Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• Simmerific94Simmerific94 Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi! :) I'm planning to buy a new laptop soon, and have had a lot of issues with running the Sims 3 on laptops in the past (well, and on my current laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions for laptops with good gaming capabilities? Most of my issues have had to do with graphics cards, laptop overheating, crashing, etc. and I just want to avoid all of that.

My current laptop's info:

1. Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200. Integrated. Display memory: 1914 MB, dedicated memory: 252 MB.
    2. Expansion packs: Late Night, Pets, Ambitions, Supernatural, World Adventures, Showtime, Seasons, Generations, University Life
    3. Stuff packs: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    4. No mods.
    5. 352 MB of store content.
    6. FPS: Anywhere from low teens to high 30's... Generally 20's to mid-30's.
    7. Game settings: Object hiding enabled; reflection quality: off; edge smoothing: off; visual effects: low; lighting and shadows: low; tree detail: low; animation smoothing disabled; advanced rendering disabled; draw distance: low; high detail lots: 1; texture detail: low; sim detail: low; full screen mode enabled

Still having a lot of issues with this laptop when it comes to the Sims 3; hence all the low game settings! It's constantly crashing my PC, and it has weird graphics quirks causing certain Sims to look messed up. So, if you have any suggestions for what laptops I should look at, it'd be very much appreciated! :) I'm on a bit of a tight budget and hoping to spend only up to $800-$900 or so, and hopefully not over $1000 (or at least not very much over that). I am currently looking at Lenovos and lower-priced Macbooks, but I'm open to looking at anything. I just want a good gaming PC so I can play the Sims in peace (and hopefully on high graphics settings)! Also, I will be using this laptop for college, so it needs to be pretty good quality overall.

All ideas and help appreciated! :)
    Find me on the Gallery! ID: ShinyTogepi94
  • ViresseViresse Posts: 14 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Viresse wrote:
    Thanks so much for the help, it turned out that the Asus ran out of stock (perhaps a sign from above?) and I had to find something else anyways. What I ended up going with was this one a little more heavy then I had hoped for but it's also bigger (which I do like) and cheaper, and has a 650M (better yes? it was higher up on your list on PG1 lol) When it arrives I'll be happy to post some pictures!
    I can't believe I missed that laptop. Yes, it's great! Another simmer & I have that graphics and it's really beautiful. And if you do share pictures that'd be really great!! :D

Just wanted to say the laptop arrived Monday afternoon, I've had a little time to get it set up and some stuff installed, (been really busy at work unfortunately) I'll try and get some screenshots over the weekend to post. But I totally love it so far!
  • summermistx3summermistx3 Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh Hp I simply cannot stand them! My house is full of them and the processors and graphics cards arent up to the sims 3. Althought it could just be my dad since he has no idea how to buy computers and buys whaeever xD You got a great laptop though! I would even grab that Hp but sheesh its expensive. I haven't ordered the Acer yet I'll probably do it in May or June ( around my graduation time) awwwh if its out of stock I'll just order it off the Acer website. I just hope the price doesn't increase *fingers crossed*. Your laptop is 10x better then mine! I'm using my mom's old Macbook pro and the graphic card isn't all that good ( Nvidia Geforce 320M) and on top of that Mac is definately not used to play the sims. Ugh its such a headache running on this thing! I can't wait to have this Acer in my hands!
    Lol I feel you, my dad has no clue either when it comes to that stuff. The only plus side with HP desktops are that some are super cheap so afterwards you can easily upgrade the graphics card to something stronger, maybe even the processor if it didn't come with a decent one, then change the power supply, viola! You then have yourself a beast! It's much better than investing on a $700 desktop that's already supplied with a "nice" graphics card. Since you have a month or so, you're welcome to stop by this thread before ordering to see if there's any other deals out there :) Oh yes, macbooks are too ridiculously shiny for Sims 3. In other words, macbooks are excessively expensive just for their prettiness which consumers are specifically paying for rather than the specs, because a non-macbook laptop with 320M is worth similar to an Intel HD Graphics 4000 which can be found to run less than $400. You'd have saved yourself couple hundreds of bucks & spent it on more expansion & stuff packs which you can never have too less of!
    @mitsuyuki Thank you so much for doing the survey! Your game looks beautiful! :D Enjoy!
    Hello! I was wondering which of these laptops would be good for all Sims expansions, future sims 4 etc. also good enough to do all of my college course work on...Which is the best out of all of them..

Also, if you have a different suggestions. Thanks!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312439

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314005

Since you will be using this laptop for college, batterly life is a huge concern. The 650 SLI will drain a lot of battery, especially combined with an i7 processor. Also there's been complaints that the 650 SLI from Lenovo Y500 series doesn't have the switchable HD Graphics 4000 working probably which will greatly affect you since you only need to use the Nvidia for gaming while using HD Graphics 4000 for surfing on the web and doing your college work to conserve battery life. For the complaints see here and here.
    You should also consider buying 650M instead of the 730M because it is significantly better, you'll also more likely be able to play Sims 4 on it smoother. Since you'll be taking it to college, will size be a problem for you? As in a 15.6" vs 17.3"? If not I highly suggest this laptop:
    http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_US/pd/ThemeID.30483300/productID.258956600
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215672
    They're the same laptop but are sold on different sites. I suggest buying it on newegg as it's cheaper. On the Acer store, they'll charge tax so it'll be over $860.
    Its battery life is up to 4 hours. It also comes with suitable graphics to Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Thanks so much for your help! I haven't gotten the laptop yet, but I showed my parents, cause they offered to help a bit with paying for it, but I was wondering...

Since I already have an external hard drive of 1TB, should I just go for the $699 laptop with 750GB? I really too much don't care for the storage, just moreso the graphics card. Is there a way for me to still be slightly satisfied with the 730m? or it really a huge difference in graphics? I seen someone else posted about where the 730m stands on the graphics card level and I do want it to be as beautiful as yours but if it is still standable then Idk..If there is I will try my hardest to get the extra money lol. Also, no size really doesn't matter to me, but I know that if I am going to be carrying my laptop around on campus, I probably don't want it to be too heavy. But if it is..no biggs. :D
    You're very welcome! The 730M will play on all high settings with all expansion packs. I'm sure Sims 4 will play on it as well, of course I can't say how well as my guesses are made from requirement jumps from Sims 1 to Sims 2 & Sims 2 to Sims 3. As I've told the other person who had the question about 730M's rank, it's slightly below the 560M. There is honestly no significant difference between the three besides your own preference for a certain screen resolution (which you can see for yourself on different laptops at a Best Buy or a local Walmart). For instance, my game is on a 1920 x 1080 while the 560M that I linked you to is on a 1600 x 900. You can also purchase the $599 and just upgrade the RAM by adding another 4GB memory stick for a total of 8GB, it'll just be an extra $30. The major difference between the laptops are the hard drive space. Of course hard drive space is no concern for you. You'll be okay with going for either, just up to you on the screen preference. It's also smaller in size & a bit more battery life, just some plus points for your shoulders & when doing term papers on campus.
    edited April 2013
    Hi! :) I'm planning to buy a new laptop soon, and have had a lot of issues with running the Sims 3 on laptops in the past (well, and on my current laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions for laptops with good gaming capabilities? Most of my issues have had to do with graphics cards, laptop overheating, crashing, etc. and I just want to avoid all of that.

My current laptop's info:

1. Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200. Integrated. Display memory: 1914 MB, dedicated memory: 252 MB.
    2. Expansion packs: Late Night, Pets, Ambitions, Supernatural, World Adventures, Showtime, Seasons, Generations, University Life
    3. Stuff packs: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    4. No mods.
    5. 352 MB of store content.
    6. FPS: Anywhere from low teens to high 30's... Generally 20's to mid-30's.
    7. Game settings: Object hiding enabled; reflection quality: off; edge smoothing: off; visual effects: low; lighting and shadows: low; tree detail: low; animation smoothing disabled; advanced rendering disabled; draw distance: low; high detail lots: 1; texture detail: low; sim detail: low; full screen mode enabled

Still having a lot of issues with this laptop when it comes to the Sims 3; hence all the low game settings! It's constantly crashing my PC, and it has weird graphics quirks causing certain Sims to look messed up. So, if you have any suggestions for what laptops I should look at, it'd be very much appreciated! :) I'm on a bit of a tight budget and hoping to spend only up to $800-$900 or so, and hopefully not over $1000 (or at least not very much over that). I am currently looking at Lenovos and lower-priced Macbooks, but I'm open to looking at anything. I just want a good gaming PC so I can play the Sims in peace (and hopefully on high graphics settings)! Also, I will be using this laptop for college, so it needs to be pretty good quality overall.

All ideas and help appreciated! :)
    Hey there! Sorry for the late reply. Wow yeah, the Radeon HD 4200 is worse than Intel HD Graphics, I'm surprised your even able to get to the loading screen.

No worries, here a couple recommendations, hopefully one of them suits all your needs:
    Laptop 1
    - 15.6"
    - Windows 7
    - Intel Core i5-3230M (up to 3.2GHz)
    - 8GB RAM
    - 750GB 7200rpm hard drive
    - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650M
    - 1920 x 1080 resolution
    - Steel Series 102Keys(Chiclet) (Backlit Keyboard)
    - 4 hours battery life
    ----
    $899.99 + free shipping + no tax (unless in California)
    *The perfect laptop. It's rare to find great laptops with Windows 7 these days, saves you the trouble with the new Windows 8, I have the exact graphics card and screen resolution (you can take a look at my in-game pics on the first post as well as another member's on the third post). You'll have more than enough RAM and hard drive (the 7200RPM speed is a real nice plus), and oh the backlit keyboard, who can say no to one?

Laptop 2
    - Refurbished
    - 17.3"
    - Windows 7
    - Intel Core i7-3610QM (up to 3.3GHz)
    - 8GB RAM
    - 1TB hard drive
    - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M
    - 1920 x 1080 resolution
    - Backlit keyboard
    - 4.5 hours battery life
    ----
    $859.99 + free shipping + no tax (unless in California)
    *Yes, it's more bulky, it's also refurbished, but it has Windows 7 and a slightly better graphics card, and a bit of more battery life, also more hard drive space if you really need some.

You won't go wrong with either mentioned as they'll both play on on all high settings with all expansion packs. Your only concern should be what size you want, as you'll be carrying it around, and the battery life. As for choosing which screen resolution, I suggest you go to a local Best Buy or Walmart and look at screens of different resolutions to get an idea of which one you prefer, if you're looking at other laptops.
    STAY AWAY FROM MACBOOKS!
    If you want to purchase a Macbook that will play Sims 3 on all high settings with all expansion packs, consider getting $1,300+ ready. Oh and not to mention be prepared to complain how EA promised fixing this and that problem for the game specifically for Macbook simmers. I suggest avoiding all that unresolved drama by not purchasing a Macbook.
    Viresse wrote:
    Just wanted to say the laptop arrived Monday afternoon, I've had a little time to get it set up and some stuff installed, (been really busy at work unfortunately) I'll try and get some screenshots over the weekend to post. But I totally love it so far!
    That's great to hear! :D I hope to see pictures soon!
  • dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited April 2013
    From my experiances DON'T BUY A MACBOOK AT ALL TO PLAY THE SIMS. It's a huge waste of money and you can buy 2 laptops for the price of a one stupid Macbook. Please don't waste your money! I haven't been aple to play the sims in weeks because it just doesnt work on Macbooks. If you DO buy a Macbook you'll end up playing The Sims bootcamped on Windows 7. Mac OS and The Sims don't mix.
    Gmmov8T.gif
    edited April 2013
    As promised!

1. Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2GB)
    2. Expansions: World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and Seasons
    3. Stuff Packs: 70s, 80s & 90s, Fast Lane, High-End Loft, Outdoor Living and Town Life
    4. Mods: None
    5. Store Content: 2GB (Not 100% sure this number is right, I do have a LOT installed from the store though)
    6. FPS? 40ish
    7. Settings:
    Settings.png
    8. Screenshots:
    Goth.png
    TinkerBell.png
    TinkerBell2.png
    Shop.png

I might try bumping up a few of the settings, I just wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly (it does and I'm really happy with the settings already so I'm sure a little higher will just be totally amazing)

Thanks again for helping!
    edited April 2013
    @Viresse Thank you so much! You were surprisingly my missing piece! I was adding information to my "Laptop Checklist" on comparisons between different screen resolutions. Mine is a 1920 x 1080 with the 650M, I had another simmer with 1366 x 768 & 650M, all I needed was a simmer with 1600 x 900 & 650M, which was YOU. Thank you :)
    I'm glad you're satisfied! If you don't mind my suggestion for a smoother looking game, you might want to take off the "Enable Object Hiding" and instead increase the slider for "Edge Smoothing" so you get nicer edges to sims & objects.
    From my experiances DON'T BUY A MACBOOK AT ALL TO PLAY THE SIMS. It's a huge waste of money and you can buy 2 laptops for the price of a one stupid Macbook. Please don't waste your money! I haven't been aple to play the sims in weeks because it just doesnt work on Macbooks. If you DO buy a Macbook you'll end up playing The Sims bootcamped on Windows 7. Mac OS and The Sims don't mix.
    Also to make matters worse, boot camp might be free but you'd have to buy your own copy of Windows 7, might as well stick with PCs that already come with it.
    edited April 2013
    @summersmistx3: Indeed my friend, I have a copy of Windows 7 laying around my house some where but honestly I've always wanted a windows computer. I'm using my mothers Macbook since my old laptops motherboard died.

@Viresse: Ahhh your pics are gorgeous!
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited April 2013
    @summersmistx3: Indeed my friend, I have a copy of Windows 7 laying around my house some where but honestly I've always wanted a windows computer. I'm using my mothers Macbook since my old laptops motherboard died.
    I remember helping you get the game disk out of the laptop when it died. :lol:
    You've come a long way baby. :mrgreen: :thumbup:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
    edited April 2013
    @Viresse Thank you so much! You were surprisingly my missing piece! I was adding information to my "Laptop Checklist" on comparisons between different screen resolutions. Mine is a 1920 x 1080 with the 650M, I had another simmer with 1366 x 768 & 650M, all I needed was a simmer with 1600 x 900 & 650M, which was YOU. Thank you :)
    I'm glad you're satisfied! If you don't mind my suggestion for a smoother looking game, you might want to take off the "Enable Object Hiding" and instead increase the slider for "Edge Smoothing" so you get nicer edges to sims & objects.

Glad I could help out then! :)

And I certainly will give that settings change a shot.
    edited April 2013
    blunote00 wrote:

Haha oh my goodness I remember that too! Good times :lol::lol:
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited April 2013
    I posted this on summermistx3's page, but I may need some more input:
    "Hey, I have a situation; I want to install Late Night on my new laptop, but when I first installed it on my sister's laptop, it crashed. My laptop runs Sims 3, Generations, and Sims Medieval very well. I'm just a little hesitant to install Late Night because I'm not sure if it was the game that caused the computer to crash. Also, Medieval wouldn't install in my sister's laptop, so maybe that means something...? I'm just not sure what might happen to my laptop if I install the game. Thanks in advance."

My processor has 1.9 GHz, but people are saying I need 2.0-2.4 GHz. Every game I have (Base game, Generations, and Medieval) say I need 2.4 or equivalent, but they all run fine on my laptop.
    edited April 2013
    blunote00 wrote:
    Lol adorable! :lol:
    knh330 wrote:
    "Hey, I have a situation; I want to install Late Night on my new laptop, but when I first installed it on my sister's laptop, it crashed. My laptop runs Sims 3, Generations, and Sims Medieval very well. I'm just a little hesitant to install Late Night because I'm not sure if it was the game that caused the computer to crash. Also, Medieval wouldn't install in my sister's laptop, so maybe that means something...? I'm just not sure what might happen to my laptop if I install the game. Thanks in advance."

My processor has 1.9 GHz, but people are saying I need 2.0-2.4 GHz. Every game I have (Base game, Generations, and Medieval) say I need 2.4 or equivalent, but they all run fine on my laptop.
    I remember your new laptop's computer specs, your AMD processor has turbo boost that goes over 3.0GHz, that's why your game runs fine.
    I think I mentioned this to you before, I had an old laptop with Intel HD Graphics which ran all expansion packs up to Generations (even Late Night) smoothly. And that graphics card is way worse than your current laptop's graphic card. So you'll be fine. You'll also be okay as long as your game settings aren't all too high.
    I also think I mentioned (when you needed to re-install your games) to install the base game & Night Life first to test how well it runs before adding your other expansion packs. Installing expansion packs out of order is no longer an issue.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2013
    1. What is you graphics card (and amount of memory, if integrated, please mention)?

GeForce GT 630M
    1GB dedicated memory

2. What expansion packs do you have installed?

All of 'em! :lol:

3. What stuff packs do you have installed?

High End Loft and Diesel.

4. What mods do you have installed?

No major ones, a skintone and a hair, no build sparkles and no intro and Nraas *blush* Decensor! :oops: :lol:

5. How much store & custom content do you have installed (please right-click Mods folder, Properties, and look at the total size)?

No cc. I have a fair bit of the store though, my DCCache is 1.48GB. I have all the worlds bar LL.

6. What is the FPS (please type in "fps on" in the game cheat console to find an average number on the top right corner)?

Between 30-60. Normally it hovers around 60 but if my sim is travelling fast or going past a lot of buildings it dips.

7. Please post a screenshot of your game settings (use print screen key during gameplay then paste into Paint).

screenshot_original.jpg

I don't know why it's so dark, it's not normally dark, I think my laptop might have been unplugged! :lol: I've been playing on high settings and it's running quite well with only a teeny bit of occasional lag. I even had the High Detail Lots slider all the way up and it was ok, not great, but ok. If I lower the settings just a little it plays very smoothly with no lag.

8. In game screen shots are welcome!

Quick warning... I'm a bit overenthusiastic about screenshots! I have LOADS!

Sims:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Pets (the fur looks great in-game!):

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Landscapes, sky and super water:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    edited April 2013
    knh330 wrote:

I remember your new laptop's computer specs, your AMD processor has turbo boost that goes over 3.0GHz, that's why your game runs fine.
    I think I mentioned this to you before, I had an old laptop with Intel HD Graphics which ran all expansion packs up to Generations (even Late Night) smoothly. And that graphics card is way worse than your current laptop's graphic card. So you'll be fine. You'll also be okay as long as your game settings aren't all too high.
    I also think I mentioned (when you needed to re-install your games) to install the base game & Night Life first to test how well it runs before adding your other expansion packs. Installing expansion packs out of order is no longer an issue.
    Okay, thank you. So does that mean I have to uninstall Generation before I install Late Night?
    edited April 2013
    Someone told me I should scan my Late Night disc for viruses before installing it. I have Norton, BTW. It just finished scanning my disc, and no threats were found. So does that mean my game is safe to play now?
    edited April 2013
    @Cinderellimouse Wow, I've rarely seen anyone take pictures on that ratio, your pictures are very cinematic! :D
    knh330 wrote:
    Okay, thank you. So does that mean I have to uninstall Generation before I install Late Night?
    knh330 wrote:
    Someone told me I should scan my Late Night disc for viruses before installing it. I have Norton, BTW. It just finished scanning my disc, and no threats were found. So does that mean my game is safe to play now?
    Here's the main reason why that game crashed on your sister's laptop:
    What is FPS?
    Frames Per Second - It determines the performance of games, with a higher rate producing smoother graphics. A low rate will appear laggy/chuggy/slow/choppy and can make a game unplayable as in-game actions take far too long to complete with far too few frames. Since the human eye can see about 30 FPS, it is pretty much the minimum for satisfactory gameplay, and 40+ FPS is smooth. Basically higher FPS means you're graphics are good, and the lower it is, you're lagging. That's why when it hits 0 FPS, you crash.
    Here's how I can help you figure out if Late Night will work without uninstalling/reinstalling anything. First I need you to tell me your current game settings and your average FPS. That'll help me determine if you have enough FPS running to support another expansion pack or if you'll need to lower some of your settings before doing so. On laptops with integrated graphics card you'll need to balance setting levels and amount of game content you put in whether it's an expansion pack or user custom content.
    edited April 2013
    Here's the main reason why that game crashed on your sister's laptop:
    What is FPS?
    Frames Per Second - It determines the performance of games, with a higher rate producing smoother graphics. A low rate will appear laggy/chuggy/slow/choppy and can make a game unplayable as in-game actions take far too long to complete with far too few frames. Since the human eye can see about 30 FPS, it is pretty much the minimum for satisfactory gameplay, and 40+ FPS is smooth. Basically higher FPS means you're graphics are good, and the lower it is, you're lagging. That's why when it hits 0 FPS, you crash.
    Here's how I can help you figure out if Late Night will work without uninstalling/reinstalling anything. First I need you to tell me your current game settings and your average FPS. That'll help me determine if you have enough FPS running to support another expansion pack or if you'll need to lower some of your settings before doing so. On laptops with integrated graphics card you'll need to balance setting levels and amount of game content you put in whether it's an expansion pack or user custom content.
    Oh...I already installed it and it's running just fine. The only time it seriously lagged was when I was in Create A Style. But it never happened after that. The load times are pretty much the same as before I installed the game. And when I turned on my computer this morning, no blue screen like my sister had. So, I think I'm alright :D Thanks for the help anyways!
    edited May 2013
    knh330 wrote:
    Oh...I already installed it and it's running just fine. The only time it seriously lagged was when I was in Create A Style. But it never happened after that. The load times are pretty much the same as before I installed the game. And when I turned on my computer this morning, no blue screen like my sister had. So, I think I'm alright :D Thanks for the help anyways!
    That's good to hear! I just wanted to double check with your game before suggesting to install just in case you crashed. I'm glad it works :)
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited May 2013
    Please post your DXDIAG report.

1) Click Start
    2) Click Run (Or Windows key + R)
    3) Enter in the Open field : dxdiag
    4) Hit Enter or click OK If you have a 64 bit OS please choose to run the 64 bit DXDIAG by clicking the "Run 64 Bit" on the opening screen of DXDIAG.

The DXDiag panel opens. It has tabs for a number of details on your PC. Above you see DxDiag opened on the display tab.
    Notice the 'Save All Information' button at the bottom. Clicking this button will save all dxdiag information into a text file. Once you have saved all the information, open the file and copy all contents of it into the post in which you explain your problem.

So we can see if your computer will run Late Night alright or not.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • BHarrellsGirlBHarrellsGirl Posts: 131 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Hi, Summermistx3 :) I dono if you remember me, but I was looking into convertible laptops that could handle every day use and gaming with all the EPs. ^_^ You recommended this laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-3347-2GU-12-5-Inch-i7-3517u/dp/B00A3PJ9PY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367843763&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+twist+s230u+33472gu and it has dropped in price by about $400.:D Anywho, my husband and I are going back to school this Fall, and we will be getting student grants. I am considering buying this laptop if I have enough after buying my text books, as I will need a better running laptop for my online courses. The only thing, is I can't remember, you said this was a good laptop for what I'm looking for but the GHz is only 1.9, is that a problem or will it be ok because of the 8GB RAM?? Thanks so much! :)
    edited May 2013
    Hi, Summermistx3 :) I dono if you remember me, but I was looking into convertible laptops that could handle every day use and gaming with all the EPs. ^_^ You recommended this laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-3347-2GU-12-5-Inch-i7-3517u/dp/B00A3PJ9PY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367843763&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+twist+s230u+33472gu and it has dropped in price by about $400.:D Anywho, my husband and I are going back to school this Fall, and we will be getting student grants. I am considering buying this laptop if I have enough after buying my text books, as I will need a better running laptop for my online courses. The only thing, is I can't remember, you said this was a good laptop for what I'm looking for but the GHz is only 1.9, is that a problem or will it be ok because of the 8GB RAM?? Thanks so much! :)
    Yes I remember you! Thanks for stopping by! First of all, it's really great you've kept an eye on it for price drops. I remember why I recommended you that ultrabook. It comes with Intel HD Graphics 4000 & 8GB of RAM (which will save your Sims 3 game). Of course Intel HD graphics cards aren't the brightest for playing Sims 3, you'll have to keep your settings on medium, but it'll be playable compared to other ultrabooks on the market (I've found ultrabooks that go past $1,200 which are unplayable with Sims 3). ALSO, yes, the ultrabook starts at 1.9GHz AND goes up to 3.0GHz! The minimum requirement for Sims 3 is 2.4GHz, so you don't need to worry about that! I suggest you grab it ASAP! You'll have Windows 8 Professional on the 24GB SSD which will make your boot time super fast, a totally awesome bonus to the 500GB 7200RPM hard drive. I personally think everything's perfect except the 12.5" screen but that's the only sacrifice you would have to make. I hope you purchase it fast, the "in stocks" have been dropping from the moment I typed, 5 to 3!
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad to hear it's a good computer! The announcement of Sims 4 arriving next year has me metaphorically pounding my head into my proverbial desk. lol I'm kinda like Ahhhh I'll have just gotten a computer for Sims 3 just for the new model! >_< Funny how that works. :D Well, unfortunately, I will have to wait until August at the soonest, because I have to wait for my student grant. ^_^;; But I'm trying to stay positive that the price will drop even more between now and then. lol
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad to hear it's a good computer! The announcement of Sims 4 arriving next year has me metaphorically pounding my head into my proverbial desk. lol I'm kinda like Ahhhh I'll have just gotten a computer for Sims 3 just for the new model! >_< Funny how that works. :D Well, unfortunately, I will have to wait until August at the soonest, because I have to wait for my student grant. ^_^;; But I'm trying to stay positive that the price will drop even more between now and then. lol
    It's great for the price! I really hope the price drops for you then. And OMG, a part of me died when I read a rumor about Sims 3 going online (with illegit pictures) around last week, but it's confirmed it's not online based :D Anyhoo, YES. I'm gettin' my moolah ready!! Even though I'm highly frustrated and unsatisfied that I'll have to start all over with the base... and I'll be MORE FRUSTRATED AND FURIOUS if they don't give the freaking babies LIMBS! I WANT LIMB BABIES NOT MAGGOT BABIES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Sorry, but really, I'll curl up in a ball and start bawling if I don't get limb babies in Sims 4.
    edited May 2013
    LOL! I feel the same way :D