Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Pets & Weather should be PRE-included now - Discussion Thread

I am aware about people saying that they don't want Sims to ever "conflict with reality" but honestly its time that we give Sims a chance to evolve now.

Why Pets and Weather should be pre-included?

- So that they are no longer just 'optional' features
- It would give the game a more realistic and fresh outlookenhance the lives of our Sims but also their pets and the environment they live in.  For over three generations, we've had EPs that enhance the features and gameplay of our Sims but what about their Pets and the environment that they live in? They barely get anything new after each expansion pack. Once you get Pets and Seasons that's it. Only a small number of features are introduced on future expansion packs that give them 'small updates'. It would be interesting to see them get upgraded features each expansion pack along with our Sim. They need to be part of The Sims game family, not just EP features.EDIT - PLEASE NOTE:
*I'm not saying that the entire expansion pack of Pets and Seasons should be on the base game. That's just asking too much. They can be introduced in the base game and not be able to do that much at all until more EPs are installed

Comments

• sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:
    I am aware about people saying that they don't want Sims to ever "conflict with reality" but honestly its time that we give Sims a chance to evolve now.

- It would give the game a more realistic and fresh outlookenhance the lives of our Sims but also their pets and the environment they live in.  For over three generations, we've had EPs that enhance the features and gameplay of our Sims but what about their Pets and the environment that they live in? They barely get anything new after each expansion pack. Once you get Pets and Seasons that's it. Only a small number of features are introduced on future expansion packs that give them 'small updates'. It would be interesting to see them get upgraded features each expansion pack along with our Sim. They need to be part of The Sims game family, not just EP features.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. How would it save developers work? EPs aren't created in a day, it would take a looooong time to add all that to the [probably] already created base game. I could say this on every thread.....EA is a business, not a charity- the reason they don't add these things into the base game is so they can sell them separately and make more profit.

Also, the game would be ridiculously expensive, and what about the people who don't want weather and pets? Or the ones whos computers wouldn't be able to handle it (like mine)? I'd like to play sims 4 too.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2013
    I can understand people wanting to have weather included in the base game but I think anything else should be the choice of the player. After buying Pets in TS2 and 3 I might not buy it in TS4.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited June 2013
    some people don't want the option of Pets/Season in the base game.

Also they are big EP sellers for EA.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Blue9iteBlue9ite Posts: 44
    edited June 2013
    I'm not sure where you're getting that info. that Pets are big sellers, MadameLee

Also I'd like to add that it would be great to have your pets get expanded as well with your Sims like for example when a Sims 4: Showtime EP is released, you could use them for dog shows.

They could also like add animals in the base game that are not your pets. It will give the game a more realistic approach.
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited June 2013
    i agree with all these they should be in base game to be expanded upon. i'd like owls and bunnies in a pet expansion. and foxes. nice animals. otherwise all pets will give us is cats dogs and horses again. and then there will be no farm EP ect ect
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2013
    My opinion is:

Pets - No

Weather - Yes
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:
    I'm not sure where you're getting that info. that Pets are big sellers, MadameLee

Also I'd like to add that it would be great to have your pets get expanded as well with your Sims like for example when a Sims 4: Showtime EP is released, you could use them for dog shows.

They could also like add animals in the base game that are not your pets. It will give the game a more realistic approach.

Yes, that would be great, for the people that want pets in the game. My pets had no fluff so they looked terrible. I for one would not want them. The strays are more than annoying, I have since uninstalled that expansion.

If pets weren't big sellers, then why do so many people want them?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited June 2013
    From my little experience of sims, anything Pet related would have to be mostly like in a Pets EP, even your "dog shows",
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lexilou23lexilou23 Posts: 84 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I think weather should definitely be included.

As for pets, I myself would like to see it included, but we all know they won't. It's not super mandatory, and it would take a long time for the base game to be released.
  • TerryKasperTerryKasper Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:

- It would give the game a more realistic and fresh outlookenhance the lives of our Sims but also their pets and the environment they live in.  For over three generations, we've had EPs that enhance the features and gameplay of our Sims but what about their Pets and the environment that they live in? They barely get anything new after each expansion pack. Once you get Pets and Seasons that's it. Only a small number of features are introduced on future expansion packs that give them 'small updates'. It would be interesting to see them get upgraded features each expansion pack along with our Sim. They need to be part of The Sims game family, not just EP features.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. How would it save developers work? EPs aren't created in a day, it would take a looooong time to add all that to the [probably] already created base game. I could say this on every thread.....EA is a business, not a charity- the reason they don't add these things into the base game is so they can sell them separately and make more profit.

Also, the game would be ridiculously expensive, and what about the people who don't want weather and pets? Or the ones whos computers wouldn't be able to handle it (like mine)? I'd like to play sims 4 too.

This, and that. Yes, yes that's pretty much why Pets and Weather must be in the form of EPs in my opinion. Besides, if they're coming as EPs they won't be two dimensional, such as, the gardening system prior to TS3's Seasons EP was lousy and unrealistic moreover hindered later additions to it (bananas growing on apple trees? it makes less sense than eggplants with actual eggs, and not in a good way).

Sure, small collectible critters such as crows and squirrels will be fun to have in the base-game, but not big-scale, complicated pets like horses or dogs.
    TerryCorvus @ Origin ID
    Kasp @ MTS
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited June 2013
    The Sims 3 Pets was the EP the team spent most of the time on, if we take what Graham says as fact, the work started after the base game's release, being developed by an up until then, secret third EP team.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited June 2013
    I especially agree with Pets and Seasons being added to the base game gives way for more new EP's. I would love to see something new which is my main reason behind wanting Pets and Seasons in the base. That gives them two extra EP spaces for more awesomeness before they decide to move on to Sims 5.

I don't mind paying extra for Sims 4 if Pets and Seasons are included, but some players will, add to that the fact that they make more money by selling the base, Pets, and Seasons separately... it's a pretty good chance that it won't happen. But they could at least release both Seasons and Pets as the first two EP's.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited June 2013
    Or how about they just give these features their own EPs? How much do you think EA can and is willing to fit in the base game? I'd rather them expand and really give us new gameplay features in a new EP, instead of them just giving us the basics and moving on to other ideas.

And why are you so against optional features? Some of actually do not want pets or weather.
  • JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I want monkeys!!! :mrgreen:
  • CheezirationCheeziration Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2013
    To be fair, I'd be happy with them in the base game because I'd rather there be other new expansion packs besides the ones already made at least twice. Although there would have to be a checkbox under options to turn off pets and seasons for those who don't want them, like how you can adjust things now.
    With that said, it's pretty unlikely that they'd actually put them in the game, for all the reasons mentioned above. It would be nice, so they could make a new pack like the farming one or fair one people suggest instead of say, Seasons, but not probable.
    vmBGbsG.png
  • AussieAdoresSimsAussieAdoresSims Posts: 554 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weather has to be in base pack but i pets should be first expansion (this isn't purely based on my love of weather - Weather should have been added to sims 2 and sims 3 base pack)
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:

I agree, it doesn't make since to make Pets & Weather into EPs when for the previous three generations they've always been EPs. It's time for them to be included.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2013
    Here's the thing... no way am I going to basically buy all the things I've ALREADY spent a ton of money on in Sims 3 just to get some fancier graphics. Nor am I willing to play just a base game with nowhere NEAR the amount of content I am used to having with Sims 3. In order for Sims 4 to make a dent in my pocketbook it's going to have to blow Sims 3 out of the water on several fronts. The first is going to have to be a MUCH MORE EXPANSIVE base game. Weather and Pets are a MUST. Why? Because those things exist in the real world and it is just flat out WEIRD not to have them. Can I choose to not personally own any pets? Of course. But my neighbor is still likely to have a dog, I'm still going to see cats hunting birds in my neighborhood, etc. A world without these things rings hollow and they SHOULD be part of the set up to begin with.

Things like better graphics, bigger neighborhoods, the ability to travel seamlessly between neighborhoods as expansions come out and BETTER AI in the Sims themselves all need to be part of Sims 4 but that alone isn't going to get me to buy it. In order to justify the expense it's just flat out going to have to offer me MORE. So THAT is why Pets and Weather need to be included in the base game. End of story.
    edited June 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Here's the thing... no way am I going to basically buy all the things I've ALREADY spent a ton of money on in Sims 3 just to get some fancier graphics. Nor am I willing to play just a base game with nowhere NEAR the amount of content I am used to having with Sims 3. In order for Sims 4 to make a dent in my pocketbook it's going to have to blow Sims 3 out of the water on several fronts. The first is going to have to be a MUCH MORE EXPANSIVE base game. Weather and Pets are a MUST. Why? Because those things exist in the real world and it is just flat out WEIRD not to have them. Can I choose to not personally own any pets? Of course. But my neighbor is still likely to have a dog, I'm still going to see cats hunting birds in my neighborhood, etc. A world without these things rings hollow and they SHOULD be part of the set up to begin with.

Things like better graphics, bigger neighborhoods, the ability to travel seamlessly between neighborhoods as expansions come out and BETTER AI in the Sims themselves all need to be part of Sims 4 but that alone isn't going to get me to buy it. In order to justify the expense it's just flat out going to have to offer me MORE. So THAT is why Pets and Weather need to be included in the base game. End of story.

Again though, what about the people who don't want that in their game? No, I do not have to have my sims get a pet. But the strays are one of the many reasons I uninstalled it from my game in sims 3; another being that they flat out glitched my game. Not everyone wants to play a realistic world where every other person has pets.

Also, how much are they really going to raise the price? To $100? $120? After a certain number people are not going to be willing to spend that much for a game. Personally, I don't care if its the best game this world has ever seen, I am not spending that much for a video game.

Like I've said before, EA cares more about what they can do to make the most profit opposed to what we want. Not to mention, it would probably be another 2+ years before the base game would even be released if they had to add seasons and pets to it now.

WLfAA9V.png
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weather, as it is now (optional), I think should be in the Base Game. It would allow it to be better integrated with future EPs, and it leaves open an EP slot for something completely new.

Better integration of EPs and new EPs will sell well too. Just look at IP for an example of the latter.

Plus, from a gameplay point of view, weather really is a base game feature, like aging or the day/night cycle.

Pets, I do think should be an EP though.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:

Again though, what about the people who don't want that in their game? No, I do not have to have my sims get a pet. But the strays are one of the many reasons I uninstalled it from my game in sims 3; another being that they flat out glitched my game. Not everyone wants to play a realistic world where every other person has pets.

Also, how much are they really going to raise the price? To $100? $120? After a certain number people are not going to be willing to spend that much for a game. Personally, I don't care if its the best game this world has ever seen, I am not spending that much for a video game.

Like I've said before, EA cares more about what they can do to make the most profit opposed to what we want. Not to mention, it would probably be another 2+ years before the base game would even be released if they had to add seasons and pets to it now.

Hopefully EA will finally be bright enough to give us proper toggle controls for things. Like a "no zombies" toggle would have been NICE in Supernatural. TS3 Pets lets you toggle off the horses and I like that because it is beyond weird for "wild horses" to be wandering the streets of Bridgeport. We should DEFINITELY be able to turn off "stray" cats and dogs as well. For the weirdly animal-phobic who want a world where no animals exist outside the dinner menu, sure, we should be ale to turn them all off. And certainly the fact that Pets glitches your game out is no reason NOT to include them in the base game of TS4. One thing I HOPE EA has learned is to PROPERLY BETA TEST ***BEFORE*** RELEASING GAMES! AUGH! LOL OK I'm not holding my breath on that but dang that OUGHT to be a no-brainer! LOL I'm used to spending between 50 and 60 bucks for a new game and I expect TS4 will likely fall within that price range. My point is that unless EA really ups the ante with TS4 there's just really no reason for me to buy it. I'm NOT willing to buy a boring base game with nothing but "normal" human Sims that have nothing to do but go to work, date, pump out little Simlets and essentially have a typical "normal" life. I don't watch soap operas so I'm not interested in playing a game that only offers me soap opera storylines. If they go the same production route with Sims 4 that they did with 3 the same thing will happen with me that did with the 3... I didn't buy it until Supernatural was released and even then I got it with Late Night so I could at least have vampires right off the bat. And hey, I'm actually fine if they do it that way because it'll save me a lot of money! LOL
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    edited June 2013
    Pets and Seasons are cash cows. Big cash cows since they stand alone. I don't think EA will risk losing money. End of story.
  • RockoutDarciRockoutDarci Posts: 3,092 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weather should be pre-included the base game shouldn't not have a theme. The theme of the basegame should be Generations and Seasons put together if anything. People shouldn't be forced into buying pets, some simmers don't like pets.

I think that pool activities should be in the base game, things like this:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/75/671266.page#10880832

All objects and activities WOULD be available from children to elders.

- Beach ball; Sims can throw this around to each other while in a swimming pool. It could be an object bought from Buy mode.

- Marco Polo; The same game from TS2 only updated and re used here, wouldn't be that hard to do, right?

- Pool volley ball; Our sims could purchase a volley ball net that goes above the water and two poles that could connect at the bottom of the swimming pool or could be connect to the sides if the pool is wide enough. This could come in 3 sizes: Small, medium and large, giving us more flexibility.

-Ability to clean the pool; Sims could purchase an automatic machine or do it the old fashioned (and cheaper) way using a net.

Ideas by RockoutDarci:

- Water toys box; Could include objects such as water guns, water pistols, water frizbies, toys to throw at the bottom of the pool, submarine like toys that could also been thrown below and sims would need to swim to the bottom and catch.

- A Mersim costume; Like the Generations costumes, a new interaction that says "Play as mermaids" would show once clicked on the sim wearing it, they could swim around the pool like a mermaid, sometimes pausing beneath the water and waving around to the pretend fish, then swim around some more. If they have friends over, they can invite them to play mermaids so that they play and swim around together like mermaids in the pool.

- Swimming tag; Similar to the "Play tag" interaction only swimming in the water instead of running.

And so many MORE!!!! Please EA check out that petition link and get some great ideas for interactive pool activities!!!
    Love Like A Snail: An Inter.s.e.x. Story.
    thefoxsims.weebly.com/
    3825869_orig.png
  • orrasfairyorrasfairy Posts: 224 Member
    edited June 2013
    I would not hold a hope(nor do I want to) that Pets are going to be in the base game. There are too many simmers who don't care for Pets at all and too much money to be make on that Ep theme.
    Personally, I'm hoping that the S4 expansions become much more substantial and maybe we'll see pets in a Farm/Zoo Ep or something.

Weather is a different matter. I hated that it didn't come in the base game and I felt like a lot of players in the S3 community were held up waiting on the weather Ep. I couldn't get that excited for any EP before weather because I was continuously disappointed when I found out that it wasn't Seasons.

While I'm not expecting all the features the Seasons EP had. They could AT LEAST add the basic weather patterns from each season(rain, cloudy days, snow) and maybe expand on them in future Expansions(Blizzards, thunderstorms, tornado). If not then I just wish they'd make Weather one of the first EPs so we can focus on new EP ideas for S4 more quickly.
  • simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:

unless your running a ridiculously old computer than I'm pretty sure you would be able to handle weather in the base game(if you are, get a new one), its not that high of a graphics or performance requirement, and it looks like EA isn't going the realistic route with sims4(if it was realistic than you would need a very good computer)

IMO weather should be included from the start. most of sims2 seasons was included with the base game of sims3 minus weather so it really should be included. also generations. weather and generations are the only ones I see that really need to be in the base game. I'm sure most people could live without pets