Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope there are more "in-between" ages now.

One of my biggest gripes with TS3 and all past Sims games is that there's no "in-between" ages for younger Sims. You have a baby, then the baby is a toddler which works, then SHOOM! Toddler's now a ten year-old child! SHOOM Ten year-old becomes 16 and learns how to drive!

We need just two ages to balance it out: Young Child, and Preteen. That way Sims don't go SHOOM again.

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited August 2013
    Aside from unrealistically slowing down the aging process (in terms of human lifespan, "shoom" is precisely how young humans grows into adults; our childhoods are ridiculously short compared to our adult years), what do those two add? They seem to do more in the way of detracting content. Plus, the only thing unique about preteens is actually against ESRB policy to allow in video games.
  • Options
    FuzzlechanFuzzlechan Posts: 20 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Aside from unrealistically slowing down the aging process (in terms of human lifespan, "shoom" is precisely how young humans grows into adults; our childhoods are ridiculously short compared to our adult years), what do those two add? They seem to do more in the way of detracting content. Plus, the only thing unique about preteens is actually against ESRB policy to allow in video games.

I can't find ANYTHING about the ESRB not allowing preteens in video games. oO
  • Options
    SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Even if in the middle of the age state, they have a little growth spurt would do for me.

The Adults/Elders thing is ridiculous. It looks stupid that my teen has a wrinkly 80 year old mother. I hope the Elders are less stooped over and are provided with more young clothes.
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited August 2013
    I remember you saying the same thing when wrote this idea into a full Sims 4 concept months ago. Why would it detract from the gameplay? If anything they'd add more to it. More challenge for raising young children and more interactions like crushes preteens. Plus they could release more content in the store to get more money! (Just kidding about that last part.)

And they wouldn't have to do all that, about what you're saying will go against ESRB, any more than they already do for teens in TS3 (mood swings, etc).

One of the main reasons I would like these ages is that I'm a storyteller. I use Sims to tell stories, and it's kinda hard to make a teen look twelve or a child look 5 when they're standing next to Sims of the same age. It would also, in a way, add to the family dynamic.

Or heck, they could be doing things in a different way and giving us gradual aging! Which I say "Go team!"

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited August 2013
    Fuzzlechan wrote:

Tayna's talking about stuff that girls have happened to them every month, and its goes into a tricky category for the Sims games when teens can't do taboo topic. Some how even voice changes is risky for EA to do in the sims.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Even if in the middle of the age state, they have a little growth spurt would do for me.

The Adults/Elders thing is ridiculous. It looks stupid that my teen has a wrinkly 80 year old mother. I hope the Elders are less stooped over and are provided with more young clothes.

Or give us more of an option in the family selection. Why not allow "Adults" to be parents of Young Adults?
  • Options
    3fansforever3fansforever Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited August 2013
    Not necessary. All I want is more interactions and gameplay options of the younger ages. NO need to waste time on those silly ages inbetween.

Ide also like to see sims grow. not just a stupid twirl animation then wala your older.
    I want progression. i want to see sims get slightly taller. its way more realistic.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Fuzzlechan wrote:

Considering I never said they didn't allow preteens, I don't see why that's a problem.
    adventfear wrote:
    I remember you saying the same thing when wrote this idea into a full Sims 4 concept months ago. Why would it detract from the gameplay? If anything they'd add more to it. More challenge for raising young children and more interactions like crushes preteens. Plus they could release more content in the store to get more money! (Just kidding about that last part.)

And they wouldn't have to do all that, about what you're saying will go against ESRB, any more than they already do for teens in TS3 (mood swings, etc).

One of the main reasons I would like these ages is that I'm a storyteller. I use Sims to tell stories, and it's kinda hard to make a teen look twelve or a child look 5 when they're standing next to Sims of the same age. It would also, in a way, add to the family dynamic.

Or heck, they could be doing things in a different way and giving us gradual aging! Which I say "Go team!"

I asked what it would add.

Problem you're not seeing: They have limited time to do anything in this game. Each life stage is less content for all other life stages because it is less time spent on those life stages. Adding an additional one for Sims 3 base game is what helped cause the complete lack of content for babies and toddlers, as well as how little children had and how un-unique adults were until Generations. So, just one life stage negatively affected at least three others.

So, yes, this would detract from the game a bit; that's just part of the problem with having limited time to create a game. But, what would it add? They can't add the unique item for preteens, so what else is there? Simply doing things differently isn't enough; if anything, that's a very poor excuse for adding something.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Fuzzlechan wrote:

Considering I never said they didn't allow preteens, I don't see why that's a problem.
    adventfear wrote:

Problem you're not seeing: They have limited time to do anything in this game. Each life stage is less content for all other life stages because it is less time spent on those life stages. Adding an additional one for Sims 3 base game is what helped cause the complete lack of content for babies and toddlers, as well as how little children had and how un-unique adults were until Generations. So, just one life stage negatively affected at least three others.

So, yes, this would detract from the game a bit; that's just part of the problem with having limited time to create a game. But, what would it add? They can't add the unique item for preteens, so what else is there? Simply doing things differently isn't enough; if anything, that's a very poor excuse for adding something.

That's the thing. You use the Sims 3 as an example, when The Sims 4 is built on a completely different engine and is, by all accounts, a completely different game using new technology. We don't know what kinds of limits they've set, and if the rumors are true they've been working on this game for nearly a year and a half already. We don't know what they're gonna do, how the game's gonna play, what ages they will add and what interactions they'll bring. This thread was me saying I HOPE they add them for a sake of realism and a sake of storytelling.

And you wanna know what kinds of actions they could have?

YC could have temper tantrums, draw on the walls, finger paint, make messes for the sake of making messes, run around the house until they tire out, try to do things that older kids can but failing, yet still learning skills through means of learning from their mistakes etc.

Preteens could have crushes which would go into the new relationship concept they're doing, more mood swings than normal teens, still play with toys, hang out with friends, write in diaries and journals, pester their parents to buy things, have more emotional attachments to certain things, etc.

There are a lot of things that they could do with these two ages, but we don't know if they'll even have them until Gamescom tomorrow. I'm just being hopeful.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited August 2013
    I can just about accept why people want pre-teens because the child stage looks so much younger than the teen stage. But to be honest, I feel like if we are to have an extra stage we only need one. If we had pre-teens, we don't need the "young child" option because to me, the "young child" sounds barely above a toddler. I don't think we need that. But if we had pre-teens we'd cover the school ages nicely:

Primary school - Child (4-8 )
    Middle School - Pre-teen (8-12 but I believe it varies depending on where you live)
    Secondary/High School - 12-18 )

I think that covers all bases, and the different stages of childhood.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    adventfear wrote:
    Fuzzlechan wrote:

adventfear wrote:

That's the thing. You use the Sims 3 as an example, when The Sims 4 is built on a completely different engine and is, by all accounts, a completely different game using new technology. We don't know what kinds of limits they've set, and if the rumors are true they've been working on this game for nearly a year and a half already. We don't know what they're gonna do, how the game's gonna play, what ages they will add and what interactions they'll bring. This thread was me saying I HOPE they add them for a sake of realism and a sake of storytelling.

YC could have temper tantrums, draw on the walls, finger paint, make messes for the sake of making messes, run around the house until they tire out, try to do things that older kids can but failing, yet still learning skills through means of learning from their mistakes etc.

Preteens could have crushes which would go into the new relationship concept they're doing, more mood swings than normal teens, still play with toys, hang out with friends, write in diaries and journals, pester their parents to buy things, have more emotional attachments to certain things, etc.

There are a lot of things that they could do with these two ages, but we don't know if they'll even have them until Gamescom tomorrow. I'm just being hopeful.

I use Sims 3 as an example because of one reality of video game development: The game engine doesn't matter as much as long as everything else is still done the same way. And, sadly, everything else is still done the same way now as it was ten years ago. That is why Sims 3 is a great example; you can use it to demonstrate ways in which lack of time for development hurt the game and how that issue needs to be taken seriously.

And, no, it's not built upon a completely different technology; the hardware all works the same way now as it did ten years ago. The software all has the same underlying foundations, graphics programs have barely moved forward at all, and programming languages have not changed. Most of the technology that actually would have an impact on development is still pretty much the exact same as it was years ago.

As for realism and storytelling: Sadly, realism has never been a big concern for this series and actually is an argument for a lot of things the developers have stated are against the spirit of the game, so that one's out. Storytelling... well, I've never seen a time when a Sim dev actually had it as a priority concern, so that one's out.

As for all of the things you mentioned for YCs: Why can't toddlers have those actions? They would be great for that stage.

The preteens one... That basically is taking ideas from teens and children, then mixing them. That's not unique, and could easily be divided between those two groups to better shore them up.

And, seriously, if all you can come up with is items that better belong in other life stages... what makes you think the devs would do any better? Or that they wouldn't reject the two life stages for exactly the same reasons I just did?

When I ask what they would add... I'm asking for stuff that would be unique only to them. Stuff that would not be able to fit into any other life stage. It's a difficult challenge, I'll admit, but keep in mind the alternative is just to make other life stages less interesting.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited August 2013
    I have absolutely no need for a preteen stage.

Of course I didn't recognize my own children as "preteens". They were kids until they were 13 then they were teens.
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2013
    What the hell is a young child? No offense but it seems like you want to add in the extra "ages" (and i use that term loosely), just for the sake of having them. Also what would adding in the "pre-teen" stage actually do for the gameplay? As Tanya said by adding more life stages, that takes away from the ones that we already have. If you think about it, it does. In the sims 2 there was a ton more interactions and objects for the children, the toddlers, and the babies. In the sims 3 the YA got added and then that was the main focus along with the adults.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    DESIMDESIM Posts: 106 New Member
    edited August 2013
    adventfear wrote:
    We need just two ages to balance it out: Young Child, and Preteen. That way Sims don't go SHOOM again.

Couldn't agree more! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited August 2013
    young child 4-5 year old?

baby 0-1 year. 2-3 toddler, 4-7 young child. child 8-9. (Sims children always have looked to be in Gr.3)

10-12 pre-teen

13-17 teenager

18-30+ young adult

?-? adult

? elder
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2013
    Plus, the only thing unique about preteens is actually against ESRB policy to allow in video games.
    You missed the point. The point to having more ages is so we can SEE our Sims children grow up more gradually without going "Whoah ... from age 8 to age 16 in one second!! Dang!!!"

The problem with more ages, of course, is that there will be fewer clothing options for each age, because each age (for the most part) will need its own clothing meshes, which means extra work for the EA developers.
  • Options
    AnshinAnshin Posts: 446 Member
    edited August 2013
    adventfear wrote:
    Fuzzlechan wrote:

adventfear wrote:

I use Sims 3 as an example because of one reality of video game development: The game engine doesn't matter as much as long as everything else is still done the same way. And, sadly, everything else is still done the same way now as it was ten years ago. That is why Sims 3 is a great example; you can use it to demonstrate ways in which lack of time for development hurt the game and how that issue needs to be taken seriously.

And, no, it's not built upon a completely different technology; the hardware all works the same way now as it did ten years ago. The software all has the same underlying foundations, graphics programs have barely moved forward at all, and programming languages have not changed. Most of the technology that actually would have an impact on development is still pretty much the exact same as it was years ago.

As for realism and storytelling: Sadly, realism has never been a big concern for this series and actually is an argument for a lot of things the developers have stated are against the spirit of the game, so that one's out. Storytelling... well, I've never seen a time when a Sim dev actually had it as a priority concern, so that one's out.

As for all of the things you mentioned for YCs: Why can't toddlers have those actions? They would be great for that stage.

The preteens one... That basically is taking ideas from teens and children, then mixing them. That's not unique, and could easily be divided between those two groups to better shore them up.

And, seriously, if all you can come up with is items that better belong in other life stages... what makes you think the devs would do any better? Or that they wouldn't reject the two life stages for exactly the same reasons I just did?

When I ask what they would add... I'm asking for stuff that would be unique only to them. Stuff that would not be able to fit into any other life stage. It's a difficult challenge, I'll admit, but keep in mind the alternative is just to make other life stages less interesting.

:) APPLAUSE!!! :)
    This is the game that never ends
    Yes, it goes on and on, my friends
    Some people started playing it not knowing what it was
    And they′ll continue playing it forever just because ...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Penelope wrote:
    Plus, the only thing unique about preteens is actually against ESRB policy to allow in video games.
    You missed the point. The point to having more ages is so we can SEE our Sims children grow up more gradually without going "Whoah ... from age 8 to age 16 in one second!! Dang!!!"

The problem with more ages, of course, is that there will be fewer clothing options for each age, because each age (for the most part) will need its own clothing meshes, which means extra work for the EA developers.

I didn't miss the point. I'm pointing out that the point isn't a good enough reason to add it to the game.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    edited August 2013
    "What the hell is a young child?"

Maybe a preschooler?

I agree with adding those 2 ages. I say that the preschooler follows the child, and the child get the "younger child" to do things, and believe things (like my older siblings tried to do). lol Idk, but I do want that for kids.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Goodywood wrote:
    "What the hell is a young child?"

Maybe a preschooler?

I agree with adding those 2 ages. I say that the preschooler follows the child, and the child get the "younger child" to do things, and believe things (like my older siblings tried to do). lol Idk, but I do want that for kids.

Congrats. You just answered what's unique about the young child life stage :wink:

No, I'm not being sarcastic. Preschool, if treated properly, would be unique.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    edited August 2013
    Penelope wrote:

I think younger child and child can share same clothes, they just have to modify it to fit both. Like they do with teen and adult a lot of times. But my think is the animations. Like when they sit, or interact with other Sims, all have to be adding and height adjusted. That could be a lot of work.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited August 2013

Of course I didn't recognize my own children as "preteens". They were kids until they were 13 then they were teens.

I don't remember identifying as a preteen myself. I think it's more of a recent thing, probably a marketing ploy like most things these days!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I don't remember identifying as a preteen myself. I think it's more of a recent thing, probably a marketing ploy like most things these days!

It is. It was originally created as a marketing ploy for health information, certain products, and activities for people age 12-14 back in the 1980s and since became more well known.

However, the definition of it was also, back then, tied to the onset of certain physical changes in girls. These days, it would actually be considered to be ages 8-10.
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2013

Same thing with the whole "tween" thing. Young Child, Preteen, Tween, I think people like to make up words. :)
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Same thing with the whole "tween" thing. Young Child, Preteen, Tween, I think people like to make up words. :)

Tween actually exists! It was created in the 1950s by J.R.R. Tolkien. Of course, his definition is "hobbit in their twenties," so it doesn't apply like it does now...