Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Populate a Graveyard With Actual Ghosts

SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
I don't know how to use Create A World. I admire those that have learned and have the creative juices to create a whole world from scratch. I have downloaded several worlds from the exchange and have been extremely grateful to the creators of those worlds that I have had hours of fun with.

I particularly like the Gothic Worlds created by Quailhogs. In a blog post he mentioned once that it wasn't possible to put actual ghosts in the graveyard using CAW. I was wondering why that was. If you can put families in worlds why not ghosts?

This may only be possible to do using edit town after the world has been downloaded from the exchange. I don't know. But world builders have some way to add houses with families. I have downloaded them. So I was just wondering why.

My Way to Add Real Ghosts to the Cemetery using Edit Town.

1) Start a New game with the world you want to play with and do an Edit Town.
2) Replace the cemetery in the town with a cemetery that has "real" tombstones in it.

How Do I get the "real" tombstones in the Cemetery?

The short answer is to save the cemetery with "real" tombstones to the bin.
I was playing with Quailhogs' Grey Meadow Island world. For any of you who are unfamiliar it is a very gothic world full of ghosts and vampires. But the graveyards were empty of any real ghosts. I wanted the ghosts.

You can use any technique you want for creating the ghosts. Play the game and kill as many sims as you can or use MC or some other mod to create the ghosts by killing sims. In my case I collected the already existing ghosts from the graveyards of Sunset Valley and Riverview using the Manage Cemetery option at the tomb. Whether you play the game or use mods the goal is to get a collection of ghosts you want in your graveyard and collect them all in one sim's inventory. With all the tombstone's collected in your sim's inventory save the sim to the bin. Then do an edit town on the graveyard you want to add the tombstones to. Change the lot type to residential. This will cause the tomb to get deleted so you will have to add the tomb back later. Move your Sim with tombstones into your "residential" cemetery. Add the tombstones to the cemetery in any artistic/creative fashion you choose. Move the sim out. Edit Town. Change the lot type of the graveyard back to graveyard. Edit the lot and put the tomb back. Now you have the cemetery with "real" tombstones save it to the bin. Start a new game. Edit town. Replace the cemetery with the cemetery from your bin.

In fact, if world creators are sufficiently motivated to create "real" graveyards for their worlds and the graveyard with "real" graves cannot be placed using CAW they could always offer their cemetery with "real" tombstones as a separate lot on the exchange to be added in by the user.

Just an idea or wish of mine.
Origin ID: Barbara917

Comments

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't know if this gets ghosts or not, but if you age an elderly person using trigger age, the grim reaper will come and they will die. Then an urn appears, one of the people in the home takes the urn. Then they can put it in the cemetery.
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited July 2013
    From the sims wiki...which is why folks probably don't add populated graveyards:
    So a save file it is :D
    A Warning about Ghosts & Mummies

Ghosts and Mummies added in Edit-In-Game lose some of their essential data during saving, specifically the data from when they were normal Sims. Hence Ghosts and Mummies always become hopelessly corrupted. Likewise, urns containing dead Sims are stripped of their Ghosts, and will present simply as "Remains" objects. Players seeking to incorporate Ghosts and occult Sims into their worlds must offer these Sims in a shared save file - there is no other way. Vampires and Simbots can both be added safely, thankfully.

Source:
    well I tried to put the source in here but it keeps giving me smiling faces and weird junk :shock:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2013
    The source is known as Tea and Blues here and as Kiwi Tea at mod the sims who is basically the father of us being able to populate user created worlds period. No one knows more about populating than Kiwi Tea and Simsample. So I assure you their answers are the only answers possible.

I generally make a graveyard in my game and either add sims as they die or download dead sims from EA's cemetaries and add them to my cemetery if I want ghosts, then I save my cemetery to my bin. I have never shared a ghost filled cemetery though so I cannot attest to the way I do it, but I will take and install one of my cemetaries in Quailhogs worlds with all it's EA famous dead and then move them to his cematary - then remove mine from the world. But I understand you can take any save file in a bin and share it if you wanted to so you could offer the cemetery lot with ghosts as a separate download if people want to exchange out the empty cemetery with a filled one. But you absolutely cannot port in the ghost as they will be very corrupted and will constantly corrupt your game. I know I have seen it when Kiwi Tea had his first world up that had both mummies and ghosts ported in. The game becomes unplayable quickly.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited July 2013
    I don't why the link would not work this morning. I tried to link it because there is other useful info on this subject. I also was not trying to say that the source was not reputable. Sorry if I offended you,Writin_Reg. I personally kill off a few sims to populate my graveyards. I just look at it as one of the things I need to do when I start a new world. But it has never bothered me that they were not populated. I figure a sim will die off sooner or later.
    edited July 2013
    Oh goodness SikoahGrace I definitely was not offended - I was just giving the name the source came from seeing I know both Kiwi Tea and Simsample fairly well. Did not mean to sound offended. In fact I was happy you went and found the link. I did not go there but I have been there many times before when Kiwi was getting it all together and such. Honestly no problem here at all. I think I sometimes come off differently than I intend. Sorry if it stressed you at all. Was just trying to help.

I cannot kill sims - I have no clue why as my head says they are just pixels, but I just can't do it - in fact I even feel sorry for the ghosts and tend to bring them back if they died before elder state anyway. hehehe So I don't get natural ghosts easily and why I learned to just take and use those already in the eps. There are a wealth of good dead sims in Twinbrooks alone that I don't mind using as ghosts.

I just want to thank you for helping _ I should have explained myself better. Again real sorry if it made you think I was a bit miffed - as I was not at all. I see you often as a very helpful simmer on these boards and very much appreciate the way you try and help others - believe me. I don't think you are thanked enough if anything.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Kerim99Kerim99 Posts: 289 Member
    edited July 2013
    There is a way to populate graveyards without save game...(in EIG Modus)

First, you need DebugEnabler and and a tombstone (how big it is doesn't matter)
    Anyway...

It doesn't need to be at a graveyard...it can be added in every residental or community lot...

You just need to do this here:
    - Click on the tombstone
    - Choose NRaas from the menu
    - Choose Debug: DeathWorbuilder or something similar
    - Finally, choose a death type (ex. drowned or meteor...)

It doesn't kill your sim...it just marks it as "indead"...
    I mean the sim isn't actually dead, if so it wouldn't work...

Ingame, the sim appears dead and it's death type... The dead sim is also "resurrectable" like other sims 3 ghosts...

That's the secret of populating graveyards...
    As said, the "dead" sims in EIG aren't acutally dead...

Hope you can follow it, if not...I'm going to write a picture-tutorial about it
    I tested it and it worked perfectly like how it should :-)
    edited July 2013
    Kerim - Well it will still corrupt the game - besides most CAW creators don't use mods as the game does not install properly if you have mods and CC in it since Uni - so besides still being corrupting to the game - using that pretty much makes your world uninstallable in the proper manner - both something most creators are not real interested in. I suppose if someone is making a world just for themselves and don't mind the corrupted files and don't care much about long term play in a world it would be okay. At least you are trying anyway. It is too bad the game gets worse and worse as far as using mods and CC goes, but the launcher has next to no tolerance nowadays with mods and CC - so it gets the creator first time trying to post the world and then it gets the users trying to download and install the world providing the creator gets it uploaded.

I suggest you make a brand new world with all eps, sps and store content and updates and try your method and you will see what I mean. Even changing the world into a .world file does not help and in fact created lots of problems since Uni and IP as well. But anyway I will not advice anyone to port in ghost because it has been tested and retested by the fellows that devised the ported in method of populating and the corrupting factor remains.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    Killing sims in EIG without the method above (with DebugEnabler) causes unpleasant issues... (disappearing, invisible sims etc.)

And the dead sim in EIG will be deleted if you export it...unfortunately the sim won't be properly deleted...there're remaining character datas in the world...

Anyway...

Regards
    Kerim99 :-)
    edited July 2013
    Writin Reg,

I didn't tested it after Supernatural came out...My last test was (I think) between Diesel Sp and Supernatural... anyway... it didn't corrupt the hood...
    I was able to play in the world... no lag, no frozen sims or whatever...

But maybe as you said... it could be outdated yet
    I give it a try tomorrow...

Regards
    Kerim99 :-)
    edited July 2013
    Anyway...

I wish someday... EA allows us to place and create families directly in EIG and this without any mods or hacks

Populating graveyards would be also nice but I don't think EA is going to do it...
    It would just take time and outlay...

• Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited July 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Kerim - Well it will still corrupt the game - besides most CAW creators don't use mods as the game does not install properly if you have mods and CC in it since Uni - so besides still being corrupting to the game - using that pretty much makes your world uninstallable in the proper manner - both something most creators are not real interested in. I suppose if someone is making a world just for themselves and don't mind the corrupted files and don't care much about long term play in a world it would be okay. At least you are trying anyway. It is too bad the game gets worse and worse as far as using mods and CC goes, but the launcher has next to no tolerance nowadays with mods and CC - so it gets the creator first time trying to post the world and then it gets the users trying to download and install the world providing the creator gets it uploaded.

I suggest you make a brand new world with all eps, sps and store content and updates and try your method and you will see what I mean. Even changing the world into a .world file does not help and in fact created lots of problems since Uni and IP as well. But anyway I will not advice anyone to port in ghost because it has been tested and retested by the fellows that devised the ported in method of populating and the corrupting factor remains.

Oh no, I didn't know about the problem since Uni as I didn't buy it (not sure if I will, it just didn't interest me). I was mod free, then as I really wanted to play Island Paradise and got sick of the freezing, I did reinstall Overwatch. Do you think my Worlds in my CAW are now corrupted Reg? I have only had the mods in for 3 days but have been CAWing since.... :oops:
  • CathrynMCCathrynMC Posts: 24 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Create the 'ghosts' you want in 'Create a Sim' - - But them into your Sims-Bin - - Use Twallan's Porter to add them into the graveyard - - done.

I populated a haunted house this way. It worked. The ghost was 'living' there, even though it was a community lot. Plus, I was actually able to upload the lot and the ghost stayed there.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited July 2013
    No worries, Writin_Reg! I wasn't upset at all. :D (Sorry such a late response. I worked late last night and was exhausted when I got home so I went to bed. lol)

This is a great thread.I tend to not add the ghosts at all until my worlds are in game. And I don't even upload/share them :wink:

Kerim99, as mentioned before I would be careful. I would hate to see your world corrupted because of this.

edited July 2013
    I tested it today with the latest patch and Island Paradise and the method I mentioned above still works!

evidence screen...
    screenshot2jmwp0a4v3.jpg

It worked and they're linked to their grave stones and it's death type...
    They all are also resurrectable

Anyway... I was playing in the world and there was no lag, no frozen sims or stucking sims... also no invisible sims...
    So, it doesn't corrupt your hood unless you populate a lot of ghosts in graveyards...
    also the same... if you populate too much premade families in a world

Ghosts can go through objects/sims or whatever, so there shouldn't be any lags caused by ghosts...
    edited July 2013
    I don't think that's Writin_Reg was saying...and please,Writin_Reg, correct me if I am very wrong here :wink: ...is that after extended play in a world importing ghosts could cause problems. It wasn't that the method didn't work. Which it apparently does, it's that the ghost are or become corrupted. They may even work for you in your game but if I download your world with ghosts populated by this method it will most likely cause my saved game to become corrupt.

At least that was what I understood her to say.
    edited July 2013
    Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Kerim - well on the surface it also looked like the mummies and ghost Kiwi Tea had in his very popular world worked fine too, but eventually the games would corrupt and as a modder - he found the issue that created the corruption in the hood was the ghosts and the mummies. I tested his world and of course it looked fine. I even played his world a good two months after the final before the world became unplayable. When I actually play a world I am talking about playing everyday for about 4-6 hours a play session over a 4-6 weeks period of playing in a world. I do mean playing, not building houses and not making sims - just strictly playing. It never failed the world corrupted. We compaired the world with itself with the only thing missing from the world was the ghosts and mummies - and the version without the ported in mummies and ghost never corrupted. There was a good 8-10 of us from this site and another half dozen or more simmers from mod the sims testing out the theory when it first came about and ALL got the same conclusion. Plus it shows in the programming that the ghost and mummies eventually become disconnected from their complete files and the files start breaking down. I am assuming you can read programming of course in order to support what you are saying. Keep playing and keep checking the programming files and you will see it will indeed break down - in particularly you do need to upliad and then download your own world as we users have to do it. As it is suspected the problem is at least partly due to the install process - the same problem that created the spiral staircase and the shifting of some doors (like in EA shells), the supernatural hidden doorway, some fencing, and even terrain paints that shift off to the right or left when a lot is first uploaded then downloaded. You cannot test this issue if you have not uploaded your testing item, and then downloaded it just as users have to do to have a lot or world in their games. Only half the problem is created by the mods - the other half is created by the download and install process.

This is also part of the reason EA misses so many bugs in the game I almost guarantee it because they do not install and download their worlds like we do when testing them right off of the bat.

Sneakfeline - It is hard to say if the mods will create a problem or not. Error trap will, as will awesomemod, and possibly MC, register, and possibly Twallans SP - as far as I have heard. As I don't use mods myself very often and have not tested them myself I really cannot say for sure. But you have to consider mods change game play and anyone without those same mods are liable to have an issue. it is sort of like have a save for a world and then the creator updates the world but not the save - the old save will not generally work in the updated world because the gameplay scripts are different and are greyed out. Well mods change the game scripts and make them do things they are not programmed to do - so if a person does not have those same mods the script is not going to match, and there in lies a problem.

When I test a world I can even sometimes see a creator had the gentler mods like overwatch in their game because the creator missed problems in their own world because Overwatch prevented them from having the issues that existed in the world. That does not necessarily corrupt the game - but it can make it difficult for a creator to see issues in their own creations at times - and things that they should not have missed had they not had overwatch in their game. I call it a mild mod because I know I can install a world where the creator had overwatch in their own game when they created the world - but I see problems in their world they should not have missed seeing I might get lag from the same spot overwatch kept the creators sims from seeing a problem at with it's rather zealous unstick scripting. Or like the gardening issues that overwatch prevents from happening - I might end up with a community garden of unpickable plants because I don't have overwatch that changed the script to do with gardening. Granted I just need to delete all the plants and replace them in buydebug or sometimes just reset the lot works, but why should I have to do that that to start with? Sort of unfair that I have to do that everytime I restart the world.

I will tell you most people take a long time finding issues in worlds they download because they may not use every lot like a tester will - and that is provided you have testers like me who test every lot - not all testers do. Some just test a game by playing it normally. I test a game every lot at a time - every walk way at a time and every road and every subway and every bit of routable land and water - so I see a lot more than many players see in months of playing a world. I only know perhaps 4 other testers who test just like me and three of those I generally work with on some world (like Rflongs) and it is why there is seldom an issue in Rflongs worlds. Also two of those testers use mods themselves. But anyway - it does depend on what mods you are using as to if they can actually create a corruption kind of issue. As I said the issues are mainly seen by the non -mod user. it is like compairing a world that has been updated with issues fixed to playing a world that is not updated with problems not fixed - seeing the mods generally fix game issues.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    I'm sure it won't cause any corruption...

The sim isn't dead in EIG...
    The sim is only dead ingame...
    If I would open the world again in EIG, the sim would be "alive"... :)

edited July 2013
    And since Supernatural...
    Ghosts doesn't lose their urns/gravestones

I saw also a mummy in auntielynds's Wild West World and there were no hood corruptions... invisible sims...stucking sims...disappearing sims or whatever... It worked just fine without lag and I enjoyed playing there...

I don't know if you played a world with populated graveyards... I played one and this without any routing or lag issues...
    Ghosts can go through objects/sims... that's why they won't cause any routing issues...
    edited July 2013
    Actually according to Auntie Lynds herself her Wild West world has been a nightmare and she has had to take it down several times and rework it. So that is not a very good example other than your mods are making it playable for you. Does not help non-mod users.

When I speak of corruption - I am not speaking of routing issues. A corrupted game will crash or freeze and not unfreeze. Eventually it will not even load. You may get error codes when trying to save and have to use a "save as" and constantly rename it to even continue play in it for a while until it plays no longer and either the game itself will list the game save as .bad so you can't load it anymore or it just refuses to play within minutes of loading by freezing permanently. THAT is a corrupted game. Routing is a whole different issue.

I test worlds Kerim a lot more than I get to play them long term but one thing I do know if the founders of the ported in method tell us that using ghosts and mummies will corrupt the game - I am going to be listening to them - seeing I worked one on one testing with them and all instances of porting in ghosts and mummies resulted in corruption - all of them. So think what you want - I will not download a world that has ported in ghosts. I know better.

When Kiwi Tea and Simsample say they have found a solution to the issue - then I will be happy to put that info out there and accept those worlds - but not until they say it.

ETA What I can suggest is you go over to modthesims and show them your method and see what they tell you - as perhaps you do have a solution they somehow missed - but keep in mind I played Riverblossom Hills for months when we were testing it for Kiwi Tea and just as your ghosts showed fine - so did his appear to be fine - for a good long time - but eventually we developed issues in the world and when they checked and double checked it always came back to the ghosts and mummies were responsible for the corruption. It did not even matter if one used mods or not. Corruption rarely happens immediately - usually it takes weeks. Personally I don't want to play a world for weeks and then have it corrupt so it becomes unplayable seeing when I do play I play legacy style and like worlds that last - not that falls to pieces by my third or 4th generation.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2013
    Writin_Reg, Did Kiwi Tea fix RH after discovering the problem? I played that world for a while, and loved it, but not long enough to have problems. I had since lost those world files and I have redownloaded what I believe was the latest version of it, but haven't played it yet.
    edited July 2013
    Yes it has been fixed a long time now.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2013
    ok. Thanks! :)