Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realy EA? -.-

Just dropping Mac users all together for the sims 4? I have one question: Are you CRAZY?! Most of the people are switching over to macs (From what I noticed, at least) And now I can't play the next addition to my favorite game. I hope it's a september fools day joke.. :evil:

And no, this isn't a thread where you can point out that you have a windows. As much as I care, i'm here to get a group to get EA to make the sims 4 for mac!

Comments

• MaracalooMaracaloo Posts: 74 New Member
    edited September 2013
    They said they're not making one right now so there's still hope. I'm pretty sure they'll make one later.
  • TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited September 2013
    I thought people were leaving Apple, actually. :lol:

Anyways, EA still notices it's MAC users. If you go to the MAC discussion, there are many more things that go wrong with the game than on Windows.

I expect to see the MAC edition coming out after the Windows version, like SimCity. You know, just to make sure it's quality.
  • ColorMePinkColorMePink Posts: 5,810 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yeah it's seem like they are only focusing on us PC players at the moment and that's not fair at all! :? I hope the Mac player will get to play TS4. Players shouldn't have to switch over just to play sims. You have my support!

But yeah the Mac version will probably come out afterwards. Hopefully it works better than TS3 did on the Mac.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited September 2013
    Well for one here is a quote directly from the first thread in this forum.
    Sul Sul! Maxis and Electronic Arts today announced that The Sims 4 is currently in development at The Sims Studio for release on PC and Mac in 2014.

So it's pretty much confirmed to be in development for both Mac and PC. Whether they'll be released at the same time is questionable. I would hope not so that the OS X release can be native and somewhat stable (given their luck with SimCity who knows).
  • jirlucfanjirlucfan Posts: 447 Member
    edited September 2013
    I wish they would make a PC/Mac version that can work just as well on Mac as it does PC... I don't really want to be limited to playing on just Mac or just PC.. :(
  • CSsims926CSsims926 Posts: 195 Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh well good. Mission accomplished. :lol: But thanks for the help!
  • YorkieGirl4YorkieGirl4 Posts: 361 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yep...I'm glad I finally got an Alien or I'd be stuck as far as The Sims 4 goes. I got really lucky and my MacBook Pro managed to play The Sims 3, but from my understanding most Mac players had huge problems. Personally I think that EA should stand behind their Mac-compatible claim and fix the dang game. If they really have dropped Mac compatibility for The Sims 4 that'd be a mean move. If the game before is compatible most people would assume that the game after would be too; I know I did. Maybe they'll hand it over to another company like they did with The Sims 2. It may have come over later for Macs than it did for PCs, but apparently it was much more stable than The Sims 3 is on Macs which is kind of worth the wait (to me at least).

Quick Mac joke: to make Cider you have to kill a few Apples! :lol:
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yep...I'm glad I finally got an Alien or I'd be stuck as far as The Sims 4 goes. I got really lucky and my MacBook Pro managed to play The Sims 3, but from my understanding most Mac players had huge problems. Personally I think that EA should stand behind their Mac-compatible claim and fix the dang game. If they really have dropped Mac compatibility for The Sims 4 that'd be a mean move. If the game before is compatible most people would assume that the game after would be too; I know I did. Maybe they'll hand it over to another company like they did with The Sims 2. It may have come over later for Macs than it did for PCs, but apparently it was much more stable than The Sims 3 is on Macs which is kind of worth the wait (to me at least).

Quick Mac joke: to make Cider you have to kill a few Apples! :lol:

I was thinking of getting Alienware for TS4. Which one do you have? Is it any good?
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited September 2013
    some one over at apple should build a sims just for apple users it would probally be better
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited September 2013
    Most people switching? (citation please?) Any serious gamer know PCs is best for gaming, they get the fixes/patches over macs first (at least from experience of Mac users complain most for being neglected in other games from other forums), more games are for PC or are more PC friendly. If one simply prefers a Mac that is one thing but if anyone is serious on gaming they are not recommended Macs unless you only want it on a mobile device to play free or under $5 games.

In my experience Macs are great for those who aren't good with computers and aren't big on gaming (like my sister was terrible at computers in school and bought a Mac for her work and she hates computer games).

And between the two because I prefer to game, the universally gaming preferred is the PC, so I naturally choose it. And when iPods where getting popular but were mac only... well it didn't last cause now iPods are PC friendly if anything Mac and Mac appliances are becoming more PC friendly.

All that being said you'd think with a franchise this big it be smart not to drop Sims for the Mac users. I hope they reconsider but for those wanting a less buggy game if Sims only had to worry about PC bugs and issues maybe it would be easier instead of having to fix for PC and Macs. I'd worry though (in the long run), if it is a trend for major gaming companies to invest in PC only, Macs will definitely lose popularity.
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited September 2013
    TRachet wrote:
    I thought people were leaving Apple, actually. :lol:
    Hardly TRachet, I'll elaborate on this in the final quoted post, but Apple isn't losing customers. If you're looking at the stock price, that's something else entirely, and is ultimately not indicative of actual sales. (Case in point: Apple stock plummeted on a day when they reported record sales earlier this year.) With regards to your other point...
    TRachet wrote:
    I expect to see the MAC edition coming out after the Windows version, like SimCity. You know, just to make sure it's quality.
    This is largely what I'm expecting to see as well. EA has to know by now that using Cider was an abysmal failure, and that they're going to need to write native code in the future. That might take them a bit longer than just tossing the game in a Cider wrapper, but it could be worth the wait if it's done correctly, and if EA bothers to actually offer Mac users the same purchasing options their offering Windows users, specifically the "Limited Edition," "Premium Pack," and "Digital Deluxe" configurations. As long as they don't drop support for expansions before the game is finished, (like they forced Aspyr to do with TS2,) and as long as the game runs properly, I'm okay with the wait. On the other hand, if this turns into SimCity: The Sequel, a native Mac version is only going to do so much. Yes, the Mac version of SimCity is apparently more stable than it's Windows counterpart was at launch, but it still appears to have some pretty significant bugs that EA is scrambling to fix, despite a six–month (longer?) delay from the original Mac target release date.

Well for one here is a quote directly from the first thread in this forum.
    Sul Sul! Maxis and Electronic Arts today announced that The Sims 4 is currently in development at The Sims Studio for release on PC and Mac in 2014.

So it's pretty much confirmed to be in development for both Mac and PC. Whether they'll be released at the same time is questionable. I would hope not so that the OS X release can be native and somewhat stable (given their luck with SimCity who knows).
    Every press release thus far has stated PC/Mac, so I can't see why people don't believe that this is coming to OS X. I'd think a native port is a given after the mess with Cider, hence the delay and the focus on the Windows version right now. Having said that though, I have to wonder why EA can't manage to have a native Mac version ready for launch alongside the native Windows version. EA is a huge developer with tremendous resources, and smaller developers somehow manage to pull this off regularly. In a way, this feels like another example of EA being unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, if only for the fact that I'd think a developer as large as EA would be able to have both versions ready for launch simultaneously.
    Yep...I'm glad I finally got an Alien or I'd be stuck as far as The Sims 4 goes.
    In all sincerity, I seriously hope that you're in the 50% of people who purchased a reliable machine from that company. I bought one right when their quality first took a nosedive, and it was nothing but trouble. (Their techs were incapable of diagnosing a faulty CPU. After a year I finally voided the warranty and took the machine to a competent tech.) They wound up in Best Buy a few months later, and eventually sold out to Dell. Everyone I know whose purchased one since the Dell buyout has received nothing but a headache sometime between the first month and first year of ownership, including people who had decent systems when I bought might. Like I said though, I sincerely hope that your experience is far better than mine was, and that you don't have any little gremlins pop up a few months from now.
    I got really lucky and my MacBook Pro managed to play The Sims 3, but from my understanding most Mac players had huge problems. Personally I think that EA should stand behind their Mac-compatible claim and fix the dang game. If they really have dropped Mac compatibility for The Sims 4 that'd be a mean move. If the game before is compatible most people would assume that the game after would be too; I know I did. Maybe they'll hand it over to another company like they did with The Sims 2. It may have come over later for Macs than it did for PCs, but apparently it was much more stable than The Sims 3 is on Macs which is kind of worth the wait (to me at least).
    It looks like it's coming to the Mac, but not right away. This is a good thing, as a delay would likely indicate a native Mac version instead of another Cider port. For what it's worth, my girlfriend has not had any issues with the TS3 base game on her 2012 MacBook Pro, nor has she had any issues with Ambitions installed. Still, TS3 is the only thing that's caused my Mac Pro (Tower!) to kernel panic, and I've had far more processor and memory intensive applications running on it on a regular basis. (Think Adobe After Effects with multiple layers containing multiple FX.) The system far exceeds the minimum specs, so the problems with it are inexcusable. I wouldn't even mind the wait for TS4 if EA somehow manages to fix the Mac version of TS3. I don't think a stable game is too much to ask for, especially when that game was released in 2009 and it's sequel has been announced. I just wish that EA would come out and state that TS4 will be Mac native up front instead of saying things like "we're only working on the Windows version at this time," and causing a panic leading to threads like this one.
    Most people switching? (citation please?)
    How about this one? http://gigaom.com/2013/04/24/the-mac-didnt-do-as-bad-as-the-pc-last-quarter-*******-stopped-growing/

Mac sales grew in 2011 and 2012 while PC sales fell. Mac sales were flat as of April 2013, but they did far better than Windows PCs, which fell 14% leading to the worst quarterly PC sales since tracking of said sales began in 1994. Regardless of what metric you use, "most people" are indeed switching to Apple products. Note that I said Apple products; the majority of that 14% of lost PC sales is estimated to have gone to iPad sales, while Apple also reported "strong desktop sales" during that same quarter, implying that iPad and iMac sales have eaten into roughly 14% of the Windows PC market.

I should also note that I'm relying on Q2 data, because it's likely to be more indicative of Mac sales as a whole than Q3 data. Apple's product cycle just happens to line up in such a way that the MacBook air was the only new product in Q3 FY2013, which naturally lead to a slump in sales that was expected by anyone who'd been following Apple's release schedule. Q4 FY2013 is expected to have updates for pretty much every other major Apple product. Regardless, this anomaly makes the Q3 data far less reliable than the Q2 data, which was more indicative of a standard Apple earnings quarter.
  • GenaphixGenaphix Posts: 209
    edited September 2013
    The problem is EA have about as much customer loyaly as a roll of toilet paper. They don't care about Mac users because they can't make a huge wad of money, it's that simple.

In the last year or two the PC has really had its 'I told you so' moment. Console gamers have finally started to see what a decent PC gaming Rig can do with games like BF3 and Crysis 3 looking almost too good to be true on PC. This coupled with a massive surge in indie gaming and crowd funded gaming has put PC on the top of the world and EA know this..

I think we are going to see far more support for PC in the coming years but as I've mentioned support for the Mac may suffer. I hope this isn't the case because it sucks for them. Lets hope they make a decent version soon if not for launch day.
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited September 2013
    AlexRoz9 wrote:
    Most people switching? (citation please?)
    How about this one? http://gigaom.com/2013/04/24/the-mac-didnt-do-as-bad-as-the-pc-last-quarter-*******-stopped-growing/

Mac sales grew in 2011 and 2012 while PC sales fell. Mac sales were flat as of April 2013, but they did far better than Windows PCs, which fell 14% leading to the worst quarterly PC sales since tracking of said sales began in 1994. Regardless of what metric you use, "most people" are indeed switching to Apple products. Note that I said Apple products; the majority of that 14% of lost PC sales is estimated to have gone to iPad sales, while Apple also reported "strong desktop sales" during that same quarter, implying that iPad and iMac sales have eaten into roughly 14% of the Windows PC market.

I should also note that I'm relying on Q2 data, because it's likely to be more indicative of Mac sales as a whole than Q3 data. Apple's product cycle just happens to line up in such a way that the MacBook air was the only new product in Q3 FY2013, which naturally lead to a slump in sales that was expected by anyone who'd been following Apple's release schedule. Q4 FY2013 is expected to have updates for pretty much every other major Apple product. Regardless, this anomaly makes the Q3 data far less reliable than the Q2 data, which was more indicative of a standard Apple earnings quarter.

Yes, I can very much see Mac 'products' (ipad and laptops, sorry by PC I mean computer + monitor for gaming and assumed the same from the OP (bad of me to assume) I thought we were talking PCs cause laptops for gaming is like gaming lite) taking the lead and see how PC could take a loss for everyone buying iphones, ipads and the newest mac laptop. Only thing has me skeptical is that PCs (that are not laptops) are used for most companies especially big corporations for the minions to use (example I use to work for an international bank) and their own personal programs (this bank had 3 in house programs I used alone) are intended for PCs, especially since relying on Mac support in a big company is not going to happen, unless Mac becomes contracted out by major companies to be there computer IT (when I called IT considering the department I was in (Treasury) I had support within hours, less if it was serious), Mac would have to be their programmers for there in company programs, this would be astronomical and truly the PC would have to be next to death.

I see it really hard for Mac to every supersede PC, fluxes- yes, especially how there products ipads/iphones/laptops/ipods are the better social 'accessories' but they aren't gamming accessories like logitech. It be really crazy when the Mac becomes the gamers computer. I do find some hardcore gamers have a gaming PC + a gaming laptop and rarely only game on a gaming laptop. Anyways your link is broken but for gaming (which I was really focusing on) has Mac sales dominated or is it just a glossed over all sales?

Even if Mac became leading in over all sales I do not think gaming wise they'd take the lead anytime soon. I mean a Mac gaming computer to feature in a Gamer magazine would be crazy, I mean isn't PC Gamer one of the major computer gaming Magazines? My money in my life time is on PCs for gaming for sure :) But for accessories ipods/iphones/ipads would be my choice and even then I got hella bored of my iPhone (I had since 1st generation) and itunes does not recognize any of my old peer to pier music (when it was legal I got tons of music I have 900+ songs) since I had to buy a new computer and have the latest version so I am this close to have a spaz at my ipod.

TLDR: People switching are not switching to a Mac to game. PC I believe gaming wise remains superior.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2013
    I like my Mac but I think I may switch to Alienware for TS4. TS3 with all expansions is horrible on my MBP with Intel HD 3000 running in boot camp. It's one of the many reasons I don't play it.