October 16 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Different male and female animations/More indepth traits system

Comments

  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,001 Member
    edited May 2013
    If they could do gender differences but have a toggle switch on the options menu for it. That way it makes everyone happy.

    Come on guys its not that big of a deal. Gender differences are natural and not a bad thing.

    I think if EA researches actual physical differences like in a scientific or educational way and uses what they find in the game that would be great. That's not offensive, that's facts and science. But if they say have all female sims play with their hair when talking or constantly sticking one hip out that's stereotypical or a male scratching himself that's bad too.

    But otherthings such as how men spread their legs when they sit most of the time, that should not be offensive, because there is a good reason behind it, its for comfort of man parts. But men don't always sit like that, if in a professional setting they cross legs or sit like a school kid with feet closed and on the floor. Women cross legs to hide their areas too, that comes from manners and when women always wore dresses, so people can't see up them. That should not be stereotypical, that's history and reality.

    That's just like how women tend to use our hips to carry things (babies,baskets,boxes), because we have wider set hips than men. Men tend to have more problems carrying things on their hips because they tend to not be built with wide hips.

    I sit with my legs open cos that's comfortable -- in the same way that sitting with my legs crossed is also comfortable. In the same way that plenty of men sit with their legs crossed AND open at various times. How one sits has as much to do with class upbringing and social situation and also the... subconscious or conscious signals people may be trying to send through their body language, rather than limited to mere physiology.

    Also, physiology is not gender. You could make that argument, lol but then again you'd also have to make another, because you're dealing with a principle there and principles are universal. So you'd have to make this argument: all eagles are fearless and all chickens are constantly afraid. Which of course is false. In other words, what you're doing is stereotyping body parts -- associating one specific personality trait to a specific body part. It's incredibly offensive, not to mention stupid, this constant propagating of restrictive social norms which you would choose to inflict onto everybody.

    I always have to ask, what character trait does my left elbow have? :P

  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,107 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ah well. Let them all look the same, act the same, move the same. Their personalities are mostly in my mind anyway.
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,001 Member
    edited May 2013
    This tendency to stereotype body parts, and how stereotyping results in gross harm, is usually most clearly understood by white liberals, when the subject is racism. I still have yet to develop an analogy which works for people of color when the subject is sexism, and apologies for that. Anyway, white liberals, this is for you:

    Black folks have been stereotyped for years because of their physiology. Big lips, big noses, funny hair -- clearly *those folks* deserve second class status. Woo, and the black women with their booties, clearly they won't ever turn any man down for a woohooty call. Why, they are just begging for it merely by existing.

    Do you get the problem now, or shall I continue? :cry: I don't have much patience for deconstructing your sexism world view, but I'll try.
  • ninabonita4ninabonita4 Posts: 54 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think that we should be able to choose how our Sims act. Like set their gait, how they carry themselves, facial expressions, even how they carry their hands. This way there is no stereotyping. I'm an actor so I observe these things about people and think they should be incorporated into gameplay. This way every Sim will be unique in how they move and not look the same. I don't know about you guys, but when I have Sims who look almost the same I can't always tell them apart because they all move the same. (granted, this could be because of me)

    I think it would also be cool to control their emotions more. Like when there is a fire everyone goes to it and screams even if you tell them to move. If we could alter their personalities more then maybe some Sims would try and stop it and others would run. Those are things that I want, personally, but I guess we just have to wait and see.
  • Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2013
    that's great! the only problem I could see with controlling their gait, is it would be hard to program that. They would have to have many different ways of operating, which would take up space and time and delay the game some. But its a great idea I just don't know how easily it could be done.

    Personally I think a toggle swich in options would solve the problem. if gender diffrences and movements were on, things would be different according to gender, and if it was off it would continue like it always has been.

    also personally I think its offensive to be considered the same in everything. Im not the same as a man, I don't think the same, act the same, or move the same. Were very different. Either way someone is going to be offended. Also TS4 is just a game, it does not mean anything. It has no influence on RL
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,213 Member
    edited May 2013
    Disagree completely with the OP. the different animations should be trait based NOT gender based. I too prefer the gender neutrality of the Sims. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited May 2013
    I honestly can't stress how much I disagree with the people suggesting gender differences. Gender neutrality was something they did an absolutely spectacular job of in TS3, especially with the base game and expansion packs. But I guess they should just toss that out the window because some people want gender differences to be hardcoded into the game.
  • simbilN99simbilN99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited May 2013
    The animations should be based on body type and shape not gender. I'm hoping we can do a lot more in this area with CAS.

    The trait system should be allow for more complex behaviors and interactions. Smarter sims would help. :mrgreen:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,107 Member
    edited May 2013
    OH! Then how about a Rugged trait? Or a Delicate trait? :lol:

    Is that a compromise or would it be insulting? Not wanting to get offensive at all- probably it could be put better. :)

    And I can't honestly stress how tired I am of the guys squee-ing and prancing into the girls arms. But, if it were trait based then there could be something, anything that would be in place to stop that. Just can't handle my manly Sims going all squishy sometimes. The ones that aren't like that in my mind, sure. Let them squee and do their little dance. :)
  • krissy2701krissy2701 Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    i think that they should have more custom body types everyone shape the same
  • renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    edited May 2013
    I disagree with sticking a certain way of acting onto a Sim just because of their gender. Like some have suggested, maybe they can add a "Delicate" or "Rough" trait, so that way they can be assigned onto a female or male sim at the creator's discretion. But we have to remember that what is "femenine" or "masculine" is not homogeneous throughout the world. The average Western man may act a certain way, as well as the average Western woman, but that does not mean that they all do.

    Labelling these traits as "girly" or "boyish" can be seen as derrogatory, too, because they are still associating gender with actions and attitudes.

    Just my two cents.

    -r.
  • Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2013
    But currently the sims3 is gender confused. The point mentioned above about male sims squeeling and running into a girls arms, I have never seen a man do that, they may run into a girls arms but not squeal!! Nothing can be completely neutral without being a robot, with no emotion or personality. Ive seen my female sims with the athletic trait when they gain muscle, do the arm flexing thing, which ive only seen RL female body builders do. So it is not neutral currently. The more we want personality and diverse sims the more it will have to go away from being neutral. Also men stand up to pee in the game while women sit, does every RL man stand to pee? no! but that's not something that is bothering to you?

    Would the toggle switch idea be a problem? If we could somehow turn on gender specific movements and traits or turn it off?
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2013
    just picture a "male" and "female" sim standing side by side or moving, they are identical, short hair,the female has small chest is is muscular, with masculine features. How do you determine the difference between them, besides names (think of a nonplayable sim)? Think of the same thing in RL, how do you tell between a male and a female?
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • Morbida3Morbida3 Posts: 17 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Chimp2678 wrote:
    Yes, agreed! I think male and female body languages, gestures, facial expression, walking, etc should be different, not so similarly. Yes, their traits should be a bit different and change during they grow up. Guess we will see about that. :)

    Disagree on the first part, agree on the second. One thing that I like about the Sims is that there is very little difference between the genders inherent in the game. (Essentially just with pregnancy.) I would not, however, be adverse to having a couple of additional traits which could be used for those who want their sims to evince traditional gender role traits (or, for that matter, for those who want their sims to exhibit cross-gender traits. For example, a "macho" trait could make a sim do things like straddle a chair backwards, and stand within another sims comfort zone. A "girly" trait might make a sim flip his or her hair, or simper.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 8,301 Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the poster who said that traits weren't fully explored in sims 3. I'd love to see this in sims 4. Plus is they're going to keep the LTR, please let all of them work. Example, fast learner hasn't worked from day 1. :roll:
    "Nothing stinks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you are wrong." :p
  • CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 973 Member
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Here are some more differences between males and females. They are real and people shouldn't get all bent out of shape because yes, males do act differently and move differently than females!

    Example: When you drive if you are female, I bet you don't lean forward over the wheel, never, but some men do..it's a man thing.

    You can see them pratically laying over the steering wheel.

    Actually, I've seen the opposite is true

    Or I bet you don't turn the wheel with the palm of your hand do you? No, It's a man thing.

    You don't leave the toilet seat up, you replace the toilet paper on the roll..no doubt..but unless a male is a neat freak..they don't, they never even think about it!

    Toilet seat, valid. I think the toilet roll replacement thing is false though

    I'm just not speaking about my hubby... :mrgreen: I know many males in friends and family etc..and they all basically behave the same way.

    Way to stereotype everybody

    They don't stand like women, talk like women or make gestures like women. They make fun of women that roll their heads when in arguments, which is a female gesture, etc.

    Valid

    Let's face it, we are different.

    Valid

    As for the counting thing, never seen anyone start thumb first
    But yes I agree with OP, and you saying the genders should have different animations
  • Kellieann123Kellieann123 Posts: 507 Member
    edited May 2013
    I miss the "turn ons" and "turn offs" system as well... I really liked those.
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

    Little things..I also don't count out something with my thumb first, then my fingers..like when people are giving reasons for something.

    That is a man thing..one..hold out thumb, two..hold out pointer. Females usually don't express their reasons that way if they are going to use fingers to count them..they start with the pointer.

    Human behavior and differences between the sexes are real..and I'm so tired of all this Politically Correct, nonsense.

    Men also walk sometimes with the fist curled slightly, maybe they don't know what to do with their hands if they aren't carrying anything..but women normally don't walk that way. :wink:

    Women cross legs when they sit..bad habits, some men do too and that's all good..but having several males in my family most of them sit down with legs far apart, slouched..taking up too much of the couch.

    Let's not play PC this time..make it real.

    Are you kidding me? Seriously? I didn't think there is a certain gender attached to counting, or like in your other post, driving, or how we lean for goodness sake. This is all fine if you were only referring to yourself, but referring to the whole gender, or even just one fourth, a fifth, a twenty-fifth, .1% of it is ridiculous and complete nonsense. So many different things just between one male and male or female and female, you can't just tack something on as if you had the answers to the universe. Guess what? I do drive like that, palm open, but lay back a little more on the seat. Is it now suddenly that women drive like that? No. It isn't. When I count, I don't use my hands, I don't have to. Is it a woman thing? No, it isn't. It's not even about being politically correct, it has more to do with the pure.. (How do I say this without being too offensive?).. lack of sense in what you said. It literally stunned me into a silence sitting here with my phone in my hand (Don't worry though, women only hold phones in their right hands. It's a feminine thing :wink: ). I'm sorry, but there is almost nothing that I have been so dumbfounded by on these forums than what you just posted, and couldn't disagree more if I wanted to.
  • SkeldaSkelda Posts: 15,280 Member
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Here are some more differences between males and females. They are real and people shouldn't get all bent out of shape because yes, males do act differently and move differently than females!

    Example: When you drive if you are female, I bet you don't lean forward over the wheel, never, but some men do..it's a man thing.

    You can see them pratically laying over the steering wheel.

    Or I bet you don't turn the wheel with the palm of your hand do you? No, It's a man thing.

    You don't leave the toilet seat up, you replace the toilet paper on the roll..no doubt..but unless a male is a neat freak..they don't, they never even think about it!

    I'm just not speaking about my hubby... :mrgreen: I know many males in friends and family etc..and they all basically behave the same way.

    They don't stand like women, talk like women or make gestures like women. They make fun of women that roll their heads when in arguments, which is a female gesture, etc.

    Let's face it, we are different.
    I disagree completely. I know when I count I start with my pointer, and it also annoys me when I go into the bathroom and the seat is up, especially public ones. Eww.You can't just assume everything that you are, people are different, all of us, and to base things off sexes would be unfair to those people. I'm a pretty feminine guy, and it would really bother me to see my Simself forced into to stereotypes. I do agree with the "Dainty" and "Rugged" traits, though, I wouldn't mind that. And, realistically, different animations for all traits would bloat the game up, so I'm not sure that would work.
  • Kara16KatherineKara16Katherine Posts: 19
    edited May 2013
    I think that it's a wonderful idea! It would also be nice if girls can have body hair and that you can shave.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,124 Member
    edited May 2013
    -Different walk styles depending on personality and current mood, although there are some for current mood but to me not as in depth as it could be for other scenarios. Different walks would further help distinguish one sim from another.(We all walk differently and at different paces too) Ability to change style of walk anytime too.

    WALKING STYLES
    -The happy bouncy walk, positive happy-go-lucky personality
    -The drag your feet walk, move slowly through life, depression
    -The pigeon-toed walk
    -The sexy strut (Check me out!)Flirty, Hopeless Romantic, Great Kisser sims also why does Great Kisser don't have anything special they can do like making kissing faces to interests as pick up interaction and blow kisses. Other sims could do this as well but only when at an appropriate relationship status without getting rejected.
    -The attitude walk, heavy steps (Tough guy/girl style of walk)
    -A relaxed laid back kind of walk
    -The confident walk, head held high, shoulders back, chest puffed out
    -The brisk jogging walk
    -The center of attention walk (Catwalk)

    These suggestions could be for either gender but it wouldn't hurt to have maybe two variations to it. One feminine and one masculine and let the players decide which gender to use the walk style on. I don't care how other people play. What matters is how I play. But I really do hope for walk styles because I think it would help bring more personality and depth also to TS4 sims.
    561519-DTS.jpg
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,856 Member
    edited May 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    OH! Then how about a Rugged trait? Or a Delicate trait? :lol:

    Is that a compromise or would it be insulting? Not wanting to get offensive at all- probably it could be put better. :)

    And I can't honestly stress how tired I am of the guys squee-ing and prancing into the girls arms. But, if it were trait based then there could be something, anything that would be in place to stop that. Just can't handle my manly Sims going all squishy sometimes. The ones that aren't like that in my mind, sure. Let them squee and do their little dance. :)

    This is a good idea. :-) I do like the idea of having mannerisms be trait based, just not gender based. But a Rugged or Delicate trait that you can give to either gender would be fine with me.

    Deshong04 wrote:
    -Different walk styles depending on personality and current mood, although there are some for current mood but to me not as in depth as it could be for other scenarios. Different walks would further help distinguish one sim from another.(We all walk differently and at different paces too) Ability to change style of walk anytime too.

    WALKING STYLES
    -The happy bouncy walk, positive happy-go-lucky personality
    -The drag your feet walk, move slowly through life, depression
    -The pigeon-toed walk
    -The sexy strut (Check me out!)Flirty, Hopeless Romantic, Great Kisser sims also why does Great Kisser don't have anything special they can do like making kissing faces to interests as pick up interaction and blow kisses. Other sims could do this as well but only when at an appropriate relationship status without getting rejected.
    -The attitude walk, heavy steps (Tough guy/girl style of walk)
    -A relaxed laid back kind of walk
    -The confident walk, head held high, shoulders back, chest puffed out
    -The brisk jogging walk
    -The center of attention walk (Catwalk)

    These suggestions could be for either gender but it wouldn't hurt to have maybe two variations to it. One feminine and one masculine and let the players decide which gender to use the walk style on. I don't care how other people play. What matters is how I play. But I really do hope for walk styles because I think it would help bring more personality and depth also to TS4 sims.

    I really like your ideas about different types of walks. I'd add that different stances would be nice as well. Like maybe you could choose your sims' default idle stances. To me, the main thing is that neither gender should be excluded from walking, acting, or standing a certain way. It would just create too many problems.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,124 Member
    edited May 2013
    I actually think it would be so neat to have a rugged male/female sim. So I definitely agree about continuing having traits genderless.

    In fact I hope if they are still using the trait system, that rugged is one of them.
    561519-DTS.jpg
  • UtopiaUtopia Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't mind it being options we can choose to customise a sim, but these options should be available to both genders. I am not a stereotypical woman, I prefer to sit with legs wider apart, crossed legs are too uncomfortable, I don't walk in a ladylike manner and to be honest I just don't behave as feminine as my sisters. My one sister drives as aggressively as a man, though in other ways she is perhaps by far the most feminine of us all perhaps. I would like the option but its not something I want forced down my throat.
    Mysticalmaid
    <3 Tweet me @samwitts2 <3
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think that it's a wonderful idea! It would also be nice if girls can have body hair and that you can shave.

    Are you even aware what the suggestion was?

    The OP's suggestion was to add more gender differences, not less. Your suggestion isn't bad, but it doesn't go with what the OP wanted.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top