Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pre-Alpha Doesn't Mean What You Think It Means [long]

I see a lot of Simmers saying "don't worry, it's just Pre-Alpha stage, they will fix it." Um, sorry, no they won't.

Here is how a game is designed [copied from my blog] -

Stage 1 - Planning: This is the stage where they decide what they want the game to do and look like. This stage can take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. During this phase they decide what the game will be like - what will be included, what will be left to an EP, etc. They also have artists sketch out designs for objects, Sims, the neighborhood and so on.

Stage 2 - Programming: Programming takes 3 months to several years depending on how complex the programming is [TS4 probably took over two years while an EP probably takes 6 to 9 months]. The game is built in Modules, each of which does a different thing. There will be one Module for emotions, another for meals and a even more for each NPC. Each Module is programmed by a separate team of programmers. The game consists of dozens, if not hundreds, or modules.

By this time the way the game is played is set in stone. The decision whether to animate hair is made. The look of the Sims has been chosen. They are not going to change any of those things.

Stage 3 - Pre-Alpha/ Alpha Testing: Pre-alpha is where they start to put the modules together and see if they work. This never works the 1st time, so they have to find out which parts of which Modules conflict, then reprogram the Modules, then try again... and again... and again. There is still a lot of programming to be done in this stage. When they can run some of those Modules together [say a interactions module and an emotions module and some animations modules] they usually start releasing videos and screenshots of the game. The reason we only see a certain amount of game-play over and over is because they are the only parts of the game that work without error.

This is the phase the game is in now. 90% of the programming has been done, it is just a matter of making the separate pieces work together. All they are doing is tweaking the programming. Once they have tested the modules in groups, they will put the whole game together and test it. By the time it enters alpha-testing the game is essentially done - nothing more will be added or changed.

Stage 4 - Beta-Testing: In this phase EA hunts for bugs. They have a group of people try it out on a variety of different computers with different specs and operating systems and see what happens. Each day the testers report the bugs back to The Sims Team, who correct the problems and send the fixes back to the testers to see if the fix causes problems. This takes a MINIMUM of 6 weeks and may take longer. It takes the same amount of time for a game as for an EP. [No, you can't be a Beta-Tester - you need a degree in Computer Science to do it right. It is more than just playing the unfinished game. :P ] EA is notorious for not doing this stage right. They should send it out to a reputable third party who specializes in game testing, instead they do it in-house.

Stage 5 - Manufacturing: At this point the game is completely done. They take a copy of the completed, [mostly] debugged game and send it to be copied, get the boxes and the booklets printed and have everything put together. The day it is sent to the manufacturer the game is said to have 'gone gold' [way back in the old days they used to put the finished game on a gold-colored disk]. Then the disks have to be put in the boxes along with the instructions and everything has to be shipped to the retailers. Manufacturing takes a minimum of 3 to 6 weeks for games & EPs both.

There is one exception to this whole thing - variations of objects can be added even during alpha- and beta-testing. Once they have finished programming a chair [and making it work] they can make as many different chairs as they want. Variations of objects will continue to be added right up until the game 'goes gold'. Yes, this includes hair-styles, too [which is what everyone is complaining about] but the new hairstyles will look and act just like the styles we have already seen. They won't be animated and they won't have much more shape than what we have already seen.

Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member
    edited August 2013
    That was very informative. Thank you for sharing. It was nice it wasn't said in a negative manner but to the point!
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited August 2013
    Excellent write-up. :thumbup: Thanks for that!
  • Options
    breville69breville69 Posts: 1,397 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for sharing but,EA must by pass stage 4 all the time and go straight to stage 5... :?
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited August 2013
    NMV;
    I just re-read the post. :oops:
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2013
    Deleted due to a glitch that caused it to double post. :roll:
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2013
    You missed that the game is also polished during the beta process. That's when they polish the graphics.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for posting this :) This is more or less what I thought :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    I think this should be seen by everyone that is just wildly posting " PRE-ALPHA)
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for the detailed and informative post.

This is why I believe EA will be able to deliver a tested, deep and detailed base game in the time frame they have suggested 8)
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    gigiandreggigiandreg Posts: 146 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for posting this.

The amount of people being like "Guys, the game is in pre-alpha." has been overwhelming.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited August 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:
    I see a lot of Simmers saying "don't worry, it's just Pre-Alpha stage, they will fix it." Um, sorry, no they won't.

Stage 1 - Planning: This is the stage where they decide what they want the game to do and look like. This stage can take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. During this phase they decide what the game will be like - what will be included, what will be left to an EP, etc. They also have artists sketch out designs for objects, Sims, the neighborhood and so on.

Stage 2 - Programming: Programming takes 3 months to several years depending on how complex the programming is [TS4 probably took over two years while an EP probably takes 6 to 9 months]. The game is built in Modules, each of which does a different thing. There will be one Module for emotions, another for meals and a even more for each NPC. Each Module is programmed by a separate team of programmers. The game consists of dozens, if not hundreds, or modules.

By this time the way the game is played is set in stone. The decision whether to animate hair is made. The look of the Sims has been chosen. They are not going to change any of those things.

Stage 3 - Pre-Alpha/ Alpha Testing: Pre-alpha is where they start to put the modules together and see if they work. This never works the 1st time, so they have to find out which parts of which Modules conflict, then reprogram the Modules, then try again... and again... and again. There is still a lot of programming to be done in this stage. When they can run some of those Modules together [say a interactions module and an emotions module and some animations modules] they usually start releasing videos and screenshots of the game. The reason we only see a certain amount of game-play over and over is because they are the only parts of the game that work without error.

This is the phase the game is in now. 90% of the programming has been done, it is just a matter of making the separate pieces work together. All they are doing is tweaking the programming. Once they have tested the modules in groups, they will put the whole game together and test it. By the time it enters alpha-testing the game is essentially done - nothing more will be added or changed.

Stage 4 - Beta-Testing: In this phase EA hunts for bugs. They have a group of people try it out on a variety of different computers with different specs and operating systems and see what happens. Each day the testers report the bugs back to The Sims Team, who correct the problems and send the fixes back to the testers to see if the fix causes problems. This takes a MINIMUM of 6 weeks and may take longer. It takes the same amount of time for a game as for an EP. [No, you can't be a Beta-Tester - you need a degree in Computer Science to do it right. It is more than just playing the unfinished game. :P ] EA is notorious for not doing this stage right. They should send it out to a reputable third party who specializes in game testing, instead they do it in-house.

Stage 5 - Manufacturing: At this point the game is completely done. They take a copy of the completed, [mostly] debugged game and send it to be copied, get the boxes and the booklets printed and have everything put together. The day it is sent to the manufacturer the game is said to have 'gone gold' [way back in the old days they used to put the finished game on a gold-colored disk]. Then the disks have to be put in the boxes along with the instructions and everything has to be shipped to the retailers. Manufacturing takes a minimum of 3 to 6 weeks for games & EPs both.

There is one exception to this whole thing - variations of objects can be added even during alpha- and beta-testing. Once they have finished programming a chair [and making it work] they can make as many different chairs as they want. Variations of objects will continue to be added right up until the game 'goes gold'. Yes, this includes hair-styles, too [which is what everyone is complaining about] but the new hairstyles will look and act just like the styles we have already seen. They won't be animated and they won't have much more shape than what we have already seen.

Sorry for the long post.

I have also explained the pre-alpha, alpha, and beta stage. But mine was on another post though. :D
  • Options
    Chaz_gChaz_g Posts: 55 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for clearing this up, for both the doubters of the game, and those who are telling everyone not to worry!
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited August 2013
    Nice, I mean I know absolutely nothing about animation/coding/gaming anything lol so this was a good read for me.

I wish more people would read it but I feel they won't. Should I just copy/paste it everytime someone throws pre-alpha around as their argument? xD
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited August 2013
    Very informative and interesting, thanks!!
  • Options
    AmigoneAmigone Posts: 63 New Member
    edited August 2013

Thank you :D
    So the game is in stage 3.
    Does this mean that there is a big chance that The sims 4 can be realesed in early 2014? Like before June?

• Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited August 2013
    I understand if some people don't like the new art style, it is a big change. But I don't understand why the believe there will be a significant change to the art style. They aren't going to hire all new artists and animators at this point. The art style is pretty much set in stone, and if anything, they might just add some more texture. But I wouldn't even be so sure about that.

I don't mind though. I have adjusted to my initial shock over the art style being so different, and now I'm feelin' it! I can't wait to get my hands on that game and dive right in :mrgreen:
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks! :wink:
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited August 2013
    OP are you a part of the EA sims 4 forums because it would be great to plug your blog entry over there too ^^
  • Options
    MilenyNodaMilenyNoda Posts: 474 Member
    edited August 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:

Sorry for the long post.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

you just made my day with this great post billion thanks

so do you think the game will take a whole year to be release ???????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited August 2013
    This is a very informative post for the forums. This really should be stickied.
  • Options
    SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Now that is really informative, thank you.
    So basically EA are nearly done "making the game" so to say. I'm not shocked, I mean the game demo's definitely showed more than a 20% completed game.

I really hope this isn't full of bugs, they better spend a lot of time on bug testing!
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm in game design too, and although that is generally the process, they can always change or add features. Not so likely at this point, but people claiming things can be fixed are not entirely wrong. Major things like weather are fixed (in terms of base game standards) but minor things like food recipes are not. Thanks for posting, as many people are unaware of the game design process! :-)
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited August 2013
    My concern about pre-alpha is that the game will be release in 1.25 years or less. That doesn't give them as much time for testing as you may think.

My "pre-alpha" fear is that we will be their beta testers. I'm afraid that they will release a buggy product with the idea that they'll patch and fix as they go. It's likely the same procedure they used with Sims 3 which is why we need Twallan's mods to fix what they should have fixed before the initial release.
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    edited August 2013
    stage 4 is where they mess up. they should let a select few from the community help with beta testing to get more accurate bug reports ;p
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2013
    hihi122122 wrote:
    I'm in game design too, and although that is generally the process, they can always change or add features. Not so likely at this point, but people claiming things can be fixed are not entirely wrong. Major things like weather are fixed (in terms of base game standards) but minor things like food recipes are not. Thanks for posting, as many people are unaware of the game design process! :-)

They still haven't decided what to do about Create a Style in CAS -- which sounds like it might at least be in the game for build/buy mode. So I guess they can still add some features; the UI for CAS showed very little (only a few hair styles and nothing about the age stages) so that can still be added.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited August 2013
    hihi122122 wrote:

They still haven't decided what to do about Create a Style in CAS -- which sounds like it might at least be in the game for build/buy mode. So I guess they can still add some features; the UI for CAS showed very little (only a few hair styles and nothing about the age stages) so that can still be added.

Right. I posted from a 4 inch screen...that's annoying. Some features (major features) can be added, but only if they want to. It's time consuming. EP's add major features, but they have more time to add them. I really hope they add Create-A-Style. That's a cool feature 8)

UI is not considered a major feature, and changes frequently. And hairs/clothing/furniture are meshes, and are relatively minor -- they're a mold which requires little tweaking to add to the game (once designed).