Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TMP Files in DCCache - Gurus ?

crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
Since the patch, there are many files with the extension .tmp in the DCCache folder. They seem to cause loading issues for people but there's no way to get rid of them.

My guess is that they are needed because of that launcher cap fix
Users who have a large amount of Store content installed will no longer experience their content disappearing from the launcher

I hoped that reinstalling all Store content would get rid of those but they come back.

Can we have any insight on this ?

EDIT: Made a post here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/black-screen-long-loading-times-and-tmp-files-in-dccache.html

EDIT EDIT
Hi all, we are still investigating. Can those of you having the problem let me know how many GBs of Store AND 3rd party custom content you have installed?
Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
AHQ Tutorial

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited June 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    Since the patch, there are many files with the extension .tmp in the DCCache folder. They seem to cause loading issues for people but there's no way to get rid of them.

My guess is that they are needed because of that launcher cap fix
    Users who have a large amount of Store content installed will no longer experience their content disappearing from the launcher

I hoped that reinstalling all Store content would get rid of those but they come back.

Can we have any insight on this ?

Just some info about this from me :D For me it didn't start right away when re-installing store stuff, I believe it started appearing for all .ebc files, except the 0 one, when I gotten to dcdb5 or 6
    I also tried taking the TMP files out of the folder (didn't get a missing object file error and all the TMP files are equal in size to their corresponding EBC file.

Edit: forgot to add that it regenerates after launch, haven't tried it yet to take them out and bypassing the launcher as I was downloading stuff again. Will try this probably tomorrow :D
    Also my game was still fresh after a factory reset when this happened :D
    I hope this helps shine some light to the situation :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited June 2013
    Is this what's causing my sluggish launcher issues? I never really had any issues the patch with the launcher. However since installing it, it takes forever to open and to execute anything!
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2013
    I don't know yet. Still investigating

You can try to move DCCache to the desktop and start a new game to see if it gets better.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited June 2013
    Tiki5872 wrote:
    Is this what's causing my sluggish launcher issues? I never really had any issues the patch with the launcher. However since installing it, it takes forever to open and to execute anything!
    Same here. I deleted all the duplicate temporary files in DCCache only to have them regenerate the next time I load the game. Now, I am bypassing the piece of garbage launcher to load my game and it loads immediately. Goodbye launcher!

EDIT: I own 80-90% of the store with most of it installed and I don't want it duplicated!
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited June 2013
    got to love new patches :)
    My origin id is sim2011
    edited June 2013
    Reachsims wrote:
    Same here. I deleted all the duplicate temporary files in DCCache only to have them regenerate the next time I load the game. Now, I am bypassing the piece of garbage launcher to load my game and it loads immediately. Goodbye launcher!

EDIT: I own 80-90% of the store with most of it installed and I don't want it duplicated!

Do you not get the tmp files if you bypass the launcher ?

AHQ Tutorial

edited June 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    Do you not get the tmp files if you bypass the launcher ?

Hi Crin! :D Correct. I deleted all the TMP files, and bypass the Launcher and they are not regenerated. If I forget to bypass the Launcher when loading my game, all the DCCache TMP files are back again. Deleting the folder is not an option for extended game play. This is a result of the 1.55 patch.
    edited June 2013
    So they are for the launcher only.

Did you notice anyting go missing in game when you deleted the tmp files ? If not, it's an easy solution for those of us who don't use the launcher that often.

Wonder why they had to make it so complicated.

Any reports on whether deleting those files helps with loading issues would be great.

Oh and Hi Reach. Long time no talk :)
    AHQ Tutorial

edited June 2013
    :D I agree it's a shame it is so complicated. (I was not having problems with content going missing but NOW I have a new problem with this Launcher.)

Nothing goes missing in game because the DCCache TMP files are exact duplicates of the ones that are already present. I'm in the middle of a team build that is undergoing testing so I am starting my game several times a day. So, this has been tested a lot by me. My build partner is not having this problem.

If you just delete the TMP files and start the game with the Launcher, they will be recreated.

If you delete them and bypass the Launcher, they will not regenerate and you can be playing your game in a couple minutes.
    edited June 2013
    I did have the issue that nothing shows as installed in the launcher when I had a certain amount installed but I have learned to live with that and it didn't bother me anymore. Everything was always ingame.

I was kind of excited when I saw the fix but if they solved it like this where it creates more issues than it solves, I'm not happy with it.

Hope we can get a guru in here.
    AHQ Tutorial

• MsrednotdeadMsrednotdead Posts: 9,215 Member
    edited June 2013
    Stupid question here - Do I start the game direct from the base game or the latest ep?
  • Anghara130Anghara130 Posts: 233 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I only use the launcher to install stuff and have NEVER used it to launch the game. Use the latest EP to start, there is an exe file in the game bin folder. I usually create a shortcut to it on my desktop and play windowed as my system works better that way.
  • Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited June 2013
    I noticed this issue too.
    Buggy Launcher..
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    edited June 2013
    Anghara130 wrote:
    Use the latest EP to start, there is an exe file in the game bin folder.
    I thought we were supposed to use the TS3W one?
    This is my shortcut that I use:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe"

(It's for Origin Games rather than Electronic Arts because I use the download versions)

Or doesn't it matter? I suppose, using the TS3W one just saves having to change the shortcut each time a new EP comes out?

• cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited June 2013
    Interestingly, as I was about to reload my store content, a patch appeared for store content. So updated. However the .tmp files are still generated. Either patch has changed the .ebc files such that they are now in MB not KB and I have less of them, but .tmp still generated after no 2 for me.

Yes moving .tmp to another folder made launching better. as above my experience was if avoid launcher no regeneration. I have kept them because I don't know if the game will have a crap if we add something on from the store and those .tmp files are not there.

edited to say I also use the base game executable, not sure if it matters, both ways seem to work.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2013
    The exes in the ep folders are just kind of shortcuts to the ts3w.exe that elanorbreton mentioned. So use the ts3w.exe but all work.

---

@cherpar: How big is contentpatch.package file in the contentpatch folder for you ?
    AHQ Tutorial

edited June 2013
    It's 7976 KB crinrict
    edited June 2013
    Thanks. That's the one that has been out for a while. Guess the launcher just made you redownload it for whatever reason.
    AHQ Tutorial

edited June 2013
    Oh ok sorry for the confusion
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2013
    I can't corroborate this, but another simmer said she deleted the tmp files but then had missing content. When she restarted the game, she got a notice that there was a Store patch and when she accepted she had tmp files back (although from what I am reading in this thread, it sounds like they could have been generated from using the launcher and not some kind of patch at all).

I patched last night but did not start with the launcher and I have no tmp files. I have so much Store content I'm not sure I would even notice if something was missing. I'll try to check that today. :?

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2013
    Double post from funky forum error. :P

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
    edited June 2013
    @cherpar and Tangie - I also got the notice about a store content patch and I disregarded it knowing the last store patch was released February 12, 2013 and I installed it soon after that. I remember this patch specifically because it was a very small one but it included updates for some of the store clothing to be used as outerwear for Seasons.

I can't speak for anyone else but seven times the Launcher generated the duplicated .tmp files in my game. Bypassing the Launcher with the base game executable creates no .tmp files for me and is much, much faster for loading the game.

I would have no idea about missing content - I rarely have a problem with that, but like you, Tangie, I own so much of the store content that it's really hard to tell if something has gone missing.
  • 45rpm45rpm Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited June 2013
    I will do nothing on this dccache until something is heard. My browser takes forever to comeup now and if I install anything no matter how bit or small the fastest will be 5 mins by the time it has installed and the greyed out start button has turned green.

I deleted all the items from the featured files and will do that daily now but it didnt really seem to make a difference at all
  • xLeEamzxxLeEamzx Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    So THIS is why when I load up the game the launcher takes forever and when I launch the game it goes to a black screen and I have to force quit my computer. Thanks EA. Appreciated.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited June 2013
    thanks for the information
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top