's my next step.
    *****7 wrote:
    Welcome to the world of computer gaming. You are not the first person to have the latest and greatest only to find out it doesn't run the game you want.

Like I said. The graphics card does work with the game. The problem isn't my system. It's EA's inability to program a working installation procedure as I have demonstrated.
    *****7 wrote:
    This is where you forget the hardware and roll up the sleeves to start tweaking your nice new system. All operating systems have to be brought up to the user standards (such as enabling .net framework) by installing needed applications we long forgot about. Bringing the operating system up to date. Then comes the burn in test. Before I run any games I run a benchmark program (3dmark) for a few days to see if I have any problems. It sounds like you have your graphics problem worked out.

Yes. I know this. Thank you. One step at a time. The aggravation of installing Windows 7 to a RAID 1 volume was challenging in itself. But I got that knocked out. My RAID is working fine. I am using RAID 1 for redundancy and not speed. The SSD's themselves are supplying the speed. Burn in tests done. Other games working fine. Videos play fine. This is just the very crappy Sims 3 installation that is the problem. I finally went to bed last night too tired to go on. Except I did have time to post my above rant. :)

Will take another crack at this today.
    edited December 2013
    Update: Base Game installed. No patch. No issues. First run graphics card not recognized. Expected. Reset all graphics settings to high, resolution to 1960x1080. Exit. Restart. Intro video plays fine. Load Sunset Valley. Loads fast. Intro glide over the water is fast with no lag or stutters. Select Gobias Koffi. Go to grocery store. Go fishing at Angel Falls. Windows are transparent. fountains are perfect, foam from Ange Falls perfect. Graphics fast, smooth, no lag.

Bottom Line. The graphics card works and my rig works. No issues.

Now to install the super patch.......
    edited December 2013
    Update: Installing Super Patch
    CRC error: The file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

:evil: Banging head on wall......

Hit the Ignore button 3 times during the Super Patch. Getting the same extremely slow load times and same graphical errors whether I download the patch through the game launcher or patch using the Super Patch. As of this posting I have found no way to install anything beyond the base game without the patch on my rig.

I read somewhere if I get these errors from the Super Patch the patch is being corrupted during download. Given that other gaming companies seem capable of downloading extremely large game executables to their customers without issues (STEAM) this is not on me or the many other simmers who have encountered this problem. This is on EA. Extremely vexed and unhappy customer.
    edited December 2013
    What I have tried:

Installed the Base Game from Disk. Installed the Patch 1.63 via game launcher. Get

and also
    CRC error: The file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild2.package doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

Game runs very laggy and with corrupted graphics.

Installed Base Game and Patch via Origin. Same errors.

Copied Install Disk to Hard Drive and Downloaded SuperPatch. Installed base game from HDD and ran Super Patch. Didn't work. Same Errors.

Downloaded Super Patch via wired internet connection. No wireles connection.

Installed Game from Disk. Installed SuperPatch in Safe Mode. Same CRC errors.

Note: There is nothing wrong with the Base game or my PC. The Base Game installs with no issues and my PC plays it with no issues. The problem is the patch. I cannot downloaded a patch via any mechanism which doesn't get the CRC errors. This includes leaving my optical drive completely out of the installation procedure. So the error is not being caused by my optical drive despite the CRC error message.
    edited December 2013
    Eureka! The third time downloading the Super Patch finally worked. Successfully applied the patch. Now to install the expansions.
    edited December 2013
    Thank you to ceejay and Karritz for suggesting I check the game was recognizing my video card. I did get the message that it wasn't recognized. I wasn't surprised. I simply pushed the sliders up to max under graphics. Then I read through the link ceejay gave me to modthesims for getting the game to recognize the card.

Apparently, my card is being detected as a match to the Radeon HD 7000 series which isn't really wrong. My understanding is that this card is a rebadge of the Radeon HD 7970. The only thing that is being rated wrong is the card's memory. My card has 3GB of DDR5. Don't think that should be rated as a 1. But the bottom line is the graphics look crisp and fast with all the sliders at max so I think I am good to go.

Just thought I would let you know if anyone comes through asking about the new Radeon R9 200X series cards.
  • edited December 2013
    I have the same problem as you, and this error keeps persisting. I have tried the clean reboot, but how do you clear the registry?
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited December 2013
    Just wanted to add here too that EA is actually looking into this.

Could anyone that has the issue post here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Info-Request-CRC-Issue-on-installing-patch-1-63-expansion-pack/m-p/2036237
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited December 2013
    CassidythePrincess - You can use a registry cleaner like ccleaner form Piriform (there is a free version)
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.