Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too cartoony? Seriously?

Comments

• SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited August 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    Why did I spell sell like that? :shock: :lol:
    ROFL, it's ok, it happens to all of us :lol:
  • steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited August 2013
    Mcphee1964: go bbuk!!! erm i love the look we have hips and bum sliders the sims look a million times better IMP and the textures arnt complete still in dev atm
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited August 2013
    The problem lies, not in Create a Sim, but in the transition from CAS to in game.

That sim is gorgeous! She's the one that sold me the first time I saw that, then I saw the in game pics, and that's what killed it for me.

I am taking into consideration that it's quite early. So perhaps they will be able to work on the graphics in game to give us that same look. If they do, then there is no problem and people, in general, won't say it's too cartoony.

But until there is evidence that the meshes and lighting in Create a Sim will reflect the meshes they use in game and lighting is at least similar, then I'll wait and still call it cartoony.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited August 2013
    In TS3 the textures always drop from cas to in game it prevents lag i guess its the same and yea angers me alot my pc can handle lara with tressfx there should be a better sim detail option to turn that drop off
  • VanessaCrazyVanessaCrazy Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I also believe that the hair doesn't look right, but I don't really have a problem with the face. I think if the hair looks a bit more realistic that it would make a large improvement on the face as well.

Plus there could be many changes made to the game, I just hope there is before the final release.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2013
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.
    Using this Sims 3 face for an example is as unfair as using one that's stuffed with CC. And still: she isn't cartoony, she only has that plain pudding face look. Cartoony means certain parts of a face are exaggerated to make the face look somewhat funny. Sims 1 and 2 looked like monkeys to me, but with Sims 3 you are able to make realistic faces. Not realistic in a way that you can't tell them apart from a real person, but their face pulls are natural, not funny looking.

Screenshot-419a_zps89bdb73a.pngElijah_zps6aa57c1e.png

So please stop saying Sims are supposed to look cartoonic because it has always been that way, that's not true. If it were true a lot of people wouldn't be sad right now.

I see a great difference between the Sims 4 Sims in CAS by the way to that in the game. In CAS they look less cartoonic than ingame.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited August 2013
    ShiverGirl wrote:
    I simply can't go from this (Sims 2 with custom content):

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

I expected TS4 to at least look better than TS2 with CC. I wanted to have less crazy, exaggerated facial expressions, not more!

ETA: I do wish I could have the TS4 CAS for my CC TS2 Sims, though. It does look like it would be great if the graphics were just more realistic.

You're comparing a non-finished product, with a finished product FILLED with CC. How is that fair? Take all of it off and doesn't look as good as the sims 4, like the picture above.

But it's a 10-YEAR-OLD finished product! CC or not, Sims 4 should be miles ahead of Sims 2's graphics!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2013
    ThDDc4n.png
    Seldom like CC-Sims btw, but she's amazing!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited August 2013
    The textures have not been completely done.

I feel like this is being lost on people. The textures aren't finished, and without them, otherwise natural–looking things are going to look incomplete, rough, and yes, more cartoony than usual. Looking at the incomplete Sim from TS4, I honestly don't see much of a difference between the design of her and the Sim from TS3. If anything, the incomplete Sim from TS4 looks like she'd be a bit more realistic once the textures were finished.

Also, I don't know what others have been playing over the past decade, but the last time I checked, every Sims game has had cartoony graphics, including The Sims 3. Come to think of it, I remember people whining about how TS3 was "too cartoony" after playing TS2 when these forums first opened back in '09. Eventually the CC started popping up, and the complaints began to disappear.

That brings me to my next point, CC. Comparing Sims with CC to "stock' Sims from EA is unfair and unrealistic. A Sim with CC designed to make him/her look more realistic obviously isn't going to be on par with a standard Sim designed by EA. Comparing EA's Sims, shows us that the look has always been cartoony, and that this game is no more or less cartoony than its progenitors. I realize comparing an unfinished Sim to a finished Sim isn't necessarily fair, but based on what I'm seeing, a few textures would make the Sim from TS4 look far more realistic than past Sims ever have. Those who want hyper–realistic Sims will need to do what they've always done, and wait for the CC that lets them create what they want. EA's style has always been cartoony, and I'm fine with that; it's hardly unexpected.
  • almariandaalmarianda Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2013
    Exactly!!!

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

I expected TS4 to at least look better than TS2 with CC. I wanted to have less crazy, exaggerated facial expressions, not more!

ETA: I do wish I could have the TS4 CAS for my CC TS2 Sims, though. It does look like it would be great if the graphics were just more realistic.

Exactly!
    Bingo!
    Couldn't agree more!
    Spot on!

A 10 year old game with CC looks better than its descendant which is still in development...
    Simmer since 2001
    Sims 3 still rules! <3
  • darkgoddessdarkgoddess Posts: 1,372 New Member
    edited August 2013
    almarianda wrote:
    Exactly!!!

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

Exactly!
    Bingo!
    Couldn't agree more!
    Spot on!

A 10 year old game with CC looks better than its descendant which is still in development...

Those sims 4 graphics really make me cringe.
  • Kellieann123Kellieann123 Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2013
    I just don't see why they'd release such stupid looking poses / expressions for TS4 right off the bat... It's obviously causing more harm than good. Even if it was just a joke.
  • LadySauceyLadySaucey Posts: 117 New Member
    edited August 2013
    How about we compare BASE GAMES and not photos littered with custom content? Otherwise its not a fair assessment.

3956a00a7291056e36f3da0a76579ffe.png
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2013
    I just don't see why they'd release such stupid looking poses / expressions for TS4 right off the bat... It's obviously causing more harm than good. Even if it was just a joke.

They look like escaped insane asylum patients :lol:
  • FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2013
    People seem to forget that lots of CC will come along that will improve whatever the base game lacks. Seeing some examples of some other games which look photo realistic (and apparently what the complainers wanted for the Sims) I have to scratch my head and wonder what they are thinking.

A super realistic sims game would be horrible. What next? They'd pull out machine guns and start blowing things up?

If that's the type of game you want those already exist and maybe you should just go play those.
  • Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited August 2013
    People seem to forget that lots of CC will come along that will improve whatever the base game lacks. Seeing some examples of some other games which look photo realistic (and apparently what the complainers wanted for the Sims) I have to scratch my head and wonder what they are thinking.

A super realistic sims game would be horrible. What next? They'd pull out machine guns and start blowing things up?

If that's the type of game you want those already exist and maybe you should just go play those.

The problem i have with this statement is:
    Why must the players who bought the game make stuff for the game because EA couldn't get it right or rather made no effort. Its unfair of EA to choose one target market only and appeal to their needs only while neglecting the other target markets.

But im neutral to how i feel about the games graphics.
  • McSimmy25McSimmy25 Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    i agree with everyone actually. ts4 does look a little bit too cartoony but at the same time i kind of like it. the first time i saw what the sims in ts4 looked like i was shocked but i eventually got used to it so i can deal with how the characters look. but another thing we should be wondering about besides the characters looks is how the game will be like. the towns might be too cartoony but if being too cartoony is the case then im probably not getting it. it kind of looks like ts2 :?
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited August 2013
    LadySaucey wrote:
    How about we compare BASE GAMES and not photos littered with custom content? Otherwise its not a fair assessment.

Her point was that with CC made by amateurs, a game from 2004 looks more realistic than Sims 4. She's not comparing apples to oranges, she asking why the oranges look so much like a cartoon.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2013
    Halle_M wrote:
    LadySaucey wrote:

Her point was that with CC made by amateurs, a game from 2004 looks more realistic than Sims 4. She's not comparing apples to oranges, she asking why the oranges look so much like a cartoon.

:lol::lol::lol: Cartoony oranges- the annoying orange? :lol:

I got her point, whoo!
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited August 2013
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    You know, it's going to sound weird, but I think stylistically that if TS4 had come right after TS2, fewer people might be upset over its looks. Because TS4 seems to follow on that more cartoonish, hand-drawn path that we saw in TS1 and 2. But, between those games you have TS3 which, while not overly realistic itself, did push a little more toward the "realism" side of stylized realism when you look at things like the hair and the textures. No, it was not photorealistic, but there was a certain amount of softness to its look. 1, 2, and 4 appear sharper, brighter, and more highly stylized.

Mind you, I'm talking in terms of art style only, not in terms of the level or quality of the graphics or anything. Not even in terms of the shapes of the character models. Just the general appearance of the game. Based on the pics, TS4 seems more like 1 & 2's spiritual successor artistically than TS3 did.

It's ironic to me because these TS4 sims are what I expected TS3 sims to look like.
    TS3 sims were a bit of a shock. EA has finally brought them up to what I wanted TS2 sims to look like, almost.

While EA was here with TS2...
    twobellas.jpg

I was here with The Sims 2...
    snapshot_95c06312_d5c06314.jpg

And of course other simmers were telling us they weren't meant to look like this, but I didn't care.
    snapshot_764b1323_364b9039.jpg

And now they are here with TS4 as of now.
    If I had never bothered with CC in TS2 and never tried to fix TS3 sims. I would be jumping up and down with Joy.
    Finally! But I was there long ago. I expected something more human looking than TS3/less Pixar, not overly realistic, but not walking so far away from realism either.
    02.jpg

Hair, withstanding, I probably won't have much trouble making my old CC TS2 sims in TS4. But you know I will try to push it to the next level if I can, and if their environments aren't too incompatible. There will be an extreme range between simmers sims. The CAS seems very flexible. I expect to see some extremely cartoonish sims from simmers and more human looking ones with the new CAS system.
    BRrscT2CUAA_2Kd.jpg

I expect the graphics will improve to some extent, but I am more concerned about the overly exaggerated facial expressions. Humor is one thing, but those are the faces you make when you are entertaining an infant or toddler. A little more subtlety would be nice. Not as much as TS3 tough, somewhere in between. The other interactions look nice and fluid. Perhaps a bit of a recognizable loop, but that will probably be fixed. I like the thoughtful look on the seated girl.
    smallcjebfddd.jpg

That TS3 sim represents just about everything I try to avoid when making TS3 sims, from the hair to the face shapes. With TS3 CAS being limited, it's sometimes frustrating.
    2i7wuaf.jpg

You do the best you can with what you have to work with if you want a certain look.
    This is what I did with TS3. They were very different from TS2 even with CC. I got used to them and eventually became to like them despite being a bit random with their emotions and robotic with their animations. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what I can do with TS4 if I buy it, but I still have some concerns.
    Screenshot-1971.jpg

Screenshot-719.jpg

Screenshot-698.jpg

Screenshot-7181.jpg

Screenshot-296.jpg

Screenshot-2029.jpg

Screenshot-2197.jpg

aScreenshot-140.jpg

aScreenshot-524.jpg

Melonie gets two shots.
    "Really?"
    Screenshot-9340.jpg

Screenshot-5108.jpg

Even some of the pudding ones.
    Screenshot-2881.jpg

I guess what I want is more of a balance where simmers can bend the game towards the cartoonish, or bend it towards realism--turn it up a notch. It's still to early to judge, but I did it with TS2 and TS3, but I'm not certain I can bend TS4 to my liking.

A 4th generation with The Sims. If feels a bit odd when you can measure a major portion of your life with a video game. :lol:
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • HaphronHaphron Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2013

gPR1J24.png

ThDDc4n.png

XxZPp1i.png

To this:

F2dAhkK.jpg

aWHLvIO.jpg

2CfC8Wb.jpg

No, thanks.

DAM!

Ive never played Sims 1 or 2 - I was to busy playing Quake & Diablo 1 on my friends computer back then.

Sheeze maybe I should buy Sims 2 instead of Sims 4.

I might be wrong but based on the above photos it looks like the veteran simmers have logged in more hours with the sims universe then the developers & artists who created Sims 4.

(no offense just going by what Im seeing)
  • PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited August 2013
    I think it's not accurate to compare The Sims 2 or 3 with CC to TS4. It's apples and oranges really.

I understand that many Simmers expected TS4 to look more realistic than they do, based on technology advances, but I don't think that for a game to be "advanced" it needs to look realistic, or any other specific way.

I was definitely shocked when I first saw TS4 images, and I did not like what I saw. I'm still not quite sure to think, but I am warming up to the idea of them. I'm sure CC will be along for this game too, ...if we decide we want something different for our specific games. I don't look at that as EA leaving something out that we have to get elsewhere. Every game has a style and look to it. Technological advancements, to me, mean that they could make it the way they wanted to. I think they made the game exactly how they wanted to.

Listen, I play LOTS of games. I play a wide array of genres and themes too. So I understand what it is to play a really detailed realistic character. I think though, that based on The Sims series itself, and what a lot of Simmers were asking for and complaining about with the game in TS3, was that they wanted something more on along the lines of TS2 and it's roots. I think EA decided that's exactly what they'd give us then. I think the art style is a little more on that line. There are players who like to play more realistically, and that's totally cool, but that shouldn't mean that players who don't, are left out. Who's to say which is the better way to play? I say, to each his own. We all like different things.

I really don't know what I expected the Sims themselves to look like, but just judging on basegame looks alone, I'd say the Sims themselves are an improvement over each of their predecessors. I think we mostly all agree about the hair, and I don't think that's a done deal just yet. They may in fact change from what we're seeing now.

I'm pretty sure, there will be CC for those who want more realistic-looking Sims. I am a big user of CC myself, with more Gigs of it than I care to say at the moment, lol. Sometimes I play with it, and sometimes I play without it though. I totally understand both sides of the conversation and I myself feel very pulled in both directions.

I don't know.
  • Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited August 2013
    BeASimmer wrote:
    2i7wuaf.jpg

Now explain to me how this TS4 sim looks more "cartoony" than the previous two? Because I don't get the complaints here. "OMG it's like The Sims Social, it's wayyy too cartoony and animated! This is baddd!" :roll:

I mean yeah, the hair needs serious work, but the face is obviously an improvement.

I agree. I think the sims 4 is a big improvement with how they look. I think they look more realistic.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited August 2013
    I the lighting is improved, and people can still mod it, we are eventually going to see some pretty neat looking CC sims. I agree with those who say the base sims in Sims 4 look better than the base ims in Sims 2 or 3. Not 'five years later' better, but better just the same.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm always surprised the people that want to compare the Sims two with custom content or the Sims three with custom content to the new Sims 4 coming out next year.

I think that history has shown us that custom content is always going to be better looking than what Maxis can produce themselves.

When I look at the custom content in the Sims 3 is far nicer looking than anything that Maxis has produced.Click submit