Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you build a personal greenhouse for your sims lots with the stonesthow items

I have been trying to figure out a way to build a green house for my sims backyard every since I got the stones throw greenhouse but unfortunately I have failed :evil: anyway I was wondering could anyone explain to me how to build a greennhouse because I place the gro station but when I tried to place a roof it would not let me maybe I am doing it all wrong? so I need help badly.

Comments

• N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited March 2013
    I think I put the gro station in after I built the greenhouse. Don't put a roof on or you will have a ceiling. Instead just place the greenhouse roofs on top of the walls. I was disapointed though because I still couldn't plant things in it because it was considered indoors. (I could put plants in it but couldn't garden)
    Not sure if that helps at all.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited March 2013
    I haven't problems place it in enclosed room, only with plants without planters.
    If You have Seasons installed, You need place tiles on the walls and on the ground too, if You want that Yours greenhouse is weatherproof.
    If You don't cover floors - I don't know which is percentually, Yours sim will have unfinished room modlet. This percentually is lowered with one mod from NonaMena on SimLogical.
    For cleaning water puddles have made mod = Drain Inge at Simlogical.
    However, for placing trees inside, You need to use moveObjects on cheat, as those aren't useable with planters. If You want save space between planters, use move them with holding Alt key on Yours keyboad.
    For further informations, with search engine, You can find in Store another discussion about this "greenhouse".
    :wink: Hope it helps.
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited March 2013
    Someone asked me to build them just a large greenhouse on a large empty lot, so that they could build the house themselves.

If it is any help to you , you are welcome to download it. I beleive it includes a basement area for winemaking

To plant in it, you either have to use moveobjects on cheat, or plant into planter bowls. It is already planted up with gro stations in place

This the lot, it is on 60x60
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7036223

g2_zps1b1e3ae0.jpg
    g3_zps4e0770d1.jpg
    g4_zpsceb4208a.jpg
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited March 2013
    Well, I'm not an excellent builder by any means, but I built mine kind of like this:

I built the walls first for the size I wanted to fit into yard.

I built a second level of walls on angles so I could place the ceiling tiles properly.

I placed the ceiling tiles all around the top of my first floor (like a floor to a second level that I didn't keep).

I placed the greenhouse windows on all sides but one. Then I took out one of my walls and replaced it with a fence and a gate.

I landscaped the inside and added places to grow with the terrain tools.

I deleted the second level walls and placed the greenhouse roofs which then made my ceiling/floor tiles clear so I could see through.

That was it.

I haven't tested it for winter, but I can plant on the ground without using move_objeccts or planters. I also haven't planted any trees because I want to buy some lemons to plant (I also have the Al Fresco Market, which I love for the premium content).

Hope this helps. If I can find a picture, I will post one of my greenhouses here.

BTW, litabelaqua, your lot looks great. I plan to rec it for you. I don't usually download from the exchange, but if I did, yours would be on the list.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • lupusrex180lupusrex180 Posts: 644 Member
    edited March 2013
    If you're talking about placing the greenhouse roof pieces, make sure you have placed a flat roof on the greenhouse first. The flat roof will become transparent once the greenhouse parts are on top.
  • verdaeniverdaeni Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2013
    i've had a lot of weird problems with the greenhouse. they come and go which is truely weird.

1. sometimes it says it wont let me plant indoors. which is weird because it lets me plant in the basement fine. what i do for that is leave one pane open. strangely after i plant a few things it seems to let me plant more.

2. it complains there are unfinished walls and floors. the walls arent too bad, but putting floor tiles down seems insane and makes it not work. however ive been noticing that with 'moveobjects on' that it will let me plant on floor tiles that look like earth.

3. i have to put a floor down to do a second floor. again, problems with this. either moveobjects works or i plant them somewhere else and then move them on top of the tiles.

4. it can be hard going up and down. usually i use the spiral stair case. i was trying to make the first floor larger then the second and i had to build the next stair case where the trees go up through the floor. note that when you plant trees in the basement they do not go up to the next level.

5. again planting on the floor tiles can be difficult but onthe second floor you have to. i just open a section, if that doesnt work i moveobjects on or off, or i move the planted plant. which you can do again, with moveobjects on or off.

6. i had to put a floor/ceiling on my topmost level or the domed pieces would not go on. it sounds like everyone is not having this problem. it doesnt really ruin it though. i do have to turn auto roofs off.

7. due to the zombies showing up in supernatural, (they cant get into the greenhouse) i put a second story walkway (windowed and domed of course) to the greenhouse. it also connects through the basement. the mushrooms will grow anywhere but i just have a reality disconnect unless i grow them in the basement. the reason for the second level walkway is so that the horse can run aroud between the back and front yards.

8. sometimes i have to take out the grow station to get the walls to go past them as someone described. then i put it back in.

9. ive also noted that if i plant all the way to the back they cant get to the seed identifier, even if i leave one blank row between each two plant row. still as long as there is a motherlode, you can afford them.

10. it seems like the grow staton automatically waters the plants but not always so i find it a good idea to keep an eye on things.

11. just for fun i put the normal crops on the bottom floor, for the neighbors to see. i put the trees on the outermost levels and they have the dome over them, so i dont plant where i cant see. then i put the witchy plants on the second floor as if i am hiding them from nosy neighbors.

12. i havent really figured out the compost thing. i put stuff in there and it just stays there.

13. the best thing i have found to fertilize with is lobsters. go figure.

14. even with all the help of the grow stations i keep a full time fairy with a green thumb to keep the gardens under control.

hope some of this helps! happy simming

verdaeni