Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ZooU Course11-Enhance Your Builds with Photography and CAP Tutorial-Links Post One

ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Sims3ZooUCourse11Banner.png"width=700"

Hi, Everyone! Welcome to Zoo U!

Course 11: Enhance Your Builds with Photography and CAP

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png"width=700"

Professor: ZooProfessor3

Description:
This course is about using CAP (the Create-A-Pattern Tool) and the photography skill in game to enhance your builds. Add ANY painting or drawing or poster for which you have a digital image to the walls of the house you just built. Want a photo of your real life dog on the desk of your Sim's office? Now you can have that and SO much more! Explore the many applications for photographs in your build.

Course Prerequisites: It is very desirable to have a Builder's Blank Neighborhood and a quality Tester Sim WITH HIGH LEVEL PHOTOGRAPHY SKILL (see post two of this thread for both these topics) but not required. You should also read the "Note from Your Teacher" post (post five on this thread) and read through the following EXCELLENT tutorial threads linked here (one on CAP and one on Photography in game):
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/631732.page
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/566924.page

Skill Level for Students: Beginning Builder

Required Supplies: Sims 3 base game and patches for each EP. The CAP tool (download from the Sims site) and a Sim who can take photographs. It is highly recommended that this Sim be a level ten photographer with a quality camera.

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png"width=700"

View the Lesson Here:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/105/707132.page#11289454
And Here:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/240/707132.page#11308926

Scroll Down to View the Blackcat Builders post and Visit the Homework Threads of Zoo U Students!

ZooU_HeraldicSeal_CAPSTOCK.png"width=400"

For Zoo U classes that are "live" a time and date will be given, but they may not be given using your time zone.

You can find out what time the class starts in your town using the World Clock site and their time zone converter. Here is a link:
http://www.timeanddate.com/

ALSO IN THIS THREAD:
POST ONE: Course Description and Lesson Links
POST TWO: Information for Zoo U Students
POST THREE: Class Roster for Each Lesson of This Course
POST FOUR: Student Showcase
POST FIVE: A Note From Your Teacher

ZOO U MASTER THREAD (This thread contains all links to Zoo U courses and bookmarking this thread will allow you to always find us), just click the banner below:

zoo_u_threadbanners_mainlogo_masterlink.png"width=700"

oow785m
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2013
    zoo_u_threadbanners_mainlogo_studentinfo-1.png"width=700"

Zoo U students, after registration, please do the following (some things are marked optional, but if it is not marked that way, I will assume that you will do it before the next lesson).

1. Bookmark this thread so that you can find us for the next lesson. This is where the class will be taking place. IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL, but not required, IF YOU WOULD REGISTER FOR EACH LESSON OF THIS COURSE. It keeps the thread bumped so that new students will see it.

2. If you have not accepted a friend request from me, please consider doing that. (this step is optional)

3. IMPORTANT: The class may involve moving back and forth between this thread and your game. You will be posting questions and comments as well as seeing the photo and description of the build step you are supposed to be doing. It is important that you can have the forum opened to this thread but minimized as you build and have your game open but minimized as you come here to post. Please try this out before the course starts by minimizing this window right now, opening up your game and starting a new game, saving your game and hitting the "windows" key on your keyboard (if you have a Mac, kindly scroll down to post four and my friend Wibble will tell you how to do this!) and posting something in this thread (like "Testing that I can post while my game is open") and then going back into your game to make sure all is running well. This all works fine on MY computer, but everyone's machine is different and you don't want any unpleasant surprises when the first lesson begins.

4. I am going to be adding some links to useful threads I'm making for students in Zoo U. It is optional that you do any of those, but they will help you have a smoother time as a builder. I would at least go look at what has been posted, but even that is not required. (This step is optional)

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png

Here is a link to a thread about Tester Families:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/486961.page

Here is the Exchange link for my favorite Tester Sim if you don't want to make your own:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5018210

Here is the Exchange link for a vastly updated version of my favorite Tester Sim (she has a CAP pattern that I made but no CC) and her cat Helix:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6722698

Here is the Exchange link for a group of Tester Sims that would be very helpful if you have Supernatural and are building with Alchemy potions and the like:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6767525

Here is a link to a thread about making a Builder's Blank Neighborhood:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/488892.page

Post edited by Unknown User on
    oow785m
    edited September 2013
    zoo_u_threadbanners_heraldicseal_classroster.png"width=700"

Class Roster for Course 11 "Enhance Your Builds with Photography and CAP!"

pixsidust2
    glenkatko
    dothesmustle
    GreenDream19
    suepea
    Idontrcall
    Marit_Watery
    jenny0786
    nerdy3000
    priscapup
    TarynTempestwind
    aminovas
    Ivanna420
    will2586
    LucyBorgia
    Glenkarri
    BreeMiles
    junceda
    t2evans2000
    BambooEaterrr
    Hidehi
    WrathofCath
    annin7
    samj6
    HARLEY2
    liyah_luvs
    NaeImajica
    omar_sut
    BrysonCityGurl
    Ladybug_COB
    Valkyrie040
    princess0384
    samiam662
    Army008
    sunsetsorbet
    EnchantedRose99

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png

What should I wear to class today?
    Screenshot-54-1.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-46-1.jpg"width=700"

oow785m
    edited June 2014
    The Blackcat Builders (Student Showcase)

Here you will find the links for threads with student work related to this course.
    t2evans2000
    BreeMiles
    samj6
    priscapup
    LucyBorgia
    aminovas
    Hidehi
    suepea
    ObviouSecret

Snowflake-- Official Mascot of the Zoo U Blackcats

Sims3ZooUBannerSnowflakephoto-1.png

Directions for Posting Photos in a Forum Thread:

1. Get a free account from PhotoBucket or any other photo hosting site. This should NOT require a credit card.

2. Follow the directions on the photo hosting site to create an album and upload photos. It will give you an option to Browse your computer to find the photos to upload. If you want to upload screenshots from your game, you will find them in the Electronic Arts folder, in the Sims 3 sub-folder, and in the Screenshots sub-sub folder.

3. Once your photos are in the photo-hosting site, you want a thing called the image code. On Photobucket you hit the little gear icon and choose "Get Links" and then click on the image code one and it copies the code to the clipboard.

4. Open up a fresh forum thread and right-click inside your first post and choose "paste" (that will paste what is in the clipboard-- in this case the image code for your photograph--- into your thread).

5. Photographs that come from a photo-hosting site are too big and will break the thread if you don't resize them. To resize them just type "width=600" (INCLUDING QUOTES) right before the [/IMG] in the long string of symbols which is the image code. Be sure you don't have any spaces added in when you do this and make sure you don't gain or lose any of the symbols from the image code.

6. Choose "preview" to look at what your post will look like before you post it. If you photos all look to suit you then post away!

oow785m
    edited August 2013
    zoo_u_threadbanners_mainlogo_teachernote.png"width=700"

It has come to my attention that some people lurk the Zoo U classes but are too nervous to actually join us. That is just fine, lurkers are certainly welcome, BUT I think students who actually post and interact with each other get more out of the class AND have a lot more fun.

So, for anyone who is worried that they: A. Can't keep up, B. Don't know as much as other students, C. Will embarrass themselves, let's just talk about how a Zoo U class works and about what will and will NOT EVER happen.

BEFORE THE CLASS:
    1. Students register (which is a great help to the course because it bumps our thread and makes it possible for more people to find our course) OR they don't.

Many students plan to attend the class but they don't want to register. I think that is because they think there will be something expected of them BUT THERE WON'T BE. EVERYTHING is voluntary. Ask anyone who has really participated and you will hear that it added to the FUN to post and to interact with the class.

2. Students do the suggested prerequisite things OR they don't.

Sometimes the teacher will suggest using a Builder's Blank neighborhood or making a Tester Sim or viewing a particular video before the class. If you want to do that and have the time then that is great. If it is an optional thing and you NEVER do it, that's fine, too. If it is something that is really needed and you don't have time to do it before the class starts, then just do it during class.

If you didn't watch a video that was to be watched before the lesson and have to do it DURING the lesson, no big deal. You will take longer to get through the lesson but EVERYONE DOES THE LESSON AT THEIR OWN PACE, so who cares?

DURING THE "LIVE" PORTION OF THE CLASS:
    The teacher will post a series of things for you to see or to do. If you can do them within the two-hour time frame of the live class, then you do. If you can't get it all done within the time frame then you don't. NO BIG DEAL EITHER WAY.

The real advantage of doing the steps of the lesson as the teacher gives them to you is that you can post and get an immediate answer for your question. BUT, if you post a question on a Zoo U thread three hours or three days or THREE MONTHS after the lesson was "live" you will STILL get an answer to your question (you just may have to wait a few days for it).

ALL Zoo U threads are monitored forever. Or at least for as long as this site is up and active.

AFTER THE CLASS:
    1. The teacher may post homework and may ask that you do it by a specific due date. Students will do the homework OR THEY WILL CHOOSE NOT TO. Students will be able to get it done by the due date OR THEY WON'T. NO BIG DEAL EITHER WAY.

2. The teacher will encourage you to create a thread to post your homework so that your thread can get linked in the Blackcat Builders (Student Showcase) post. Students will create a thread (asking for help to do that if needed) and will post the link for that thread on the course thread so that their thread can be added to the Blackcat Builders post OR THEY WON'T MAKE A THREAD. NO BIG DEAL EITHER WAY.

The idea is for you to try out the stuff you learned in the class and maybe show off a little. It is to let students share their work with each other and give their teacher a place to go and give feedback on what looks great and on how to improve on things that maybe don't work as well.

Any criticism is of the HIGHLY constructive nature and so far NO ONE has ever been offended or had their feelings hurt. And can I just say, I have NEVER seen ANY homework assignment that I didn't think, "Wow, this is looking so good!"

Zoo U students have continually impressed me. Even when they had problems (which you would EXPECT as this is SCHOOL and we don't think you will already know how to do what is being taught) those were addressed and fixed. And the teacher was engaged and actively trying to help until the problems WERE fixed.

My Main Point:
    This is a safe, FUN learning environment. No one is going to call you out for not doing something or for not doing it right. No one is going to make you feel dumb or bad about ANYTHING.

Students who have the best time tend to be those who really do treat it as a class and try to interact with their teacher and with their classmates as much as possible, BUT even if you sit quietly in the back and never post that is fine, too. You can be a part of our class in any way that makes you feel comfortable.

I challenge you to go look at some of the other Zoo U course threads. Look at the reaction that students have gotten when they have posted questions and problems. I think that will take all the nerves right away.

Sincerely hoping you will join us,

Zoo

ZooU_HeraldicSeal_CAPSTOCK.png"width=500"
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    zoo_u_forumfooters_decal_try.png

Just post the words "Register Me" in this thread to join us on Saturday, August 31st!
    oow785m
  • pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2013
    oooo shiney new Zoo U Course! (been stalking your thread since I saw it pop up. :mrgreen: )

Register me please Zoo! 8)
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
    edited August 2013
    pixsidust2 wrote:
    oooo shiney new Zoo U Course! (been stalking your thread since I saw it pop up. :mrgreen: )

Register me please Zoo! 8)

WHOOT, first student!

Hi, Pixsi! Sorry, I had dinner get delivered while I was in the middle of thread construction. I will put you on the roster right away.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • glenkatkoglenkatko Posts: 885 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register Me, please!

I tend to be one of those students who doesn't turn in homework, but I am definitely using what I learn in my own builds! Thanks for offering these classes!
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register me please.

I have worked on my own through the other lessons except CFE (it frightens the bejaysus out me) since I was oblivious to their existence (I am an oblivious type of chic)but I really want to take part in the fun, I mean serious business of learning.
    Thank you Kindly
    Smustle x
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • GreenDream19GreenDream19 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register me please!

I have never tried CAP before and would love the opportunity to try it out with your help! :D

Thanks Zoo! :D
  • annin7annin7 Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm here as a cheerleader! Mr.Fatty in pyjama... :mrgreen:

• suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited August 2013
    I am in :-) Register me, please!
    h2xmsbl]
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited August 2013
    Please register me, Zoo. My current sim is level 5 or 6 photography, but I shall have fun running her up to level 10 by class time :)
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Marit_WateryMarit_Watery Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm still working on my Moo'ing, but register me anyway please. :mrgreen:
  • pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register me please.

I have worked on my own through the other lessons except CFE (it frightens the bejaysus out me) since I was oblivious to their existence (I am an oblivious type of chic)but I really want to take part in the fun, I mean serious business of learning.
    Thank you Kindly
    Smustle x

CFE was actually a super awesome lesson, and surprisingly easy. I LOVED that one. I was nervous about it too, but I picked it up really quickly and now when I do use it it comes out really awesome.
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register Me, PLEASE
  • nerdy3000nerdy3000 Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register me! :mrgreen:

I was the worst participant ever last time. I'm deeply ashamed of myself. I'll try my hardest to be better this course.
    edited August 2013
    glenkatko wrote:
    Register Me, please!

I tend to be one of those students who doesn't turn in homework, but I am definitely using what I learn in my own builds! Thanks for offering these classes!

No worries! Do the homework if you wish and don't if you don't. :mrgreen:

If you are learning stuff to help you when you build then that is why I started Zoo U in the first place.

You are registered!
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    Register me please.

Thank you Kindly
    Smustle x

LOL! The serious business of learning should BE fun! You are registered and Welcome to Zoo U!

By the way, I love your user name.

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    Register me please!

I have never tried CAP before and would love the opportunity to try it out with your help! :D

Thanks Zoo! :D

CAP and photography opened up a whole new world for me in building. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Just having people make T-Shirts for the last class using CAP was so much fun. It really adds to the experience when you can add images that are personal to you to your Sim and your build.

You are registered and Welcome to Zoo U, Dearest Teammate!

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    annin7 wrote:
    I'm here as a cheerleader! Mr.Fatty in pyjama... :mrgreen:

Oh, Annin, I will so miss you if you aren't a student! Your photos were one of the highlights of the last course--- so funny and clever!

I guess if you are too busy to play with us, we will have to be content with you as our cheerleader. :D
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    suepea wrote:
    I am in :-) Register me, please!

You're registered, Susie P! I'm seeing some of my hard-core Zoo Uers on the roster, so this should be fun!
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    Idontrcall wrote:
    Please register me, Zoo. My current sim is level 5 or 6 photography, but I shall have fun running her up to level 10 by class time :)

Hi, IDR! The only thing that higher levels of photography give are more options for sizes and styles. At level ten you have all the options available to you.

You're registered!

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    I'm still working on my Moo'ing, but register me anyway please. :mrgreen:

I totally get being busy MOOing, I haven't even STARTED on the second assignment.

I put off our start for course 11 by one week to try to let students get caught up.

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    pixsidust2 wrote:
    Register me please.

Thank you Kindly
    Smustle x

CFE was actually a super awesome lesson, and surprisingly easy. I LOVED that one. I was nervous about it too, but I picked it up really quickly and now when I do use it it comes out really awesome.

Thanks for the comments, Pixsi! Svlyn taught the CFE course and I thought she was just amazing. I'm really glad to hear that you got a lot out of that one.

Zoo
    oow785m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top