Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it me, or are sims getting uglier by the base game?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Fullmetal1890PFullmetal1890P Posts: 708 Member
    edited May 2013
    Darkling wrote:
    I'm not going to jump the gun on this one. EA has been known to take liberties with their ads and trailers and then deliver something slightly different. Remember this commerical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRlLs8GmfI

I'm going to wait until more images than just the one I've seen of the actual sims to come out before I judge. Anyway, the trend with games now is the more realistic the better. I honestly think the new sims may be even more detailed (better skins, better eyes, better hair, more sliders) than the sims we have now. If not, it'd be a major step back...in which case, why would simmers willingly "down-grade" so to speak?

Yeah, but TS3 Sims do look like that... Gameplay is slightly different, but yeah, that's what they look like and what the town looks like.
  • Options
    neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited May 2013
    It's too early to judge yet. But I hope it's just concept art, they look far too cartoonish for my tastes. I am another person that prefers more realism.

What I don't understand is why people are thinking that in order for our sims to be really expressive they need to look cartoonish? Perhaps my friends and I are just particularly animated speakers but we pull all sorts of expressions and gestures while talking and are obviously very much real and not cartoons :lol: I would not want crazy over the top facial expressions for my sims, they can still look fantastic and animated while keeping a more realistic appearance.

As for the sims 2 sims versus the sims 3 sims, I much prefer sims from the sims 3 overall(albeit with custom skin and eyes).
  • Options
    popoyoyogopopoyoyogo Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    You guys are forgetting one important fact: EA is still very early in development for the sims 4 so yeah, the graphics aren't very good NOW. I think that the sims 4 will be great and the sims will look a LOT better than they do in the promo picture.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited May 2013
    Darkling wrote:
    I'm not going to jump the gun on this one. EA has been known to take liberties with their ads and trailers and then deliver something slightly different. Remember this commerical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRlLs8GmfI

I'm going to wait until more images than just the one I've seen of the actual sims to come out before I judge. Anyway, the trend with games now is the more realistic the better. I honestly think the new sims may be even more detailed (better skins, better eyes, better hair, more sliders) than the sims we have now. If not, it'd be a major step back...in which case, why would simmers willingly "down-grade" so to speak?

Yeah, but TS3 Sims do look like that... Gameplay is slightly different, but yeah, that's what they look like and what the town looks like.

I get your point but I still don't think the end product sims will look like that one partial picture. It's a advertising mock up, not an actual gameplay or CAS image so it's hard to judge what the end product will look like.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited May 2013
    orrasfairy wrote:
    -she said without having any idea how the sims 4 sims looked in game.

All I'm saying is, from the one picture they gave us, they look like Pixar versions of TS3 Sims. If that's what they're using to advertise and promote this, they're doing a pretty crappy job. Why are they going for such overdramatized cartoony looks?

Promotional pictures always look different than in game graphics. When Sims 3 came out, the sims on the front cover of the base game box looked completely different than they did in game. Also in TS2 the sims on the front of the game boxes that weren't screenshots from the game looked different from in game sims. So it is probable that picture is completely different from how sims will look in the actual game.
  • Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    edited May 2013
    kmsim15 wrote:
    orrasfairy wrote:
    -she said without having any idea how the sims 4 sims looked in game.

All I'm saying is, from the one picture they gave us, they look like Pixar versions of TS3 Sims. If that's what they're using to advertise and promote this, they're doing a pretty crappy job. Why are they going for such overdramatized cartoony looks?

Promotional pictures always look different than in game graphics. When Sims 3 came out, the sims on the front cover of the base game box looked completely different than they did in game. Also in TS2 the sims on the front of the game boxes that weren't screenshots from the game looked different from in game sims. So it is probable that picture is completely different from how sims will look in the actual game.

This is true!

LOL @ the jellybabies crying over the looks. Like everyone else has stated...we don't really see much. So it's really too early to cry over spilt milk. All I care about..is having them look more diverse. Take the sims in sunset valley in my game...some of them look related and their family trees have never crossed each other at any point. So I'd like more diversity!
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    StarunaStaruna Posts: 417 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I wanted the sims to look like at LEAST as realistic as The Sims Medieval sims. But you know what?

I'm really excited and realized that the graphics don't matter half as much as the actual game-play. If I get open restaurants and stuff like that, I can live with cartoon sims.

At least they're not in the pixar style anymore. That was my main worry.

I also hope those leaked UI pictures won't be the graphics. But I guess if the gameplay makes up for it, I'll live.
  • Options
    Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited May 2013
    Of the three sims that have been "revealed" so far, they look possibly the least cartoony of all since the TS1. Yes, the man has a rather comical expression, but this is still the Sims after all. Still better than most of the custom content for the Sims 3. So much of that looks just out of place, and a lot of the Sims are just way too over the top, or look like they all have some sort of genetic disorder. Usually from Simmers who apparently want realism, even when the Sims has never been about real life, but storytelling.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited May 2013
    From the first pic they look more animated cartooney to me but I've only seen the eyes so far.
  • Options
    Forest9124Forest9124 Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    You guys still have to remember they have just announced this so of course it will look a bit scrappy now but the team working on the sims 4 might start putting more detail and stuff into the sims latter on. Just remember it's a work in progress.
    :)
  • Options
    NoniohyeaNoniohyea Posts: 922 Member
    edited May 2013
    You know I didn't really like the graphics by the looks of it when I first saw the picture. But as I see it more and more, it's starting to grow on me. It actually might be kinda cool looking if the interactions are good
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited May 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    well considering Pixar oringal (aka Toy Story) look, compared to the newer ones (Toy Story 3 for instance)?

boy Andy (oringal movie)
    Andy_Snapshot_1.png

toy story 3 Grown-up Andy
    andy_medium.png

Pixar's animation has improved

UGH! i didnt realise he was so CREEEPY. :/
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited May 2013
    i also think theyre getting uglier.. ts3 children are frickin trolls..
    but lets not forget the sims medieval.. i love those sims.
  • Options
    CloroxcleanCloroxclean Posts: 148 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to point out that you are seeing EYES! They are eyes of Sims from the past 3 games. From side to side are The Sims , 2, then 1, Sims 4 graphics are not featured I believe. Seeing as I've only played TS1 and TS3, I prefer Sims 3 characters.

• Options
    gigiandreggigiandreg Posts: 146 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    Rhett9 wrote:
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    Not everyone likes "realistic"
    They creep me out beyond words (Mass Effect 3? No thanks, I'll just sleep in a fetal position)
    I've always liked cartoony, funny types sims, and love ts3 sims. Also, from the shot that they gave us( which is literally just half of their faces, come one, how are you really going to judge that? And it's nowhere near done! I just don't get the pessimism) I can barely judge it, but if I truly wanted to, I say the eyes are amazing and I like the direction they're going in. But again, it's almost nothing so take my judgement with a grain of salt, which a lot of people should be doing anyways.

Not everyone likes cartoony joke looking sims either.

You're right, I just don't make a thread insulting the other. :wink:

Oh my God, no one's insulting it. Stop being so defensive.
  • Options
    COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited May 2013
    Seriously. TS1, couldn't help it, but at least they tried. TS2, pretty awesome graphics. TS3, smoothed graphics created an uglier appearance than TS2 (especially TS2 with CC) and now TS4 Sims look like Pixar characters. Not looking forward to the graphics on this game.

Do keep in mind we are not given much information as of yet so please take in these words into consideration... Do you know whats the final game going to look like? No, neither of us do, its all in a matter of time so please wait, before jumping into conclusions!
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    The pixar thing.. technology has advanced... especially in the 3d animation world. Their animations will just keep getting better and to be honest I hope we get something that is near pixar quality and slightly cartoony. I don't want super realistic sims.
  • Options
    LadyWhiteFaithLadyWhiteFaith Posts: 254 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Well let's take an in-depth look:

8643271.jpg

The red-haired girl from left - Her facial structure is very smooth and the features are vivid. The eyes are really expressive, and they look improved.
    The middle guy - The facial structure is poor (same with the eyebrows), eyes are worse than the other ones.
    The black-haired girl from right - She has those common big eyes (From TS3), and the 'painted' eyebrows.

I know that the teaser doesn't reflect the actual graphics level of the game, but it's still a teaser, and it gives hints about how it would be when it's done.
    The read-haired girl looks like a sim from TS4, the guy from the middle looks like he's from TS2, and the black-haired girl looks like she's from TS3.

That's just how I see it, though.
  • Options
    peppapig1993peppapig1993 Posts: 243 Member
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I've always enjoyed the quirky looks the sims have, it is just a game after all, it isn't real life and I find them a little creepy if they look too real myself, but I'm not really reading too much into the looks of the sims. My graphics aren't perfect now with Sims 3 so smooth and interactive gameplay is way more important to me.

What's the point in having amazing looking sims, cartoony or realistic if the gameplay is restricted or poor?

And I know everyone has their opinions about the photo they released, but in my opinion I think it is just a concept about what the core focus of the Sims 4 will be about. They've particularly said 'expressive' and a 'deeper connection' with the most 'charming' sims ever. Each of them show deeper expressions which will hopefully just mean that they have even more personality which won't just affect how they do things but actually affect their lives as a whole. I just want more interaction and a more wholesome experience!
    Origin ID: zobosims
  • Options
    mosneakersmosneakers Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I think pixar graphics would be an improvement. Either that or Dreamworks. Think princess Fiona from Shrek :D

30j1e68.jpg