Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

AL MEDINA, MOROCCO-- IP Resort Finished!!! Download link included on 1st pg

Comments

• Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited July 2013
    O.k. So yeah... everytime I even put a sim into the Berber village, the game automatically crashes. The entire rest of the world runs like nothing I've seen. Seriously, it runs better than a New Game of Sunset Valley. So I have no idea what the problem is...

Nevertheless, I applaud all of you!!! This is just so spectacular! Seriously, I've never seen SO much detail in a world This is just crazy. The fact that it is so detailed yet runs so well completely baffles me! That takes a special kind of talent. I've been a bit busy today, so I haven't gotten THAT much done.

Some problems I've come across;

I came across the school problem too and fixed it.
    There is a problem with the Equestrian Rabbithole as well, and you cannot fix that without CAW. The equestrian rabbithole is wierd because you have to have more room in front of it than any other lot since horses have to get in and out.

Also, just a creative criticism; I think you should tuck the equestrian, criminal, and movie studio rabbit holes into the mountains and put a few beautiful mansions in that lovely cliff. Just a suggestion.

I also found a few problems in the red kabbah tomb. More detail on that later.
  • Options
    aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited July 2013
    I have the same notes as Niac :) more or less! I like his idea about moving the rabbit holes to a less awesome location. On a whole I had no trouble getting to all of the public lots except for the Ksar and the rabbitholes that have been mentioned.

I also had trouble with the Red Kasbah. I did not explore the other tombs... I love the museum so much! I read it all. Just awesome. Had lunch twice at Rick's with a dashing bartender and suave young lady playing the piano!! So cool. And put my Frida in the Water house (Reach -- so beautiful, I couldn't stop snapping pictures of Frida there !) and had her hang out at the garden on the same block. Just unbelievably beautiful.

Zach, I thought you'd be interested to know routing between the French Quarter and the Berber village prompted the use of a boat! I agree with your sentiments about the highway. It is very beautiful and I like that they have to drive over it.

I managed to get into the Berber village and was hanging out at the Hammam (!!! wow!!!) My Sim was super happy there. Routed the nearby market fine and I was looking around it, no problem. I got my camera at the back of the Berber village near the base of the mountain with no problem until I focused on the back edge of the Ksar. Whether it is my camera there or my Sim (and no camera) I consistently get crashes right there. Before the crash I got a good gander at the terrain and it looked quite a bit warped.

Zach, I'm sending you a picture of a small routing issue in the French quarter with an idea for routing paint. I didn't get much play time in many of the private lots, but in the apartments next to the train station I had a very weird thing happen where, after descending the stairs from the top apartment, the "floors" grayed out and I couldn't click back up to the top floor. It fixed itself when my Sim automatically prompted to eat from the fridge. I've never had that happen before, don't know what it was about, but I just thought I'd mention it.

There is so much I could say... :) I agree with Niac it plays really really smooth! I put Overwatch and Error Trap back in and I got very few errors. The only two unroutable Sims I've had were from the lack of space between the trash can and the (off-lot) fence at the Water House, and a horse got stuck in that beautiful Garden on the same block. But that was it! Really impressive.

I have some non-critical details notes but I'll save that for an email when I get my thoughts together more. Thank you so much for letting me test this. It got stormy towards the end of my last play session and it was so dramatically beautiful. Wild horses at the oasis in the rain... so cool.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    O.k. Now I have a lot more to say. First of all, the mining camp hidden lot in the middle of the desert... nice touch! But really there were SO many problems with routing, you wouldn't believe it. I can't even recollect it all. But going down the stairs, and going back up. It's hardly feasible. And the door going from the stairs room (which is so stunning btw) just doesn't work. I just can't make it work. I ended up deleting the walls. I would suggest just going through it, because I ended up having to use teleport to get back to the surface. And creatively with that lot. I'd suggest turning it into a vast tomb instead.

Next, routing errors. I tried to get my sim to go to that hidden lot from the red kabbah, and it just wouldn't work. I have no idea why. I had to slowly direct him through, I'd think it's worth checking out.

Next, I simply love the Majorelle Garden. Stunning, colorful. My sim's weddings will be there! I couldn't help but want more of that lush tropical feel to it. Let us not forget that this town is a costal town. I don't think it needs to be all desert. The way that Al Simhara has Grass and plenty of trees along the riverbanks, I think that should be mimicked on the beaches and shallow shores of Al Medina. It would add something more to the world. And also, if you were to follow up with my suggestion to turn the industrial-esque area into stellar mansions, I would also use that idea of a lush tropical paradise with grass and everything there.

Lastly, I don't like the City Hall Rabbithole. It doesn't fit. I think you would do well to bury it and have fun with Moroccan architecture above. You don't even have to fill it, just a shell, it would really look fantastic! :D

Small things, but I really think if you were to follow through, it would improve the Ambiance of the world.
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited July 2013
    I have to say thanks so much to Aminovas and Niac for your generous gift of time and the help with testing. It's much better to have testers involved who have not been intimately involved in the building processes.

Aminovas, I'm not sure if Zach fixed the spiral stairs yet in the Waterhouse. They were a mess the last time I looked but Zach said he's waiting to fix them until the end of testing because of "slippage" with the stairs when exporting. For myself, I just replace the lot with my own copy because the stairs work on my lot but I'm not sure about the exported world. I used four sets and last time I looked, there were only two.

I hope you guys enjoy your visit to Al Medina and again, I sure appreciate your gift of time and dedication to helping see this world to the finish line. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited July 2013
    Thank you both so much for the info you've given us! I'll try and cover everything you've addressed right now:

-Good to know that the crashing has to do with something near the Ksar... maybe reinstalling that lot might do something

-Thank you for those compliments on the detail and function of the world!

-Thank you also for informing me of the problems at the equestrian center.

-Hmm I would also like to see some big white Casablanca-style mansions in that area along the cliffs. The thing is that those ugly rabbitholes need to stay out of sight. I wonder if I could bury the criminal lot under the nectary to give that place a more illicit look. I'm not sure if that might cause routing errors though. The movie studio might be able to go somewhere outside the Berber village. I know that Ouarzazate has a very large movie studio near it. Plus, if it's too obtrusive, I can bury the movie studio and decorate that lot with sets and movie trailers. The only problem I think I'll have is with the Equestrian center. It's probably the ugliest and largest of rabbitholes, and it can't be buried. I have to think carefully about where I would want to tuck it away.

-I've tested the Red Kasbah tomb three times, and I think I'm aware of a routing error in it, in which a corner rubble pile is placed through a secret door. Other than that, it should work perfectly.

-Glad that you're still discovering stuff inside the world, and that it's still entertaining you!

-I don't mind a boat being used! It sounds very romantic. Plus, I think that we'll add a port in the foreign quarter for those who use IP. It'll have to come separately though.

-Geez these berber village crashes must be frustrating! Possibly the most interesting part of the world is the most off limits so far!

-Thank you for sending me those pictures aminovas, I'll look at them in a few moments.

-I'd love to see how it looks like with rain. I know that at dusk, the world is probably at its most beautiful. Every day that passes in my test game, I pause and look at the bridge from the coast.

-The Excavation site in the desert is a work in progress still. The reason that work was paused on it was because an IP issue caused it to flood with sea water. It'll be a quasi-tomb, but most importantly, it has to be accessible for inventors that need to use the scrap piles.

-I'll look into that problem with the red kasbah. It could be that I haven't rebuilt the routing data recently.

-Glad you like the Majorelle Garden! xsorcier worked really hard on it. My sims had their wedding under the yellow arch there, and it definitely was entertaining.

-As far as climate goes, I'm kinda happy with its current desert feel. In some areas, I'm willing to budge by making it Mediterranean, with olive trees, rocky soil, and dry grass. Especially when we add the heat wave effect, it'll look appropriate.

-If we change the cliff lots, then we should move each rabbithole one by one. Would you want to help by building those lots? Mansions are a lot of work. Stylistically, I'm interested to see whether they'd look good in a haute, modern style, or with the same "clean laundry feel" of the rest of the foreign quarter.

-I used to be more opposed to burying rabbitholes, but by now I'm more willing to do it. One of my next efforts will be to do that with the City Hall. Thank you for that suggestion!

-My version of the Waterhouse is the same as in your version. I can't remember why, but I do remember having to change some stuff in order to fit the stairs. If you have a fixed version, reach, then go ahead and email it to me if you can.

WHEW!

Thank you all so much for your time and for your attention to this world!

If we do a Youtube trailer for advertising this world, then I'll make sure that you all go in the credits. (That's the LEAST I can do)

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah! I'd be happy to help with building a couple rabbithole lots, and/or cliffside mansions!

If you need help with hiding the equestrian rabbithole, I'd suggest you look at Grey Meadow by Quailhogs. He beautifully hides the rabbithole into a mountain. Remember; it doesn't necessarily have to be attached to a road!

For the studio lot that has a buried rabbithole, I'd suggest putting it behind the hospital rabbithole and flattening out that terrain.

Oh! And definitely do a trailer! It could get featured on SimsVIP or something.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Zach_Bundy wrote:

-I'd love to see how it looks like with rain. I know that at dusk, the world is probably at its most beautiful. Every day that passes in my test game, I pause and look at the bridge from the coast.

-The Excavation site in the desert is a work in progress still. The reason that work was paused on it was because an IP issue caused it to flood with sea water. It'll be a quasi-tomb, but most importantly, it has to be accessible for inventors that need to use the scrap piles.

I'll send you a picture of the rain! And snow... whatever you like!
    I'm not sure about adding too many olive trees... I'd be very select about that. Honestly, when I was noticing how smooth everything was running I kind of suspected it might have something to do with lack of trees... And it looks SO COOL as this barren desert. It makes the garden/oasis with trees so much more special.

Zach, I think with replacing the ksar, I would make sure you completely delete the empty lot space too in CAW, not just reinstalling the saved lot, and smooth the terrain in CAW before drawing the lot space in again... Probably this is what you meant by reinstalling, but I just wanted to make sure! And I have quite a lot of trouble with wayward junk spawners in my own game so maybe a clean world file would help too... especially if that lot has been replaced a couple of times. I just am imagining junk spawning at odd elevations in that lot, in seawater. Just my amateur thoughts on what I'd do...

Also, I'm sending on a pic of where I would strongly recommend adding some empty lots along the waters edge for so that people can add docks/beaches, even if they don't have IP. Just to help with routing stability for those that want to use the water's edge.

Regarding the water house, I didn't even notice a problem! It may be really obvious to me when I go back in. It looked fine :shock: But I didn't have my sim sleep/go upstairs in that house yet! Just had her relish in the beauty of the downstairs...

I think Niac's idea regarding the equestrian rabbit hole is really intriguing and I'm going to have to check out Grey Meadow. Thumbs up on trailer idea. Thumbs up on buried film set idea. Personally I think it would look great semi-hidden in the dunes. You could even pick a famous film scene to recreate... Lawrence of Arabia? :)

edit to add: if you need help with any of this lot conversions I'd be happy to help
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mmkay in that case I'll give you guys your first lot assignments!

Aminovas, whenever you finish testing, start on one of the lots in the nouveau riche area. Make sure that reach isn't doing the same one that you'll be doing.

Niac, go ahead and delete the equestrian center and build on that lot.

I'll work on doing these updates and either today or tomorrow, you guys should have a new beta.
  • Options
    RukayaRukaya Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited July 2013
    Lots of new ideas. this is exciting to check in every day. A video that would be fun too. :thumbup:
    Niac thank you so much for the friend request. I am quite shy so have trouble requesting friends status. :)
    Have a good day everybody.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Zach_Bundy wrote:
    Mmkay in that case I'll give you guys your first lot assignments!

Aminovas, whenever you finish testing, start on one of the lots in the nouveau riche area. Make sure that reach isn't doing the same one that you'll be doing.

Niac, go ahead and delete the equestrian center and build on that lot.

I'll work on doing these updates and either today or tomorrow, you guys should have a new beta.

I've started, stop me if you don't like where this is going.

Screenshot-48_zpsdb2c0960.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Niac, that was fast !! :) looks so great!!

I'd be honored to help build. Reach, any tips on where? (Just to be clear... Nouveau Riche area is the paved area by the school with the Water House or the dirt road area with the Underground Architect's house?) And, I forgot to say in my last post the pleasure is all mine doing this testing.. it is so enjoyable and it would take months of play (at least, the way I play) to exhaust the amount of interesting places to dwell in and explore in this world.

Also, I'm in the Water House right now and as per my first impression I am not having any trouble with it at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Niac that is beautiful and original! You're doing perfectly, don't stop!

Aminovas, the nouveau riche is the one with the underground architect. If reach doesn't get back with us to determine if she is building anything there ( I should keep a list), then you can do a Berber village house. Choose one that is next to the Hammam, if that is the case.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    OK, I am ready to start so I'll go ahead with a house next to the Hammam :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    How would you feel about a hostel in the Berber village? It might be nice to have a second home base option for travelers. I also saw this link as I was looking for pictures of Morocco... a desert camp sunken into the ground
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The consignment store has kind of a secret hostel inside, if you haven't seen it yet.

Do you mean out front of the walls or inside? Also we have to see how having two base camps would react with the world.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ah yes, I have seen the consignment store, super cool...! I hadn't thought about how designating it as a second "base camp" would affect the world...
    I'll just build a house :)
    per the buried camp if you've seen the pictures it would be outside the walls... just an idea! You've already got so much going on though... I just spotted your tomb/maze out in the desert.. I keep seeing things I have missed
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hi guys! I'm not building in the nouveau riche area at the moment and there are only two lots left to do there but it would be nice to have one person do both of them so there is continuity with the rest of the area. Aminovas, it's the area around Rick's Cafe Americain. Have fun with it. I was hoping we could provide some empty shells there because building on the cliffs can be intimidating for some players.

I've been swamped with real life stuff, including yard work so I've not had a lot of free time. Currently, I have to finish a Berber Village starter on the 15 x 15 sized lot to the left of the Troubadour, as well as change the gate at the Day Care Center and the Berber Village Garden.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ah I understand reach! Don't worry about those gates. I'm gonna comb through the world for stuff like that later today
  • Options
    xSorcierxSorcier Posts: 346 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi guys! I just want to say that I very happy to see all that you are doing to give more life to Al Medina! This is definitely a great World, and it can be even better :)

Also want to say thank you for all the compliments on our work on this world and specially my buildings, It was very fun to make them and Zach and Reach had helped me a lot with them.

Aminovas and Niac, I can't wait to see your adds to this world.
    *I recently changed my origin ID from levijeronimo to xSorcier.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Reach, so glad you had a moment to check in :) That pesky real life... jk, glad you are attending to what you need to. Our heat-wave just broke over the last few days and it is suddenly so pleasant out. I hope it is the same for you.

I just had a crash building in the Berber village so I am more than happy to focus on the Nouveau riche area...! Sounds like Reach has it under control but I am on standby. I should have at least a little time to build every day through the weekend except for Friday when I am busy all day, and I will have to take a little of that time tomorrow to finish a build for TammyJo. I am paying as much attention as I can to continuity in look/feel/style. You all have done so well with that all the while making each lot feel very unique.

xSorcier you all deserve compliments like mad!

one more quick check: all EPs are game but not Island Paradise? Any stuff packs? I will be keeping things quite simple though.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    aminovas wrote:
    Niac, that was fast !! :) looks so great!!

Also, I'm in the Water House right now and as per my first impression I am not having any trouble with it at all.

Hey! I'm the waterhouse as well! The only problem I've had is that when a sim goes into the children's room, the get the 'unfinished' moodlet.

I'm glad you guys like it!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    aminovas wrote:
    one more quick check: all EPs are game but not Island Paradise? Any stuff packs? I will be keeping things quite simple though.

No Stuff Packs, No Seasons, No Supernatural. No Store content. We include but stop at Showtime. I think that's it.

Have fun in the nouveau riche area and thanks for finishing up our last two lots there.

And no, my heat wave has not broken. That will be the last week of October. Sad, but true.

@Niac, love the new build. I'll try to see what got missed in the children's room. That's odd... unless some wall-covering fell off the wall. It's been known to happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay it looks like you're clear to build in the nouveau riche area! Have fun with the unique aesthetic of the hillside.

I haven't thought of it before, but I wonder if it'd be possible to add a waterfall in the center of the house, and have that water fall into a pool? That sounds about as nouveau riche as it gets!

Maybe you can use fog emitter effects for the falling water. Or turn it into an infinity pool with the edge dripping water into the pool.

My brain is blowing up
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Zach_Bundy wrote:
    Okay it looks like you're clear to build in the nouveau riche area! Have fun with the unique aesthetic of the hillside.

I haven't thought of it before, but I wonder if it'd be possible to add a waterfall in the center of the house, and have that water fall into a pool? That sounds about as nouveau riche as it gets!

Maybe you can use fog emitter effects for the falling water. Or turn it into an infinity pool with the edge dripping water into the pool.

My brain is blowing up

I'm on the same brain wave! amazing. :) I've been experimenting quite a bit with that sort of thing in another build... I've got my first house built around a very small courtyard.. i may post some pictures later and ask you to vote on what you like! The first house will not have room for a pool the way I built it, what with the space stairs take to get up to it, but the second house may be just right for something like that...

edit: scratch that, I've fit in a pool!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Awesome! Don't forget that any ideas that just don't fit into your first house will definitely fit into the other one!

I think there's a problem with me liking all of the houses in the world, which means that It's gonna be hard to decide which ones to pre-populate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top