Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 is not on Mac. (Sort of confirmed)

http://www.edenstyle.it/the-sims-4-interview-with-simguru-jill.html

Is The Sims 4 going to be available for Mac or other platforms?

We are focusing on PC only at the moment.

Well, I expected this. Thankfully I boot camped my Mac, so I won't be without the game. EA is making awful decisions, that will cost them a lot of money. First getting rid of CASt, and now no TS4 on Mac. It's almost like they want the game to be a flop.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2013
    I don't think that really confirms anything. Just because they may not be working on the sims 4 for mac right now doesn't mean that it won't be coming out in the future. If they aren't doing the PC/Mac combo disc like they did with the sims 3, than they are probably making a Mac native version.

I'm currently cautiously optimistic, with the sims 4 being on mac.....
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • ijnht55ijnht55 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2013
    My thought....that would be sad if EA did not make a MAC friendly TS4 game.
    I will not buy TS4 if they do not make a MAC friendly format.
    Yep....my thought
  • olive337337olive337337 Posts: 410 Member
    edited August 2013
    Terrible terrible terrible. Why do all gaming companies hate macs? Seriously. Its so hard to find a good game that works well on mac let alone is avaliable and when you do they just cancel it. Thanks, EA. Well done. :?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited August 2013
    No, they probably are going to do a proper port to the Mac so no more PC/MAC disks. YAY! :mrgreen:

On the other hand, it's good as we get a more stable game.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited August 2013
    Of course they'll be bringing it out for Macs. Just hopefully not using Cider.

BTW, I'm currently playing Simcity in OSX and the gameplay is super smooth and trouble free..... so far :D
    apple-signature.png
    edited August 2013
    Good news!

I think EA learned that Cider is NOT the way to go. Now if they only had a proper division to actually port the game to the Mac...
    edited August 2013
    Guess I'm one of the lucky few:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23896301
    apple-signature.png
  • dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    edited August 2013
    The official website for the Sims 4 does not list Mac as a supported platform. Only PC. Considering Maxis' issues with getting the native mac client out for Sim City and their past issues with supporting the Sims 3 cider port, I have a suspicion EA may be dropping mac support completely.
  • GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2013
    Guess I'm one of the lucky few:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23896301

Wow nice article, I'm glad I didn't get simcity for mac. :)
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
    edited August 2013
    dfstone wrote:
    The official website for the Sims 4 does not list Mac as a supported platform. Only PC. Considering Maxis' issues with getting the native mac client out for Sim City and their past issues with supporting the Sims 3 cider port, I have a suspicion EA may be dropping mac support completely.

TS1 and TS2 were native to Macs with far fewer issues than TS3. The biggest issue was having to wait a few months behind PC users. And Maxis have nothing to do with the Cider wrap. A guru confirmed on here a while ago that EA have used a 3rd party developer to utilise Cider, not meaning Transgaming. Weirdly I can't find those posts now, EA probably scrubbed them.

More and more developers are now producing games natively for Macs, why would EA suddenly regress and not produce TS4 for Macs?
    apple-signature.png
  • SimsManiac0426SimsManiac0426 Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    If they aren't doing the PC/Mac combo disc like they did with the sims 3, than they are probably making a Mac native version.

I would be really glad if they do it. I'm optimistic about that because Maxis developed TS1 and TS2, but TS3 was developed by EA. Considering they returned to Maxis with TS4, I think native Mac version of TS4 is not a fantasy. And, months of waiting is NOTHING for me, if I am going to have a game with fewer conflicts.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited August 2013
    I would be really glad if they do it. I'm optimistic about that because Maxis developed TS1 and TS2, but TS3 was developed by EA. Considering they returned to Maxis with TS4, I think native Mac version of TS4 is not a fantasy. And, months of waiting is NOTHING for me, if I am going to have a game with fewer conflicts.
    Maxis is just a brand name owned by EA. It's the same people working on it as before they switched the tags back. In my eyes, slapping Maxis on the box was just window dressing.

The Sims and TS2 were ported to Mac by Aspyr. TS3 was wrapped in a Cider monstrosity that they didn't upgrade when the game got larger. I'm hoping they will port TS4 again, and I hope they have Aspyr or a similar company with know-how of Mac porting involved.

• kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2013
    dfstone wrote:

TS1 and TS2 were native to Macs with far fewer issues than TS3. The biggest issue was having to wait a few months behind PC users. And Maxis have nothing to do with the Cider wrap. A guru confirmed on here a while ago that EA have used a 3rd party developer to utilise Cider, not meaning Transgaming. Weirdly I can't find those posts now, EA probably scrubbed them.

More and more developers are now producing games natively for Macs, why would EA suddenly regress and not produce TS4 for Macs?

Maybe because all their care about is money. I mean won't making a whole new game to comply properly with Macs OSby using Aspyr, cost them?

But axing Macs out of the equation would cost them too. So who knows.
  • S0RefinedS0Refined Posts: 121 Member
    edited September 2013
    Of course they'll be bringing it out for Macs. Just hopefully not using Cider.

BTW, I'm currently playing Simcity in OSX and the gameplay is super smooth and trouble free..... so far :D

Who did the Mac port of SimCity, or was it inhouse? I'm tempted to buy, but at the same time I don't know how impacted the game is by the socialization aspect.

As for The Sims 4, I'd rather wait an extra year and have it run properly in OSX. I'd happily wait two years if they'd give it back to Aspyr.
    edited September 2013
    Westlake Interactive ported TS1 and Aspyr ported Sims 2. I think Aspyr bought Westlake. I really hope they did hire Aspyr again. The only game I had to "patch" with a mod was Bon Voyage and that was because EA never gave Aspyr the patch to add to the game.
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Westlake Interactive ported TS1 and Aspyr ported Sims 2. I think Aspyr bought Westlake. I really hope they did hire Aspyr again. The only game I had to "patch" with a mod was Bon Voyage and that was because EA never gave Aspyr the patch to add to the game.
    Aspyr did indeed acquire Westlake Interactive; some TS1 ports actually have an Aspyr logo on them, as do all EPs and Complete Collections of TS1. (The latter drops the Westlake logo entirely.) Asypr ported a portion of TS2, but EA refused to license additional EPs and SPs when they decided to "port" TS3 themselves, or more accurately, have a third party toss it into a Cider wrapper and package it with an EA logo slapped on it.

Actually, the comment quoted in the original post all but confirms that TS4 will be on the Mac. Every one of EA's press releases has stated as much, and the "at this time" sounds like some spin doctor's way of saying "we're making a native Mac version, but don't want to admit it'll be out six months after the Windows release."

Honestly, I don't mind the delay, I just want the same buying options as Windows users, particularly the "Premium Pack" physical copy.
  • olive337337olive337337 Posts: 410 Member
    edited September 2013
    i hate ea just like they hate us. im seriously so sick of them not paying us proper attention. they're losing my money on the sims 4 and any more of their games. macs are better computers so why can't any companies make good games for them?!
    edited September 2013
    AlexRoz9 wrote:
    Aspyr did indeed acquire Westlake Interactive; some TS1 ports actually have an Aspyr logo on them, as do all EPs and Complete Collections of TS1. (The latter drops the Westlake logo entirely.) Asypr ported a portion of TS2, but EA refused to license additional EPs and SPs when they decided to "port" TS3 themselves, or more accurately, have a third party toss it into a Cider wrapper and package it with an EA logo slapped on it.

Actually, the comment quoted in the original post all but confirms that TS4 will be on the Mac. Every one of EA's press releases has stated as much, and the "at this time" sounds like some spin doctor's way of saying "we're making a native Mac version, but don't want to admit it'll be out six months after the Windows release."

Honestly, I don't mind the delay, I just want the same buying options as Windows users, particularly the "Premium Pack" physical copy.

I'm thinking this too.
  • n4taliejanen4taliejane Posts: 11
    edited September 2013
    they have said they're working on mac too but i wouldn't expect it to be anything short of crashing and full of crap
    edited September 2013
    AlexRoz9 wrote:

I was on the TS2 forum when that all went down. What happened was the contract EA had with Aspyr was only for a certain number of EPs (Base game through BV) and Stuff Packs were an after thought that weren't in the contract at all. When Aspyr ported Sim Life Stories and Castaways (I think that was the name) to console game stations, they negotiated for FFS, GL and Happy Holidays the stuff packs. Problem was they were in contract talks to extend the contract after BV was ported and they fell through as EA thought they could do it better. Also remember that Macs at that time had the Power PC chips and then switched to Intel chips. The port was more difficult at the time, but now it should be easier as both Windows and Apple use Intel chips. So yes, I have all of the Mac Native ports for Sims 2 which isn't the whole set. But I'm happy. :mrgreen:

I do have all of the Sims 1, but don't have a computer that can run it any more. Personally, I'd rather wait for the Mac native port as the game was far more stable (Aspyr had added all the patches to our game by the time we got it). If EA was smart, they would have the Mac Port team working along side the original developers to have the game come out at the same time. I know that Sim City was ported to the Mac. Anyone have a copy and how is it working at this point?
  • Goldenguy10Goldenguy10 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited September 2013
    dfstone wrote:

Because, EA and Maxis are regressing in everything that they do: creation, imagination, stability and support. It's been an obvious regression throughout the Sims 3 venture.

BTW, Bluebell... I wanted to give you kudos for your efforts and concerns in the Mac Sims Community—not enough people tell you this.

• extremeasaurextremeasaur Posts: 2,701 Member
    edited September 2013
    I just preordered my Sims 4 and it said Win/Mac in the description.
  • thereal87fefethereal87fefe Posts: 8 New Member
    edited September 2013
    This is horrible news :( . I was actually hoping that they would create a version for Mac only but I guess they dont care. Ive loved sims since the beginning on PC and have upgraded to Mac in 2011 and I love my laptop I will not go back to a PC laptop. Guess i'll just play Sims 3 for 45 mins at a time on my Mac.
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited September 2013
    I just preordered my Sims 4 and it said Win/Mac in the description.

Uh-oh. That doesn't bode so well for a native version. I really wish EA would get their act together and publish some solid information and specs.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited September 2013
    This is horrible news :( . I was actually hoping that they would create a version for Mac only but I guess they dont care. Ive loved sims since the beginning on PC and have upgraded to Mac in 2011 and I love my laptop I will not go back to a PC laptop. Guess i'll just play Sims 3 for 45 mins at a time on my Mac.

Bootcamp your Mac. Trust me it works.