Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Avoid buying sims 4 for Mac or sims 3

I'm sorry but I have to say this.... I've been a die hard fan sence sims came out. What gets me mad is that the sims creators say that we fans are important to them little do they know a lot of us are mad because we aren't able to play these games probably half simmers are still struggling to play these games and yet they keep coming out with more EPs and SP and let mac users disappointed because we always have errors and all that lagginess etc etc i can go on how crappy it plays on the macs. If they cared about us like they say they do they will make sure that the sims 4 will play on Mac computers with no issue like the pcs. Being for the reason of a "cider" issue we mac users have all these problems being able to successfully play these games. EA doesn't care about us THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT ARE MONEY ! that is probably why more expansion packs keep coming out. Because it all has to do WITH MONEY! ey trick us into thinking just because its for Mac too that it will play fine but it doesn't they just want your money and he rest they don't care. As long as they getting money nothing else matters.

if they decide to have this same issue with macs for sims 4 I'm sorry as much as I love the sims series I'm going have to give up searching for my computer I love macs to much to go back to pcs. when they start giving a s*%# about us mac users then they can get all my money. And people who are buying sims with Mac don't because its not gonna work at all it may work for awhile but it will eventually crash. EA NEEDS TO STOP BEING GREEDY AND START CARING ABOUT US TOO.

PS. AVOID PURCAHSING SIMS 4 IF YOU ARE GONNA USE IT ON YOUR MAC ITS A SHAME HOW EA DON'T CARE ABOUT US MAC USERS. IF YOU BUY IT FOR MAC IF THEY DON'T FIX THIS ISSUE OF A "CIDER" ISSUE DON'T KEEP GIVING ALL THAT MONEY YOU WORKED HARD FOR TO THEM BECAUSE THEY COME OUT WIH ALL THESE EXPANSION PACKS SO IT CAN RUIN YOUR COMPUTER OR MAKE YOU BUY ANOTHHER COMPUTER OR SELL YOU SOMETHING THAT ISN'T FULLY COMPATIBLE IT OLAYS BUT IT LACKS. IM NOT MAKING THST SAME MISTSKE I HAVE TO RETURN A IMAC 27 THST I ORDERED ONLINE BECAUSE I DID MY RESEARCH IM GRTTING MY MONEY BACK AND IM NOT BUYING SIMS 4 UNLESS ITS NOT A FRAUD TO GET MY MONEY!!!!!!!!

PSS. domt waist your money on something that won't work on your Mac its sad really how money is the only thing that is important to them when we are the only reason why the sims is such a huge success. don't waist your time with sims and macs cause its not gonna work hopefully they change there ways for this new one otherwise if not stay away keep your money EA doesn't deserve it.

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited August 2013
    There is no reason to expect that the Sims 4 won't run just as well on a Mac as it will on a Windows computer.

The Sims 3 was the first version of the game which EA made for Mac too. This game seems to have given a lot of problems on Windows computers too. (In my opinion EA was too ambitious when they included the huge open neighborhood with simultaneous aging everywhere.) So I am not convinced that it didn't work as well on Mac as it did under Windows.

Anyway a lot of Mac owners use Boot Camp to be able to run Windows games too.
  • MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    edited August 2013
    How do you even know TS4 won't work on mac? When TS3 first came out Mac wasn't as big as it is now. They can't fix that through a patch. Its a hardwear issue.
  • treelifetreelife Posts: 254
    edited August 2013
    @MadMan, um... with all due respect, how can it be a hardware issue? The sims 3 is 100% software?

To the OP, I can't comment on sims 4 as we haven't got any information on it. But for sims 3 I would suggest running Windows 7 via bootcamp. It works so much better then.
    edited August 2013
    treelife wrote:
    @MadMan, um... with all due respect, how can it be a hardware issue? The sims 3 is 100% software?

To the OP, I can't comment on sims 4 as we haven't got any information on it. But for sims 3 I would suggest running Windows 7 via bootcamp. It works so much better then.
    The problem is about the OS (OS x or Windows) and drivers. So in a way I agree that it is about software :wink:

Anyway it is difficult for EA to solve all such compatibility problems.
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited August 2013
    How many threads do you have on this subject??? We get it you bought an Imac :roll:
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Xavi09Xavi09 Posts: 56
    edited August 2013
    2011simone wrote:
    How many threads do you have on this subject??? We get it you bought an Imac :roll:

If u DNT like the same subject on new threads why bother comment on it? I'm just trying to figure out what to do u don't have to be rude!
    edited August 2013
    MadMan5126 wrote:
    How do you even know TS4 won't work on mac? When TS3 first came out Mac wasn't as big as it is now. They can't fix that through a patch. Its a hardwear issue.

There won't be no way of telling until they tell us but I'm not going to get my hopes up I'm just returning my computer and I'm just going to have to be patient. I do hope the sims 4 is 100% good with macs u are right macs are popular now but the thing is I don't think EA cares.
    edited August 2013
    I don't know why you want to return your computer because it will probably run the Sims 4 just fine.

EA makes games for platforms where they sell well. Before the Sims 3 EA didn't want to make them for Mac at all and let Aspyr make them instead if Aspyr wanted to. But with Cider it probably became too easy for EA to make them too and the Mac had become a little more popular than earlier. So EA decided to make the Mac versions of Sims 3 and its expansions themselves. The same is the case with the Sims 4.

Still people usually don't choose Mac if games are their main interest. (Mac is usually chosen by people working with graphics or who are just big Apple fans because they like the iPhone, the iPod and/or the iPad.) So even though Apple has attempted to promote the Mac as a gaming computer too it has been hard for the game companies to sell enough copies of Mac games to make a profit.

Nearly all Mac games are still ported from Windows which makes it unattractive to buy a Mac for gaming. Sure you can play Windows games too through Boot Camp. But why should we buy a Mac computer just to play Windows games?
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    edited August 2013
    Macs were never intended on being a gaming computer... but that doesn't mean the sims 4 wont' run on it..
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
    edited August 2013
    Erpe wrote:
    I don't know why you want to return your computer because it will probably run the Sims 4 just fine.

EA makes games for platforms where they sell well. Before the Sims 3 EA didn't want to make them for Mac at all and let Aspyr make them instead if Aspyr wanted to. But with Cider it probably became too easy for EA to make them too and the Mac had become a little more popular than earlier. So EA decided to make the Mac versions of Sims 3 and its expansions themselves. The same is the case with the Sims 4.

Still people usually don't choose Mac if games are their main interest. (Mac is usually chosen by people working with graphics or who are just big Apple fans because they like the iPhone, the iPod and/or the iPad.) So even though Apple has attempted to promote the Mac as a gaming computer too it has been hard for the game companies to sell enough copies of Mac games to make a profit.

Nearly all Mac games are still ported from Windows which makes it unattractive to buy a Mac for gaming. Sure you can play Windows games too through Boot Camp. But why should we buy a Mac computer just to play Windows games?

What your saying may be true tht it may work fine with the macs the sims 4 but that wont come out till next year and I need a computer. but we all don't know anything about the sims 4 all we know is that the sims 4 creators said they are trying to get he ts4 to work for everyone so maybe they working on it for the macs too I do hope so but I can't keep this computer and risk the chance of it releasing and find out its not gonna work. Like I've told u a few times already I only have 15 days to return it back. and risking to keep it just to find out if it is likely to be compatible with macs with no issues is the most stupid thing anybody can do.we probably won't even know even when they reveal it at gamescom. Or will they? Idk but it sure will have many of us mac users minds In peace if we knew sooner. But anyways I would consider using boot camp on my imac but I'm so afraid of breaking the imac and I end up loosing all that money I spent :( and if I did decide to do it I have to invest in what 100 bucks or more for a stupid program that isn't even for macs? windows 7 or 8 look I'm not the smartest geekiest person when it comes to computers I wouldn't know the first thing to do most likely will mess the imac up I can't take that risk on my own. I've spent enough money on a computer it's best I get my money back and wait for the sims 4 to be reveled didnt they show us the specs of the sims 3 when it first was revealed? I hope they tell us everything for the sims 4 at gamescom I need to find out the specs so I can buy my computer now.
    edited August 2013
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    Macs were never intended on being a gaming computer...
    That is not really true. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_gaming :

"Repeatedly through the history of the Macintosh, Apple have attempted to market the platform for gaming.
    In April 1999, Steve Jobs gave an interview with the UK-based Arcade magazine to promote the PowerPC G3-based computers Apple were selling with then new ATI Rage 128 graphics cards, and describing how Apple was "trying to build the best gaming platform in the world so developers are attracted to write for it" and "trying to leapfrog the PC industry".[4]
    "

But the problem has always been that Mac only had about 10% of the market and that only relatively few Mac owners had any interest in buying big expensive games. So Apple's attempts to promote the Mac as a gaming computer have always failed. (Apple is still trying though.)
    edited August 2013
    I might end up boot camping the comped but I still have to return e computer back lol. Ill just buy a computer end of this month hopefully ill get the imac still if gamescome reveals the sims 4 requirements won't they? can some one answer that? Didnt they do that with the sims 3 they showed us the require the for the sims 3 before it was released?
    edited August 2013
    Xavi09 wrote:
    I might end up boot camping the comped but I still have to return e computer back lol. Ill just buy a computer end of this month hopefully ill get the imac still if gamescome reveals the sims 4 requirements won't they? can some one answer that? Didnt they do that with the sims 3 they showed us the require the for the sims 3 before it was released?
    Not really. The Sims 3 was announced in March 2008 and the specs were released in the middle of December 2008 when the game was still planned to be released in February 2009. But because the Mac version was planned to be released later they only released the minimum specs for Windows laptops and Windows stationary computers (for both Windows XP and Windows Vista) as you can see at http://www.videogamer.com/pc/the_sims_3/news/the_sims_3_system_requirements_revealed.html

The minimum specs for Sims 3 on Mac seem to have been released in the beginning of June 2009 just before the game also was released according to http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Sims-3-Requirements-for-Apple-Fans-113280.shtml

I don't think that EA actually knows the minimum specs yet because they have not even started testing the game on other types of hardware than their own.
    edited August 2013
    Erpe wrote:
    Xavi09 wrote:
    Not really. The Sims 3 was announced in March 2008 and the specs were released in the middle of December 2008 when the game was still planned to be released in February 2009. But because the Mac version was planned to be released later they only released the minimum specs for Windows laptops and Windows stationary computers (for both Windows XP and Windows Vista) as you can see at http://www.videogamer.com/pc/the_sims_3/news/the_sims_3_system_requirements_revealed.html

The minimum specs for Sims 3 on Mac seem to have been released in the beginning of June 2009 just before the game also was released according to http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Sims-3-Requirements-for-Apple-Fans-113280.shtml

I don't think that EA actually knows the minimum specs yet because they have not even started testing the game on other types of hardware than their own.

Thank you for that info it kind of helped me decide what to do. I think I want to keep it the imac ill bring the desktop to best buy geek squad so they can install boot camp and windows what ever on it...I know it will be pricey but....ima invest 200 now :/ I can't do this on my own. But one last question does the imac I bought use boot camp idk the guy at geek squad asked me if it did I wasn't sure I just told him I'm sure it does. and if anything sences ima go ahead and start playing sims 3 on boot camp soon idk if I should invest in a laptop when the sims 4 comes out or if the imac will work with it fine instead. But I will have a desktop now and a good gaming laptop next summer if needed.
    edited August 2013
    I think that you can use Boot Camp on all Intel based Macs. It doesn't work on a Power Mac (which I don't think that Apple makes anymore) because they didn't have an Intel processor.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited August 2013
    Xavi09 wrote:
    Erpe wrote:
    Xavi09 wrote:

Thank you for that info it kind of helped me decide what to do. I think I want to keep it the imac ill bring the desktop to best buy geek squad so they can install boot camp and windows what ever on it...I know it will be pricey but....ima invest 200 now :/ I can't do this on my own. But one last question does the imac I bought use boot camp idk the guy at geek squad asked me if it did I wasn't sure I just told him I'm sure it does. and if anything sences ima go ahead and start playing sims 3 on boot camp soon idk if I should invest in a laptop when the sims 4 comes out or if the imac will work with it fine instead. But I will have a desktop now and a good gaming laptop next summer if needed.

All of the Intel Mac's come preloaded with bootcamp, all you need is a copy of whatever Windows OS you are going to install and the bootcamp tool lets you split up your hard drive storage space.
  • EivindbroenEivindbroen Posts: 223 New Member
    edited August 2013
    We should expect The Sims 4 to run well on mac! It says that it's coming for mac and pc so I would expect it to work. It's so pathetic the fact that i can't properly run The Sims 3 on my mac because of errors after around 15 minutes of gameplay. There is no third party content on my ts3 game to blame it on. All ea created content! Don't they test the game on mac too?
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited August 2013
    the sims was made for windows based computers it was never really meant to run on a mac. apple shoul come up with its own version of a sims like game to run solely on that machine because face it! the sims have problems with macs I know I took a brand new imac pc back to apple because I could not install my sims 3 game and eps on it.. so it went back, and o bought a windows pc and it installed like a charm.
    edited August 2013
    I guess I'm getting windows 8 would it matter which one i use on my imac 27 inch ? The 1999 one.
  • QuinceOfClubsQuinceOfClubs Posts: 36 New Member
    edited August 2013
    the sims was made for windows based computers it was never really meant to run on a mac. apple shoul come up with its own version of a sims like game to run solely on that machine because face it! the sims have problems with macs I know I took a brand new imac pc back to apple because I could not install my sims 3 game and eps on it.. so it went back, and o bought a windows pc and it installed like a charm.

I'm sorry but no. Just no. Apple should not have to create something to keep Mac users satisfied. EA should.

I can't speak for myself, because my Mac has been performing wonderfully with Sims (Jinx me now), but it does seem like Mac users have a horrible time with TS3. And if the Sims 4 creates problems, EA has made a horrible marketing mistake.

I hope that they've realized the trouble so many Mac users have. Because they can't go down the Cider road again. I don't care if it takes longer as long as it means Sims 4 will run exactly like it will on Windows. (unless it would run better then Windows. :lol: Just kidding)

And, yeah. Sims 4 needs to be playable on Mac.
    edited August 2013
    We should expect The Sims 4 to run well on mac! It says that it's coming for mac and pc so I would expect it to work. It's so pathetic the fact that i can't properly run The Sims 3 on my mac because of errors after around 15 minutes of gameplay. There is no third party content on my ts3 game to blame it on. All ea created content! Don't they test the game on mac too?
    The problem is Cider which isn't made by EA. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_gaming :

"TransGaming Technologies has developed a product called Cider which is a popular method among publishers to port games to Mac[citation needed]. Cider's engine enables publishers and developers to target Mac OS X. It shares much of the same core technology as TransGaming's Linux Portability Engine, Cedega. Public reception of games ported with Cider is mixed, due to inconsistency of performance between titles; because of this, “Ciderized” games are neither seen as the work of cross-platform development, nor as native, optimized ports. Electronic Arts announced their return to the Mac, publishing various titles simultaneously on both Windows and Mac, using Cider.[8]"

Without Cider EA would probably not have made the Sims 3 for Mac at all but instead let Aspyr make the ports to Mac as they did with the Sims 2 and its EPs.
  • griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2013
    I have a 2009 imac and it runs the Sims okay. It really should run better considering my specs, but I'm able to play fine as long as I don't have Seasons installed. I'm holding out hope that they'll make a Mac version of the Sims 4 instead of bundling the two together, because clearly the problem is with cider (what they used to make what was essentially the PC version run on Mac) and not the game itself. It seems like EA has at least somewhat learned from their mistake because they are making a separate Mac version of Sim City (although it has taken them FOREVER and it still isn't out on the market....). I'd rather wait a few months and get a Mac-only version that will run smoothly than get something that doesn't run well at all on the same day the PC game is released.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2013
    Erpe wrote:
    treelife wrote:

The problem is about the OS (OS x or Windows) and drivers. So in a way I agree that it is about software :wink:

Anyway it is difficult for EA to solve all such compatibility problems.

It's not that hard -- all they have to do is have a Mac native version. They did that for SimCity when they found that the Cider emulator couldn't handle it.

For Sims 1 and Sims 2, they contracted with another game company, Aspyr, to code the game for Macs. We had to wait an extra 6 months before we got the EPs, and we never got the last two (FreeTime and Apartment Life) and most of the stuff packs, but the games were playable and enjoyable. But EA decided they didn't want to have to share the profits with anyone, and figured with Cider they didn't have to.

I'm not likely to get Sims 4 if there's not a Mac native version -- I had so many issues with Sims 3 on the Mac side that I installed a Windows partition with Boot Camp on my new iMac, and my Sims games run like a dream. I'd rather not have to keep booting into Windows though just to play a game.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2013
    Xavi09 wrote:
    I guess I'm getting windows 8 would it matter which one i use on my imac 27 inch ? The 1999 one.

I thought you meant the year, but I guess you were talking about the price. Depends how old it is -- I have Windows 7 on the iMac I got last year (my old one died the day before Pets came out, oddly enough). You might want to check the Apple website and make sure Boot Camp supports Windows 8, or if it only goes up to Win7. (I've heard some players reporting issues with Sims 3 and Win8 as well.)

Here's the best resource for Boot Camp questions:

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

And Bluebell Flora has a great tutorial on the forums: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/579888.page#9340628
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm hoping that Sims 4 works natively on Macs. That would solve a lot of issues.