Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - step by step instructions with screenshots.

Comments

• suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited September 2013
    Lol, I didn't even think to mention unplugging everything as I do it automatically whenever I install or do anything to my Mac, sorry :oops: I'll update the OP :)

Bit odd that your re-installation isn't working properly. Have you tried downloading the software again through Boot Camp Assistant?

All good now. Finally. I did re-download the software via Boot Camp but what worked was booting from the Windows disk and re-installing Windows. This time I think I have enough of a partition to install all my Sims EPS. At first, I thought 75 GBS would do it but no way. Now I have 200 GBS and hopefully that will be enough. Really, it has to be, because I'm not doing that again :shock:

Slowly downloading games from Origins and hopefully I will be up and running in the next day or two.

You are a dear, Bluebell :-)
    h2xmsbl]
    edited September 2013
    Stepped in double post :oops:
    h2xmsbl]
    edited September 2013
    Ok -- now that I am up and running in Boot Camp (and Bluebell is right -- how cool is it that I can have my Mac and run Windoze too?) I have a couple of questions:

1. Mods: yes or no, which one and how do I find them?

2. I haven't worked on a PC in years (despite the fact I am surrounded by them at home!) How do I find and delete cache files and the like while I am in Windows mode?

3. Do you have to do anything like defrag your Windows partition? Install Anti-virus software?

Thanks!
    h2xmsbl]
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited July 2014
    Bumping because if you want to run TS4 on release day your only option, as a Mac user, is to either Boot Camp your Mac or install Windows in a virtual machine like Parallels or VMware.

apple-signature.png
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited August 2014
    Bump again.

[I did try to get help from a guru to sticky these actual Mac help threads (and unsticky the pointless, hopelessly outdated EA threads) in this forum but nobody ever got back to me.]

I think lots of Mac simmers will be trying to run Windows on their Mac for the foreseeable future in order to:

1. Run the TS2 Ultimate Collection
    2. Run TS3 if they have too many problems running it on the Mac OS X
    3. If they want to use CAW
    4. If they want TS4 when it releases for PC

There are a lot of related queries coming up from Mac-users at Answer HQ so I have decided to make a specific post over there, which will be locked and stickied (because HQ has competent moderation, unlike this jungle of a forum). The idea is that the post will consist of basic instructions and links to other sources. Because it will be locked, people won't be able to ask questions there, it will just be reference material. However it is possible that you might see people being directed to this thread to ask questions if they get stuck. So this is a heads up in case you suddenly get more traffic (at least that will help bump the thread!)

@BluebellFlora and @Tremayne:

I won't be able to edit the locked post once I've made it so I want to make sure I cover everything on the first attempt. There's lots of information here on Bootcamp but I wondered if Tremayne had anything to add regarding using Parallels?

I also thought that I would include a pros and cons list, so that simmers can decide which approach they'd prefer.

As far as I understand it, the pros of using Bootcamp are that all Macs already come with the necessary framework to use Bootcamp, you get updates via Apple so you don't have to worry about Microsoft issues. The cons are that you have to reboot your computer if you want to switch between the operating systems. The pros of Parallels are that you can run both operating systems simultaneously so it is easier to move between them, no rebooting, but the cons are that you have to get driver updates and so on yourself rather than through the Apple updates. Also do you have to deal with anti-virus software etc if you are using Parallels?

My friend also mentioned to me that there is something called Oracle VirtualBox and VMware Fusion, which she has used for work purposes. But she felt that they were more useful for people doing development work on a Mac and needing to test things on a variety of systems and that these would be less suitable for running a game.

If you ladies have any extra info or comments that you think I should be including, let me know. Otherwise I'll just go ahead and write something up. Ta!

:D:D:D

GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited August 2014
    Fab idea Caspin :D

I've used both VMware and Parallels and much preferred Parallels over VMware as they seemed quicker with updates. I do however prefer Boot Camping to a VM as I found it to be more stable as you're only running one OS:

With a VM you are running OS X + VM + Windows + TS3

With Boot Camp you're running Windows + TS3

If a Mac has 4Gb RAM then a VM and Windows will suck up too much RAM for a good, stable TS3 experience. 8Gb or more is a must.

BUT... it's been a couple of years since I used a VM so Tremayne is the absolute expert when it comes to them :)
    apple-signature.png
    - bumping because of TS4 -
    apple-signature.png
  • MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited September 2014
    OMG i just want the mac version already! I wish it came out on sep.2nd
    I am so doing a snow leopard clean install when the mac version is released.
    Post edited by MALAiA46 on
  • belarebelare Posts: 60 Member
    Hello my fellow Mac Users:
    Bootcamp and windows are installed now, but I lack the space for my expansion packs...how did anyone solved that issue?
    Thank you guys, without your support I would be lost. This is great.
    @belare you could give this a go:

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2014
    MALAiA46 wrote: »
    OK. You need to redo Boot Camp. Open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instructions to get rid of the partition and then go through the process again. It can't find your Windows startup disc/ISO. This can sometimes happen and you just need to try again.

I have redone it more than 5 times using bootcamp and I even used disk utility to erase the usb under ms-dot form and it still won't recognize the usb (when i click alt on startup) and if I don't click alt on startup it says no bootable device. I then opened disk utility and noticed that it is in the right format (ms-dot) but next to bootable it says no. Do you think burning the .iso file onto a dvd-r with disk utility will help it be recognized?

ScreenShot2014-09-06at61933PM_zpsb02f140d.png

@MALAiA46 - let's start from the beginning:

- what version of Windows are you trying to install?
    - what format is the Windows software in?
    - where did you get Windows from?

And just so you understand, your ISO/disc must be bootable in order for the installation to work.
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    Hi Bluebell and all! Just popping in to say how well Sims 4 is running on my Boot Camp Drive. Much more smoothly than Sims 3, seems to me! Is that because we only have Base Games right now? Another quick question -- you know all those cache files that we had to delete over and over again in order for the game to run smoothly in 3? Well, do we have to do something similar in 4? It doesn't seem that way to me but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks in advance!
    h2xmsbl]
  • msarobixmsarobix Posts: 192 Member

suepea wrote: »
    Hi Bluebell and all! Just popping in to say how well Sims 4 is running on my Boot Camp Drive. Much more smoothly than Sims 3, seems to me! Is that because we only have Base Games right now? Another quick question -- you know all those cache files that we had to delete over and over again in order for the game to run smoothly in 3? Well, do we have to do something similar in 4? It doesn't seem that way to me but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks in advance!

@suepea, this is a great questions that I would also like to know the answer to.
    MALAiA46 wrote: »
    OK. You need to redo Boot Camp. Open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instructions to get rid of the partition and then go through the process again. It can't find your Windows startup disc/ISO. This can sometimes happen and you just need to try again.

I have redone it more than 5 times using bootcamp and I even used disk utility to erase the usb under ms-dot form and it still won't recognize the usb (when i click alt on startup) and if I don't click alt on startup it says no bootable device. I then opened disk utility and noticed that it is in the right format (ms-dot) but next to bootable it says no. Do you think burning the .iso file onto a dvd-r with disk utility will help it be recognized?

ScreenShot2014-09-06at61933PM_zpsb02f140d.png

@MALAiA46 - let's start from the beginning:

- what version of Windows are you trying to install?
    - what format is the Windows software in?
    - where did you get Windows from?

And just so you understand, your ISO/disc must be bootable in order for the installation to work.

Windows 7 professional 64bit
    .iso
    I got it from dreamsparks store university website.
    How do I know if the disc is bootable?
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    On the last step mine said 'restore' instead of divide. The bootcamp application is gone! What do I do?
    suepea wrote: »
    you know all those cache files that we had to delete over and over again in order for the game to run smoothly in 3? Well, do we have to do something similar in 4? It doesn't seem that way to me but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't seem so. The problem in TS3 was that they became so bloated. I think leave everything alone unless you encounter frequent repetitive issues. Remember too that we're playing the game natively, no Cider wrap :D

apple-signature.png
    MALAiA46 wrote:
    .iso

And it's definitely the full operating system? It's not an upgrade? How big is the ISO?
    MALAiA46 wrote:

Reboot your Mac holding down the Alt key. If it's bootable you'll see it in the bootable drives option. Or use Disk Utility to check.
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2014
    MALAiA46 wrote:
    .iso

And it's definitely the full operating system? It's not an upgrade? How big is the ISO?
    MALAiA46 wrote:

Reboot your Mac holding down the Alt key. If it's bootable you'll see it in the bootable drives option. Or use Disk Utility to check.

Yes it's the OS i have already tried the .iso with parallels desktop 9 and virtual box so it's the OS. It's 3.32 GB
    I have already rebooted and hold down alt and the USB made with bootcamp doesn't show up. It's not bootable.
  • athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    @stilljustme2 I can confirm that you can install Windows via bootcamp only by using DVD or a USB drive.
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
    edited September 2014
    @MALAiA46 Ok. You've said previously that you've retried partitioning Boot Camp several times. In each case, have you also reformatted and remade the USB? What I mean is, have you used Disk Utility to reformat the USB stick and then gone through the Boot Camp assistant again, remaking the bootable USB?
    apple-signature.png
    Corey785 wrote: »
    On the last step mine said 'restore' instead of divide. The bootcamp application is gone! What do I do?

Did you already have a Boot Camp partition? Can you post a screenshot? When you say the Boot Camp application is gone, do you mean the Boot Camp assistant is no longer in the utilities folder? Or that your Boot Camp partition is no longer there?
    apple-signature.png
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    @Bluebellflora That was the case. I installed it again and it worked.

Sorry, if this has already been answered, but is there a way to get your old saves in your windows game?
    @Corey785 not if you've wiped the partition, no :(
    apple-signature.png
    @MALAiA46 Ok. You've said previously that you've retried partitioning Boot Camp several times. In each case, have you also reformatted and remade the USB? What I mean is, have you used Disk Utility to reformat the USB stick and then gone through the Boot Camp assistant again, remaking the bootable USB?

Yes i remade the usb through disk utility a few times. I just burned the .iso onto a dvd-r disk and i got it installed!
    @MALAiA46 - Great!
    apple-signature.png