Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 saves won't carry over to Sims 4

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/23/the-sims-3-saves-wont-carry-over-to-the-sims-4/

Appaprently Sims 4 is very different from Sims 3, so it won't be compatible. Well, I'm not too sad. I'll miss my sims though. :(

EDIT: I had to edit this, because I feel like some of the posters are being somewhat rude. I didn't actually suspect we could carry over sims saves, but this article made me think we could previously. I wouldn't know since I wasn't here for Sims 1, or Sims 2.
So stop with that please.

Comments

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2013
    I just find it funny that a so-called professional gaming blog such as Joystiq actually wrote such a nonsense article. I mean what part of The Sims as a series has suggested to players that they can actually preserve their save games and carry it over to the next one?

Then again given how Joystiq usually tends to be I'm pretty sure they intended for the article to encourage more trolling than for it to be in any way informative.
  • SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2013
    I was speechless to see them write that, but I guess to non-simmers it might not be so obvious that the game are considered separate and the saves never carry across.
    E6Gi2HA.png
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited August 2013
    Of course not! Why would anyone expect that saves could transfer over?? Sims 3 has a whole bunch of EPs, premium content, and ... BUGS!

Even the sims themselves couldn't transfer over because many of the character details are going to be totally different. Sims 4 wont even have the same traits.

Of course the content wont be transferable! It never has been. Why would anyone think that would change?
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • reinmagreinmag Posts: 684 New Member
    edited August 2013
    How even...

Nevermind. The whole article and idea that it could have been is mind boggling to any logically thinking person.

• blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2013
    ShiverGirl wrote:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/23/the-sims-3-saves-wont-carry-over-to-the-sims-4/

Appaprently Sims 4 is very different from Sims 3, so it won't be compatible. Well, I'm not too sad. I'll miss my sims though. :(
    They must not play sims. :lol: Since when have we ever been able to do that? :| TS4 has a completely different game engine as did the previous versions.

They've been looking at all the Frostbite 3 games. From what I've read that game engine does have the technology on consoles (not sure about PC). So for instances those games using that technology on current console should be able to transfer it to the new game consoles when the come out in the fall. I think it's this fall.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • IMeepIMeep Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited August 2013
    In other words, the sky is blue, the sun is bright, and Elton John is gay.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2013
    IMeep wrote:
    I love Elton John. :lol: The very first record (a 45) I ever bought at the record store with my own money (allowance) was Benny and the Jets by Elton John. :thumbup:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited August 2013
    ShiverGirl wrote:

ShiverGirl

Well, I'm sorry, but what should we have expected? Were any of the previous sims games backwards compatible? Besides many of the clothing and even traits in the Sims 3 will probably never be included in the Sims 4. Not mention that the only life state besides normal sim, in the Sims 4 base game is likely to be the ghosts. It would end up converting our werewolves, vampires, fairies, witches etc, into normal sims, and many of their non human features wouldn't so up. That means that even if you could import your sims 3 somehow, it would probably end up changing them in ways you wouldn't like.

If you really like some of your Sims 3 sims, you could always take a picture of them, and try to recreate them in the Sims 4 the best you can. It could be a bit time consuming but it would be a bit better than nothing.
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2013
    HAHAHHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol:

*collects myself*

Well isn't that obvious?

OP are you okay? Do you need some water, maybe some food. A little blood sugar?
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited August 2013
    Of course that the save from 3 can't be carried over to 4, because they are 2 different games. It would be nice if we could do that, but the game engine for 4 is completely different from 3's engine. So it wouldn't have worked anyways, but I still plan to move my sim and his wife over to 4. :D
  • AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited August 2013
    Yes it seems like a no brainer, and possibly the creator of the article does not play Sims, but the fundamental question here isn't so brainless.

Remember how terrains created in SimCity 4 could be used in Sims 2? What's confirmed here is that there won't be anything like that.
  • SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited August 2013
    _57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

:lol::lol:
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
    edited August 2013
    This blew my mind once.

http://www.simechoes.org/simechoes2/sims2/sims2info/tutorials/neighbourhoods/sc4/sc4terrain.html

You could also import Sims from Sims 1 into SimCity 4. Things were simpler back then. Some people might expect that with later Sims games.
  • SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited August 2013
    tumblr_ldu3aeLaWq1qdf672o1_500.gif
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited August 2013
    ShiverGirl wrote:

This is why I'm waiting. I'm going to get to good stopping point with s3 before moving on, I really regret moving on from the second game. I was bored with sims1 when moved on so it didn't matter; sims2 stole my heart from the original from be beginning, but all s3 did was make feel like something was missing from both 2 and 3. I wish I'd just continued to playing the game for a couple more years.
    edited August 2013
    Damienf519 wrote:
    ShiverGirl

Well, I'm sorry, but what should we have expected? Were any of the previous sims games backwards compatible? Besides many of the clothing and even traits in the Sims 3 will probably never be included in the Sims 4. Not mention that the only life state besides normal sim, in the Sims 4 base game is likely to be the ghosts. It would end up converting our werewolves, vampires, fairies, witches etc, into normal sims, and many of their non human features wouldn't so up. That means that even if you could import your sims 3 somehow, it would probably end up changing them in ways you wouldn't like.

If you really like some of your Sims 3 sims, you could always take a picture of them, and try to recreate them in the Sims 4 the best you can. It could be a bit time consuming but it would be a bit better than nothing.

I expect the modding community will be busy converting and resizing Sims 3 clothes and hair meshes for Sims 4, but it would create a lot of work for EA. I can see why they'd leave it for modders.
  • TenderWolfTenderWolf Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited August 2013
    The only time I've seen a game carry over from one to the other is an MMO, like Guild Wars and World of Warcraft. Games like The Sims just aren't designed for that, because the programming is completely different. The game play, graphics, and all other features are different. Similar, but not exact. I don't know how anyone could have ever thought they could transfer TS3 stuff to TS4, but maybe that's just me.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited August 2013
    One thing I tried with moving from 2 to 3 was just recreating the families in s2 and moving them to s3. They looked different and they had different vibe (mainly because of the new trait system) but it was something. I enjoyed playing the recreations more than I did entirely new families. If it wasn't the same, it was only because I missed stuff from 2 that hadn't be added to 3 yet.
  • simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited August 2013
    no ****
  • ShiverGirlShiverGirl Posts: 252 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Damienf519 wrote:
    ShiverGirl wrote:

ShiverGirl

Actually, I thought they weren't compatible. But this article made me think we could before in sims 2 or something. Now I feel like an idiot. I will re-create my sims though. :(
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited August 2013
    ShiverGirl wrote:
    Damienf519 wrote:
    ShiverGirl wrote:

ShiverGirl

Actually, I thought they weren't compatible. But this article made me think we could before in sims 2 or something. Now I feel like an idiot. I will re-create my sims though. :(
    You're not an idiot. Sometimes an article can do that to a person just by what was said in the article. :wink:
  • 3fansforever3fansforever Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited August 2013
    Darkslayer wrote:
    I just find it funny that a so-called professional gaming blog such as Joystiq actually wrote such a nonsense article. I mean what part of The Sims as a series has suggested to players that they can actually preserve their save games and carry it over to the next one?

Then again given how Joystiq usually tends to be I'm pretty sure they intended for the article to encourage more trolling than for it to be in any way informative.

This^

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited August 2013
    Why would anyone think they could?
    p6tqefj
  • Kevida120766Kevida120766 Posts: 835 Member
    edited August 2013
    IMeep wrote:
    Wait! What? Elton John is gay? I never saw THAT coming!
  • NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited August 2013
    "The only time I've seen a game carry over from one to the other is an MMO, like Guild Wars and World of Warcraft

No even then those were carry overs from expansion to expansion (Unless Guild Wars can convert over to Guild Wars 2).

The ability to carry over to the next game is fairly rare.

HECK it was one of the main features of the Quest for Glory series is that every single game allowed you to carry over without restriction.