Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the sims 2 better than sims 3? what's your opinion?

Comments

• QuickyzQuickyz Posts: 123 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I never really played the entire series of games for it to matter unlike the Simcity series.

They feel much in the same. I'm not a fan of how everything is so expensive though. I did go on a xpac spending spree with this recent sale though. I'd like to get the other xpacs because with that content there is just so much you can do it's ridiculous. I just can't justify 40 bucks for university though. I did have that for 2 and I really liked that experience. I think at first prior to the launch with all the content available the Sims 3 felt like a downgrade. Now that you can be a witch going to college living with aliens and riding around on a unicorn I think 3 has surpassed 2 since 3 just seems like the same game with better graphics. Then again I didn't purchase many expansions for 2 and didn't play the crap out of the game. Those were my World of Warcraft years. That game pretty much took up all my other available free video gaming time.

The initial launch of the new Simcity is similar. I would say while Simcity 2013 has some ground breaking new features with the individual cars, 3D graphics, and the entire design of the game engine is amazing the content is severely lacking compared to Simcity 4, Simcity 3000, and Simcity 2000. One of the things you expect in that genere is things simply get bigger and better. Not have a map a 8th of the size of the largest map from its elder.

I'm willing to bet the Sims 4 is going to go the way of DRM, and be strictly online. Yes, I think Sim 4 is going to be an MMO. The first few months in launch is going to just down right suck if Simcity showed how well of an idea that worked.
  • AnonymousMissAnonymousMiss Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited April 2013
    Psst, dead thread, dead conversation.
  • LordMe331LordMe331 Posts: 20 Member
    Better Game

The Sims 3 (base) = 5
    World Adventures = 5
    Ambitions = 6
    Late Night = 9
    Generations = 8
    Pets = 7
    SHOWTIME = 7
    SUPERNATURAL = 8
    SEASONS = 10
    UNIVERSITY LIFE = 10
    ISLAND PARADISE = 8
    INTO THE FUTURE = 8

TOTAL = 84 (84/120)
    Highest Possible = 120

The Sims 2 (Base) = 5
    University = 7
    Nightlife = 8
    Open For Business = 8
    Pets = 5
    Seasons = 8
    Bon Voyage = 8
    Freetime = 9
    Apartment Life = 10

Total = 70 (70/90)
    Highest Possible = 90

Which Won? = The Sims 2
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    The original post is from 2012. :'(
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Back from the dead.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    nope i feel like a hamster in a cage playing any of the other sim games

open world to me was one of the greatest things they added to the franchise it was a shame they didn't bother improving it for sims 4 and just removed it..

not to mention things like story progession
  • Feather91Feather91 Posts: 2,132 Member
    I don't know if it's better, it's different. I know I love the open world TS3 has. But now that I'm thinking of loading screens in TS2, as annoying as they sometimes were, I love them. Never mind. TS 2 RULES! :#
    tumblr_nabfikC3DM1snecxgo2_400.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think someone was googling and bumped into this topic lol.
    (I think Sims 3 is the better game for the creatives and overall the more complete game)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    I guess since this has been brought back from the abyss I will add my 2 simoleons. I think each is good in it's own way, but for me, sims 3 is the one I play the most. The open world, CASt, and SP (modded version) are things I can't play without for very long.
  • Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
    This is a really old thread :p

Personally I like both, although if I had to chose a favorite, it would be Sims 3. I love story progression and create a style, plus, I've spent so much time playing Sims 2 that it doesn't really have any new stuff left for me to discover. Both of them are great games though!
  • DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    It's almost Hallowe'en, good time for necromancy.

I used to think that TS2 was 100% better than the TS3, but after all of the EP's had come out for TS3, I think that the gameplay of TS2 and TS3 with all EP's are about equally fun for me, but CASt makes going back to TS2 hard sometimes. TS2 definitely provided more in each of its EP's and never felt "incomplete" like TS3 did before Supernatural, Seasons, and Uni. I would say they are equal for me.
  • LordMe331LordMe331 Posts: 20 Member
    I may have left a couple parts out about my comparison..
    The Sims 2 is Awesome! But, it does kind of get a little boring.
    The Sims 3 Got better around the Season Exp, but Late Night Shined Pretty well too.
    + I loved the Story Progression, so I don't know which to pick, I would have counted the Stuff packs, but I never use them.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited October 2014
    They are equal. When I want to play something "comfortable" I play 2. It loads faster, I can change clothes faster, and I don't have to worry about the sims on other lots when I'm not playing. In a strange way, 2 seems like it has more depth. I like the fears and chemistry of 2. I like OFB, and it seems like when I go to those community lots there's something going on. I put this way: Sims2 feels like HOME.

Sims3 has its merits. The most obvious is the open, beautiful worlds. These things are definitely nice, but without game play they are worthless. But, once SN and horses came along, the game got good. Usually when I play S3 it is so that I can play with the 4 primary life states that came with SN.

I'm hoping that one day it will be possible to make a sims game with the depth of sims2 and beauty and openness of sims3.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Edit: Jeez guys Necromuch?
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    AiHaou wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with using some ambrosia on a forum when it concerns general subjects that aren't tied to a certain date.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • xSheimiixSheimii Posts: 34 Member
    I picked up a handful of eps for the sims 2 at goodwill and haven't even found the willpower to install them, but I play the sims 3 with all my eps on an almost daily basis. I used to play sims 2 religiously but.. now the graphics are just too low quality for me to look at. Why settle for less when you can settle for more in my opinion.
    T71rSpb.jpg
    Simblr!
    I'm exclusively playing The Sims 3.
  • lisastar08lisastar08 Posts: 121 Member
    Up until a month and a half ago would have said Sims 2, it's the game I'd keep going back to when wanting to play The Sims. Recently gave Sims 3 a chance again after quitting a few weeks into the base game release and enjoy it a lot more than the sims 2. I've learned to like story progression, I love the open world, and how the time passes no matter where in town your sims are. In the sims 2 I'd rarely make use of my expansion packs life Night Life because I hated returning after all the loading screens and time spent downtown to it being the same time as when I left, making the days longer. The sims in sims 3 took some getting used to, but getting there with that.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited November 2014
    AiHaou wrote: »

Something good transcends the test of time. Besides if I like something I don't care if other people think it's out of style.

Oops, I just realized what you meant. How did a post from 2012 end up on the forum?
  • DemetriDemetri Posts: 48 Member
    The Sims 3 is better. In The Sims 2, I mostly just have fun with the expansions and explore more. In TS3, I feel like I have more options to actually have a story and better family options. Like I had a Sims family for 1 year and a half straight and it was so good, but then my laptop break and everything got lost. :'(
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    While the Sims 2 did have some things that I liked better, the Sims 3 was a better game in my opinion. I feel like in the sims 3 I could do a lot more like go to community lots and have a ton of friends where as in the sims 2 by the time I got to a community lot it was time to go home again because my sim was going to pass out.
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    While I enjoy both the sims 2, the sims 3, and now the sims 4, I still like the sims 2 the best for these reasons.

1. The sims 2 had more charm than the sims 3 and I loved the variety in the animations. (Especially when sims talked and did make out.)

2. Children felt like children in the sims 2. They would play a variety of games with other child sims like cops and robbers, marry mack, etc.

3. Families were done MUCH better in the sims 2. Adults could give their kids family kisses, snuggle with them on the couch, dance with them, swing them around and more. Furthermore, children cared more about their parents, crying when they got in fights. Finally parent would sometimes autonomously tuck their children in when sleeping, or console their children when they were crying.

4. Sims would interact with each other more autonomously, and they had more interactions with each other in the sims 2 . Sims could play games, as well as talk, and almost every object they used, sims could ask others to join. You could even ask sims to watch you as you played video games with another sim.

5. The sims 2 had the perfect challenge level. When your needs got low, you didn't have a ridiculous amount of time before they passed out or starved to death adding more drama.

6. Sims were more romantic in the sims 2. The kissing was more raunchy, and it sounded more real than the kisses in the sims 3. Sims would sometimes snuggle in bed, and when cuddling on the couch, sims would autonomously hug each other, and rub noses, etc. Also married couples would occasionally automatically romance the other.

7. The sims 2 had less bugs, and didn't lag as much as the sims 3. Even with a good PC, the sims 3 sometimes lags a bit, and that is with nrass mods to help the lag.

8. There was a lot of detail put into the the sims 2. The sims 2 had a ton of small details. For example, sloppy sims mixed bowls differently and create more messes, created puddles when showering, would pee in the shower if their bladder need was low, could salvage and eat from the trash can, would burp and fart more, would play a different animation when they had hygiene failure and more.

9. The animations were really detailed and awesome in the sims 2. Sims move the pieces correctly when playing chest, would play poker correctly, with animations for folding, adding chips to the pot, flipping new cards, flipping chips while idling and more.

10. The aspiration bar/wants and fears were done much better in the sims 2. I like how you can purchase things in the sims 3 with points you acquire from completing wants, however, the sims 2 had a much better system. If you completed wants, you got points as well which you could spend on interactable items that helped your sims. Furthermore, your aspiration bar rose, making your sims happier, and allowing you to use these objects you bought without consequence. If you don't fulfill their wants, or fulfill their fears sims become unhappy, throwing tantrums, worrying, and going crazy (playing with a flour sack for family sims, romancing a mop for romantic sims, etc.)

11.Finally you still find surprises in the sims 2. Playful sims in a house with almost no activities may start playing with the fridge, sims who showered in a cheap shower while another flushed the toilet would sometimes get out of the shower and yell at the other person (because the water suddenly got hot or cold), toddlers would sometimes puke on sims when thrown up into the air, toddlers would sometimes autonomously dance when a stereo was on, etc.

The sims 3 did do some things better though.
    1. The open world was nice, and I liked how sims could travel wherever. Made for some great screenshots
    2. The CAS was better. You could manipulate weight more than the sims 2, as well as muscle definition and size, and you could choose different shoes with different outfits.
    3. The Create a style tool was very useful in unifying patterns on clothes or objects, and allowed people to really get creative.
    4. The traits, while not as deep as the personality from the sims 2, were nice, because there was a lot of them, allowing you to create very different sims.
    5. Certain skills like instruments were done better, allowing your sims to learn songs and play specific songs.

Well that is it
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Didn't bother reading the rest of the thread so if this sounds out of place, sorry, but YES sims 2 is better than sims 3, BUT sims 3 is better than sims 4. Sims 2, imho, is the best game ever made.
  • SimsShoeSimsShoe Posts: 13 New Member
    Gone back to Sims 2 lately and I have to say, Sims 2 really is the better game. Thought for years that Sims 3 was better but after installing the game when I got it for free this summer I have to say that it's better. May be the nostalgia speaking since I have been playing since Sims 1. I personally think Sims 2 is more fleshed out, more things to do and since my computer is newer the loading screens never last as long as it used to when I played before getting Sims 3.
    Plus Sims 3 laaags way too much for me to really enjoy anything.

Know it's an old thread but it was fun reading through it.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I found TS2 was great without Mods though I had to use cheats to turn off the aging and unlock the career rewards.TS3 is great though it also gets played rotationally like TS2 because of the heavy load of Mods from NRaas I had to stuff into the game to make it playable.I love both games and they're both just as good though TS3 is best loaded down with Mods and TS2 works with cheats and Mods aren't required.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I love them both. But my favorite has got to be The Sims 3. There are aspects I like more in The Sims 2 like apartments, businesses, the sims themselves, vacation... but I don't think I can handle playing without the open world and CASt. These two features have become a core part of the game for me and I would go through terrible withdrawal if I wasn't able to use them. In all honesty, more care and love went into The Sims 2. The Sims 3 was rushed, especially the animations and detail which are nearly non-existent, at least not nearly as much as those from The Sims 2. The sims in The Sims 3 are slightly lifeless and robotic, but coming from someone who has played it since 2009, I kinda got used to it. The Sims 2 doesn't even work on my PC anymore, which is a shame because I really enjoyed playing it back in 2007/2008 and I'm sure I would still love playing it now.
    oh3cjs.jpg