Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This REALLY upset me last night (Sims fight)

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2013
    There have been reasons I stick with The Sims all these years because they are 'fun'.

What I find amusing, no offense OP, is the fact you are both Sims but you are offended at something you did in the game that affected the other Sim you were not controlling,...though 'you' are both Sims.

I didn't mean to offend you...I just think it is important to have a healthy sense of humor.

They are 'Sims'. I find it a parody within itself some don't want any physical violence in the game whether the Sim promts the violence or the player triggers the violence...but they are perfectly o.k. with using 'potions' to make Sims sick, kill them in some of the series, poison them in TS2 with bad food...gets stomach flu, left unattended they die...scare the crapola out of them with hauntings, abuse them with Sims arguing to the point of verbal abuse..much more scarring IRL than a face slap..

Intimidate them in some way or other, curse at the screen at them when they don't do what we commanded, call them names...like 'stupid'...make them cry, kill off partners when we are tired of this or that one, which 'hurts' the Sim for a short time, allow all sorts of chaos in their little lifes and laugh away...but seeing a Sim walk up and slap another for whatever reason is too much?

I'm sorry but as others have said, if the Gurus think it is not in the spirit of the game...then it is no longer 'The Sims'...which was full of hijink, violence and sexual overtones originally...and now seems more fitted for an eight year old and should just be renamed "Eutopia".

Where nothing at all can be done to the Sim at all due to it may scar them for life....no slapping, no dying, no sadness, no crying, no needing anything, no doing without anything, no need to wish for anything, no need to overcome anything, no need to evey play..because everyday in Eutopia is perfect and nothing...and I do mean nothing is possilbe to happen to them or bring any sadness at all..

These threads are the reason we have such a boring TS3 where nothing happens most of the time..but happy moodlets.

The staple of The Sims was it was called 'diabolically delightful'...perhaps it should remain so and those who don't like how it turns out should seek a more sweeter game...

Too gross, too vivid, too bloody?..yes, shooter games (some of them) are too violent for me...but saying a Sim slap another Sim is too much is imho over the top...because 'you' are both Sims and you just caused yourself to get slapped. If you look at it that way then there is no male or female in the game..only you.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2013
    I wonder though.....was it really the slap? is this really about game violence/abuse and the existence of it in real life? or is this merely the creator sitting back and questioning themselves on the "reasons" and "whys" they imagined, created and entertained such a world to begin with?
    As players we are entertained by the worlds and personalities we create, but sometimes we end up offending ourselves by what we create :roll: ..and the most disturbing fact is that we created it :shock:

.......:lol:

• RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited November 2013
    I remember in one of the old PS2 wrestling games I used to play, you could make men and women beat each other up in the ring but in the next release they changed that to where only men could fight men and women could fight women. I don't know the reason for the change but I assume if a game which revolves around fighting could make such a big change to not offend people than I don't see why EA can't do it.
    But what I find hypocritical is how some people can be OK with seeing a male sim autonomously attack a female sim (because it looks silly) but scream "offensive!" when someone requests having something such as murder or disabilities in the game. In my opinion, it's all the same. I don't like how some people pick and choose what they think is offensive and therefore should not be included in the game and what not. Just be fair and apply it across the board.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:
    I remember in one of the old PS2 wrestling games I used to play, you could make men and women beat each other up in the ring but in the next release they changed that to where only men could fight men and women could fight women. I don't know the reason for the change but I assume if a game which revolves around fighting could make such a big change to not offend people than I don't see why EA can't do it.
    But what I find hypocritical is how some people can be OK with seeing a male sim autonomously attack a female sim (because it looks silly) but scream "offensive!" when someone requests having something such as murder or disabilities in the game. In my opinion, it's all the same. I don't like how some people pick and choose what they think is offensive and therefore should not be included in the game and what not. Just be fair and apply it across the board.

Life itself isn't fair. Believe it or not, but a man slapping a woman isn't actually considered, by society, to be that offensive; in fact, it's a staple of comedy, due to it having once been considered as a cure for hysteria (thus, the source of the phrase "slap some sense"). Give you three guesses what sex was considered the most prone to hysteria.

Murder and disabilities being the same as slapping someone? I'm sorry, but those are not equal. A slap is just that... a brief physical contact that is painful. Murder is the permanently loss of life, and being disabled is the (normally) permanent loss or lack of some inherent function considered normal (such as the use of two hands or ability to comprehend social situations). In particular, the adding of disabilities is offensive because there's no way to do it in most video games without perpetuating some stereotype and being offensive towards disabled people. Notice the inherent part there... the permanence to the latter two? That is how a slap will never be the same as them. And at the same time, murder and disabilities themselves are not equal due to the differences between them.

But, welcome to video games, where a woman's period is not allowed at all by the American ratings board and yet you can have a game aimed towards children that involves committing genocide. Like I said... life isn't fair.

Edit: While I'm at it... let's not forget the series that involves kidnapping wild animals and forcing them to fight each other... and it's a popular series for children. Yeah, we're that screwed up as a society.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited November 2013
    They're Sims. Lighten up and have a sense of humor.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited November 2013

Life itself isn't fair. Believe it or not, but a man slapping a woman isn't actually considered, by society, to be that offensive; in fact, it's a staple of comedy, due to it having once been considered as a cure for hysteria (thus, the source of the phrase "slap some sense"). Give you three guesses what sex was considered the most prone to hysteria..

I have NEVER heard anyone say that a man hitting a woman is comical.
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:

Life itself isn't fair. Believe it or not, but a man slapping a woman isn't actually considered, by society, to be that offensive; in fact, it's a staple of comedy, due to it having once been considered as a cure for hysteria (thus, the source of the phrase "slap some sense"). Give you three guesses what sex was considered the most prone to hysteria.

Murder and disabilities being the same as slapping someone? I'm sorry, but those are not equal. A slap is just that... a brief physical contact that is painful. Murder is the permanently loss of life, and being disabled is the (normally) permanent loss or lack of some inherent function considered normal (such as the use of two hands or ability to comprehend social situations). In particular, the adding of disabilities is offensive because there's no way to do it in most video games without perpetuating some stereotype and being offensive towards disabled people. Notice the inherent part there... the permanence to the latter two? That is how a slap will never be the same as them. And at the same time, murder and disabilities themselves are not equal due to the differences between them.

But, welcome to video games, where a woman's period is not allowed at all by the American ratings board and yet you can have a game aimed towards children that involves committing genocide. Like I said... life isn't fair.

Edit: While I'm at it... let's not forget the series that involves kidnapping wild animals and forcing them to fight each other... and it's a popular series for children. Yeah, we're that screwed up as a society.

If you look at it realistically, yes. A fairly large man slapping his smaller, weaker wife with force can cause brain injury leading to disabilities and she eventually could get murdered if she stays in the relationship. It's all linked in a way.

But that wasn't my point at all. My point was how people who request for EA to put in disabilities and murder in the game get their ideas shot down (the excuse being it's "offensive") by the very same people who are now defending having spousal slapping in the game. I personally don't think it's so unreasonable to have that animation removed, like I've pointed out, they have done it in the past with other video games. The game I was referring to was rated 16 in some countries btw.

And maybe it depends in which society one grows up in, but from my understanding, beating a woman is viewed way more negatively by society than making fun of disabled people, the latter is not even a crime and is mostly committed by children. Does that make children as evil as an abusive partner? I hardly think so.
    Just the other say I was watching Rush Hour 2 and in the fight scene, not once did the writers have Chris Tucker's character lay a hand on that Chinese woman even though she badly hurts him, she kills herself by accident. In so many comedy movies I've seen women beat up men, but I've never seen a guy hit a woman even if she deserves it.
    edited November 2013

Life itself isn't fair. Believe it or not, but a man slapping a woman isn't actually considered, by society, to be that offensive; in fact, it's a staple of comedy, due to it having once been considered as a cure for hysteria (thus, the source of the phrase "slap some sense"). Give you three guesses what sex was considered the most prone to hysteria..

I have NEVER heard anyone say that a man hitting a woman is comical.

Why hear it when you can watch it? Start with the Airplane movies.
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:
    RAE2786 wrote:

If you look at it realistically, yes. A fairly large man slapping his smaller, weaker wife with force can cause brain injury leading to disabilities and she eventually could get murdered if she stays in the relationship. It's all linked in a way.

But that wasn't my point at all. My point was how people who request for EA to put in disabilities and murder in the game get their ideas shot down (the excuse being it's "offensive") by the very same people who are now defending having spousal slapping in the game. I personally don't think it's so unreasonable to have that animation removed, like I've pointed out, they have done it in the past with other video games. The game I was referring to was rated 16 in some countries btw.

And maybe it depends in which society one grows up in, but from my understanding, beating a woman is viewed way more negatively by society than making fun of disabled people, the latter is not even a crime and is mostly committed by children. Does that make children as evil as an abusive partner? I hardly think so.
    Just the other say I was watching Rush Hour 2 and in the fight scene, not once did the writers have Chris Tucker's character lay a hand on that Chinese woman even though she badly hurts him, she kills herself by accident. Even in comedy movies, I've seen women beat up men, but I've never seen a guy hit back even if she deserves it.

It's also been noted that, realistically, women are far more likely to use objects as weapons during such arguments, with those objects having a statistically higher chance of causing serious, permanent injury or termination of life than the slap does in your scenario. Then again, the statistical chance of either of our scenarios coming about, even with current domestic abuse rates, is so insignificant as to be unrealistic. It's typically the violence that involves fists or weapons that results in the permanent injuries and deaths.

But that doesn't change the point that they shouldn't be hitting each other in the first place.

And it depends on which part of any given society you come from. U.S.? One part says hitting women is wrong; one part says hitting them back is okay, but initiating the fight is wrong; one part encourages you to beat them into submission if they even sass you. Want to find the third part? Listen to a lot of gansta rap... and then try to swallow your fear as you remember that's a very popular genre.

As for it being acceptable in comedy? Try the Airplane series and work your way up. Want to see it in action movies? A very good example is Live Free Or Die Hard, where the main hero not only beats the living hell out of a woman twice, but finally kills her outright by dropping a truck on her after knocking her down an empty elevator shaft. Then note the strange lack of complaints in society about either one of the examples I just gave as to the violence against a woman that both displayed.

Or, want to try Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Where Angelina Jolie plays a woman who tries to kill her husband while he tries to kill her (with both of them using firearms and explosives against each other at various points of the movie), ending with both of them beating each other quite hard before the final scene. Note no one complained about the fact he, on several occasions, shot at his wife or the number of occasions where he actually hit her with his fist or used some other kind of harmful body contact.

Or, heck, do I need to bring up the X-men series of movies and Wolverine murdering the woman he is in love with while the audience watches? Yeah, sure, she was actively turning an island into a sand storm... but she still showed, on various occasions, that she cared for him and he still cared for her. Yet, no one has a problem with him stabbing her and ending her life... or with the fact that, in a much earlier movie in that series, he stabbed another woman. And then there's the woman he murdered using adamantium... You know, Wolverine seems to have a slight problem not murdering women. He should get help for that.

Now, note I have included an example of a man murdering a woman he's in love with and another man attempting to murder his own wife and that both of those characters were the heroes of the movies they were in. And no one complained.

So, yes, considering society is apparently okay with men trying to kill their wives in fiction while still being the heroes, I would say that merely slapping a woman being a common part of comedy is actually refreshingly mild.

Like I said, life isn't fair.
  • Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2013
    War of the Roses?? now who didn't laugh their rears off while sitting on the couch watching it with their partner pointing fingers at each other while you laughed...and both the wife and husband ended up killing each other in the end... What a great show!!

I mean come on, this is the Sims! it's not meant to be taken with any seriousness and if sim jenny or sim tommy gets slapped for having an affair..well that's just funny in a game setting and they got what they deserved.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited November 2013
    How is this sims 4 related?

You made the sim cheat. The game is not worse than you are.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:
    RAE2786 wrote:

Just the other say I was watching Rush Hour 2 and in the fight scene, not once did the writers have Chris Tucker's character lay a hand on that Chinese woman even though she badly hurts him, she kills herself by accident. Even in comedy movies, I've seen women beat up men, but I've never seen a guy hit back even if she deserves it.

It's also been noted that, realistically, women are far more likely to use objects as weapons during such arguments, with those objects having a statistically higher chance of causing serious, permanent injury or termination of life than the slap does in your scenario. Then again, the statistical chance of either of our scenarios coming about, even with current domestic abuse rates, is so insignificant as to be unrealistic. It's typically the violence that involves fists or weapons that results in the permanent injuries and deaths.

But that doesn't change the point that they shouldn't be hitting each other in the first place.

And it depends on which part of any given society you come from. U.S.? One part says hitting women is wrong; one part says hitting them back is okay, but initiating the fight is wrong; one part encourages you to beat them into submission if they even sass you. Want to find the third part? Listen to a lot of gansta rap... and then try to swallow your fear as you remember that's a very popular genre.

As for it being acceptable in comedy? Try the Airplane series and work your way up. Want to see it in action movies? A very good example is Live Free Or Die Hard, where the main hero not only beats the living hell out of a woman twice, but finally kills her outright by dropping a truck on her after knocking her down an empty elevator shaft. Then note the strange lack of complaints in society about either one of the examples I just gave as to the violence against a woman that both displayed.

Or, want to try Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Where Angelina Jolie plays a woman who tries to kill her husband while he tries to kill her (with both of them using firearms and explosives against each other at various points of the movie), ending with both of them beating each other quite hard before the final scene. Note no one complained about the fact he, on several occasions, shot at his wife or the number of occasions where he actually hit her with his fist or used some other kind of harmful body contact.

Or, heck, do I need to bring up the X-men series of movies and Wolverine murdering the woman he is in love with while the audience watches? Yeah, sure, she was actively turning an island into a sand storm... but she still showed, on various occasions, that she cared for him and he still cared for her. Yet, no one has a problem with him stabbing her and ending her life... or with the fact that, in a much earlier movie in that series, he stabbed another woman. And then there's the woman he murdered using adamantium... You know, Wolverine seems to have a slight problem not murdering women. He should get help for that.

Now, note I have included an example of a man murdering a woman he's in love with and another man attempting to murder his own wife and that both of those characters were the heroes of the movies they were in. And no one complained.

So, yes, considering society is apparently okay with men trying to kill their wives in fiction while still being the heroes, I would say that merely slapping a woman being a common part of comedy is actually refreshingly mild.

Lol I don't even know where this is going... I most certainly was not supporting the idea that women should be throwing dangerous objects during arguments. There isn't even an option for that in the game to begin with. I'm against violence from BOTH sides.

Anyway in response to the rest, Airplane is quite an old movie don't you think? Early 80's we're talking about. Back then the public approval of a man slapping a woman was much higher than it is now.

As for the other movies you've mentioned, you're not really comparing apples with apples. The scene in which Wolverine kills Jean was heart-breaking and sad for both of them. Besides that, Wolverine, Live Free Or Die Hard, etc, are all action movies and those scenes are all important to the story line. The Wolverine scene actually carries on into the next movie, the poor chap was being tormented by his decision.

So I can accept those types of scenes when they're important to the story. Like I'm a huge fan of the Tomb Raider games (I say that a lot lol) and there are many violent scenes in there where she gets badly attacked by men, but the reason it's OK is because that's part of the game and it's important to the story and her character development. Btw I don't live in America, I live in South Africa where violence against women is pretty horrific and this is why many people try to educate our children and society on why violence against women should not be tolerated at all.

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm getting involved in this because I don't even really care, the animation doesn't even bother me much, but I can understand why it would bother other people. I just think this sort of thing shouldn't be an autonomous reaction to cheating no matter how funny it looks because it might bring up bad memories for some people just like how it would be for disabled people if someone were to mock disabled sims in the game for example.

Edit: Messed up last sentence.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:
    RAE2786 wrote:
    RAE2786 wrote:

Lol I don't even know where this is going... I most certainly was not supporting the idea that women should be throwing dangerous objects during arguments. There isn't even an option for that in the game to begin with. I'm against violence from BOTH sides.

Anyway in response to the rest, Airplane is quite an old movie don't you think? Early 80's we're talking about. Back then the public approval of a man slapping a woman was much higher than it is now.

As for the other movies you've mentioned, you're not really comparing apples with apples. The scene in which Wolverine kills Jean was heart-breaking and sad for both of them. Besides that, Wolverine, Live Free Or Die Hard, etc, are all action movies and those scenes are all important to the story line. The Wolverine scene actually carries on into the next movie, the poor chap was being tormented by his decision.

So I can accept those types of scenes when they're important to the story. Like I'm a huge fan of the Tomb Raider games (I say that a lot lol) and there are many violent scenes in there where she gets badly attacked by men, but the reason it's OK is because that's part of the game and it's important to the story and her character development. Btw I don't live in America, I live in South Africa where violence against women is pretty horrific and this is why many people try to educate our children and society on why violence against women should not be tolerated at all.

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm getting involved in this because I don't even really care, the animation doesn't even bother me much, but I can understand why it would bother other people. I just think this sort of thing shouldn't be an autonomous reaction to cheating no matter how funny it looks because it might bring up bad memories for some people who are for example playing with their simselves for example.

To be honest, this is going along the lines of pointing out how unreasonable it is to complain about a slap in a video game when other media depicts far worse.

Also, your earlier Rush Hour 2 example? That's an action movie... I was pointing out other action movies where what you brought up in relation to it is not true.

Finally, right here is where you put the nail in your own coffin for calling people hypocrites: "So I can accept those types of scenes when they're important to the story."

So slapping a woman, when it's depicted in media is bad for people to defend when they condemn other things as just as bad... but you defend outright murdering women in media while saying slapping them is bad? After equating murder and slapping a woman as being the same thing in terms of wrongness?

It's called "moral relativism." Most people practice it. It's where something considered inherently evil can be less evil or not evil under certain circumstances and where there are varying levels of evil. So while you called people hypocritical earlier for practicing it, you turned around and did the same exact thing much later on and did it using two different items you had earlier argued were equally wrong to say one of them is less wrong in some circumstances just because it was important to a story. In that case, you are contradicting your earlier statement that they are equal by turning around and defending keeping murder in some fiction after challenging people who defended keeping slapping in this piece of fiction.

Ultimately, this was leading towards this post. Towards making you understand how it is people can say one thing is okay and condemn another... by having you do exactly the same thing yourself. Which I knew you would do.

As for those pieces of comedy (Airplane movies) being old: Then why are all of the jokes about slapping women like they're prostitutes so common these days? All it did was change mediums; it never left comedy. Because, sadly, as much as humanity wants to delude and lie to itself, the truth is that humanity doesn't change.
  • KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    edited November 2013
    Keffers wrote:
    I think it is one of the best things about the Sim series. It's very a-sexual. It pretty much ignores gender.

Something the world should be too. We should start thinking more individually and not stressing about fitting the gender roles that society is pushing down our throats.
    WsYdHZD.jpg

edited November 2013
    To be honest, this is going along the lines of pointing out how unreasonable it is to complain about a slap in a video game when other media depicts far worse.

Also, your earlier Rush Hour 2 example? That's an action movie... I was pointing out other action movies where what you brought up in relation to it is not true.

Finally, right here is where you put the nail in your own coffin for calling people hypocrites: "So I can accept those types of scenes when they're important to the story."

So slapping a woman, when it's depicted in media is bad for people to defend when they condemn other things as just as bad... but you defend outright murdering women in media while saying slapping them is bad? After equating murder and slapping a woman as being the same thing in terms of wrongness?

It's called "moral relativism." Most people practice it. It's where something considered inherently evil can be less evil or not evil under certain circumstances and where there are varying levels of evil. So while you called people hypocritical earlier for practicing it, you turned around and did the same exact thing much later on and did it using two different items you had earlier argued were equally wrong to say one of them is less wrong in some circumstances just because it was important to a story. In that case, you are contradicting your earlier statement that they are equal by turning around and defending keeping murder in some fiction after challenging people who defended keeping slapping in this piece of fiction.

Ultimately, this was leading towards this post. Towards making you understand how it is people can say one thing is okay and condemn another... by having you do exactly the same thing yourself. Which I knew you would do.

As for those pieces of comedy (Airplane movies) being old: Then why are all of the jokes about slapping women like they're prostitutes so common these days? All it did was change mediums; it never left comedy. Because, sadly, as much as humanity wants to delude and lie to itself, the truth is that humanity doesn't change.

Huh?!

Wait, how was I defending "outright murdering women in media?" The Phoenix took over Jean, she was out there destroying everything in her path. Now there's a big difference between killing people and cheating on your partner. Like I said before in that Rush Hour 2 example I gave, imo that Chinese woman deserved to face a cruel end because she killed many people. A woman who cheats on her partner does not physically hurt him, so she should not get slapped in the head. And the same should go for men who cheat.
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:

Huh?!

Wait, how was I defending "outright murdering women in media?" The Phoenix took over Jean, she was out there destroying everything in her path. Now there's a big difference between killing people and cheating on your partner. Like I said before in that Rush Hour 2 example I gave, imo that Chinese woman deserved to face a cruel end because she killed many people. A woman who cheats on her partner does not physically hurt him, so she should not get slapped in the head. And the same should go for men who cheat.

The Phoenix didn't take over Jean; the Phoenix was Jean. The separation between the two identities is because Xavier played around with her mind.

As for how you justify it? You sit there and give reasons why killing her was okay. Murder is murder; it doesn't matter if the victim is an innocent or a murderer themselves. And Wolverine wasn't bringing her to justice; she herself was a victim of psychological abuse and now everyone was seeing the result. Nor was he trying to stop her from taking lives, or he certainly would have made some effort long before he did. Especially after she killed Xavier, the very person who psychologically damaged her in the first place. All he was doing was ending a life of a psychologically scarred woman who had been repeatedly manipulated... and who loved him enough not to make the real effort to kill him.

So you tell me... in what way is killing someone who is so psychologically damaged and so heavily manipulated that they can't be reasonably said to have any idea what they're doing anything except murder?

And I agree the slapping shouldn't happen. The emotional harm will, in time, pass. It always does. Humans are far more resilient than they think they are.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2013
    For the sake of argument why is 'cheating' not considered as damaging emotionally as getting a face slap? That is the question OP.

Scars from being betrayed are much deeper and wider and last longer than a face slap. But for some it's o.k. that is the farce in this entire thread... and you expected the other Sim to do what?

I think you just started this thread to be controversial. If you want the future game to be more politically correct..then guess what Sims won't have an option to flirt, betray, cheat, lie, steal, argue, etc. Be clear about your motives, please. Do you want a game that is a 'parordy' of life..which may have some slap stick comedy in it depicting Sims gettig slapped or do you want a Barbie Eutopia?

No one has said IRL slapping is o.k...but neither is cheating sinse it may take an individual years and years to get over the hurt feelings, and those type of emotions 'do' affect every aspect of their life..where as a small face slap can sometimes be forgiven.

Again, what response did you want the other Sim to have when he found out your female Sim had cheated and broken one of the highest most important promises a person makes to another?

I'm betting you are in the camp that thinks it's o.k. if a female finds out a male cheated to go over and key his car, flatten his tires, break a windshield right...be careful who you call hypocrites.

Is violence bad..yes, but sometimes it is a necessary evil..and reponse to other evils..or some of us would be speaking German right now.

IT is The Sims...not Barbie Moves To Eutopia.

ETA: The only reason I commented on this thread is because you have typed in capitals letters 'Really' in your header as if the face slap was so over whelming it was horrid to see. For others that also find it offensive...then I have to ask have you examined lately what you do with your Sims? how is that any better? How is cheating o.k. and should be in this game..whether married, dating and or partners or whatever...let's say just dating..should cheating be weeded out altogether? Do we want a Barbie game or do we want The Sims? that is the question.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • hyperchild623hyperchild623 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited November 2013
    You guys really took this waaaay too deep. I thought this conversation was originally about the story of a fictional man smacking a fictional woman in a game.

Now my two cents on it is that of course it isn't okay, but it also bugs me that it's totally okay to slap a man just because he's "Supposed to be tough". I'm one for equality, that doesn't mean I think that slapping eachother is okay. It's not, but in the Sims it's a different thing. For starters, sims are equal. If a girl slaps a guy, he can slap her right back because in the Sim world, as I'd like to imagine, it's equal.

It just irks me when people get upset that a woman gets hit, but feel nothing for when it happens to a man. If you smack anyone, regardless of gender, then be prepared to get smacked back or don't do it at all. If you hit a man and he stoops down to the same level as you and hits you back, don't go crying out abuse. You both hit eachother. And that's not okay.

That's my unpopular opinion.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited November 2013
    You guys really took this waaaay too deep.

I agree...seems like way too much drama over something that's been in the game for a long time. This discussion has become more social commentary than anything else. I think it's threads like this that have gotten The Sims, dumbed down, tamed, sanitized, made more PC and in the end less surprising and ultimately less fun.

I loved the quirks, the borderline raunchy humor, the slapstick, the satire and all the game used to have.

And honestly....why can a 'Sim slap' create so many comments and yet the forum is filled with subjects like having 100 babies, toddler beauty contests and very sexualized Sims made with custom content?

AND....I'm NOT saying there is anything wrong with any of it....it's the way people choose to play their game. Heaven knows I sometimes use mods in my game to make it more interesting and I've even had things going on that could make the Jerry Springer Show.

It's a simple solution...if you don't want the possibility of something happening keep the situation out of your game. Like TV, if you're offended by a TV show....change the channel.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    edited November 2013
    Murder is murder; it doesn't matter if the victim is an innocent or a murderer themselves.

Murder is illegal and killing can be legal in cases where you're defending yourself or trying to save people from the harm that person is causing. A partner who cheats causes emotional harm, not physical harm to the other one, so they should face the same consequence, and irl most the time they do. Their reputation gets ruined and you can choose to get a divorce. So violence is not the way to resolve that situation. No matter how much you think slapping your partner is nothing "serious," it's still a form of physical abuse and can get you thrown in jail.
    edited November 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:
    Murder is murder; it doesn't matter if the victim is an innocent or a murderer themselves.

Murder is illegal and killing can be legal in cases where you're defending yourself or trying to save people from the harm that person is causing. A partner who cheats causes emotional harm, not physical harm to the other one, so they should face the same consequence, and irl most the time they do. Their reputation gets ruined and you can choose to get a divorce. So violence is not the way to resolve that situation. No matter how much you think slapping your partner is nothing "serious," it's still a form of physical abuse and can get you thrown in jail.

But you also have to prove the person knew what they were doing when they caused that harm. That's part of the problem with self-defense... if there's any reason to believe it's a case of the other person not knowing what they were doing, then the idea you had a reasonable fear for your life or for the lives of others goes out the window.

I do not disagree on the violence aspect... But, at the same time, this is a parody video game. It's poking fun at something that is a pretty common element of a lot of media entertainment. If you want to fix the problem, you don't start with a byproduct; you start with the actual problem. Sims series is a byproduct... you want to fix the problem, you have to start with women's media, where such depictions are most common. You have to fix those first. Good luck.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited November 2013
    Personally, I'm hoping for MORE violence in TS4, not necessarily blood and gore, but more interesting fights... Maybe something like (WARNING CARTOON VIOLENCE): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA

:)
    raw
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited November 2013
    That's just so hypocritical, I Can't stand it when females complain about wanting equality then cry when they get hit. I don't believe ANYONE should be hitting people period. Men should not hit women. and women should not hit men. I believe in equality and that's the beautiful part of the sims, they are equal. It's ok for a little boy to walk around in a princess outfit (Generations) it's ok for a girl to play sports and kiss girls. (Which all of that is ok in real life but there are very homophobic people) My point is there are no gender roles in sims. A boy can wear a dress and princess outfits, be a diva and marry another boy. A girl can be a muscular hairy jock who goes around beating people up and marrying another women. That's the way it should be. As other people posted, would you feel as upset if the woman hit the male? No your sim deserved it. In real life if you cheated you wouldn't deserve a slap, whether male or female but this is the SIMS. It's a GAME. You should really calm down. Nobody should be hitting each other period, if you want to be equal then nobody hits anybody. Just my two cents, in real life I Don't hit anyone whether male or female except self defense.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited November 2013
    I personally think you all should smack yourself upside the head and get back to reality. :lol::lol:

I mean come on!!!!!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi :D

I didn't read all the replies but Sure! I let my little Sims have lots of drama.

Normally I only let the Sims I made to be that way have their fun and break up marriages... go and have a few slap fests, a few fights.

My Sims have equal slap rights! ... No gnome stealing though. That's a no-no. :shock:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top