Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Will it load any faster?" Answered by Sim Guru Ryan!

This is a video interview that Rachybop had with King and Ryan. Ryan's response is that, "It's hard to say.." He did say that they are doing a lot of work to make sure the game runs great. I have yet to hear or read any official information related to the graphics being for the sake of causing less lag issues. If any of you have official information related to this then post it here. But I am seeing a lot of people posting that the graphics are for the sake of causing less lag while playing, and I have seen no official information about this whatsoever.

Skip to about 8:49 in this video to hear Ryan's full response.
http://youtu.be/lODEvGYs6Rc

This thread is NOT to say that the game will be laggy. It's simply for the sake of clarifying the issue. Again, feel free to post any official information about the game's graphics and style in this thread. I'm sure there's more information out there somewhere than just this one video.

I personally think the graphics look the way they do for the sake of the new Sims creation system. Being able to push and pull Sim bodies in various ways may not leave room for many complicated graphics styles, hence the plastic look. That's just an opinion, and not official information. :mrgreen:

Comments

• kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited October 2013
    GlamSugar wrote:
    This is a video interview that Rachybop had with King and Ryan. Ryan's response is that, "It's hard to say.." He did say that they are doing a lot of work to make sure the game runs great. I have yet to hear or read any official information related to the graphics being for the sake of causing less lag issues. If any of you have official information related to this then post it here. But I am seeing a lot of people posting that the graphics are for the sake of causing less lag while playing, and I have seen no official information about this whatsoever.

Skip to about 8:49 in this video to hear Ryan's full response.
    http://youtu.be/lODEvGYs6Rc

This thread is NOT to say that the game will be laggy. It's simply for the sake of clarifying the issue. Again, feel free to post any official information about the game's graphics and style in this thread. I'm sure there's more information out there somewhere than just this one video.

I personally think the graphics look the way they do for the sake of the new Sims creation system. Being able to push and pull Sim bodies in various ways may not leave room for many complicated graphics styles, hence the plastic look. That's just an opinion, and not official information. :mrgreen:

Oh my. That interview was so awkward. It made me feel so uncomfortable watching it. :? I feel like 'Rachybop' needs to have more charisma, as she's a little boring.

Also SimGuru Ryan seemed really uninterested, and upset. He was a little rude.

I just feel like this is another 'no comment' interview. Ryan avoided pretty much every question. Ugh. I just want some real information already.

Thanks for the link though :D
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    Sure thing!

I would have liked more solid answers, too. I guess it's pretty early to get much straight information about TS4 yet.

I think Ryan looks a bit tired in recent interviews. He's probably not allowed to say a whole lot, either. I'd feel tired too if everyone was asking me a million questions and I couldn't really disclose a whole lot. Just imagine weeks or months of doing that. I'd go raving mad.

King's always pretty bubbly, but I think that's his specialty. :mrgreen:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2013
    GlamSugar wrote:
    Sure thing!

I would have liked more solid answers, too. I guess it's pretty early to get much straight information about TS4 yet.

I think Ryan looks a bit tired in recent interviews. He's probably not allowed to say a whole lot, either. I'd feel tired too if everyone was asking me a million questions and I couldn't really disclose a whole lot. Just imagine weeks or months of doing that. I'd go raving mad.

They are not going to come out and say the following:

'Hey, TS4 was originally a cross platform game you can play on your 'iPad, through your mobile phone, etc. and online game...but in early 2012..after the release and backlash of SC5 we saw how this might not be such a great idea and chucked TS4' "But we had so much money invested....we tried to salvage what we could of it and turn it into a 'single player' offline game...for PC'...

No, they can't say that...

ETA: source..BeyondSims site just as respected as SimsVIP...confirmed this game was an online game...the reason for the graphics for one thing and the fact it looks like Sim Social in so many realms of likeness..not the 'look' of the Sim but everything else...
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited October 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    GlamSugar wrote:
    Sure thing!

'Hey, TS4 was originally a cross platform game you can play on your 'iPad, through your mobile phone, etc. and online game...but in early 2012..after the release and backlash of SC5 we saw how this might not be such a great idea and chucked TS4' "But we had so much money invested....we tried to salvage what we could of it and turn it into a 'single player' offline game...for PC'...

ETA: source..BeyondSims site just as respected as SimsVIP...confirmed this game was an online game...the reason for the graphics for one thing and the fact it looks like Sim Social in so many realms of likeness..not the 'look' of the Sim but everything else...

ROFL! I was actually wondering if that might have been the case. It would explain an awful lot.
  • Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited October 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    GlamSugar wrote:
    Sure thing!

That's a real shame. I was wondering why so many screenshots reminded me of and looked exactly like the sims social.. and that's why. :?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm going to believe BeyondSims on this one, simply because Grant has stated more than once this game is in 'early development'...

Think about it..if this game was in 'development' in 2010...leaked by a former EA employee...who supposedly got fired for leaking about TS4...
    then one of EA spokesperson..stated recently they 'decided after SC but not because of SC' TS4 would be a single player game/offline'...

Why it is still in 'early development'. It confirms what BeyondSims said several months ago buried on their site. I mean you can't build a game in a year..or they normally don't..not a series game..sounds a whole lot like yes, we dumped the online game, salvaged what we could and started over with what we could salvage.

I mean 'early development' would have been 4 years ago..not now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited October 2013
    They said the same thing about Sims-3 will load faster. And it did untill you get all the expansions packs and patches, lol. :)
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited October 2013
    They said the same thing about Sims-3 will load faster. And it did untill you get all the expansions packs and patches, lol.
    This. LOL. :D

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but I'd rather have full CASt and have the game load more slowly, than have it load super fast and not be able to change my Sim's clothes to any pattern or color I wish. Just sayin'. :wink:
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    They said the same thing about Sims-3 will load faster. And it did untill you get all the expansions packs and patches, lol. :)

I always see claims of "It will load faster" and ponder this question: Load faster than what? I want to know what they're comparing the load time to. If, say, it's the amount of time it takes a walrus to run a marathon, like with Sims 3, then the claim is technically true, but at the same time warns us to be prepared to make snacks, get drinks, do our shopping, invade and conquer France, invent a new method of making batteries that will revolutionize modern science, and discover some new quirk of physics while waiting on the game to load.
  • MysteryJokerMysteryJoker Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited October 2013
    Better question is if they're working on optimizing their engine. Payday 2 loads faster than the Sims 3 and that game is running a horrid engine.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited October 2013
    :twisted: Well it is bound to load faster to begin with than Sims 3 does as it will have a ton of content less to load than 3 and all its packs . :twisted:
  • zanesaaomgfanzanesaaomgfan Posts: 1,469 Member
    edited October 2013
    It loads fast for them because the computers they use have like Internet Explorer and Sims ONLY. They don't test on daily/average computers.

Also, they stream the new expansion packs without the other packs or stuff packs installed.
  • Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited October 2013

It would be funny if he just said, "No, it'll load slower."

By the way, optimizing the code is generally one of the last things programmers do. So, I'm not surprised he isn't sure yet.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    I'm going to believe BeyondSims on this one...*snip*

I agree. Read this (Gibeau is EA labels president, Frank Gibeau)
    “In the last few months, we have started making changes to the business practices that gamers clearly don’t like,” Gibeau said. “In the spring, we dropped our online pass program for consoles – both next-generation and current-generation. We listened to the feedback onSimCity and decided that The Sims 4 would be built as a single-player, offline experience. We announced some new intellectual properties at E3 and will unveil more new games in the months ahead.”

So this pretty much confirms Patrick Kelly was 100% correct when he was describing his role at EA working on this early TS4 build.

I admit I'm a bit worried about this. How much work was scrapped and how long were they working on TS4 as an online title? What exactly are they doing now - rushing to get the game out? Definitely not good. I really hope after ITF is released we will see what TS4 is offering beyond emotions.
  • LadySauceyLadySaucey Posts: 117 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Personally, loading times don't bother me, especially if its an open world because you only really deal with that loading time once (unless you travel to a different world/neighborhood).

The lag & bugs during play is what really ruined TS3 for me. My sim shouldn't pause and be stuck in place for an hour sim time due to a bug then all a sudden snap back into reality and continue to move. I also shouldn't get an error when i'm trying to save my game, and i shouldn't have to save my game every 15 minutes in fear it's going to crash soon.

It's a given that there will be bugs, but if the team can stay on top of fixing them in a timely fashion and not worried about the next deadline to push out an EP, then the game could take 10 minutes to load and i wont care.
  • rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2013

TanyaRubirose

I always see claims of "It will load faster" and ponder this question: Load faster than what? I want to know what they're comparing the load time to. If, say, it's the amount of time it takes a walrus to run a marathon, like with Sims 3, then the claim is technically true, but at the same time warns us to be prepared to make snacks, get drinks, do our shopping, invade and conquer France, invent a new method of making batteries that will revolutionize modern science, and discover some new quirk of physics while waiting on the game to load.
    This....is great! I agree.

[/quote]
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited October 2013
    TanyaRubirose

This....is great! I agree.

[/quote]

Yeah, that was good!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited October 2013
    I really want it to render faster. Yes, my computer isn't the best but it's good and I shouldn't have to wait in a grayed out building surrounded by gray objects as the game slowly renders all the textures. Pop.................................................pop............................ppppppop......pop pop pop..............................................................pop...............................................pop.........................poof...........................................................pop..........................yeah. My Sim and I are waiting. :shock:

It does take awhile the first time and it does get annoying when I don't have the time to just sit and wait.

Yes, I pause, no it isn't faster. That's for when they're changing clothes. :lol:

I'm not talking about the load of the neighborhood, which is slow with a large world that's been played a lot or that's loading for the first time. . . faster than a walrus, slower that molasses. :P

I don't mind small loading screens either. :lol:
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    Oops, got a bit sidetracked.
    Cinebar wrote:
    I didn't know about this, but dear god that is unpleasant to read.
    Cinebar wrote:
    Why it is still in 'early development'. It confirms what BeyondSims said several months ago buried on their site. I mean you can't build a game in a year..or they normally don't..not a series game..sounds a whole lot like yes, we dumped the online game, salvaged what we could and started over with what we could salvage.
    For some reason it hadn't crossed my mind, but it's absolutely true that it takes at least several years to develop a game. If it really were in its early stages still.. well, that wouldn't say much for the outcome of the game in the first place.
    Penelope wrote:
    Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but I'd rather have full CASt and have the game load more slowly, than have it load super fast and not be able to change my Sim's clothes to any pattern or color I wish. Just sayin'. :wink:
    I totally agree. Customization is one of the most fun parts of The Sims.
    This made me laugh far more than it should have while I'm so uncaffeinated. Hysterical. :mrgreen:
    Rflong7 wrote:
    I don't mind small loading screens either. :lol:
    After waiting a good 70 years for everything to load, I don't think anyone, anywhere would mind less loading screen action. I sing the Homestar Runner Loading Screens song to myself while waiting for it to load.