Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about the Yibsims

The "mega fans" Ea chose, even though their just as much fans as you or me are, but their just popular.... Anyways some of them are too Happy if you know what I mean... Like Curtis makes good houses but I really don't trust him making discissions on the game, he's just too positive and loves everything ea does, now If they chose someone like the LGR guy I would be happy...

Comments

• lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    whats a yibsims
  • Mia576Mia576 Posts: 393 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I personally like that they are taking input from the community, fansites or not. What I DID notices was a change in fansites, specifically SimsVIP. I don't know, they used to post about leaks, early listings, surveys etc. before a lot, which was great. Now, they aren't even mentioning The Sims 4 leaked survey. It's not like it's fake, the Seasons survey turned out almost the same as the EP. Maybe they somehow agreed with EA not to post stuff about P.Kelly and other leaks?
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm indifferent.
  • ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm inbetween on this one. I think it's good, but maybe not fully done the right way. I have my suspicious thoughts about it. Getting input from the community is great either way. :)
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited July 2013
    I understand why they did it, why they made "Yibsims", but still, it just doesn't seem right to me. These people are somehow "better" simmers (to be dubbed Yibsims) because they throw up some videos on youtube etc. I think it completely undermines the entire sims fanbase to choose exclusives.
    But, they got the word out quickly that TS4 was coming, ensured hype around the announcement and got the community involved -- just what EA wanted.

Realistically though I think I'm just jealous :shock:
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited July 2013
    Don't have a clue who they are so can't really comment as i don't know if it's a good thing or not. Depends really on what these yibsims are like, what they stand for, what they are interested in doing etc
    My origin id is sim2011
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    I just sort of shrug.

I create focus groups and power user groups for my job all the time. When I'm creating one, I look for users who are really digging in and using/pushing the product. I want enthusiastic users not debbie downers. I want users who are willing to accept change and look to the future of the product not ones who want to go backwards. In the end I can't pick everyone who qualifies so I just the ones that I think will work the best.

People are always left out. People are always mad. People are always going to complain that the process wasn't fair. There is nothing I can do about that.

• SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2013
    Why are they called Yibsims?
    Conorsim wrote:
    I understand why they did it, why they made "Yibsims", but still, it just doesn't seem right to me. These people are somehow "better" simmers (to be dubbed Yibsims) because they throw up some videos on youtube etc. I think it completely undermines the entire sims fanbase to choose exclusives.
    But, they got the word out quickly that TS4 was coming, ensured hype around the announcement and got the community involved -- just what EA wanted.

I don't think EA are implying that these guys are better Simmers. But to be fair to those guys, they've been putting up Let's Play videos and tutorials and really pushing the game on YouTube and they have lots of fans...which makes them a decent connection to the community. It's not like these "Yibsims" are going off and suggesting all their ideas to the development team...people like Sims Supply. Sims VIP and The Quxxn are asking their fans for input and have agreed to pass on the community's ideas to the developers.

But at the end of the day, there is only so much these guys can do so whether they have a positive mindframe or a negative mindframe makes very little difference.

• TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited July 2013
    lilhunny wrote:
    whats a yibsims

When the Sims 4 team had a phone call for certain people only- those people are called yibsims. It means "friend". :lol: (A bit cheesy..)

The "mega fans" Ea chose, even though their just as much fans as you or me are, but their just popular.... Anyways some of them are too Happy if you know what I mean... Like Curtis makes good houses but I really don't trust him making discissions on the game, he's just too positive and loves everything ea does, now If they chose someone like the LGR guy I would be happy...

I don't like it one bit. I run a new fan site, so I understood why the older fan sites got to join in on this. I'm not jealous at all, but it's alarming to me that EA wants to go through these people instead of just releasing it.

SimsVIP started to withhold information for EA, making TS4 controversy even more complicated. I wouldn't be shocked if SimsVIP or Curtis or whoever knows a lot more about TS4 then we do. I hope EA realizes that only 5 or so people can get them so far. They should have made it public. I don't understand why it was limited, at all.
    edited July 2013
    oh

and by the way op the lgr guy is just as much of a blind fan boy as curtis
  • LuckySkyLuckySky Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited July 2013
    lilhunny wrote:
    oh

and by the way op the lgr guy is just as much of a blind fan boy as curtis

Really? I watch LGR'S videos all the time. He gives out pretty blunt and harsh criticism of the sims games. He is completely different from Curtis (not that I have a problem with Curtis).
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited July 2013
    I like the CurtisparadisShow i think they choose him because he isn't going to challenge them too much on things. Though every once and a while he'll say something he isn't happy about. Generally speaking they're going to look for fansites that they feel will increase the image of the game.

You look at LGR's reviews and honestly he has good imput, but you aren't going to see the dev team choose him and be challenged by him. Why because he'll speak his mind honestly about the game. Especially about what he likes and dislikes. As popular as that is with us it's not gonna impress EA. Nor should it, i like that LGR is gonna give an honest review of the game negatives and positives what he feels is missing etc. We need a voice like that too for the community.

I do think as much of a marketing ploy it is to go after the fansites, I do think Ea slipped up there. They don't like the forums too much because we are the most vocal in our opinions. It takes the longest time to talk on here with people because it's not twitter you can quickly type it and go. We are the most critical of their work here where as fansites are just that fansites. You aren't going to find them being too critical as they are fans. You can't really blame them for going where they think will cause better sales. I think it created a negative after taste in everyone's mouth the route they went, but meh no hurt feelings from me. As long as sims 4 offers some huge improvements to the series as far as gameplay they can advertise to us using Rick James and I wouldn't care.
  • horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited July 2013
    2011simone wrote:
    Don't have a clue who they are so can't really comment as i don't know if it's a good thing or not. Depends really on what these yibsims are like, what they stand for, what they are interested in doing etc

I agree with this comment. I don't really know any of them either. I hope that they don't pick simmers that all play a certain way - a variety of playing styles would mean a more balanced game in my opinion.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited July 2013
    They need a diverse range of simmers. Youtuber and fansites are fine, but what about other simmers? Their viewpoint may be different and they are more likely interested in a better game than more numbers for their channels and websites.

It's more a marketing tool for the output of information than valuable input for the game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I think it's that fansites will spread and hype the information faster than normal simmers, plus they have a bit more validity (there have been multiple times when a single simmer claims to have information and it is instantly shot down). Plus they would be easier to contact and get hold of.
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2013
    My only concern is that they are preaching to the converted, and using these guys as major marketing tools rather than "voices of the community" or whatever you want to call it.

Some of them are people like IpodZeke, Curtis, Quxxn and The Sim Supply (James). Out of all of them, I reckon the only person who would say "no I don't like that" or "that's stupid" or anything similar would be James... they are all die-hard sims fans (obviously), and a lot of them are positive about the game no matter what sometimes. Plus a little star-struck too, potentially :P

I'm totally jealous, and have no issue admitting so XD And I do think that a voice, or voices, from people who actually PLAY THE GAME, every day, know the bugs and how it all works, interact with the simming community every day and hear what people like and don't like, is better than no voice at all. The issue will be whether they're there to give feedback and ideas, or whether they're there to say "this game is amazing and all you thousands of people who watch my videos should buy it!" *Queue EA's evil cackle* XD
  • TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited July 2013
    bethyGrace wrote:
    My only concern is that they are preaching to the converted, and using these guys as major marketing tools rather than "voices of the community" or whatever you want to call it.

Some of them are people like IpodZeke, Curtis, Quxxn and The Sim Supply (James). Out of all of them, I reckon the only person who would say "no I don't like that" or "that's stupid" or anything similar would be James... they are all die-hard sims fans (obviously), and a lot of them are positive about the game no matter what sometimes. Plus a little star-struck too, potentially :P

I'm totally jealous, and have no issue admitting so XD And I do think that a voice, or voices, from people who actually PLAY THE GAME, every day, know the bugs and how it all works, interact with the simming community every day and hear what people like and don't like, is better than no voice at all. The issue will be whether they're there to give feedback and ideas, or whether they're there to say "this game is amazing and all you thousands of people who watch my videos should buy it!" *Queue EA's evil cackle* XD

:lol::lol::lol:
    Good points. :)
    & good queue! :lol:

CK213 wrote:
    They need a diverse range of simmers. Youtuber and fansites are fine, but what about other simmers? Their viewpoint may be different and they are more likely interested in a better game than more numbers for their channels and websites.

It's more a marketing tool for the output of information than valuable input for the game.

*claps*

If I had TS4 info, I would post it here. Sure, I would put it on the site as well for those who check there, but I would put it out where most of the simmers are- to get the news out without hassle.
    I still don't understand why people would use simmers for fame. For example, Curtis. He's good and all, but why did he create tshirts? I feel like some people aren't in it for the right reasons. :roll:
    I would have to say that The Sims Supply is the most humble out of all of them.
  • EivindbroenEivindbroen Posts: 223 New Member
    edited July 2013
    There are tons of yibsims actually, even one to represent Norway which is Simgoodie. I trust him because he is really honest about the games but tends too be overly excited at first.
    edited July 2013
    how does one go about being initiated into this ultra exclusive group of yibs
  • pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited July 2013
    lilhunny wrote:

Make videos on YouTube, and never ever complain about anything, you must worship EA and everything they do...
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited July 2013
    lilhunny wrote:

Make videos on YouTube, and never ever complain about anything, you must worship EA and everything they do...

That can't be true. :(

I'm sure they're nice people. :D

Who wouldn't want to go? Who wouldn't love to be part of trying the new Sims series?... Okay, there *are maybe a few but I'm thinking most Simmers would love to be part of it. :D

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    lilhunny wrote:

Okay, come on. Although there are some of them like that, there are ones that don't glorify all that is EA. Some are honest and truthful, and some focus more on the features and putting stuff out there rather than being on the extremes of either side. You're just making them sound bad now.
  • SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2013
    TRachet wrote:
    I still don't understand why people would use simmers for fame. For example, Curtis. He's good and all, but why did he create tshirts? I feel like some people aren't in it for the right reasons. :roll:
    I would have to say that The Sims Supply is the most humble out of all of them.

Because Curtis in particular is just as much about the marketing as EA is. From watching his videos, you can tell that he wants to increase his brand. And for all of these guys...it's an opportunity to get in close with The Sims team and maybe get a job out of it. Curtis has asked in numerous videos for EA to hire him, in a joking manner but there's still an element of hope to it.

And I genuinely don't begrudge him at all. He's a fan of the games and job opportunities are hard to come by...where better to work than on The Sims team? I'd work there myself if I received the opportunity and would definitely set up my own Let's Play/YouTube Sims channel if I had a decent computer and enough money to really invest!
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't particularly care. It's a publicity stunt. EA chose some Simmers who are in the public eye and are going to use them as advertising. They did the same thing with The Sims 3 and a few of the expansions when they invited the staff of popular fansites and such to see the game and take screenshots, document their experiences, etc. This is pretty much the same thing.

I do hate the "why not me?" attitude, though. Have you managed to cultivate a noticeably large fanbase within the public eye, either on blogging platforms, YouTube, or with a respected fansite that can be used as a spotlight for advertising and pre-release hype? No? Then that's why it wasn't you. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.
  • pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited July 2013
    Icarus wrote:
    I don't particularly care. It's a publicity stunt. EA chose some Simmers who are in the public eye and are going to use them as advertising. They did the same thing with The Sims 3 and a few of the expansions when they invited the staff of popular fansites and such to see the game and take screenshots, document their experiences, etc. This is pretty much the same thing.

I do hate the "why not me?" attitude, though. Have you managed to cultivate a noticeably large fanbase within the public eye, either on blogging platforms, YouTube, or with a respected fansite that can be used as a spotlight for advertising and pre-release hype? No? Then that's why it wasn't you. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

Not once did I say why not me, the only problem I have is that the people EA did chose seem very happy with whatever they say, I don't see any of them complaining, no critisism at all, if ea chose better people (LGR) I would be happy.... I mean I don't see the Yibsims interacting on the forums... Which is something they should do...