Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Landlord/Apartment Challenge-University Required

Essentially, your challenge is to run your very own apartment complex!

Sims 3 University gave us more than school and social networking, it also gave us the ability to add non-playable characters to our lots. The biggest advantage to this? They pay rent :D

What kind of apartment complex do you want to make? Will they be in the slums of the city with a landlord that does nothing more than collect the rent? Or will you apartments be in the suburban area of town with a pool, laundry room, multipurpose room and a landlord that repairs any broken plumbing?

It's up to you to tell the story you want to.

Feel free to add any special theme, or even an overlapping challenge.

How to play:

Start by building your sim of course! They can have any personality or appearance you'd like.

Move your Sim to an empty lot. The size is up to you.

Building your complex:

There are a few guidelines for building that you must follow, but first you have to make a choice.

Will your landlord live like a tenet in one of your apartments? Or will they have separate housing?

If you want separate housing for your sim you will be allowed to used the funds left over from purchasing your lot to build your landlord's home, no money-related cheat will be allowed at this point.

Once you have spent all of your simoleons on your landlord's home, you can start building your apartments. For this, you may use ONE motherlode for your funds. However, there is a catch. Obviously a young sim starting out in life cannot afford to build an entire apartment complex. This means that your sim will have to PAY BACK THE 50,000 simoleons.

You do not have to spend the entire 50,000. Just keep track of how much you spend, and pay back that amount. But you should use part of this at least to furnish your apartment space.

If you decide to have your landlord live in an apartment with everyone else, then you can deduct the amount of money you had before building from your loan.

What your apartment complex MUST include:

Kitchen:Counters, stove, refrigerator,sink.

Bathroom: Tub/shower, sink, toilet

Bedroom: Bed, dresser

Anything else is optional.

All done building?

Time to start playing!

Use your new phone to get your new "Room mates". You can get as many as you want, but I suggest getting as many as you can so you can collect more rent.

Now, your funds should be down to essentially zero since building everything, and you should write down your loan amount somewhere.

Now you can use a temporary motherlode to decorate each tenants space, since obviously people would move in with their own stuff. I suggest taking a look at the tenants who arrive, and trying to decorate according to what their personalities seem to be.

Once you finish decorating the space, reset you funds to ZERO.

RULES:

Lifespan is to be set at normal.

No extra income. Rent will be your only source.

Each time you get paid rent you much use at least half of that money to make a payment on your loan. You can pay more than half if you want to.

No more cheats.

If you don't like a tenant you cannot kick them out unless they somehow vandalize your apartments, or if they start a fire.

Scoring/perks: After you finish building, and before you furnish your tenants apartments, take note of your lot's value. Do so again after furnishing, and subtract to find the difference. This number will need to be subtracted for any scoring/upgrading/perks for later.

The first point you score is for paying off your debt.

After your debt is paid you may start upgrading your apartments. They must all get the same upgrade at the same time however. IF you buy one a new fridge they must all receive a new fridge of the same value. You can improve landscaping, put in new floors, add dishwashers, etc.

You may ask, why do I want to do this?

Because, the more your lot's value increases the more you will be allowed to charge for rent. This is why you have to keep track of how much your lot value has increased since you finished building.

For every 10,000 simoleons you add to your lot value you may do one Kaching cheat each time rent is collected. Every 10,000 simoleons also values 1 more point.

Collect ten points to become a real fatcat landlord.

(This may not be possible in one lifetime, but points are stack-able if your have the landlord's kid take over the family business.)

I'll post some pictures from my own game soon, and I hope you will too!

Comments