Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Torcroft Island - My First World Build - by Kaztomp

Well, as it says in the title, this is my first world build, so please go easy on me with the criticisms - I can handle the truth - I just can't handle the embarrassment - lol!

Before I go any further, I would like to thank the following people for helping me with builds for my world and for testing said world. They are:-

Glenkarri - link to her Studio http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=Glenkarri

Harley2 - link to her Studio http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=HARLEY2

Nicarus - link to his Studio http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=Nicarus

Without the generosity and help of these three lovely people, my world would probably be languishing somewhere on a memory stick because I get so bored, so quickly with building homes!

Glenkarri spent many, many, many hours helping me test this world for playability and routing issues - which, fingers crossed, there appears to be none - and she also provided me with some wonderfully imaginative names to choose from when it came time to actually give my world a name! So Torcroft Island is Torcroft Island because of my bestest simming buddy Glenkarri - MWAAAH!!

Okay, on to some pics:-

TorcroftIsland.png

Torcroft2.png

Torcroft3.png

Torcroft4.png

Torcroft5.png

Torcroft6.png

Torcroft Island contains no CC - however, I did use some terrain paints created by HturnerP and Martine.

I built this medium sized island world after a reading a book by Simon Winchester called "Outposts: Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire". In it he tells the story of an island called Tristan da Cunha - and reading it, I felt transported. This was the type of island I would love to live on - happily ever after - as a recluse! This is not a tropical paradise oasis - but a harsh land, with a monster at its heart - a relatively new 2000 foot high volcano, rising close to the township's capital, Edinburgh. The islanders (known as Tristanians) make their living - and a handsome one at that - by catching and selling crawfish to the Americans.

Anyway, enough with the geography and history - MY version of this island actually looks nothing like the original - aaahhh - the glory and wonder of an over-active imagination! But the premise of the island is the same - a small fishing village - not too many occupants - not too much to do but fish and wile away the hours listening to a radio or joining your friends and neighbours for a drink at the local pub!

I hope those of you who decide to download Torcroft Island, enjoy her as much as I did making her! Please don't forget to leave a recommendation - they're always greatly appreciated :)

The link to download Torcroft is here:- http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6548521

Comments

• tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited October 2012
    Your Island looks very nice... are you sure it's your first time? Good job!
  • KaztompKaztomp Posts: 519 Member
    edited October 2012
    @tammyjo329 - LOL! Yes - it's definitely my first world, I usually build homes but was getting bored with them, so after doing some "study", I decided to give CAW a shot, and Torcroft Island is the end result of about a month's hard graft (for a newbie). I have never been so nervous as I was when uploading it to the Exchange and posting this thread!! So many other brilliant world creators out there and here's little old me daring to put up my "beginners world" - :oops: Hopefully people will go easy on me for that reason - :P
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited October 2012
    Hi! It looks very nice! It's obvious you paid attention to detail, and it shows that you spent time on terrain paint. Great result :D
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited October 2012
    For a first world, that's excellent! WAY better than my first! Keep it up! Hope to see more worlds from you!
  • NilxisNilxis Posts: 596 Member
    edited October 2012
    Wow :shock: Great job for being your first world, my first time wasn't as good as yours :mrgreen:
    edited October 2012
    Thank you all so much for the encouraging remarks :)

@ SimExpertJared - my problem was being too scared of going overboard with the terrain paint - lol! The island is actually still too green for my liking but I couldn't find the right depth of grey??? As a newbie, I guess I need to find out where all the really good paints are to be found and spend a heck of a lot more time practising layering them - the opacity levels have to be "just right" and it can be such a finicky job finding the right level of "just right" :) If that makes sense?? LOL!

@ Simmerville - sadly my "attention to detail" phobia/paranoia almost ruined this island - it really started out too structured, too organised.. then I read about the island Tristan da Cunha and thought, that's what I want - something laid back, easy going, etc., etc.. I just wish I'd learnt more about altering road textures beforehand, because the ones provided by EA just don't cut it for the type of effect I was going for... think Rinn Fada (by Conorsim) - they're what I want next time :)

@ Nilxis - thank you for the lovely comment :) I'm one of those annoying, a*al retentive people you hear so much about... you know the type - studies all the books, watches all the videos, lurks around the forums - then BAM!! Suddenly springs a creation on people, telling them it's their first - lol - well that's me - I have a morbid fear of making a fool of myself, so if I'm going to do something for the first time, it has to be done correctly the first time or it will never see the light of day :) I can't begin to describe how incredibly nervous I was when I was watching that little green bar on the Launcher creep slowly towards "upload successful" - lol!!
  • cllevettcllevett Posts: 930 Member
    edited October 2012
    Very lovely :)
    edited October 2012
    @ cllevett - thank you very much for the compliment :)
  • Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Great job for your first world-You're miles ahead of where I was when I made my first one!
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited October 2012

Nice :D. Like most of the others, your 1st easily surpasses my 1st, 2nd & possibly 3rd, and many would say some or lots of the rest, lol... :oops:

• HturnerPHturnerP Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited October 2012
    :)Hi Kaztomp You did a good job with this we all have to start some wear.As long as you are pleased with what you have done then i think it is good. :thumbup: Just remember to have fun with making it.And i think you will learn something with each world that you make.And you will get better and better with each one you have done.
    edited October 2012
    @ HturnerP - thank you so much for such wonderful feedback :) I have to be honest, I saw your name and thought "oh no, maybe I'm in trouble for using her terrain paints" :oops: - I had to double check my thread to make sure I mentioned that I had used them - whew - lol! But there was no need to worry :) Thank you btw for sharing your paints with the community - they are very helpful indeed! :thumbup:
  • HturnerPHturnerP Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited October 2012
    Kaztomp wrote:
    @ HturnerP - thank you so much for such wonderful feedback :) I have to be honest, I saw your name and thought "oh no, maybe I'm in trouble for using her terrain paints" :oops: - I had to double check my thread to make sure I mentioned that I had used them - whew - lol! But there was no need to worry :) Thank you btw for sharing your paints with the community - they are very helpful indeed! :thumbup:
    :)Thanks that's why i made them.It's nice to see how they are used in a world that some one else has made.
    edited November 2012
    Just wanted to thank all the wonderful people who have downloaded my little world and left recommendations and/or lovely comments both here and on My Page! :D

I have to be honest and say I am really surprised it has done as well as it has - there's been no issues reported and nothing broken (touch wood) - lol!

Without people willing to download, we creators would have nothing to strive for or achieve - so again, my heartfelt thanks to all of you - MWAAAHH!!! xx *hugs* xx
  • moefymoefy Posts: 251 Member
    edited November 2012
    It looks great beautiful
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2013
    Very lovely little Island but I had to alter some things to make it more playable. I altered the Subways so they were all no visitors allowed and I deleted the Camp lot and turned it into a Festival Ground because the hidden rooms were full of objects, which I couldn't see the point of. I have now moved all my usual Sims in and have had no problems. They are all going about their usual business, including my disfunctional Crumb family, who I put in all my Neighborhoods. The Island looks great covered in snow. Thanks for making it.