Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• vicaddictvicaddict Posts: 340 Member
    edited April 2013
    Thanks.

I started building the house and avoided the difficult part by starting with the layout for the greenhouse to the right :D

th_019153504_Screenshot_122_106lo.jpg

I marked the area at the very top red. This is what I think could help me makeing the edges more "smoothly". However, as soon as I delete the roof, those triangular walls are gone, too. Is there a way to create those?

I tried messing around with the floor elevation, but as far as I understand it, only the bottom floors will be "elevated", while the top floor straightens out as soon as I flatten out the lower floors. That is exactly what I don't want. I only want to create those crude walls on the upper floors.

Any ideas?

Btw the whole layout of the house doesn't convince me. It looks kind of weird. Not even close to the original pictures.
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited April 2013
    vicaddict wrote:
    Thanks.

I started building the house and avoided the difficult part by starting with the layout for the greenhouse to the right :D

th_019153504_Screenshot_122_106lo.jpg

I marked the area at the very top red. This is what I think could help me makeing the edges more "smoothly". However, as soon as I delete the roof, those triangular walls are gone, too. Is there a way to create those?

I tried messing around with the floor elevation, but as far as I understand it, only the bottom floors will be "elevated", while the top floor straightens out as soon as I flatten out the lower floors. That is exactly what I don't want. I only want to create those crude walls on the upper floors.

Any ideas?

Btw the whole layout of the house doesn't convince me. It looks kind of weird. Not even close to the original pictures.

You can use CFE on the upper floors. You need to build yourself a 'scaffold' a few tiles away from the main house the same height as the house. Do your CFE on the scaffold and transfer it to the house. You can always save your progress to your library bin and practice. If you screw it up you can bulldoze and start over with your library copy. Do a Google search for more CFE tutorials and watch/read them all. It takea a lot of practice at first to get the hang of CFE.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • DarkiDarki Posts: 145 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Hi! I've been away from this thread for a long time. I have been looking at it since I've been playing more lately, and wanted to contribute from my in-game house. Everything is subject to change, I've been building/remodeling the house since my Sim moved in. I don't have a concrete concept except that every room should have some type of function instead of just being for decoration. And of course, to be nice on the eyes and fit my sims personality. (She's a fairy!)

This used to be part of my kitchen, small dining since it was all I could afford at that time :) it's all been expanded and changed, and door has been replaced.
    screenshot_original.jpg

edited May 2013
    Darki wrote:
    Hi! I've been away from this thread for a long time. I have been looking at it since I've been playing more lately, and wanted to contribute from my in-game house. Everything is subject to change, I've been building/remodeling the house since my Sim moved in. I don't have a concrete concept except that every room should have some type of function instead of just being for decoration. And of course, to be nice on the eyes and fit my sims personality. (She's a fairy!)

This used to be part of my kitchen, small dining since it was all I could afford at that time :) it's all been expanded and changed, and door has been replaced.
    screenshot_original.jpg

Welcome back Darki. It looks lovely. I like the brick wallpaper, although, not sure it goes with the wainscoting. Unless it is supposed to be just that, wallpaper. Love the colours. I love those windows and that door too. I use them all the time.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited May 2013
    Thank you! Good to be back.

It's meant to be brick+wainscoting. I have seen it done before. It's visually appealing in real life if the brick is neatly stacked up and flat, instead of the sort-of-decayed look for brick walls. I find it fun to try different things and break the 'rules' of design.

Here's an example, though my concept is not based on this image (I just found it) but it comes close to what I did.

eating_area_-_in_great_room_brick_walls_bead_board_ceilingtongue_and_groove_ceiling__dentil_cro_LJW1_2304-036.jpg

Another great idea is to replace the wainscoting with brick, and the bricks with wallpaper.
    edited May 2013
    repost. wasn't letting me post :(
    edited May 2013
    weird... it's not letting me post.
    edited May 2013
    edit: SS!

My fairy heaven
    screenshot_original.jpg

My more dark and private area.
    screenshot_original.jpg

The entrance to my house, which has a bit of a fantasy touch on colors. It's next to the dark room, I wanted to have different themes in the house since it's habitated by my Sim and I get bored with the same thing. lol
    screenshot_original.jpg

I was wondering if you had any examples of bohemian decorating, I'm into that. I LOVED your landscaping tutorials, I've been reading most of the tutorials on the main page.

I am building another house now, I want to try the new stuff I've picked up from the forums. But I want it to be more bohemian and 'loose', not strict to a certain concept but still visually appealing and organized. I wish I could add pillows and sheets to couches, it would be so pretty!
    edited May 2013
    Darki wrote:
    Thank you! Good to be back.

It's meant to be brick+wainscoting. I have seen it done before. It's visually appealing in real life if the brick is neatly stacked up and flat, instead of the sort-of-decayed look for brick walls. I find it fun to try different things and break the 'rules' of design.

Here's an example, though my concept is not based on this image (I just found it) but it comes close to what I did.

eating_area_-_in_great_room_brick_walls_bead_board_ceilingtongue_and_groove_ceiling__dentil_cro_LJW1_2304-036.jpg

Another great idea is to replace the wainscoting with brick, and the bricks with wallpaper.

That looks great. I've never seen that before.

This thread has been acting up for quite some time. The next page doesn't show up until there are 4 or 5 posts on it. If you have posted something, and it doesn't appear to show, check the index page in Creative Corner and see who the last poster was. If you want to see it, take the address line in your browser from the last page showing and add 15 to the page identifier. That is the number directly after /quote/.
    Darki wrote:

My fairy heaven
    screenshot_original.jpg

My more dark and private area.
    screenshot_original.jpg

The entrance to my house, which has a bit of a fantasy touch on colors. It's next to the dark room, I wanted to have different themes in the house since it's habitated by my Sim and I get bored with the same thing. lol
    screenshot_original.jpg

I was wondering if you had any examples of bohemian decorating, I'm into that. I LOVED your landscaping tutorials, I've been reading most of the tutorials on the main page.

I am building another house now, I want to try the new stuff I've picked up from the forums. But I want it to be more bohemian and 'loose', not strict to a certain concept but still visually appealing and organized. I wish I could add pillows and sheets to couches, it would be so pretty!

I personally don't have anything bohemian. You might try Google by searching 'bohemian interior design'. I'm sure you will come up with lots of ideas.

I'd like to invite you to join TS3 Creators' Consortium. We are a friendly group and we all love to share our love of Sims. The link is in my siggy.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the invite, I am going to get on that after I get some rest.

I have been working on this house, it doesn't look as bohemian as I would like, but it's still a WIP. I looked at some of your landscaping tutorials and really liked them,they helped a lot!

Here's the front that I'm still working on. That window is weird, and the coloring of the outside wallpaper is a bit off for me.
    screenshot_original.jpg

I learned how to do that brown thingy in your tutorial, it was really fun to make!
    screenshot_original.jpg

floor plans
    screenshot_original.jpg

living, dining and kitchen are mashed together.
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

And I did google lots of bohemian interiors! Sadly i'm very limited by the items in game :( I'll keep toying with this house for now and see what I can create!
    edited May 2013
    P.S. I'm leaning on a modern-bohemian style.

This is beautiful so I want to share! I hope you don't mind I post these pictures. :oops:

TTBlog2.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I love the orange curtains. I'm sure you can work that into The Sims.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • SimiHendrixEXPSimiHendrixEXP Posts: 181 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hello! I took a little break from building & posting, but I recently completed this for a contest & wanted to share. It's a redecoration of Drea's Salon and Tattoo from Twinbrook - converting it into a lounge/nightclub. Enjoy! :)

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7338520

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/SimiHendrixEXP/slideshow/Build%20N%20Share%20Challenge%20200th%20Anniversary

COST: $255,391

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: 30x30 lot.
    The board of Louis Vuitton commissioned Simi Hendrix to design a lounge in a converted warehouse. Includes: valet service; stop-n-walk rope line; top floor VIP area; drink and bubble bars and light snacks; bottom floor meet-up lounge with a check-in desk, photo booth, and dressing area; hot tub grotto; outdoor bar; garden seating; VIP parking spot; Tardis booth; complimentary champagne flowing everywhere; and LV patterns throughout (the only cc patterns were simmified by Simi).

7.jpg

7.jpg.html

9995.jpg

edited June 2013
    Hello! I took a little break from building & posting, but I recently completed this for a contest & wanted to share. It's a redecoration of Drea's Salon and Tattoo from Twinbrook - converting it into a lounge/nightclub. Enjoy! :)

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7338520

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/SimiHendrixEXP/slideshow/Build%20N%20Share%20Challenge%20200th%20Anniversary

COST: $255,391

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: 30x30 lot.
    The board of Louis Vuitton commissioned Simi Hendrix to design a lounge in a converted warehouse. Includes: valet service; stop-n-walk rope line; top floor VIP area; drink and bubble bars and light snacks; bottom floor meet-up lounge with a check-in desk, photo booth, and dressing area; hot tub grotto; outdoor bar; garden seating; VIP parking spot; Tardis booth; complimentary champagne flowing everywhere; and LV patterns throughout (the only cc patterns were simmified by Simi).

7.jpg

7.jpg.html

9995.jpg

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I rarely check this thread anymore. It is so slow now. I've left you a rec. I did notice a few places where the curtains went into supposedly solid objects. You should try to avoid that. I also noticed one place where the table umbrella went through the building wall. The LV pattern looks great in black and mauve, but I think that on the curtains and the sofas in the white with multi colours, clash and distracted a bit. I love the layout. Looks like a great place for a Sim to have fun. Hope you did well on the contest.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • TSims3ManiacsTSims3Maniacs Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    CHECK MY SIMS 3 CHANNEL PLEASE! :-)http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSims3Maniacs
  • TSims3ManiacsTSims3Maniacs Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    edited July 2013

Thanks. I subscribed.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • babs3232babs3232 Posts: 19
    edited September 2013
    This is probably one of the best houses I have ever built! Check it out! I like it a lot.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7630090
    edited September 2013
    babs3232 wrote:
    This is probably one of the best houses I have ever built! Check it out! I like it a lot.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7630090

It's really hard to tell from the pictures provided with the asset on the exchange. It looks very interesting. I'd love to see some more pictures. Did you start a promotional thread?

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Edit: Hi everyone. Here is the link to the next page.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/9870/121128.page
    edited September 2013
    Welcome to page 659.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited September 2013
    Hi Merry! I took a little building break but lately have been feeling inspired, and thought I'd share my latest: a resort called Bali High. I hope you like it.

DL at: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7665637#
    Bali High Resort

Luxury AND comfort. VIP tiki huts stretch over the sea. A main tiki contains a gym with gorgeous sunset views and huge buffet. Outdoor lovers' dream, with a large pool with 2 swim up bars and hot tub. You could live outside, eating at the high-quality food stand, and napping in a lounger by the sea. Hot coals for the adventurous, cool umbrella-shaded seats for the rest. Above the lobby is a small beach bar with a nice little deck for sipping sea breezes in the sea breeze.
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Enjoy & thanks for any feedback. :)
    edited September 2013
    I took a little building break but lately have been feeling inspired, and thought I'd share my latest: a resort called Bali High. I hope you like it.

DL at: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7665637#
    Bali High Resort

Luxury AND comfort. VIP tiki huts stretch over the sea. A main tiki contains a gym with gorgeous sunset views and huge buffet. Outdoor lovers' dream, with a large pool with 2 swim up bars and hot tub. You could live outside, eating at the high-quality food stand, and napping in a lounger by the sea. Hot coals for the adventurous, cool umbrella-shaded seats for the rest. Above the lobby is a small beach bar with a nice little deck for sipping sea breezes in the sea breeze.
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Enjoy & thanks for any feedback. :)
    edited September 2013
    It looks great. I love the layout. It's a shame that all of the words you took the time to write on the pictures, can't be read on the exchange because of the navigating buttons. I left you a rec.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • yunanescayunanesca Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2013
    poke... any one here and HI anyone here.
    ~Sincerely,Yunanesca~
    My show case.
    jjqfre10.png
    click the button for my Sims 4 Creator Studio
    http://yunanesca.tumblr.com/
    edited November 2013
    Hi yunanesca. I still check, but mostly I'm at The Sims Creators' Consortium. Link in my siggy.

Stay shiny,

MerryWiddow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top