Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing our family generations

Ok, so I love playing families as I have a huge Sim family but I REALLY want to know if anyone has heard anything about being able to play your Sims generations. I really loved being able to play my Sims son's family or my Sims daughter's family after they moved out (like in Sims2). I loved this feature of The Sims 2 and when I realized The Sims 3 didn't have it I was so disappointed.Now, in The Sims 3 I know I can play my children's family when they move out by making them my active family but then my original family is moving on and I can't be involved. OH PLEASE tell me that generation play will be an option. *sigh* :(

Comments

• Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited October 2013
    I doubt that it will be included because that requires time to freeze in one household while the other is played. They MIGHT allow us to freeze one household while we play others, though - but that would be a complex little bit of programming to satisfy a small segment of the fandom.

Then there are questions about what can happen to the frozen family - can their relationships change while they are 'frozen'? Do they even appear in game as NPCs, or will they be literally frozen on their lot? If you play a family with relationships with the frozen family, will those relationships decline over time? I don't think it would be as fun to be able to play a child's family when there parents can't visit.
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited October 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:
    I doubt that it will be included because that requires time to freeze in one household while the other is played. They MIGHT allow us to freeze one household while we play others, though - but that would be a complex little bit of programming to satisfy a small segment of the fandom.

Then there are questions about what can happen to the frozen family - can their relationships change while they are 'frozen'? Do they even appear in game as NPCs, or will they be literally frozen on their lot? If you play a family with relationships with the frozen family, will those relationships decline over time? I don't think it would be as fun to be able to play a child's family when there parents can't visit.

If Twallan can do it blindfolded, I'm sure it's not much trouble for EA to include.
  • Options
    livermorelivermore Posts: 53
    edited October 2013
    YES I would really love it if we could easily maneuver between generations (how was it in sims 2, i dont remember i havent played in so long?) That would make it so much fun for everyone, especially story tellers.
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited October 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:

If Twallan can do it blindfolded, I'm sure it's not much trouble for EA to include.

I don't think it's a matter of if it can be done, as much as whether or not they want to include it. The whole point of modding the game is to make it your own- and certainly, not everyone wants this feature. Twallan has said himself that the mods he makes are to expand the interactions with the neighborhood as he likes to play- but not everyone plays like that.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited October 2013

Twallan can do A TON of stuff blindfolded that seems to escape EA entirely... :hunf: Honestly, I've lost count of the things they've said are "impossible" that he routinely does with his mods.
  • Options
    treelifetreelife Posts: 254
    edited October 2013
    Halle_M wrote:

Twallan can do A TON of stuff blindfolded that seems to escape EA entirely... :hunf: Honestly, I've lost count of the things they've said are "impossible" that he routinely does with his mods.

Lol, too true, :)
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited October 2013
    I don't play that way, I love doing a A-Z Generation Family challenge, I have some rules, first they must have "Love the outdoors" trait.
    Second they can have only one child, I always make it a boy so to carry on the name. Third rule, no one moves out.
    So then the first married couple, has a son, named with a A, he grows up and marries. Now you have his mother, Father and Grand mother, Grand Father and new wife, they have a baby, everyone stays in the family.
    This way I get to play still with them all, Nice to see the grand parents with the grand child, reading to them, helping take care to the child. By the time the B grandchild grows up the Grand parents are deceased, and life goes on.
    Love playing this way. Only need a 3 bedroom house. Always have one floor, I like to see where everyone is and what they are doing. I have went from A-Z already and am now starting over continuing with the same family. the only thing is I have started this generation with a Alien child as the Father Zackary was Abducted so I have Kannan and he is going to starting the next generation, with A-Z. He just turned young adult and is right now in ITF. I really want to marry him with a real Alien or part real Alien as I would like to keep the Alien side going, I hope he gets Abducted.:D
    Have already had my test sim Abducted in ITF.
    I might put a test sim again in ITF and see if he can get abducted, the only thing is I want a girl I can age up for my Alien Sim.
  • Options
    busylizzy1218busylizzy1218 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Evalen wrote:
    I don't play that way, I love doing a A-Z Generation Family challenge, I have some rules, first they must have "Love the outdoors" trait.
    Second they can have only one child, I always make it a boy so to carry on the name. Third rule, no one moves out.
    So then the first married couple, has a son, named with a A, he grows up and marries. Now you have his mother, Father and Grand mother, Grand Father and new wife, they have a baby, everyone stays in the family.
    This way I get to play still with them all, Nice to see the grand parents with the grand child, reading to them, helping take care to the child. By the time the B grandchild grows up the Grand parents are deceased, and life goes on.
    Love playing this way. Only need a 3 bedroom house. Always have one floor, I like to see where everyone is and what they are doing. I have went from A-Z already and am now starting over continuing with the same family. the only thing is I have started this generation with a Alien child as the Father Zackary was Abducted so I have Kannan and he is going to starting the next generation, with A-Z. He just turned young adult and is right now in ITF. I really want to marry him with a real Alien or part real Alien as I would like to keep the Alien side going, I hope he gets Abducted.:D
    Have already had my test sim Abducted in ITF.
    I might put a test sim again in ITF and see if he can get abducted, the only thing is I want a girl I can age up for my Alien Sim.
    Hey that is a pretty cool idea! I'm not really into the alien thing but the way you keep your family going strong is awesome!!! Thanks for the idea! :D
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I agree with OP, I don't like being stuck with one family....at all.

I believe that is one of the reasons that ts3 gets so boring for me. I find I always go back to ts2 and only come visit my ts3 sims once in a while. Right now I'm on a 3 kick b/c I just got the last ep, but as soon as I get bored with this little sim, I'll be going back to 2.

I think if they need to add that story progression thing again, then I hope they allow us to designate families for a "Story Progression - Hands OFF option" on ones I want to play. And I hope they do not limit how many families I can do that to.

B/c quite frankly, I don't have any interest in the game playing my sims for me. I really am quite capable of playing this game all by myself. I don't need or want the game to do it at all.

I don't care what happens to sims I didn't make or were not born to one of my families. If they stay the same age forever, so be it. They are uninteresting to me. But if I choose to play one, then fine, I'll add it to my game, otherwise, I don't care.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    lpmartinlpmartin Posts: 163
    edited October 2013
    I am the odd simmer, I guess.
    I don't like the time freeze. I want all the familes to progress. Yes, even the ones that I create (I always kill off the pre-made ones, anyway and re-create all new sims). I have to say that I prefer TS3 style progression over TS2 style.