Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Children and family aspects?

Have we received any information on the children and family aspects of the game?
families are my favorite part of the sims, and i for one am quite excited to be able to have more unique looking sims and therefore children that look more like their parents.
I find in the sims 3 that all my sims end up looking the same and so all the kids kind of blend in with one another, im hoping with the sims 4's new CAS features that the children born in game will have more of a genetic resemblance to their family members.
i'm also hoping for the infant stage to be a bit more interactive, as it is right now i generally cheat and age up infants the day i bring them home, i find them boring and you cant see what they look like.

what are your hopes for the children and families in sims 4?

and what are the confirmed aspects of family life for the sims 4?

Comments

• Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited September 2013
    baw19 wrote:
    Have we received any information on the children and family aspects of the game?
    families are my favorite part of the sims, and i for one am quite excited to be able to have more unique looking sims and therefore children that look more like their parents.
    I find in the sims 3 that all my sims end up looking the same and so all the kids kind of blend in with one another, im hoping with the sims 4's new CAS features that the children born in game will have more of a genetic resemblance to their family members.
    i'm also hoping for the infant stage to be a bit more interactive, as it is right now i generally cheat and age up infants the day i bring them home, i find them boring and you cant see what they look like.

There's been absolutely zero news about children and families in TS4. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was developed without them altogether and they're being shoehorned in now, since the game started as an always-online phone/tablet thing.

Like you, families are my favorite part of Simming. I hate how in TS3 all the children look alike (sullen) except for their hair and dislike the boring burrito babies. I hope TS4 will have a good genetics system because EA sure hasn't impressed me yet.
  • TheJokerLives99TheJokerLives99 Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    baw19 wrote:

There's been absolutely zero news about children and families in TS4. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was developed without them altogether and they're being shoehorned in now, since the game started as an always-online phone/tablet thing.

Like you, families are my favorite part of Simming. I hate how in TS3 all the children look alike (sullen) except for their hair and dislike the boring burrito babies. I hope TS4 will have a good genetics system because EA sure hasn't impressed me yet.

Did it really start as an always online/phone game? Do you have a link, I wanna see lol! :mrgreen:
  • ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited September 2013
    I'm going with the babies, toddlers, children, teens, and elders will be full of interactions previously not seen in any of the series. And that's why EA is being hush hush.....

...Well I can hope :D
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited September 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    baw19 wrote:

Did it really start as an always online/phone game? Do you have a link, I wanna see lol! :mrgreen:

Yes, I want to see also. This is a terrifying thought. :mrgreen:
  • Pandora189Pandora189 Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited September 2013
    I believe (Although I have NO valid proof or knowledge on game design whatsoever)that they have not yet begun developing the other ages, or are currently. The major lifestage in the game is Young Adult/Adult, so they probably started from there and use what they already have on Elders, then teens, then kids, then todds, then babies (in order of similarities to what they have.) Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier than starting 6 types of people from scratch? Then again, I hope they've passed this point by now.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited September 2013
    Well we know babies are yet to come in existence, but with this game I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give us burrito babies, toddlers that had to stay at the off-screen daycare the whole life-stage and children and teens at boarding school permanently :shock: :lol::lol:

I shouldn't be giving them ideas, should I? :lol::lol:
    edited September 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    Well we know babies are yet to come in existence, but with this game I' be surprised if they didn't give us burrito babies, toddlers that had to stay at the off-screen daycare the whole life-stage and children and teens at boarding school permanently :shock: :lol::lol:

I shouldn't be giving them ideas, should I? :lol::lol:

Hush!!!!!!! :lol:
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited September 2013

Your sim looks amazing!
  • ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    edited September 2013
    It's been a rumor going around for a while now that this is a Sims Social 2.0 and that when Sim Cities had that awful always online riot from the players the sims team backtracked and started an offline only campaign for the sims4.

Genetics and life stages are being talked about next according to a blog from one of the devs so we're getting news soon. I hope the genetics are like TS2 and your kids actually look like both the parents and you can pass on genes to the kids. No more burrito babies! We need babies with feet!
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited September 2013
    The interview with SimGuruGrant (there's a thread about it on the main page atm) confirmed that all age stages from the previous games will be included, and that aging will work pretty much the same as it does now.

Other than that, we've had diddly squat. Which makes me upset too, as that is my main gameplay as well!!
  • MissCookieXOMissCookieXO Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2013
    All I hope for is no more burrito babies! Since the big thing about 4 is suppose to be emotions and interactions with (and the effects from) other Sims and their environment I can't imagine they'd not add more to each life stage.
    *fingers & toes crossed*
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited September 2013
    Won't anyone think of the children!?!? :shock:

Yeah, I liked the way sims 2 focused on all the life stages and the whole family! :D
    edited September 2013

Yeah, I liked the way sims 2 focused on all the life stages and the whole family! :D

Me too!!!

I'm hoping the genetics are improved, so we can have some really unique children!
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited September 2013
    am hoping the family aspect is better than sims 3. build buy and AI can be the best ever but if the family doesn't feel that great then i'll just lose interest in it really fast. already gonna need custom hair for custom colors which sucks so yeh. why hair color has to affect things as well -.-
  • Violet777Violet777 Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2013

Yep, me too! :)
    I am MinicartTSR over at YouTube.

Happy Simming! :)
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited September 2013

You can Google the whole "Olympus" thing. I think that was the developing game that they're now calling TS4, and it looked suspiciously like it was an online-only game for devices other than the PC. Just my opinion. EA never confirmed it afaik.
  • Simette15Simette15 Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    I want them to focus on all the life stages too.
    The sims 2 was good That way.
    The sims 3 was focusing on young adult but not the other life stages :evil: :thumbdown: .
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    Since it has been 'confirmed' by Grant in that interview floating around that 'cars' won't be animated like they were in TS2...and probably just like in TS3..carry in backpack..I would 'assume' since he said something along the lines about it would increase budget..put work on animatiors, etc..babies won't get legs again. Because wouldn't that also put work on animators, and increase animation budgets. And since the 'focus' 'is' on the expressions and emotions..then there you go..another burito baby.

I hope I am very, very wrong.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Since it has been 'confirmed' by Grant in that interview floating around that 'cars' won't be animated like they were in TS2...and probably just like in TS3..carry in backpack..I would 'assume' since he said something along the lines about it would increase budget..put work on animatiors, etc..babies won't get legs again. Because wouldn't that also put work on animators, and increase animation budgets. And since the 'focus' 'is' on the expressions and emotions..then there you go..another burito baby.

Since when is it acceptable for a game to only have one main feature? To only focus on one single thing? Like okey. Emotions are new. Great, multitasking.

But that's it! They don't even bother to make a couple of animations to get into the car! Lol? They could it in the sims 2, why not in sims 4??

It's just so painfull to see my favourite game become a low-budget game....
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

You know? I bet you're right. The more I learn, the less I like. At this time I don't see me getting this game. They are so busy trying to make it easier for the novices, that they forgot about the skilled veterans....again.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but they did say the focus was on the Sims themselves... so maybe babies with legs will have taken priority over car animations?
  • gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited September 2013
    Seriously? I would HOPE that babies with legs would take priority over car animations. but frankly, why would it be that hard to include either one?!
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2013
    I would really love to see normal Sim babies in the Sims 4 game, like with legs, inherited characteristics and all that stuff. I'm using mods to alternate the colors and shapes of their blankets because the premade ones are so boring... :(

More baby-parent interactions would be amazing and I wish they could make the children look like AND behave like their parents (similar face expressions, walking style and so on). Pregnancy and creating families are my MAIN aspects of the game and I'd die to see them even more developed. I'm so excited for the whole emotions-and-multitasking thing, but I need space for making the families I've always dreamt of. Furthermore, my current Sims kind of look the same and I need more distinguishable face and body characteristics to make my towns even more unique...

Ah, I can't wait! I hope the new Sims generation will live up to my expectations... 8)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    am hoping the family aspect is better than sims 3. build buy and AI can be the best ever but if the family doesn't feel that great then i'll just lose interest in it really fast. already gonna need custom hair for custom colors which sucks so yeh. why hair color has to affect things as well -.-

To answer your question about why no more hair colors as defaults or a color wheel, may be because we will get back the TS2 type genetics in this next game. Someone on MTS that understands such things, pointed out this is why the 'believe' you won't see a color wheel for hair colors in TS4 etc.

That would be great...there is a name for those type genetics...but as usual it slipped my mind.

But it is important to that process 'if' players can't just recolor everything about the eye color and the hair etc. Unlike TS3's system where the baby would inherit the dye job, (purple hair etc.) the TS2 Sim baby even though Mama did have purple hair..taken to a mirror etc..would be born with black or brown etc.

I hope they do expand upon this..if it is true to make sure this is not only a true element of a baby born ingame you told the Sim to have..(like in TS2) but all babies born ingame, or to townies etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited September 2013

Agree. The Sims 2 was amazing with family interactions