We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people hate loading screens so much?

Come on, people, they're not that bad. I personally prefer the TS2 style closed neighborhood because it's not like the loading screens take long at all, even with my 3,000 files of cc (BTW, is that considered a lot? I don't know any other Simmers IRL to compare to). I wouldn't mind if they ditched the seamless neighborhood for quality, smoothness, and gameplay and I had to look at a loading screen for about 10 seconds to go to another lot. In fact, I would be rather pleased.
Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
Origin ID: Eve0053
Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

Comments

• SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited July 2013
    I hate loading screens. But i would prefeer loading screens over a lagging, crashing, routing problem game.

Or maybe EA just get a good engine so we can play Sims 4 smooth without crashes, lag and routing problems just like other open worlds game *cough* GTA V! *Cough*
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:
    I hate loading screens. But i would prefeer loading screens over a lagging, crashing, routing problem game.

Or maybe EA just get a good engine so we can play Sims 4 smooth without crashes, lag and routing problems just like other open worlds game *cough* GTA V! *Cough*

But the question is, why? What makes loading screens so insufferable that it means that much?
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Origin ID: Eve0053
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited July 2013
    I have always loved Open world games, and just playing on one lot can be really boring sometimes. That's my reason atleast for hating loading screens.
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't like them because they just feel like time wasters. I remember for TS2, after awhile not wanting to go off of my lot because I had to wait.
    We are a people of instant gratification these days. If it is possible to have immediate results, then most would go towards getting immediate results.

I enjoy seeing my sim travel the town instead of a load screen. I like to admire the scenery and it makes it feel more involved.

Just my preference I suppose. I don't mind a big loading screen in the beginning but to me it gets tedious when I keep having to go through them to go anywhere in my game.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,858 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't mind the waiting. You have to wait for your sim to get to where they're going in an open world. But the reason I don't like them is the sense of disconnect they give the worlds our Sims live in. Having loading screens emphasizes that it's just a bunch of lots instead of seamless world.

What's the saying, it's about the journey not the destination? The destination is the same with both loading and no loading screens, but the journey's a whole let prettier with an open neighborhood.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • BigWazaaBigWazaa Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:

But the question is, why? What makes loading screens so insufferable that it means that much?
    Because our time is important.

Life is short, and to be waiting is... lame.
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited July 2013
    People are already complaing Island Paradise is too big, takes too long to get around.

Imagine what they'd say about an open world with multiple regions.

I like playing large worlds in MMOs and RPGs, but the loading screens for Sims doesn't bother me all that much, especially if Sims are heading to a vacation spot.
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited July 2013
    BigWazaa wrote:
    SimsTias wrote:

Because our time is important.

Life is short, and to be waiting is... lame.

There's really not much difference betweern waiting for a loading screen and waiting for your Sim to travel across town via bike, foot, car, and/or boat. They probably take the same amount of time. The time issue is also dependent on the computer you're using.
  • DarkSlayer1331DarkSlayer1331 Posts: 429 Member
    edited July 2013
    It isn't the time. It's that I don't get to see them go to their destination. And that's kind of cool to me. I love seamless worlds. But I think that the engine we're currently using is making things lag and such. Now I'm pretty sure they're using the same GlassBox engine in TS4 that they used for SimCity. At least that's what I read somewhere - that EA was going to be using that for all its upcoming projects in the same sort of scope of things. I just like the feeling that everything is ACTUALLY connected. If that makes sense.
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    Gameplay completely stops during a loading screen. Currently I can send a sim across town but continue to play the other sims until he gets there. When I send a sim or sims on vacation or to university, the whole game stops while the new town loads.

They're fine for big things but I wouldn't want a steady diet of them.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2013
    Island Paradise wouldn't be the same if it was just going from one loading screen to another. The open seamless world is the reason that I enjoy having a houseboat so much in the game. It may take forever to get from one port to the next, but it allows my Sim to spend quality time alone doing something she needs to do without the distraction of having neighbors around. And then, when she wants to be social she simply starts up her houseboat and travels to a different port.

Frankly, if they'd had anything like Island Paradise in The Sims 2, it wouldn't have been possible to have a houseboat. All you'd see is a picture of a houseboat while the loading screen took you to the next island.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • YumedustYumedust Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't like them because they just feel like time wasters. I remember for TS2, after awhile not wanting to go off of my lot because I had to wait.
    We are a people of instant gratification these days. If it is possible to have immediate results, then most would go towards getting immediate results.

I enjoy seeing my sim travel the town instead of a load screen. I like to admire the scenery and it makes it feel more involved.

Just my preference I suppose. I don't mind a big loading screen in the beginning but to me it gets tedious when I keep having to go through them to go anywhere in my game.

I have to agree with Psych. I would much rather have a loading screen in the beginning and be able to cruise around my neighborhood afterward. I couldn't stand the "hurry up and wait" in TS2.

Edited for spelling because I'm a derp.
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited July 2013
    Because they take away time I could have spend playing the game, not to mention it completely kills immersion. Long load times can kill a game no matter how good it is, anyone who has a PSP can attest to that.
    34336_s.gif
  • PrincessRainbowPrincessRainbow Posts: 132 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't mind them, really, but it'd be nice if load times were faster. I can start the game, go start laundry, use the bathroom, get a drink and STILL not be "in game" yet. :? I guess it's good for multitasking...lol
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited July 2013
    It's not the loading screens that bother me. It wasn't with TS2 and it's not with TS3. It's the time disconnects that do. You, as a person, don't go to town for the day, have dinner, go bowling, go home and it's like you never went at all. Why should that happen in the sims?

It's not remotely realistic. Before anybody decides to scream "But it's not meant to be realistic" it's a life simulator. It should be slightly realistic.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited July 2013
    Double post. Please ignore.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2013
    Arletta wrote:
    It's not the loading screens that bother me. It wasn't with TS2 and it's not with TS3. It's the time disconnects that do. You, as a person, don't go to town for the day, have dinner, go bowling, go home and it's like you never went at all. Why should that happen in the sims?

It's not remotely realistic. Before anybody decides to scream "But it's not meant to be realistic" it's a life simulator. It should be slightly realistic.

The only time I don't mind the loading screen is when I send my Sim abroad or to University. It's nice I can do that and not lose any time at home, because if I time it right, they don't even have to miss work.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,578 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi :)

I didn't mind the loading screens in TS2, when I got a computer that could handle them. So, I think it would be more about how often and why that people would hate the loading screens.

Having mini-hoods and short loading screens might not be such a problem if the mini-hoods were worth it in game play- as was suggested by someone in another topic...
    Living in small town like Sunset Valley and then going to the City (Bridgeport) with a small loading screen (smaller Bridgeport :lol: ) wouldn't be so bad in my opinion. :D
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,858 Member
    edited July 2013
    Arletta wrote:

There is this, too. And that's an extremely good point.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi :)

I didn't mind the loading screens in TS2, when I got a computer that could handle them. So, I think it would be more about how often and why that people would hate the loading screens.

Having mini-hoods and short loading screens might not be such a problem if the mini-hoods were worth it in game play- as was suggested by someone in another topic...
    Living in small town like Sunset Valley and then going to the City (Bridgeport) with a small loading screen (smaller Bridgeport :lol: ) wouldn't be so bad in my opinion. :D

^^ This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say ^_^

When I first had TS2, my computer was so slow that loading screens took ten minutes. Not great fun. When I got a better one, they took less time, but it always annoyed me how you didn't have just ONE loading screen, you had TWO - one for the subhood you were going to, another for the lot you were going to. Now when I play TS2 and my puter zips through the game. So in answer to the OPs question, for me, it is having the two loading screens that bugs me.

That's why I think I could handle having loading screens again if it was just the one. If we had mini open hoods (as Rflong7 described :)) to ease pressure on PCs and enable more in-depth gameplay, I'd be all for it. And the seamlessness would not be entirely gone. I guess in THAT case it would just depend on how long the loading screens took XD

But I do agree that it disrupts the immersion and takes away game time, whereas in TS3 you can continue playing other sims whilst another one travels.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't hate them. I take a coffee break, get something to snack while I play, take a bathroom break, text a message etc.

It gives the old eyes a break. Stairing at the screen for more than an hour is bad on the eyes..that is why you should get up and walk around and strech your eye muscles as far as you can see. Besides sitting too long (hour or more) can cause blood clots in the legs from being inactive..that's a fact, so they have their advantages. :mrgreen:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2013
    It's annoying to look at the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 loading screen, I hate that of Sims 2 :evil:

At least now my sims have a reason to have a car, they use it to get around town, instead of just loading around town. I love being in the active town without loading screens, seeing the scenery as my sim drives through the streets and past sims. I love worlds now because I get tot see them active in every way.
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    I don't hate them. I take a coffee break, get something to snack while I play, take a bathroom break, text a message etc.

It gives the old eyes a break. Stairing at the screen for more than an hour is bad on the eyes..that is why you should get up and walk around and strech your eye muscles as far as you can see. Besides sitting too long (hour or more) can cause blood clots in the legs from being inactive..that's a fact, so they have their advantages. :mrgreen:

That's why I save every 30 minutes. If I had a gazillion loading screens on top of frequent saving, I would never actually get to play.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2013
    No one hates loading screens, they just hate what they represent: a break in continuity.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited July 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

I came here to say that. Thanks for doing it for me. :wink:

Really, in my opinion the loading screens aren't that bad. There isn't a single game out there that doesn't have loading screens. Even open world games have loading screens somewhere.

I don't like the open world style of play in TS3 because it still has loading, and unlike its predecessors it wastes in-game time to do it. Another user (I can't remember your name, sorry) mentioned that he/she doesn't like how when you return from a lot, the time stays the same. In my opinion, I think that's a benefit because it gives you more time to play with your sims.

Like I said before, in TS3 it still takes a considerable amount of time for your sim to get where they're going. The have to make their way to the car, find some crazy route to the destination, and wait for the lot to load properly, all while standing idle a few times. And when they finally get there, it's too late and the place has closed. :roll:

The Sims 3 loading style take away in-game time. I prefer to wait 3-4 real minutes for a lot to load than to waste 3 sim hours for them to travel. That's just me.