Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This wasn't supposed to help with the lag, but it did.

Comments

• Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    It would be interesting to know what graphics card each of you have to see if there is any common denominator in those for whom it works and those it doesn't work for.

I am going to try this too

I have an AMD Radeon 7850
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'll try it. My settings are quite high but I don't think they're all on the very highest setting yet...
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• Options
    Loreleilee73Loreleilee73 Posts: 222 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm going to try this too! I think most of my settings are high but not all? Anyway, I'm going to give it a go when I get home from work tonight, what's the worst that can happen?!
  • Options
    Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited July 2013
    Since I'm about to play, I will try this now. Hopefully it works for me. :)
  • Options
    vickigohvickigoh Posts: 326 Member
    edited July 2013
    Does it apply to other world maps or just isla paradiso?
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited July 2013
    This might have to do with the game not properly recognizing your card. If the game doesn't know your card, it doesn't know which settings SHOULD be default for you and just picks anything.

So could help does with great graphic cards but I doubt it will help those with older cards or graphic chips.

Only way to find out is for everyone to post their cards when stating if it worked or not.

Here's a link how to find out whether the game recognizes your card properly: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/getting-the-game-to-recognize-your-card.html
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2013
    As someone else suggested we post our video cards here I thought I'd divulge some system information :P

I use a laptop so the graphics card is built in. However, 'my computer' shows my hardware as:

Processor: AMD A8-3530MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Grapics 1.90ghz

(it's a quad core processor)

RAM: 8.0 GB (7.48 GB usable)

And I have Windows 7 64 bit.

My laptop doesn't seem to say exactly what graphics card I have but it's definitely AMD.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    if you hit Windows-key+R and then type DxDiag you can see what card you have there. You can even save it to a text file and post the part about the graphics.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    dweldydweldy Posts: 90
    edited July 2013
    I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 card. It's one of their older, inexpensive ones but has 1mb VRAM. Running on Windows 7
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited July 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    This might have to do with the game not properly recognizing your card. If the game doesn't know your card, it doesn't know which settings SHOULD be default for you and just picks anything.

So could help does with great graphic cards but I doubt it will help those with older cards or graphic chips.

Only way to find out is for everyone to post their cards when stating if it worked or not.

Here's a link how to find out whether the game recognizes your card properly: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/getting-the-game-to-recognize-your-card.html

Well didn't I feel silly. I checked this out and my Sims game was not recognizing my graphics card. I thought I was computer smart, but I guess pretty stupid. One of the reasons I went to investigate is because my Island Paradise Game was very laggy and almost unplayable. However, my Dragon Valley save and other saves were playable.

I followed the instructions and now my graphics card is recognized. However, my Island Paradise save is still unplayable. I started a new Island Paradise game and everything is absolutely awesome in the new game (I am assuming something corrupted in the old save and possibly the graphics card not being recognized might have just corrupted that save. I am definitely not heart broken, I wasn't that thrilled with that save anyway).

The only issue I am having is that when I start a new game it takes about 30-40 minutes for the new game to launch. Once I save the game loads up really quickly.

I now have all my graphic settings set to high and I can't believe how awesome and smooth the game is running.
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited July 2013
    Oh and btw. Not only does my game not lag any more (just a tiny bit), the game loads INCREDIBLY fast now! My jaw is like on the ground right now.
    Before it took about 4-5 minutes to load a saved game. Now it takes only like 30 seconds!
  • Options
    emotionsemotions Posts: 29 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I have a 3,5 year old PC (still decent though) and thought Island Paradise was going to make my game lag like never before. My settings were on medium and I thought I might as well try how the game looks on high settings. I was expecting an unplayable game but instead it made my game run smoothly.

My graphics card is: AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870.
  • Options
    JennieL759JennieL759 Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2013
    I will have to try this, my game lags a bit. I only notice it when my sims are on the boats.
  • Options
    AmberNicole1989AmberNicole1989 Posts: 1,532
    edited July 2013
    I'm surprised no one has directly said this.

If you have a graphics card that can handle high settings, and you are putting it on low settings, it can cause performance issues. It's like that in any games, especially FPS games.

I have a good card and currently run everything high. I experience some lag but nothing that I can't deal with.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited July 2013
    :? I usually have all of my settings pretty high but I checked anyway. I noticed my edge smoothing was off. I changed it to medium and the game does run a lot smoother.

Thank you for bringing this up. :D
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    It would be interesting to know what graphics card each of you have to see if there is any common denominator in those for whom it works and those it doesn't work for.

I am going to try this too

I have an AMD Radeon 7850

Okay gave it a try and it did improve a bit. I then tried two other tips about deleting houseboats and the problem Scott family. A little better still. The final solution for me was to slow the game speed down from 3 to 2 using Nraas SP mode. Success! now only the odd stutter occassionally. I can finally play IP and managed my first dive :mrgreen:
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited July 2013
    Even though my laptop is using my Nvidia geforce gt 630m it says Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 on device congfig
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    2011simone wrote:
    Even though my laptop is using my Nvidia geforce gt 630m it says Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 on device congfig

Then you have a dual system and the game is running on the wrong card.

Check my link above.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    SavannaHudonSavannaHudon Posts: 104 Member
    edited November 2013
    I cannot believe this helped. Wow. Thanks dude.
  • Options
    bfish44bfish44 Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    I tried this as well but it didn't seem to help. In fact I think the freezing got a little worse. And it looks like the game recognizes my video card so not sure what to try next.

=== Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Name (database): Radeon HD 5700 Series [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
  • Options
    ilaeocilaeoc Posts: 21
    edited January 2014
    I'm a little late in buying/playing Island Paradise, but this tip helped me SO MUCH! It took a few minutes to take effect, but now it's so smooth and everything looks beautiful!
  • Options
    amaixyasaiamaixyasai Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2014
    I actually tried this (along with a few other things which I'll list) and my game runs almost like normal now. It still lags a bit but only for a half a second when it does lag.

So I:
      upped all the graphics in the game
      took off snow and fog from the weather list (just left rain and hail, but probably wouldn't do anything even if I did take these last 2 off, but you never know)
      relocated all the families in the boat houses to in-land houses (or you can delete them lol)
      deleted all the boat houses in the game (I left the houses that are half on water, but I think I may delete those as well)
      testingcheastenabled true and DiscoverAllUnchartedIslands.

After I did all that, the crazy, uncontrollable lag went away!
    oh! And my graphics card is: AMD Radeon HD 7560D
  • Options
    HenwenHenwen Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2014
    I just got this EP and after starting a pretty clean game pulling out my previous Sims3 folder and starting fresh, keeping a very few third party cc and having mostly store items, no mods, no NRASS (it bugs up my game worse), I finally installed IP today and it would pause every Sim 15 minutes. It's awful!!!!
    Now, if I set the graphics to high, do I still have to delete the Scott family and bulldoze every boathouse? Seems like such a shame since there would have to be so much rebuilding.
    Is just getting rid of the Scott family and resetting the graphics enough and will this do the job?
  • Options
    bmashlandbmashland Posts: 358 New Member
    edited April 2014
    I use the high settings, in fact the only thing I adjusted would be the screen size so those were auto-detected to where they are because even the game knows it is the software and not my computer.
    I lag... On 4 time what the box said, this is going to be short lived.

Talk to Maxis behind these posts, just ask for fixes for all your bugs.
    It is all we get for support.

The EA customer service lady who found my "unsupported g-card" said to change that and get one off this wiki list... I did. Bugs are still there.

This new EA customer service lady who ONLY collected a DX DIAG of my machine, offered to as she called it... "troubleshoot".
    I wasn't about to let an Office manager do my computer troubleshooting, but apparently all that meant was she wanted to lower the settings.
    Just so you know I don't let my house cleaning lady rewire my stereo connections either so it wasn't personal she just wasn't qualified to be troubleshooting a computer for a customer in my opinion.

It's a fluke.
    Sit back and wait for the "you know what" to hit your fan again dude. Our fix will only come in the form of an update from this company, it is plan and simple.
  • Options
    karisamarie88karisamarie88 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I am curious to know what computers/laptops (please list your processor if possible)
    everyone is using to play? What graphics cards are you guys using as well? I am wondering mostly, whose getting the best playing experience with what computer? I currently have 2 laptops, my baby is a gorgeous Sony Vaio that is only a year old with HD 1080P & 3D graphics, a i5 core processor clocking in around 2.66 GHZ 640 GBHD 6GB ram but however, I am not 100% sure on what exact graphics card it has. The other laptop I am currently on right now is a 2012 toshiba satellite L755 with an i3 core processor, clocked around 2.3 GHZ ATI radeon graphics card, 320GBHD 4GB ram. I have noticed that my Vaio knocks the toshiba out of the water, but they both have their pros & cons.

Sorry for the long post guys, & happy simming :)