Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Owning a Second Home

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited July 2013
    Do you have to have world adventures to buy a second home, because I can't purchase homes, just community lots

I believe you just have to have updated your game to the latest patch to be able to buy a second home. The only thing World Adventures lets you do is buy a vacation home in one of the vacation worlds if you have a level three visa.
  • Options
    BadshebaBadsheba Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    With owning multiple homes, you can activate the roommates option under real estate. You recieve rent also.
  • Options
    rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    edited August 2013
    I really like the owning a second home feature, but I am annoyed that I cannot do certain things in my second home. These things are:

1) Cook. Why on earth can't you cook at your second house? This just seems silly. Are there any programmers who know the reason for this (if there is a programming-related reason)?

2) Access my nectar collection. I had an extensive nectar cellar at my original house, then I moved into the second home and now all I can do with the nectar racks at the first is "browse." Again, as with cooking, is there any good reason for this?

3) Open bookshelves. Also mystifying.

4) Set sims for certain doors and/or beds. This would really help for those of us who want to de facto split our households, even if only one registers as home for the purposes of work carpools.

Does anyone know of any mods/cheats/workarounds out there yet that would allow me to circumvent any or all of these annoyances?

Thanks!
  • Options
    -Luvblue--Luvblue- Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I just tried this and after I purchased the additional home and everytime ive tried to move it kept moving the entire family whether I did it by phone or computer, but on here it sounds like some of you said you have split it so the YA in the family have moved to the 2nd home and the parents have stayed behind and you were still able to play both houses.. if so, can someone please explain to me exactly how this was done??

Thanks.
  • Options
    JeniferJuniperJeniferJuniper Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I bought homes for each of the adult children in my family and they could live there. (Although the "home" button would take them back to the parents. This also happened automatically when returning from travel.) Each of my Sims worked from home, but I suspect that the carpools would also go to the main house if they had jobs. Also, they could not have children in the other homes... children (and teens) must sleep in the "main" house. One great feature was that one of the parents was a master cook and she could prepare all their favorite meals and put the leftovers in her fridge and the adult children could then access those leftovers from their own fridges. I did have to upgrade the fridges in each of the other homes, however, to keep the leftovers fresh and get them that great meal moodlet! I also discovered that the maximum of eight Sims was still in force even with all the houses.
  • Options
    Nobodysgirl333Nobodysgirl333 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2014
    For those who want more then 8 sim try Twallan's Master Controller at NRaas. This mod will allow you to set the number of sims you want in your household as well as do many other things. Very handy for anyone wanting large families. www.nraas.wikispaces.com
  • Options
    ALlewelynJonesALlewelynJones Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2014
    You can cook in the second hone you just need to click on the cooker instead of a fridge. just trying this feature out so if I discover anything else will post here
    Join me for fun on my YouTube Channel where I create Let's Plays, CAS and build videos.
    Other games may appear from time to time to!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CalienteLlama

• Options
    kristinkelseykristinkelsey Posts: 96 Member
    edited March 2014
    For this bed assigning matter in the second home: If you were to assign the bed to the sim you wanted to move to the second home inside the primary home, would the bed maintain it's assignment when moved to the second home?
    Just something to test out.

And yes, some have said in this thread that they were somehow able to split the household. How do you go about doing that?
  • Options
    1LemonCookie1LemonCookie Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    Why not just have the sims you want to move out, just plainly move out?
    There's the option in Edit Town to change the active household; so you can just switch between households whenever you want. Or am I overlooking something here? ._.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    edited March 2014
    There's the option in Edit Town to change the active household; so you can just switch between households whenever you want. Or am I overlooking something here? ._.

Hello and welcome to the forums... :D

Sure you can switch active households but there are things that players don't like about it. What a lot of players don't like is the story progression that is in TS3. When you have it on and switch households, the Sims in the household that you just played will go about their lives and have the possibility that they will move out of town, get a divorce, have more kids, change jobs or die before you get back to them. So this is the reason why people wanted to be able to split up the household to the second home and still play the original Sims that they started with. They would be able to go back and forth between homes without going into edit town to switch the active household.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited March 2014
    One of the reasons I wanted a second lot was space. I have a family that now lives in Appaloosa Plains. They have a horse, 2 kids, and 2 other pets. (The older child is now a YA and will be moving to a new world.) Anyway, my home lot has a huge ranch style home and a big gardening/nectary greenhouse. I wanted more room for a horse barn and running space for him.

The lot next door was available for a little over 16,000 simoleons. It had a small house on it, but the lot was as big as my home lot, 50x50. I built a barn on it and fixed the house up just a bit. You can see in the photo that the Equestrian Center is also nearby (top-right) and so is the training grounds. The smaller glass room in front of the larger house is a hot tub building.

[img]http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/825/864/016/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=640"[/img]

From the back, you can see there's a big fishing hole in the second lot and room for a small jumping course.

[img]http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/823/864/016/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=640"[/img]

The horse stays on the second lot, has a sheltered stall in the barn for when the weather gets bad. The household visits him. He can also run down to the training arena and practice further jumping and racing.

[img]http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/820/864/016/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=640"[/img]

Here's a shot of the insides of the buildings on the smaller lot. You can see that one of my sims is sleeping there. They can stay there as long as they want or run next door. (The child can't stay overnight. He gets a curfew warning unless with an adult.) The household can cook, upgrade appliances, etc. As someone mentioned, they can't open the bookshelf, but they can read from it. I can't assign the bed for some reason, which is strange because I have the assign beds option in base camps when I travel.

Oh, and the second lot can be converted to a resort at some point too. Maybe I'll try a dude ranch when the time comes. :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lisasc360 wrote:

Sure you can switch active households but there are things that players don't like about it. What a lot of players don't like is the story progression that is in TS3. When you have it on and switch households, the Sims in the household that you just played will go about their lives and have the possibility that they will move out of...

Hi, thank you c:
    oh I see :0
    guess 2 homes do come in handy then ._.
    I'd be pretty sad to return home only to find your own grave and a house full of sad people. And then return to the other household to continue there and find that the sims moved out of town xD
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lisasc360 wrote:

Sure you can switch active households but there are things that players don't like about it. What a lot of players don't like is the story progression that is in TS3. When you have it on and switch households, the Sims in the household that you just played will go about their lives and have the possibility that they will move out of...

Hi, thank you c:
    oh I see :0
    guess 2 homes do come in handy then ._.
    I'd be pretty sad to return home only to find your own grave and a house full of sad people. And then return to the other household to continue there and find that the sims moved out of town xD

You're welcome... :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lanlyn wrote:
    One of the reasons I wanted a second lot was space. I have a family that now lives in Appaloosa Plains. They have a horse, 2 kids, and 2 other pets. (The older child is now a YA and will be moving to a new world.) Anyway, my home lot has a huge ranch style home and a big gardening/nectary greenhouse. I wanted more room for a horse barn and running space for him.

The lot next door was available for a little over 16,000 simoleons. It had a small house on it, but the lot was as big as my home lot, 50x50. I built a barn on it and fixed the house up just a bit. You can see in the photo that the Equestrian Center is also nearby (top-right) and so is the training grounds. The smaller glass room in front of the larger house is a hot tub building.

From the back, you can see there's a big fishing hole in the second lot and room for a small jumping course.

The horse stays on the second lot, has a sheltered stall in the barn for when the weather gets bad. The household visits him. He can also run down to the training arena and practice further jumping and racing.

Here's a shot of the insides of the buildings on the smaller lot. You can see that one of my sims is sleeping there. They can stay there as long as they want or run next door. (The child can't stay overnight. He gets a curfew warning unless with an adult.) The household can cook, upgrade appliances, etc. As someone mentioned, they can't open the bookshelf, but they can read from it. I can't assign the bed for some reason, which is strange because I have the assign beds option in base camps when I travel.

Oh, and the second lot can be converted to a resort at some point too. Maybe I'll try a dude ranch when the time comes. :lol:

A what now? xD
    Had to google that to know what a dude ranch was xD
    You've got so much space ._.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lanlyn wrote:

A what now? xD
    Had to google that to know what a dude ranch was xD
    You've got so much space ._.

And that's another good reason for a second lot is if you didn't want a second house but build a resort if you have the Island Paradise EP. Or you can se to make another building say for a studio for your artistic Sims that paint or who likes to use the inventing table or for the sculpture in the family or even a garden if your home lot doesn't have enough room for one... :D
  • Options
    pottyweeladpottyweelad Posts: 8 New Member
    edited April 2014
    I've been trying to test out this new feature as well, but I'm rather upset that the sim who purchased the second home can't lock any doors or gates. I'm not ever sure how necessary it is, but for what I'm planning I don't want others or animals just roaming in to do what they want.

I purchased a lot across the street to use as a large greenhouse and orchard. My parent sim (my Dad, in this case) wants to be a master gardener and while the family lives on a large lot there really isn't space for him to grow or expand in terms of gardening. When I purchased the second lot I split the space up, partly for the orchard and partly for the large greenhouse. The problem is, I can't lock any doors or gates. I don't want other sims or animals coming in and taking whatever produce they want or messing up all his hard work in the garden. I don't know how possible it will be so I'll just have to play and see, but right now fencing in the orchard doesn't even seem to matter if I can't lock the gate. Wish they'd change this.

Haven't really gotten into it yet, but I'm hoping I won't run into any more problems. I'm assuming I'll have to move Dad to that lot if he wants to be able to plant anything on it. When he's done for the day though, he can just live and sleep at the main house like normal by clicking the "Go Home" button right? Or do I constantly have to move him back and forth?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pottyweelad: I've never had a town sim/npc come to my second lot without my active sims specifically grouping up with them and taking them over there. It seems pretty private, so I don't think you have to worry too much about trespassers. I did install a burglar alarm, but I doubt it would matter. The second lot plays more like a community lot in some ways.

As for the animals, if your garden is in a greenhouse, wildlife will not go in there. If outdoors, I've noticed that deer and horses cannot go through single gates. I've never seen an animal eat off of garden trees either, so the orchard should be ok. Horses and deer might be able to reach over fences though. I've heard that deer can jump a fence, but I think that's rare for them to do and probably not intentional to get to food (just moving through).

Also, you might want to put up those special lawn gnomes on the second lot that you can reset to warn wildlife away. You know which ones I'm talking about? You get them in buy mode.

You don't have to "move" the dad to the new lot, just direct him to go there. Click a plant, for instance, and choose "Tend Garden." When he's through with his work, just tell him to go home, or click somewhere on the home lot for him to go there. He can go back and forth easily. You can even keep a fridge, stove or grill, at the new lot in case he gets hungry or a bathroom to use. That way he wouldn't have to run home if he has needs, but isn't finished working.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited April 2014
    Do those gnomes really keep animals away? One of my households got one as a wedding gift. I thought it was just a cute decoration, which I put by the gate into their fenced garden.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    IreneSwift wrote:
    Do those gnomes really keep animals away? One of my households got one as a wedding gift. I thought it was just a cute decoration, which I put by the gate into their fenced garden.
    You're talking about the ones with the signs about cats, dogs, wildlife (or is it strays?), not just the garden gnomes with no signs, right? Based on my experience, they will definitely attract the type of animal that's on the sign. You have to change the setting by clicking on the gnome and choosing to forbid animals in order to stop strays, etc. That option has worked for me too; although I've only used that one once or twice. Other people may have had different results, but for me, they work both ways.
  • Options
    RClayton77RClayton77 Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Can you only split up the in-laws and non-in-laws? Because I can't figure out how to do it with my origanal household without kicking them out or moving the entire family. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know! Thanks!
  • Options
    MakaelaLuallenMakaelaLuallen Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    I brought a second home, I believe you may not be able to increase the number of Sims per household. I may be wrong but it only seems logical you can't.

Is this for Sims 3? I can't even get the option to buy a second home. How do you get that option?
  • Options
    pottyweeladpottyweelad Posts: 8 New Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:
    pottyweelad: I've never had a town sim/npc come to my second lot without my active sims specifically grouping up with them and taking them over there. It seems pretty private, so I don't think you have to worry too much about trespassers. I did install a burglar alarm, but I doubt it would matter. The second lot plays more like a community lot in some ways.

As for the animals, if your garden is in a greenhouse, wildlife will not go in there. If outdoors, I've noticed that deer and horses cannot go through single gates. I've never seen an animal eat off of garden trees either, so the orchard should be ok. Horses and deer might be able to reach over fences though. I've heard that deer can jump a fence, but I think that's rare for them to do and probably not intentional to get to food (just moving through).

Also, you might want to put up those special lawn gnomes on the second lot that you can reset to warn wildlife away. You know which ones I'm talking about? You get them in buy mode.

You don't have to "move" the dad to the new lot, just direct him to go there. Click a plant, for instance, and choose "Tend Garden." When he's through with his work, just tell him to go home, or click somewhere on the home lot for him to go there. He can go back and forth easily. You can even keep a fridge, stove or grill, at the new lot in case he gets hungry or a bathroom to use. That way he wouldn't have to run home if he has needs, but isn't finished working.

Thanks so much @lanlyn for clarifying. The greenhouse and orchard are coming along nicely and I haven't had any problems with NPC. My Dad's sim happens to be a celebrity (because of his amazing produce, lol), and the paparazzi do come around quite often. THEY will come inside of the second property to take pics etc., but that's it so far. Haven't noticed anyone else attempting to steal produce! I had an issue with a deer early on but realized that it was because everything wasn't properly closed in. Fixed that issue and haven't had any other problems!
  • Options
    peabuddypeabuddy Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2014
    extremeasaur, can you or someone else explain exactly HOW you moved part of the family in to the additional home? Did you do the normal split and then make them pay? If I click on the additional home and say "move here", the whole family goes. How do I split the family and have just some actually LIVE there? can someone give me clear or step by step instructions on this please? Thank you