Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a school in Oasis Landing? Can children visit the Future?

I was looking at the Oasis Landing map and I couldn't tell if there is a school or not:

http://www.simfans.de/specials/entdecke_sims3_into-the-future/

I know that I saw a pic of playground items, so can children visit Oasis Landing, or is it teens and older?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I thought that I read someplace that children can't time-travel. I know pets can't. So, I'm just trying to clear up my confusion.

Also, if there is a school and since sims can live indefinitely in the future, will they have experiences that come with the Generations EP in Oasis Landing?

Happy Simming!

Comments

• Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited October 2013
    We've seen pictures of children and toddlers in the future, though I have no idea if there is a school, (I assume there is). What they meant was that children cannot travel to the future on their own.
  • wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited October 2013
    Well that was confusing then. I hope that's what they meant. I understand they'd need an adult to travel to the future. I thought they meant they couldn't go at all. But then they said your sims can live in the future forever if they choose, so they would age then right? :shock: In some ways they made it sound like your sims could have/bring their family to the future, including kids, and live out their lives/generations there. In others they made it sound like a no, made me wonder then which is it? I know they can't bring pets, which is sad but I wonder if they could get pets in the future? Whether through CAS or shop? :shock:

Don't get me wrong though no matter what i'm SUPER excited for this EP. Bring on the PEPS! :mrgreen:
  • Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited October 2013
    OK, that makes sense that children can't travel on their own without a teen or adult. But, I, too, was confused as I thought I heard otherwise. But, it didn't make sense with the pics we've seen (I think there is a new toddler highchair, etc.).

Thank you for clearing that up.

I still wonder about the school possibly missing and whether any features of Generations EP will be available to our sims since they can live indefinitely in Oasis Landing.

If anyone knows about the above, I'd love to know. :)
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited October 2013
    Doesn't it make sense that if you could move there and live that you would bring your family. Or do you think that you would leave them behind or give them up. :-)
  • SarlyssiaSarlyssia Posts: 61 Member
    edited October 2013
    Evalen wrote:
    Doesn't it make sense that if you could move there and live that you would bring your family. Or do you think that you would leave them behind or give them up. :-)
    Since you can't take your pets with you and I definitely would not leave those behind that is debatable. :wink: But yes I know that pets and children are not quite the same and some people leave their pets if they move over a great distance. :)
  • dsefdsef Posts: 1,219 Member
    edited October 2013
    Well we are talking about oasis landing here, and all the buildings are futuristic, which means the school won't look like the ones in all the other sims world, it will be more High-Tech and hard to find. :roll:
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited October 2013
    In the future, knowledge is not taught. It is absorbed directly into the mind via cybernetic implant. Thus no need for schools. :lol:

On a serious note, as the above sounds a little frightening, I'm thinking there will surely be a school somewhere. It just won't look anything like a school.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sarlyssia wrote:
    Evalen wrote:
    Since you can't take your pets with you and I definitely would not leave those behind that is debatable. :wink: But yes I know that pets and children are not quite the same and some people leave their pets if they move over a great distance. :)

I agree about the pets, I would even in the sims have a hard time leaving my pet behind. So if I was playing a pet, (dog, cat, or horse) I would not move to Into the Future, visit yes, but move?, not until my pet went beyond.
  • pseudoxscapepseudoxscape Posts: 38 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Slightly off topic, but I was just looking at that map... the shipwrecked houseboats and abandoned boardwalk in the wasteland are so depressing! I mean it makes for a really cool atmosphere, but still. :cry:
    edited October 2013
    I'm hoping that if there is a school (and I'm just missing it b/c it's futuristic-looking), that the team took time to create more gameplay interactions for families and children, too. Hopefully, stuff that we haven't heard yet.

Because they did take care to recolor several childhood objects (highchair, playground equipment, clothes), so it would be nice if they went a step ahead and gave us more family features since they can live ITF indefinitely.

I'm hopeful, despite knowing EA's track-record.

EDIT:

pseudoxscape, just saw your post. I don't know what I am going to do with the abandoned boardwalk. It's great for fitting into the whole background story of Oasis Landing, but to be honest, I would have preferred a beautiful ocean to play with in the future.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited October 2013
    Slightly off topic, but I was just looking at that map... the shipwrecked houseboats and abandoned boardwalk in the wasteland are so depressing! I mean it makes for a really cool atmosphere, but still. :cry:
    I agree with you partly. I think it fits perfect for the dystopian type of Oasis Landing. The normal type is - well - I can live with it but an ocean would sure look way better.
    However it looks definitely displaced in the Utopian type of Oasis Landing.
    In one of the videos was a mention about solving a riddle and therefore I still hope we can make the ocean come back to Utopia. Just imagine that picture! *PutSmileyWithHeartEyesHere*
    This space is for rent.
  • pseudoxscapepseudoxscape Posts: 38 New Member
    edited October 2013
    EDIT:

pseudoxscape, just saw your post. I don't know what I am going to do with the abandoned boardwalk. It's great for fitting into the whole background story of Oasis Landing, but to be honest, I would have preferred a beautiful ocean to play with in the future.
    I agree with you partly. I think it fits perfect for the dystopian type of Oasis Landing. The normal type is - well - I can live with it but an ocean would sure look way better.
    In one of the videos was a mention about solving a riddle and therefore I still hope we can make the ocean come back to Utopia. Just imagine that picture! *PutSmileyWithHeartEyesHere*

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought about the different versions of the future. I haven't looked up much on ITF yet. I guess I assumed the ocean (or some kind of rainbow water, lol) would be there in the utopia version. Assumptions are dangerous though, and as much as I love The Sims, EA has a tendency to sometimes only do things halfway or completely miss opportunities altogether.

I suppose we'll find out in a few weeks. :)
  • Silence731Silence731 Posts: 305 Member
    edited October 2013
    didn't read all the posts but homeschooling maybe? plumbot teachers for homeschooling would be cool
    edited October 2013
    Silence731 wrote:
    didn't read all the posts but homeschooling maybe? plumbot teachers for homeschooling would be cool

That's a great idea, Silence731. :)
  • LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited October 2013
    Silence731 wrote:

That would be fun! Only if we don't have to control the child to make them learn, or control the plumbot to teach :) We could build a childs study room for it :)
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:

The picture would be of a giant underwater graveyard, with your sim soon joining the dead as soon as they arrived.

Take a look at the elevations of the wasteland around Oasis Landing, then at Oasis Landing itself. Oasis Landing is situated on what used to be the ocean floor. If you brought the ocean back, Oasis Landing would be under water.

Solving the riddle of how it came to be doesn't necessarily mean you could, or should, prevent it from being.
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    I just got your answer for you, about the school at least, from Sim Guru Lauren on Twitter.

"There isn't a school in Oasis Landing, but you can Edit Town and place one if you want to!"

There you have it! :mrgreen:

She's currently taking questions via @TheSims3 if you hurry over there.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited October 2013
    GlamSugar wrote:
    I just got your answer for you, about the school at least, from Sim Guru Lauren on Twitter.

"There isn't a school in Oasis Landing, but you can Edit Town and place one if you want to!"

Lunar Lakes should come in very handy if we can place rabbit holes in Oasis Landing.
    They all look the same, but they are small and very futuristic.
    Screenshot-863.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited October 2013
    GlamSugar wrote:

Thank you for asking for me. I really appreciate as I don't use Twitter.

This is exciting that the RHs (I think) work properly in Oasis Landing. That opens the world a lot, especially if you have LL like CK213 said. I hope that the Generations EP works in Oasis Landing, too!

EDIT:

I reviewed the Twitter feed and it looks like not all RHs work in Oasis Landing, as you are limited to the 3 careers in the game.

But, I'm happy about the school and possibly other stuff working from EPs in Oasis Landing. I'll have to do a lot of testing, I think.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited October 2013
    Laurin says no schools in Oasis Landing but you can place one there.
  • Dan1el1996Dan1el1996 Posts: 124 Member
    edited October 2013

So stupid! If we put out a school out in the world, so it will just look strange. Because everything else is modern, and while the school looks just like it appears on the ''present'' time... uhh...

Hope at least all the jobs are there, or is it stupid to say that ''we can stay there'' when none of the things we need to live aren't there.
  • adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited October 2013
    Dan1el1996 wrote:

So stupid! If we put out a school out in the world, so it will just look strange. Because everything else is modern, and while the school looks just like it appears on the ''present'' time... uhh...

Hope at least all the jobs are there, or is it stupid to say that ''we can stay there'' when none of the things we need to live aren't there.

Well if you have Lunar Lakes, they have all buildings that look like these futuristic subway stations, including the schools. I'm gonna add one of those in there.
  • Dan1el1996Dan1el1996 Posts: 124 Member
    edited October 2013
    adventfear wrote:
    Dan1el1996 wrote:

Well if you have Lunar Lakes, they have all buildings that look like these futuristic subway stations, including the schools. I'm gonna add one of those in there.

Iknow, iknow, but I just think its stupid that I need to buy Lunar Lakes for for complete the town.
    But, yeah.. Who needs school? xp
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited October 2013
    Dan1el1996 wrote:

Actually we could place the one from Lunar Lakes there. That school goes with the future theme.
  • cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited October 2013
    Not on topic but similar. if we can place a school and assuming we can place other RH, eg a science building, does that mean we can be employed as a scientist in OL. I was a bit surprised to learn only self-employed and bot careers were in the future, with the theory you could live in OL forever?