Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Players Get to Beta Test TS4 Like They did Sim City, Public Invite? Aug?

I was just wondering if EA was going to go that route? Players could sign up and play the new Beta of SC long before it's release. There was public invites everywhere, and in EA's VIP news letter for that game.

I am hoping in Aug. not only will we see the first trailer..(I hope) and fansites get to go see how things work in the game..and report back! but the public gets to beta test since it is already announced. Like they did for SC. :lol:
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    The reason why SC got a public beta is because of the online aspect of the game they had to stress test the servers. Which failed. I'm sure they will likely use their in-house or contracted testers.

So.. probably not :(
  • DailycrumbDailycrumb Posts: 286 New Member
    edited May 2013
    they'll use their special group of sims fans :P
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited May 2013
    Only their new Besties will get to from what I heard.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Only their new Besties will get to from what I heard.

Yeah, when I listened to the conference, I thought maybe those people..cough, cough, Curtis and others would be the ones beta testing and in the 'inner' circle.

Curtis is a fun guy to watch..he's so hyper..but I'm not sure I want him telling EA what he thinks all the fans want in TS4. :shock:

After all, he has never asked a hard question, he has always said, great, great, awesome..just like Ryan.. :shock:

ETA: What I fear is the fansites they picked aren't real down on TS3 and lap up everything about it..aka..Curtis and others..and if they influence what goes into TS4 then we get TS3.102 instead of a return to Sims 2 style gameplay and fun! Just more rpging and collecting and focus gets off the Sim and back on to the 'casual' game mode of TS3. :x
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    The yibsims are basically a constant fan event. Doubt they will beta test. We will likely get good information from them periodically but it would be silly to give them an advance copy.
  • DailycrumbDailycrumb Posts: 286 New Member
    edited May 2013
    would be rude to the rest of us fans
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited May 2013
    Probably yes or no.
  • UtopiaUtopia Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think this is something a game as complex as The Sims needs to be honest. There are so many different play styles it's no wonder things get missed sometimes. (I'm not so forgiving about reported bugs that don't get fixed so don't take me for a fangirl). On EA's part however, I can understand their reluctance because they would want the highest confidentiality and leaks are such an issue with high profile games. They know gamers get a lot of pleasure from discovering new things which would be spoiled by leaks.

That said, I believe a game of this magnitudes would need a solid fortnight playtesting to really thrash those bugs out. Different testers would take different paths (for me, playing generationally often uncovers a lot of issues, some issues don't begin to occur until after a certain amount of gameplay (chat jump bug in TS2 anyone? Disappearing tombstones, unlinked family trees/genetics, pregnancy choking death). Routing issues are more likely to be found after a longer play test period too. Annoying stuff could be nipped in the bud quicker in addition. The weighting of how long it takes to do things in Sims 3 is pretty poor IMO. This is much less fun for me.

I wouldn't be surprised, but will be disappointed if they don't do an open beta (2 days with extremely short notice is not enough!)
    Mysticalmaid
    <3 Tweet me @samwitts2 <3