The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 27 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Mow The Lawn!

«1
I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

Comments

  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,596 Member
    edited April 2013
    While I understand you want the realism in the game, and that some might want, this is one thing I do not want in the game. Much like vacuuming and dusting take up way too much free time in real life, mowing the lawn is no better. In fact it's one of the things I'd like to escape from. :lol:

    Though I'm sure you'll find players with the opposite opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, just not one for me.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    While I understand you want the realism in the game, and that some might want, this is one thing I do not want in the game. Much like vacuuming and dusting take up way too much free time in real life, mowing the lawn is no better. In fact it's one of the things I'd like to escape from. :lol:

    Though I'm sure you'll find players with the opposite opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, just not one for me.

    I do agree that mowing the lawn would be time-consuming. But perhaps if they include it in the game (even though the probably won't :cry: ) you could use buy a Lifetime Happiness Reward like "Forever Mowed Lawn" or something like that. or maybe your maid or butler would do it for you. That's what I would like to see. A maid mowing the lawn. :lol:
  • gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited April 2013
    How about this for an idea.

    Let it be store content. Then those who want it in their game can download it, and those who don't will not have to put up with it.

    I don't even mow my own lawn!
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    gayars wrote:
    How about this for an idea.

    Let it be store content. Then those who want it in their game can download it, and those who don't will not have to put up with it.

    I don't even mow my own lawn!


    OOOO!! That's a really smart idea! :D
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,596 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    While I understand you want the realism in the game, and that some might want, this is one thing I do not want in the game. Much like vacuuming and dusting take up way too much free time in real life, mowing the lawn is no better. In fact it's one of the things I'd like to escape from. :lol:

    Though I'm sure you'll find players with the opposite opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, just not one for me.

    I do agree that mowing the lawn would be time-consuming. But perhaps if they include it in the game (even though the probably won't :cry: ) you could use buy a Lifetime Happiness Reward like "Forever Mowed Lawn" or something like that. or maybe your maid or butler would do it for you. That's what I would like to see. A maid mowing the lawn. :lol:

    that LTR is a pretty cool idea. Now, if we had gardeners (or maid or butler like you said) we could hire to do this in game, I wouldn't mind this at all. Just like real life, I hate doing it myself (unfortunately in real life I have to :( ). The other concern I have is how would this work graphically? The different levels of grass if they'd done visually where you can tell might be too taxing for the game.

    I'm sorry I'm coming across so negative on this idea. It's really not a bad idea, it's just I've actually thought about it before, but never really discussed on the forum, and kind of already had mentally set up reasons why this would be difficult. Now I feel like I'm taking that all out on you, again sorry for that :cry:
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • linklover1o1linklover1o1 Posts: 584
    edited April 2013
    I'd like it. My Sims have to much free time already. Maybe there could be a new death with it, "Lawn Monster." It kills you after you don't mow the lawn for a LONG time. The ghost could have gnome like coloring (Questions that will never be answered :shock: ).

    I love the idea of mowing lawns!
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    While I understand you want the realism in the game, and that some might want, this is one thing I do not want in the game. Much like vacuuming and dusting take up way too much free time in real life, mowing the lawn is no better. In fact it's one of the things I'd like to escape from. :lol:

    Though I'm sure you'll find players with the opposite opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, just not one for me.

    I do agree that mowing the lawn would be time-consuming. But perhaps if they include it in the game (even though the probably won't :cry: ) you could use buy a Lifetime Happiness Reward like "Forever Mowed Lawn" or something like that. or maybe your maid or butler would do it for you. That's what I would like to see. A maid mowing the lawn. :lol:

    that LTR is a pretty cool idea. Now, if we had gardeners (or maid or butler like you said) we could hire to do this in game, I wouldn't mind this at all. Just like real life, I hate doing it myself (unfortunately in real life I have to :( ). The other concern I have is how would this work graphically? The different levels of grass if they'd done visually where you can tell might be too taxing for the game.

    I'm sorry I'm coming across so negative on this idea. It's really not a bad idea, it's just I've actually thought about it before, but never really discussed on the forum, and kind of already had mentally set up reasons why this would be difficult. Now I feel like I'm taking that all out on you, again sorry for that :cry:

    Hahaha don't worry. I completely understand your point of view. It may probably tend to make the game lag a bit. Maybe leave out seeing how much the grass grows? Perhaps the Sims could just get the "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet about a week or so after the lawn has been mowed.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,596 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    While I understand you want the realism in the game, and that some might want, this is one thing I do not want in the game. Much like vacuuming and dusting take up way too much free time in real life, mowing the lawn is no better. In fact it's one of the things I'd like to escape from. :lol:

    Though I'm sure you'll find players with the opposite opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, just not one for me.

    I do agree that mowing the lawn would be time-consuming. But perhaps if they include it in the game (even though the probably won't :cry: ) you could use buy a Lifetime Happiness Reward like "Forever Mowed Lawn" or something like that. or maybe your maid or butler would do it for you. That's what I would like to see. A maid mowing the lawn. :lol:

    that LTR is a pretty cool idea. Now, if we had gardeners (or maid or butler like you said) we could hire to do this in game, I wouldn't mind this at all. Just like real life, I hate doing it myself (unfortunately in real life I have to :( ). The other concern I have is how would this work graphically? The different levels of grass if they'd done visually where you can tell might be too taxing for the game.

    I'm sorry I'm coming across so negative on this idea. It's really not a bad idea, it's just I've actually thought about it before, but never really discussed on the forum, and kind of already had mentally set up reasons why this would be difficult. Now I feel like I'm taking that all out on you, again sorry for that :cry:

    Hahaha don't worry. I completely understand your point of view. It may probably tend to make the game lag a bit. Maybe leave out seeing how much the grass grows? Perhaps the Sims could just get the "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet about a week or so after the lawn has been mowed.

    Leaving out the graphics part and replacing it with just a moodlet would no doubt help a lot. I could go for that. I just have to wonder, with as slow as our Sims can be to do anything, it would take all day for them to mow the lawn. Need that relativity mod!
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    edited April 2013
    It could work like laundry. You only have to mow the lawn if there is a lawnmower on the lot.
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    It could work like laundry. You only have to mow the lawn if there is a lawnmower on the lot.

    That makes a lot of sense! Then other Sims won't get the "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet. :D
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,596 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    It could work like laundry. You only have to mow the lawn if there is a lawnmower on the lot.

    That makes a lot of sense! Then other Sims won't get the "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet. :D

    Perfect application of ideas to the obstacle I was thinking of.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

    It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

    So, this isn't actually technically possible.
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

    It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

    So, this isn't actually technically possible.

    Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

    It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

    So, this isn't actually technically possible.

    Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.

    And what's to stop them from getting the same benefit from mowing the beach, desert sand, random rock, the inside of a tomb, or something like that?
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited April 2013
    In one of the first videos advertising Sims3 there was shot of a sim mowing a lawn.

    Wish i could remember which one and i would share the link but like i said its been a long while.


    Seems no sim actually mowing but does have a lawn mower out front.
    Being positive does not mean ignoring the negative. Being positive means overcoming the negative
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)
    Definite yes to this, but as store CC set. Make several lawnmower models be available as a separate premium item AND part of a larger farm oriented set. i.e. introduce another farm themed set to compliment the Country Living set. Sims could cut their grass, farm crops, make hay bundles, or look for lawn mowing/farming opportunities at their neighbor's homes around the hood.

    Even better, expand mowing the lawn with more grounds maintenance equipment. Or even add farm based machinery like in Farming Simulator 2013.

    http://www.farming-simulator.com/#panel1-3
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

    It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

    So, this isn't actually technically possible.

    Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.

    And what's to stop them from getting the same benefit from mowing the beach, desert sand, random rock, the inside of a tomb, or something like that?

    Well maybe it could be limited to a Residential Lot, if that's even possible. :lol: And you know how the sprinkler waters only a certain area? maybe that could be the same with the lawn mower. Then your Sims won't have to spend the entire day mowing the lawn. Also, then players can put the lawn mower to mow a specific area so they won't be mowing rock or whatever.
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh yes please! I would love my sims to have a lawn mower! Also, farm tractors for my sim farmers would be awesome. :D
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,251 Member
    edited April 2013
    Agree, OP. I no longer want terrain paint to be dormant. It should make grass grow..I see the blades and so do the Sims.

    I miss the days my Sims had to trim the hedges..loved them for my creepy, snarly looking spooky houses, yards. I miss weeds appearing when water puddles were on the ground.

    Remember? When a Sim or dog used the bathroom out side, weeds appeared.. :twisted: A reason to get my lazy Sims up and do something.

    I used to place lots and lots of hedges on my lots if they had live in Sims that were there to 'work' for the family..aka, housekeeper, butler, servants etc.

    I miss the gardner..stayed all day until dark.. :twisted: then my Sims didn't have the money to pay them.. :P good times!

    I used to buid outhouses for my Sims to use..yeah they were very poor and just laugh my socks off when it leaked and they had to pick the weeds everywhere. Man, I miss aspiration failure when they couldn't stand their enviornment. :twisted:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

    It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

    So, this isn't actually technically possible.

    Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.

    And what's to stop them from getting the same benefit from mowing the beach, desert sand, random rock, the inside of a tomb, or something like that?

    Well maybe it could be limited to a Residential Lot, if that's even possible. :lol: And you know how the sprinkler waters only a certain area? maybe that could be the same with the lawn mower. Then your Sims won't have to spend the entire day mowing the lawn. Also, then players can put the lawn mower to mow a specific area so they won't be mowing rock or whatever.

    That solves the problem nicely, to a degree ^^

    Just, meh. I know how this will turn out... EA adds it, people will complain because, while mowing on their lawn, the grass doesn't actually grow or they'll complain they can mow off the grass. Not adding this, people complain they can't mow. All adding it would ultimately be doing is trading one set of complaints for another.

    That's why I'm hoping they solve the grass issue in Sims 4.
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited April 2013
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    While I understand you want the realism in the game, and that some might want, this is one thing I do not want in the game. Much like vacuuming and dusting take up way too much free time in real life, mowing the lawn is no better. In fact it's one of the things I'd like to escape from. :lol:

    Though I'm sure you'll find players with the opposite opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, just not one for me.
    you wouldn't have to mow it :o i guess they could add a grass floor tile that you can place for forever short grass. i would love my Sims to be able to mow grass or cut it with scissors. they should do vacuuming to :/ relativity is your best friend and gives you plenty of time. you can even play it in real time if you wish
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

    It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

    So, this isn't actually technically possible.

    Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.

    And what's to stop them from getting the same benefit from mowing the beach, desert sand, random rock, the inside of a tomb, or something like that?

    Well maybe it could be limited to a Residential Lot, if that's even possible. :lol: And you know how the sprinkler waters only a certain area? maybe that could be the same with the lawn mower. Then your Sims won't have to spend the entire day mowing the lawn. Also, then players can put the lawn mower to mow a specific area so they won't be mowing rock or whatever.

    That solves the problem nicely, to a degree ^^

    Just, meh. I know how this will turn out... EA adds it, people will complain because, while mowing on their lawn, the grass doesn't actually grow or they'll complain they can mow off the grass. Not adding this, people complain they can't mow. All adding it would ultimately be doing is trading one set of complaints for another.

    That's why I'm hoping they solve the grass issue in Sims 4.

    And if they do solve it, maybe there will be lawn mowers? :wink: It is true, people will probably complain about mowing on rocks, sand, and etc. But, I do think it will make the game a bit more realistic, even though it has its ups and downs with the painted terrain. :?
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited April 2013
    I like it, it's a cool little tidbit, but I think it defeats the purpose if it really isn't going to cut grass. Like you have already discussed, grass isn't much a possibility at this point. And it just seems like it doesn't quite... convince me. but if they do, good on yah :D
  • GlennGnerdGlennGnerd Posts: 272
    edited May 2013
    Are you talking about those jet powered lawnmowers you see on youtube, both riding and push? I could see this working well in the gardener profession. Large flat plots of land, more or less fashioned in the same way as a normal garden, would be allocated for grass to be planted.

    sorry edits...
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2013
    GlennGnerd wrote:
    Are you talking about those jet powered lawnmowers you see on youtube, both riding and push? I could see this working well in the gardener profession. Large flat plots of land, more or less fashioned in the same way as a normal garden, would be allocated for grass to be planted.

    sorry edits...

    Maybe something like these:

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi_w9iPA9Bf98Nw0XdFLpnjjfwb4ywwUwS7vFn2w_IRq24PJaldA

    3140230277u_0x424x360f?1345148646

    Those are just an idea. They don't really have to look like that. Plus, I think the ones like the second picture should be more expensive than the ones in the first picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top