March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Falling in love very difficult so far!

Any hints, o my wise fellow simmers, on how to meet the right sims with whom one's sim might fall in love? After trying for a while, I gave up and made a married couple to have a baby. It seems much harder than Sims 2-more realistic, I guess...

Comments

• tbatchtbatch Posts: 185 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'll have to agree with you there... Longer, but more realistic.

Sims with the same traits are likely to get along. For example if they are both natural cooks they'll both enjoy a conversation about food. Where a sim that doesn't will get bored, damaging the relationship.

But then again, opposites attract aswell :mrgreen:
  • intheclear12intheclear12 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2009
    I totally agree! It took my sim about 1 week to a week a half to finally fall in love! I used to be able to do it within a few days. As for some tips, the only one I really have is in terms of finding out what age a sim is because you can't discern between young adult and adult based on looks. Use the phone to throw a party, and when you hover over the people you can invite, it tells you their age. That helped me find another young adult sim. I hope you find this useful! :)
  • renae2011renae2011 Posts: 110 New Member
    edited June 2009
    you have to be persistant. I felt the same way. just keep being friendly and flirty and eventually options like move in, go steady and propose will pop up. It does take a little while do do much longer than on TS2
  • inkstainedinkstained Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've had the most luck getting sims together by going through and alternating through all the romantic socials. Don't do the same one more than once at a time. And don't go from romantic socials to something else when you're trying to build a relationship. After you do so many romantic socials other options are available. But they don't STAY there. So at other times you have to cycle through enough to make them available again.
  • DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited June 2009
    I do find that useful-thanks. I had one sim with several romantic interests, but never an option to move in or propose. I guess that's why the "Discover Traits" reward is so useful.
  • SnickSnackSnickSnack Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Odd i manage to marry a complete stranger in a day :shock:
    Just try flirting alot and more options will pop out.. till you see confess love etc.
  • BizzairBizzair Posts: 12 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Really? I met some female sim that night I asked her to stay over and we "WooHooed" lmao. Then she went home and never saw her again.
  • KadrionKadrion Posts: 56 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a charismatic, flirty, hopeless romantic, great kisser sim with the attractive lifetime reward and the everyone's friend and celebrity charisma bonuses. She got a boyfriend in 6 actions and could propose by the 7th.
    edited June 2009
    That was my next plan-use all the appropriate traits and see what happens.
  • RiverahuntRiverahunt Posts: 138 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You need to watch the reaction of the sim at the top, and stay within the "romantic" interaction area. Every romantic action you do increases the romantic feeling of the sim you're doing it to, watch and you'll see, "thinks X is being flirty" "thinks X is being very alluring" "thinks X is irresistable" etc. You get more interaction options every time their opinion of how romantic you are increases...BUT if you start throwing in, say, friendly interactions with the romantic ones, you have to start over a bit to get back to the same romantic point.

Hope that makes some sense, just stay in the "romance" area if you're trying to romance, don't switch to "friendly" or "mean" etc.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited June 2009
    I agree ink...you have to start slow, I always start with 'get to know' first, and that will sometimes reveal traits.

Once I have them as a friend, then I start slow, flirtatous joke...then I go for the more advanced, flirt. The thing I like is just because you flirt with someone doesn't mean you have a crush and next interaction you fall in love. :roll:

I love all the flirty and romantic interactions. :lol: When the command is done, they don't just stand there like lil robots waiting for the next command...they actually look as though they are interacting even though there is no command. Once you get the ball rolling, so to speak, they take over and do things on their own. :mrgreen: Ah, ain't AI great!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • kellywestkellywest Posts: 899 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I get that its "more realistic" for the Sims to take a while to fall in love but given how fast they age (unless you turn the aging off) it's kind of annoying how long it takes and how its relatively difficult to see how close they are. They can be "good friends" or "best friends" or even "romantic interest" and still not have more than the basic flirting options. At least with Sims 2 you had the option to try to flirt more heavily and move things up a notch. You ran the risk of it being rejected but the option was there once the active Sim liked the person enough.

I'm trying not to be too complainy with this new version but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the relationship issue. I mean, if their traits make them incompatible that's one thing but even when you have two seemingly compatible Sims, it shouldn't take more than a few days of active "getting to know" and flirting to get them to move-in status or marriage proposal.

I think it was easier with the Sims 2 not only because it didnt take as long but also because that overall-relationship meter gave you a good indication of how close the two Sims were. Without that we're basically blind and have to rely on the action options we're given to tell us how close they are. Even that doesnt always help. Most times it takes five minutes of flirting back and forth to get the "massage," "touch cheek" and "make-out" option and then that eventually goes away and next time you want them to be close you have to start all over again with the flirting to get those options back (unless the Sim has the flirty trait). What's that all about? How come those options don't stay put once you get the two Sims close enough relationship-wise to want to do them?

• SalantiSalanti Posts: 327 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Really? I think it's too easy. Even with no cheats I can easily get them to fall in love and marry in six minutes. Unlike Sims 2 where it takes 2 or three dates.
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, everybody-I really appreciate it!
  • katyasmnvkatyasmnv Posts: 103 Member
    edited June 2009
    Oooh this is hard. My problem is that the interactions are so unpredictable! I wanted my sim to start a family... well not that easy. Romantic interactions change all the time! :( There was "propose marriage", I though I'll get them to move in together first. U'd think if u r ready to marry, u R ready to live together. ha Little did i know. It wasn't even their, not even once. To make things worse - "propose marriage" disappeared! I almost gave up. I was like "U know sweety, u might have to be a single mom" But then I saw marriage options and she got married as fast as it could possibly be done.

And after a few days of being married her tommy started growing... hmmm I have a feeling it's not because of pancakes :wink:
  • kellywestkellywest Posts: 899 New Member
    edited June 2009
    katyasmnv wrote:
    But then I saw marriage options and she got married as fast as it could possibly be done.

This is pretty much exactly what I've been doing and its kind of annoying. It takes so much effort to get the "propose marriage" thing to show up (and I noticed too that it seems to come up more often than "move in") that when it finally does I feel like I have to grab it when I can instead of waiting until I'm actually ready to have them be engaged.

It'd be one thing if it just took a long time to get the options to show up but the fact that it disappears almost right away after it does show up is seriously annoying. I dont like feeling like I have to grab the chance the second it shows up. It should show up and stay there for as long as the Sims are on close, romantic terms (or best-friends for the "move in" option).