Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ways I've made Island Paradise not lag as much!

Okay so I've been seeing a few threads with simmers complaining about the lag in IP and I'm actually one of those people. Through doing some research and reading a lot of info I've decided to make a thread dedicated to telling other people ways to make their game run faster!

Anyone who has other ways then what I've said please post it here for everyone else! Thank you :mrgreen:

Okay I'll compile it into a list.

-I deleted my cache files in the documents folder
-deleted all world cache in the documents folder
-deleted all thumbnails in documents folder
-deleted all featureditems in documents folder
-disabled memories completely
-turned off all life states in the options including (pets, celebrities and occults.)
-used a cheat to unlock all hidden islands (cause SO much lag)
-added Twallans Overwatch, Traffic, Master Controller and Error Trap mods

I get a bit of stutter but NOT as much as before.

Comments

• sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2013
    Added 2 new ones.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited June 2013
    I would LOVE to delete all the Featured Items, but as soon as I do and then start the game again, they all return.

Anyone know how to turn off the Featured Items feature? I don't want it!!
  • AlexBoyJrAlexBoyJr Posts: 61 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Delete a household called the Scott family who i believe live on a houseboat. They tend to get stuck in and around their houseboat and they seem to be more common at getting stuck in places around Isla Paradiso, worth a try.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for that, I'll look for them when I'm back playing and delete them.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited June 2013
    In addition to the things you've listed there are a couple more things on the technical side people can try to improve their performance.

- Update your graphics card driver - this is really important.

- Increase your virtual memory. I noticed that I hadn't done this since switching my games over to windows 8, and once done it helped with the lag quite a bit.

- I strongly recommend using a utility called Razor Game Booster (google it) to launch your game. It shuts down unnecessary processes while playing to free up system resources.

These steps, in addition to what the OP suggested above, have dramatically improved my game's performance and I no longer have much lag at all in IP.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • SimplyToriSimplyTori Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2013
    thanks for sharing this I will try the same what you listed but what cheat did you use to unlock the islands?
    justlurking.gif
  • pringtjoepringtjoe Posts: 496 New Member
    edited June 2013
    thanks for sharing this I will try the same what you listed but what cheat did you use to unlock the islands?

unlockallunchartedislands

:D
    edited June 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:
    I would LOVE to delete all the Featured Items, but as soon as I do and then start the game again, they all return.

I can tell how to do exactly that with a few easy steps:

-First, find your Featured Items folder in the Sims 3 folder.
    -Right click on the folder and scroll down to 'Properties'
    -Once in Properties, go to the Security tab.
    -In Security, there is an option to edit Permissions. Select this option.
    -Make sure you have your User name selected from the list of permissions (Not SYSTEM).
    -Edit the option to 'Write' to the folder to 'Deny'. Apply the changes and you're done.

This will disable the game from being able to recreate the contents of the folder every time you load the game.

featureitemsfolder.jpg
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
    edited June 2013
    In addition to the things you've listed there are a couple more things on the technical side people can try to improve their performance.

- Increase your virtual memory. I noticed that I hadn't done this since switching my games over to windows 8, and once done it helped with the lag quite a bit.

- I strongly recommend using a utility called Razor Game Booster (google it) to launch your game. It shuts down unnecessary processes while playing to free up system resources.

These steps, in addition to what the OP suggested above, have dramatically improved my game's performance and I no longer have much lag at all in IP.

Hey my virtual memory says something like there's 523347 and the recommended virtul memory should be 3400mb what shall i set mine to? i put it at initial 30000 and maximum 50000
  • smilies246smilies246 Posts: 556 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Stdlr9 wrote:

I can tell how to do exactly that with a few easy steps:

-First, find your Featured Items folder in the Sims 3 folder.
    -Right click on the folder and scroll down to 'Properties'
    -Once in Properties, go to the Security tab.
    -In Security, there is an option to edit Permissions. Select this option.
    -Make sure you have your User name selected from the list of permissions (Not SYSTEM).
    -Edit the option to 'Write' to the folder to 'Deny'. Apply the changes and you're done.

This will disable the game from being able to recreate the contents of the folder every time you load the game.

featureitemsfolder.jpg

How to do this on Windows XP??? I clicked on 'Make this folder private' is that good enough?? XD
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

Hey my virtual memory says something like there's 523347 and the recommended virtul memory should be 3400mb what shall i set mine to? i put it at initial 30000 and maximum 50000

The recommended amount is basically just the minimum that it should have. There's totally nothing wrong with having more. As long as you have the hard drive space to cover it, your values are fine the way they are. I have mine set to maximum of 20000 and that seems to be more than enough.

smilies246 - Sorry, can't help you with Windows XP. :( It's been years since I had that OS. Maybe somebody else who uses it could offer some advice.
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

The recommended amount is basically just the minimum that it should have. There's totally nothing wrong with having more. As long as you have the hard drive space to cover it, your values are fine the way they are. I have mine set to maximum of 20000 and that seems to be more than enough.

smilies246 - Sorry, can't help you with Windows XP. :( It's been years since I had that OP. Maybe somebody else who uses it could offer some advice.

ok thanks i will try 20000 :)
  • venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited June 2013
    StarlingGray- is that Windows 7 or 8?
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

edited June 2013
    StarlingGray- is that Windows 7 or 8?

Windows 8, but I would assume it would look about the same for Windows 7. I used to have Vista and the panel looked pretty much exactly the same as the one I posted.
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

TY :thumbup:
    Happy Simming Tori
    justlurking.gif
  • smilies246smilies246 Posts: 556 New Member
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

This cheat doesn't work for me??

Oh I googled and it is 'Discoverallunchartedislands'
  • Mitsy65Mitsy65 Posts: 361 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I tried that cheat too and it does not work
    edited June 2013
    smilies246 wrote:
    pringtjoe wrote:

This cheat doesn't work for me??

Thanks for the cheat just reread your post :D so I changed mine :lol:
    justlurking.gif
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thank you, StarlingGray! Will try that and start the game again. :D
    edited June 2013
    Duurr yeh sorry that's what i was supposed to put lol
    edited June 2013

What files do i need to add to the launcher of razer game booster? thanks
    edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

Just TS3W.exe, which can be located in Program Files >> Electronic Arts >> The Sims 3 >> Game >> Bin.

edited June 2013
    pringtjoe wrote:

Just TS3W.exe, which can be located in Program Files >> Electronic Arts >> The Sims 3 >> Game >> Bin.

Ok is that even if i am playing with EP's :)
    edited June 2013
    I have done everything and it seems worse not better :(
  • AXYY-CMG4-JL99-GAXYY-CMG4-JL99-G Posts: 119 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I've read all of the blogs here and I see that if I am not really computer literate..I'm just done..I don't know what modes are..these cache or cc's..Is there an EZ to follow step by step guide in LAYMANS terms that I can use??/