Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What did I do wrong? PLEASE HELP

I just sent my first sim off to university. He arrived ok and moved into his dorm and everything, but he doesn't seem to be actually enrolled in the university. His jobs tab says he has graduated high school and is unemployed. There is a degree icon but it is greyed out. I assume this is where it's supposed to list your major, degree progress, class performance, etc. but I can't even access it. It's like he's on vacation, not at University. Could someone please help? Did I miss a step in the enrollment process somewhere?

Thanks.

Comments

• KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    edited April 2013
    Could you post a screenshot just so we can see exactly what has happened?

If not, try see if there is a "drop out of university" option then reenroll.
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited April 2013
    I doubt that it is anything you did. Sounds like something got corrupted. How often do you save? Do you have a save that is before he left for university? If you do, then you could revert to that save. If you drop out, you will lose any tuition paid and forfeit the tuition assistance. However, I understand you can apply at the university itself for funds. I've not tried this, so I'm not sure how that goes. HTH

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hitting "Tab" to take a screenshot deletes the interface, which is what I would be needing to photograph. I also tried to hit the "print screen" tab on my keyboard and just got a black square. So unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get a screenshot of the problem.

I can't find a drop out option. I don't seem to have any options relating to the university at all--that's the problem.

Thanks for trying to help, though!
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited April 2013
    I think this is a known bug, you could check Crinrict's bug thread posted at the top of the forum to check it out. I haven't seen any real means to correct it once it happens. :( Maybe save your sim to the bin and start a new game?

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, Mylita. I did check the bug thread and this problem is not on there--that's why I thought maybe I failed at the registration process. There's a similar bug where people have blank class schedules, but I can't even get to the greater university interface where you would even discover that your schedule was blank.

I'm going to try sending a different sim to university and see if it's just him or a global bug. If it is just him, though, I'll try to see if there's a way to go back to a previous save. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2013
    when you first move them in there class stuff isn't there till next day when they start there lessons, then the performance bar comes and the class schedules show.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited April 2013
    A few hours after you move into a place to live, your sim will go to the meet and greet, They must go and they must get freebies form one of the tables there so they have their class schedule and can go to class.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • SikSouthernTinkSikSouthernTink Posts: 1,683 New Member
    edited April 2013
    A few hours after you move into a place to live, your sim will go to the meet and greet, They must go and they must get freebies form one of the tables there so they have their class schedule and can go to class.

Where is this Meet and Greet? I too have been stuck in the University without beginning any classes even though she paid her tuition...nothing comes up for any interaction regarding her classes or workload.
  • pacsunqtazpacsunqtaz Posts: 87 New Member
    edited April 2013

That's not true. Your sims should have a class schedule immediately upon arriving at Uni- no amount of waiting or going to the meet and greet will make it appear if you didn't arrive with one. I had this problem forever when Uni launched and it was supremely irritating, and I tried that (along with dozens of other things) with no success.

It turned out to be a conflict with one of my mods. After I took them all out and ran the game clean it fixed the problem- I was even able to put the mods back in later and it still worked.
  • SikSouthernTinkSikSouthernTink Posts: 1,683 New Member
    edited April 2013
    pacsunqtaz wrote:

That's not true. Your sims should have a class schedule immediately upon arriving at Uni- no amount of waiting or going to the meet and greet will make it appear if you didn't arrive with one. I had this problem forever when Uni launched and it was supremely irritating, and I tried that (along with dozens of other things) with no success.

It turned out to be a conflict with one of my mods. After I took them all out and ran the game clean it fixed the problem- I was even able to put the mods back in later and it still worked.

I'm so annoyed...Not only has this happened with me, but now APPARENTLY you're not supposed to save your game while in Uni. I just went to play and it said Riverview (Walker; my sim's last name) and showed all her dorm mates. I don't think I can even "return" home as it asked me to place a lot of the lots...like the tutorial. looks like I'll be re starting my game. :(
  • RobynpaulaRobynpaula Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2013
    Why in the world are you not supposed to save while your Sim is off at Uni? :? :shock:

It would take hours or possibly days for you to play the whole term at once
  • becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited April 2013
    pacsunqtaz wrote:

I'm so annoyed...Not only has this happened with me, but now APPARENTLY you're not supposed to save your game while in Uni. I just went to play and it said Riverview (Walker; my sim's last name) and showed all her dorm mates. I don't think I can even "return" home as it asked me to place a lot of the lots...like the tutorial. looks like I'll be re starting my game. :(

SikSouthernTink, your household will show like that. I really wish they made this more clear because it almost looks like something went wrong, but it's not. It is part of the game. The "houshold" members are your housemates but you cannot control them like a normal household. I do have to give kudos to the EA team on this one because it reminded me SOOOOO much of my dorm experience.

Like WA, your other household members will not show up until you return home, and when you log back in after quitting your game, the "family portrait" will show your University "household".

Like the other thing, you don't return home right away after finals. (and it's not in the tutorial either) you wait a day or two before this is possible. Which I do think is kinda nice, because it allows your sim to do more of the social things. (and once again, it's more like my RL uni experience, I was a science double major so I only really had fun after exams were over :D )

As to the OP, I'm not sure if your questions got answered. I'm not sure when they get the class schedules, but it is not right away. You get one day to kind of move in and meet your housemates. As to the other part, it will show you as "unemployed". There will be 2 tabs you can check under mostly in the opportunity section, kind of like WA quest section and that is where you find a lot of info about your university life.

I hope that helps a wee bit. But I do think if they made an FAQ of a few things it might have helped some others.

edited April 2013
    Thanks for all the comments and advice, everyone. It seems this is a global bug (it did affect the test sim I made, also), so now I just have to figure out how to fix it.
    I'm so annoyed...Not only has this happened with me, but now APPARENTLY you're not supposed to save your game while in Uni. I just went to play and it said Riverview (Walker; my sim's last name) and showed all her dorm mates. I don't think I can even "return" home as it asked me to place a lot of the lots...like the tutorial. looks like I'll be re starting my game.

This happened to me too and had me really worried I'd lost my household, but I went to another thread and found out that the game automatically makes backup saves every once and a while. Go to Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Saves folder and find the name of the game this bug ruined. There will be two files. Delete the one that doesn't end with ".backup" and then delete the word "backup" and the period on the remaining file. It will take you back to a previous save and you will no longer be stuck in university limbo forever.
    edited April 2013

Pacsunqtaz, would you mind telling me which mod it was? I just tested sending a sim to university with my mods folder removed and the problem was fixed, but I'm not sure which mod was the problem. You said you were able to put your mods back in--I assume you mean all the mods except the one causing the conflict, right?

Thanks!
    edited April 2013
    Just in case anyone with the same problem is reading this thread, the problem in my case turned out to be Nraas Traveler mod. Prior to the release of Uni, this was a top-notch mod (as are all other Nraas mods), and I would still recommend it to anyone who doesn't have University. As it is, I and others will just have to wait for the release of a new version that's compatible with Uni.