Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's Not Gross Public Shower Station - FAIL!

I've been waiting for a public shower for the game for a very long time now.
When the It's Not Gross Public Shower Station was revealed I rejoiced. Then I quickly retracted that joy after watching a video of it in action on SimsVIP.

This is supposedly "premium" content, that we have to pay cash for to obtain, and yet the Store team couldn't even be bothered to remove the sound of a shower door opening and closing! Oh sure, Sims can now shower in the same room as each other and they wear their bathing costumes to do so BUT they still walk in from the side instead of just straight up to it from the front which would make sense, AND you can still hear the doors that no longer exist on the object!

I appreciate that the members of the Store team who create these (usually) wonderful Premium items are not machines and have feelings just like the rest of us but that does not excuse them from putting out sloppy object clones with a little bit of tweaked coding and expecting us to pay extra for it because they call it "premium".

A member of the modding community who went by the name of CyberBob created not one, but TWO functioning public showers with new animations and clothing coding LAST YEAR! One version was wall mounted for indoors and allowed Sims to shower naked and the other was a free-standing outdoor version where Sims would wear their bathing costumes. He even went so far as to code it so that if a player had Late Night installed the Sims would put on a towel after exiting the shower. All of this was FOR FREE!

You may now be asking why I'm not just using his versions in my game. Well, I am. But sadly they still suffer from the issue of being able to hear the doors when a Sim enters and the running water sound is missing BUT, and here's my point, he was a CC creator, not an EA employee! I expect better from them.
The kind of sound issues with these showers are excusable on something created by a fan of the game doing what they love, with limited tools, and distrbuting it for free. The same issues are NOT excusable when the objects have been created by paid employees with full access to all of the tools the game is created with!

Rant over.
a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
Thoughts on a new wall mode?

Comments

• KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited June 2013
    Most of the time i play with my sound off, so as not to wake my hubby, but I can see how annoying that would be! Hopefully the store team with fix this soon. There are always little things like this it seems. Sometimes they fix them and other times they do not. Meanwhile, perhaps building shower stalls will give it a more realistic feeling. I always found it annoying that sims get all bent out of shape over showers in a room, even though they have a shower door for privacy, if there is not an entire wall and door separating them they have to shoo everybody out of the room before they will shower. I hate to see some poor sim pee themselves just because they are in a public restroom.
  • ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited June 2013
    Alistu, agreed. I really think it's a gross exaggeration to call this shower "premium content."

I think the Keep Me Clean Outdoor Shower that came with Serenity Retreat is much nicer and recolors beautifully but - I'm not buying it twice.

Alistu, I have my sound effects turned down to about the 2/3 volume level and so I hadn't noticed the sounds, so obviously that one thing wasn't bothering me but the shoddy workmanship does.

We still have content with messed up textures from the base game, like the trash cans. :(
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    edited June 2013
    I too was a little disappointed that our sims have to step in from the side as it really restricts how many showers can be placed in the room. I also was hoping that the sims could shower without their swimsuits. I feel that this shower too closely resembles the Keep Me Clean Outdoor Shower that came with ST.
    rnKEhBT.png
  • MizzRoseBudMizzRoseBud Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2013
    Alistu wrote:
    The kind of sound issues with these showers are excusable on something created by a fan of the game doing what they love, with limited tools, and distrbuting it for free. The same issues are NOT excusable when the objects have been created by paid employees with full access to all of the tools the game is created with!

Rant over.

AMEN

The new shower is just a copy of the Sunlit Tides shower ... (which have the exact same sound problems as this "new" one) If you look at the two items, you will see that they just took of the button part and gave it a new name. Cheap
  • heyheybpheyheybp Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    For each sims venue, I count the items that I want and assign my own simpoint value to it, then I wait for it to go on sale and buy it only when it matches how much I think it's worth. Thanks to your post, I just took off 100simpoints from how much this venue is worth to me.
  • AlexPej79AlexPej79 Posts: 124 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Jeez, I just saw a video on Youtube, the going in noise. I got bigger things to worry about.

Thanks EA for an awesome game.
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited June 2013
    I am glad they offered this version of the outdoor shower for two reasons. First is that people have been asking for a wall-mounted one for a long time, and second is because many people don't buy the worlds so now they have a chance to get an outdoor shower, too!

I play without sound on, since I have that issue where the TV's and games are super-loud. So I didn't know about the sound issues with the outdoor showers. Even knowing about it though, I still love the ST one. I am wondering if the ST one also has sims entering from the side? I have used it a lot and have never noticed that. So if it does, I guess it hasn't been enough for it to impact my game play. If they enter from the front with the ST shower, then maybe it was an oversight that the same coding wasn't used for this shower?

If they both enter from the side, then maybe it is a basic function of showers in the base game (all the regular showers do, right?) and something the store team could not change. From what I've read about how fragile the Sims 3 game engine is and how simple things can unexpectedly break other things, I would not be surprised at all to learn they just couldn't change it, even if they wanted to.

I do hope with TS4, that they are designing it to be more flexible so that it can accommodate changes and new technology/ideas better.
  • Rinoa666AngelRinoa666Angel Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited June 2013
    Everything from that "New" set is a FAIL.Everything except for the "Bar" is old and "revamped" .The clothes we already had but they put it for different age groups.The hair we already have but they took the hat off of it!The shower we got in the Serenity Retreat but they made it shorter etc etc UGH lazy lazy lazzzzzy :-o
    I swear to god if I find all the pics of the before and afters im making a thread and pointing this out for all potential buyers to see!
  • WyrenthWyrenth Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 2014
    I almost considered buying some SimPoints to get this item, but after seeing how poorly it reviewed, I'm glad I googled it.

I can understand, to a degree, how there are certain engine limitations. Perhaps in a future patch they can address the issue; I don't imagine it would be that hard to implement, even with most of the staff working on Sims 4 content.

Failing that, maybe CyberBob has/will figure out a fix for his own? I dunno. I still need to look him up to see what he has to offer.

And if EA sees this, hopefully they walk away from it with a small lesson to apply moving forward: Our money is valuable. Google makes searching for bad stuff easy. So don't jerk us around. Put some thought and care into your work.

Yeah, I know, budget and time constraints. Upper management who has no idea what goes on in the development stages and just want to see a good bottom line. Make the game for the gamers, though, see if maybe you can dodge the golden pewp awards.