We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics Poll: Realistic vs. Cartoony *NOW CLOSED. FINAL RESULTS POSTED*

Comments

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited August 2013
    Realistic... But one of the developers already said it's stylized realistic... Whatever that means and another developer said it'd be more 'cartoony' because supposedly they're cutting back on the graphics to focus on gameplay.. Who knows.

evolution_zps96d6a691.png
    p6tqefj
  • djacob16djacob16 Posts: 95 Member
    edited August 2013
    I liked the sims 3 look but I definitely don't want it to go back in graphics. So I will have to say more realistic.
  • SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    edited August 2013
    I like realistic look, but well not to realistic. But definitely not cartoon.
  • KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited August 2013
    alexandrea wrote:
    Realistic... But one of the developers already said it's stylized realistic... Whatever that means and another developer said it'd be more 'cartoony' because supposedly they're cutting back on the graphics to focus on gameplay.. Who knows.

Ugh. Am I the only one who thinks that, going from Sims 3 to 4, we are witnessing graphic devolution?
  • acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited August 2013
    I hope graphics doesn't really matter as long as it's fun to play. If they could make this game better in any way than all previous game, then the supposed downgrade in graphics would be forgivable. I just hope, though.
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2013
    I can appreciate that not everyone likes this kind of 'look' and that a lot of it is down to personal preference but honestly, The Sims have never had super realistic graphics in the first place so I'm struggling to get my head around why people are suddenly upset about it, we've never had it in the first place.

To me the TS3 Sim looks worse than the TS4 Sim because while the TS3 Sim suffered from dead eyes, poor expression and a pudding face the TS4 Sim in comparison, to me, looks like it is a much smoother and fluid model that unlike it's predecessors actually seems 'alive'. For these reasons I vastly prefer the TS4 Sim.

I do understand the feeling of disappointment in not liking the way a game looks, goodness knows I've felt that before but what I don't understand is the vast level of upset I am seeing from some people just because EA have decided to stick with the style that has been present since the second game. Had EA had the inclination to go more realistic would they not have implemented this in TS3? By this point they would have been fully capable to produce something very realistic looking but they didn't, they stuck to the stylized realism they used in TS2. Laziness on EA's part? Possibly, but either way that's what we ended up with. Can anyone honestly say that other than smoothing out the harsh angles that the TS3 Sims look any more realistic than the TS2 Sims?

Edit: Besides, doesn't the stylized realism actually leave more opportunities for CC?
  • ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited August 2013
    Realistic, cuz I'm a graphics junkie lol I like me some pretty scenery and simmies!!
  • LokendraLokendra Posts: 276 New Member
    edited August 2013
    cartooney and little bit realistic
  • JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited August 2013
    No need to panic yet... not that anybody is panicking lol but let's just all wait until Gamescom (August 20th) and see what they reveal to us graphics-wise.

I'm excited. :mrgreen:
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited August 2013
    Realistic anytime
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    edited August 2013
    alexandrea wrote:

Ugh. Am I the only one who thinks that, going from Sims 3 to 4, we are witnessing graphic devolution?

Maybe just a little bit.... I'm on the fence about this though because as Darkslayer noted The Sims 4 sim looks so alive in this picture like you can see this sim has quite an expression on her face as if she's wondering what the heck is going on lol :lol: compared to The Sims 2 and 3 sims and obviously The Sims 1 sims but I know I'll play this game if the graphics are stunning or worse than what we have in The Sims 3. The more I look at The Sims 4 pics we have so far the look of the sims is really starting to grow on me .. it's like a reinvented look of The Sims 2 sims and I always loved how The Sims 2 sims looked especially with custom content... :) But..It's all just a matter of waiting to see what they reveal to us at Gamescom now until then we'll never know.. :(
    p6tqefj
  • MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Darkslayer wrote:
    I can appreciate that not everyone likes this kind of 'look' and that a lot of it is down to personal preference but honestly, The Sims have never had super realistic graphics in the first place so I'm struggling to get my head around why people are suddenly upset about it, we've never had it in the first place.

To me the TS3 Sim looks worse than the TS4 Sim because while the TS3 Sim suffered from dead eyes, poor expression and a pudding face the TS4 Sim in comparison, to me, looks like it is a much smoother and fluid model that unlike it's predecessors actually seems 'alive'. For these reasons I vastly prefer the TS4 Sim.

I do understand the feeling of disappointment in not liking the way a game looks, goodness knows I've felt that before but what I don't understand is the vast level of upset I am seeing from some people just because EA have decided to stick with the style that has been present since the second game. Had EA had the inclination to go more realistic would they not have implemented this in TS3? By this point they would have been fully capable to produce something very realistic looking but they didn't, they stuck to the stylized realism they used in TS2. Laziness on EA's part? Possibly, but either way that's what we ended up with. Can anyone honestly say that other than smoothing out the harsh angles that the TS3 Sims look any more realistic than the TS2 Sims?

Edit: Besides, doesn't the stylized realism actually leave more opportunities for CC?

^^^ This!

I don't understand eather, TS3 sims just are horrible, they show no emotion, I like where TS4 is going, even though I hope they added a little more detail since that gave us thoes pics, but Some of the interactions would be so strange if it was realistic, like Peeing thierselfs, streaking. No, it just wouldn't seem right. But it doesn't matter, were getting stylized realism and im happy with it :mrgreen:
  • WysockiWysocki Posts: 34
    edited August 2013

evolution_zps96d6a691.png[/quote]

In my opinion the real issue here is not how the sim from The Sims 4 look but the horrible texture. I mean the hair just looks horrible. And the eyebrows don't seem to have any relief (is that the right word in english?) so it looks wierd.
    edited August 2013
    Wysocki wrote:

@Wysocki Yup that's the right word in English but no ones judging :) And ya you could argue that the texture does look pretty ...interesting and different I will agree with that but I wouldn't say horrible ... For some reason I like the look of the texture and I can't get over the expression on the sims face in The Sims 4 like Darkslayer said the sim looks alive.
    p6tqefj
  • Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited August 2013
    I find it amusing how people are able to judge graphics of a game based on cropped picture of the eyes of a concept art. Can't we just wait for the Gamescom?

tumblr_mqajl30Msg1qmvcpno1_1280.png
  • MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    edited August 2013
    *Facepalm*

This isn't the final product, Everyone keeps thinking it is but it isn't, lol
    edited August 2013
    MadMan5126 wrote:
    *Facepalm*

Very own words from yourself : ^^^ This!

I don't understand eather, TS3 sims just are horrible, they show no emotion, I like where TS4 is going, even though I hope they added a little more detail since that gave us thoes pics, but Some of the interactions would be so strange if it was realistic, like Peeing thierselfs, streaking. No, it just wouldn't seem right. But it doesn't matter, were getting stylized realism and im happy with it

Everyone's excited and just pondering what the sims might look like I'm waiting 4 the Gamescom event to see it all. :)
    p6tqefj
    edited August 2013
    MadMan5126 wrote:
    *Facepalm*

not that I don't hope you're right...but has anyone from TS4 said that?

This was one of the TS3 pre-release teaser pix...and that's pretty much how they ended up looking.

Sims3.png"width=600"

This is another one, though I think this sim actually looks better than what we got! lol
    the-sims-3-08.jpg"width=600"
  • Nigerian373Nigerian373 Posts: 673 Member
    edited August 2013
    CARTOONY ALL THE WAY!

This thread was a great idea, by the way--very helpful for the devs, I can imagine.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,964 Member
    edited August 2013
    I would go for cartoon, looking at the type of game Sims is. To see those wonderful graphics you will have to get real close and not everybody's computers will be able draw such characters.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,371 Member
    edited August 2013

Well, from what you've shown, I do not want the top ones, for sure. That's just too much for this game, as far as I'm concerned.

The first one called stylized cartoony is along the lines of okay with me, but not the lower ones, they are way too cartoony.

So for this purpose, I'd pick the red head. But in fact and RL, I'd want something a little less cartoony then her, but not like the ones above her.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • misgavmisgav Posts: 249 New Member
    edited August 2013
    CARTOONY (STYLIZED) :thumbup:
    edited August 2013
    I think it's interesting how close the votes are actually! Cartoony is winning, but only by a handful
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited August 2013
    Let me help, Cartoony Cartoony.
    jr73Y.gif

• Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited August 2013
    I want realistic, but not as realistic as those pics. So basically realistic with a few hints that it's fake.