The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*How To Use a Different World as the University World* - INSTRUCTIONS -

By replacing the world file, it is possible to set a custom world as the university world, whether it's a world you created yourself in CAW, or one you downloaded. This method has not been 100% tested all the way through yet, but seems to work properly so far, except for two problems. For some reason, the allowed lot types don't update when editing the new university world through "Edit Town", so if you want to add dorms, fraternities or sororities, you must either place pre-existing ones from the lot bin, or create them after sending sims to university. Student Union appears in the list of lot types fine, though. The other problem is that the meet and greet will no longer function. This is apparently due to the fact that the system is hardcoded to send sims to a specific lot, which doesn't exist in the new world.

Alright then, let's get down to business. To replace the university world, you will need S3PE:
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php/topic,189.0.html

1. Install the world you want to use as the university world using the launcher if you haven't already, then close the launcher.
2. Go to "Electronic Arts" in your documents folder, then "The Sims 3" then "InstalledWorlds".
3. Find the file that matches the name of the world you want to use and copy or cut (depending on whether you want to keep a copy that's playable as a regular world) it.
4. Go to the folder where The Sims 3 University Life expansion pack (not the base game) is installed. On 64-bit systems, this will usually be either C:/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 University Life or C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3 University Life, depending on what method you used to get the game. On 32-bit systems, it will be more or less the same except without the (x86) in the Program Files directory.
5. Go to "GameData" then "Shared" then "NonPackaged" then "Worlds".
6. Paste the copy of the world you want to use as the university world to that folder.
7. Rename "Sims University.world" to "Sims University Backup.world", or whatever you feel like naming it.
8. Rename the world you pasted to that folder to "Sims University.world".
9. Open "Sims University Backup.world" in S3PE.
10. Sort by type.
11. Scroll down until you find the resource with the type "0x296A6258".
12. Right click that resource, hover over "Export" then click "Export to File".
13. Save the file with the default name.
14. Close "Sims University Backup.world" (don't save the file) then open the new "Sims University.world" in S3PE.
15. Go to "Resource" in the menu bar, then "Import" then "Import from File".
16. Import the resource you saved, and if it says there are duplicates, select "Replace Duplicates".
17. Save the file, then exit S3PE.
18. Go in game, go to "Edit Town" then click the university icon.
19. Congratulations! If it worked, you'll now be editing the custom world you set as the university world. If the icon to edit the university world still appears in Edit Town even while you're editing the university world, this means you haven't flagged it in S3PE properly.
20. Add all the university buildings in Edit Town, and a student union. Make sure you have all the neccesary buildings and objects for the classes to work correctly. As I mentioned at the top of the thread, for some reason you can't set lots to be dorms, fraternities or sororities in custom universities until you've actually moved a sim there.
21. You have now successfully replaced the university, and can now return to the home world and send sims there. :mrgreen:

Warning about lectures:
By default, there's a glitch with lectures where all the sims in the class will just stand outside and do nothing while their academic performance goes up. I tried installing the new versoin of NRaas Careers (which allows for a home world university) and exported and imported the student union from the default university world (using EnableLotLocking true to unlock it) over to the new one rather than creating a new student union from scratch, and one of those fixed the problem, but I'm not sure which one. If you use one of those methods without the other and it works, please report back and I'll update the thread.

Note about saved games:
MGSFan612 has pointed out that if you saved a game where you have previously traveled to the default university world, it won't update. To get it to update, you must deleted the file marked "Sims University" in the save's folder. This will erase all data from the default university including all relationships, but your sims should still be able to keep their degrees and credits.

Reminder: This method hasn't been 100% tested, and there may be unknown glitches. If you have any glitches, other than the ones that are mentioned, please mention them in this thread.

Comments

• ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm going to send some sims for a test term at university, so I'll report back if I come across any glitches.
    edited March 2013
    Sorry everyone, but it turns out lectures do not work as expected. Sims will just stand outside the student union doing nothing while the academic performance goes up. By the looks of things, it will require a mod to fix.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2013
    Well thank you for looking into this. Guess we will have to wait for Twallan to come to the rescue.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Sorry everyone, but it turns out lectures do not work as expected. Sims will just stand outside the student union doing nothing while the academic performance goes up. By the looks of things, it will require a mod to fix.

I think I have found a work around for this, but I've not tested it yet, I shall report back with my findings shortly.

edited March 2013
    Stw402 wrote:

I think I have found a work around for this, but I've not tested it yet, I shall report back with my findings shortly.

That's awesome, hopefully it works out. :D
  • MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited March 2013
    I think I may know the solution to the meet and greet issue. Have you placed one of those buydebug markers called "EventLotMarker DO NOT TRANSLATE" on the lot?

It is sort of like a seasonal marker except instead of setting appearences for seasons it allows you to set Layouts for "Common Layout", "Meet and Greet" and something called "Layout Two"(I think this is needed if you aren't using the Student Union shell building)

I am doing some testing yet with it though.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited March 2013
    Have you guys noticed that the University world looks like Sunset Valley except for a few changes in the roads.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    edited March 2013
    MGSFan612 wrote:
    I think I may know the solution to the meet and greet issue. Have you placed one of those buydebug markers called "EventLotMarker DO NOT TRANSLATE" on the lot?

It is sort of like a seasonal marker except instead of setting appearences for seasons it allows you to set Layouts for "Common Layout", "Meet and Greet" and something called "Layout Two"(I think this is needed if you aren't using the Student Union shell building)

I am doing some testing yet with it though.

I've tried using that, but sadly it didn't work for me. :(
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    Well that's a bummer. :? Have you tried using the custom Uni rabbit hole rugs or doors? Someone got this to work doing this on the MTS site somewhere.
    edited March 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    By replacing the world file, it is possible to set a custom world as the university world, whether it's a world you created yourself in CAW, or one you downloaded. This method has not been 100% tested all the way through yet, but seems to work properly so far, except for two problems. For some reason, the allowed lot types don't update when editing the new university world through "Edit Town", so if you want to add dorms, fraternities or sororities, you must either place pre-existing ones from the lot bin, or create them after sending sims to university. Student Union appears in the list of lot types fine, though. The other problem is that the meet and greet will no longer function. This is apparently due to the fact that the system is hardcoded to send sims to a specific lot, which doesn't exist in the new world. Lectures haven't been tested yet, but appear on the class schedule just fine as long as a lot in the new university world is set to "Student Union", and the new world is flagged properly as a university world.

Alright then, let's get down to business. To replace the university world, you will need S3PE:
    http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php/topic,189.0.html

1. Install the world you want to use as the university world using the launcher if you haven't already, then close the launcher.
    2. Go to "Electronic Arts" in your documents folder, then "The Sims 3" then "InstalledWorlds".
    3. Find the file that matches the name of the world you want to use and copy or cut (depending on whether you want to keep a copy that's playable as a regular world) it.
    4. Go to the folder where The Sims 3 University Life expansion pack (not the base game) is installed. On 64-bit systems, this will usually be either C:/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 University Life or C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3 University Life, depending on what method you used to get the game. On 32-bit systems, it will be more or less the same except without the (x86) in the Program Files directory.
    5. Go to "GameData" then "Shared" then "NonPackaged" then "Worlds".
    6. Paste the copy of the world you want to use as the university world to that folder.
    7. Rename "Sims University.world" to "Sims University Backup.world", or whatever you feel like naming it.
    8. Rename the world you pasted to that folder to "Sims University.world".
    9. Open "Sims University Backup.world" in S3PE.
    10. Sort by type.
    11. Scroll down until you find the resource with the type "0x296A6258".
    12. Right click that resource, hover over "Export" then click "Export to File".
    13. Save the file with the default name.
    14. Close "Sims University Backup.world" (don't save the file) then open the new "Sims University.world" in S3PE.
    15. Go to "Resource" in the menu bar, then "Import" then "Import from File".
    16. Import the resource you saved, and if it says there are duplicates, select "Replace Duplicates".
    17. Save the file, then exit S3PE.
    18. Go in game, go to "Edit Town" then click the university icon.
    19. Congratulations! If it worked, you'll now be editing the custom world you set as the university world. If the icon to edit the university world still appears in Edit Town even while you're editing the university world, this means you haven't flagged it in S3PE properly.
    20. Add all the university buildings in Edit Town, and a student union. Make sure you have all the neccesary buildings and objects for the classes to work correctly. As I mentioned at the top of the thread, for some reason you can't set lots to be dorms, fraternities or sororities in custom universities until you've actually moved a sim there.
    21. You have now successfully replaced the university, and can now return to the home world and send sims there. :mrgreen:

Reminder: This method hasn't been 100% tested, and there may be unknown glitches. If you have any glitches, other than the ones that are mentioned, please mention them in this thread.

It didn't work for me. Are you sure you didn't mess up a step?

I followed the steps and the custom world becomes the actual university world. (I even tried moving the renamed version of the University world out of the directory just to be sure it wasn't somehow loading that)
    edited March 2013
    Which world did you use for this?

Because for me it keeps on bringing up the regular university world eventhough I put my custom world in the folder
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited March 2013
    OK I've had some success, I made a university world in CAW, well it's actual a edited version of the EA world, I've yet to check if I get the same results with a none duplicate world, but I really can't see why the result would be different.

Anyway this is what you need to do:-

1 First open the world you wish to edit in caw, if you do not have the CAW files follow this guide:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7pJK3F8dreI

2 Next edit the world you wish to change, you are best just using straight copies of the uni world lots that you wish to use.

3 When your happy with the results, save the game

4 Next right click on the description of the world just above the Global Layer section in CAW, this will open the sub menu for the name of the world, change the name of the world to the following:-

Sims University

Change the Description to the following:

The Sims University World

Change the image file to any PNG

5 Next Save as Sims University world You will need to place the file "0x296A6258" in the world file prior to export see above thread on how to do this.

6 Exit CAW, use S3PE to add the INI files from the University world to your world in CAW

7 Load Caw back in and export your world and install

8 You will find your world in the following location C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\InstalledWorlds

You cut and paste this to the following location:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 University Life\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds

REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL EA WORLD FIRST.

That just about covers it, if your wondering the UNI world I made to test this, I will release for testing purposes when it's ready, plus I will release the CAW files I've used.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited March 2013
    MGSFan612 wrote:

Because for me it keeps on bringing up the regular university world eventhough I put my custom world in the folder

Did you wait for the world to load? When it's loading, it will still say "Sims University", and will still have the same image on the loading screen, but after that, you will be at the new world.

But like I said, there's a problem with lectures at the moment that needs to be fixed. The new version of NRaas Careers might fix the problem, but I haven't tested it with that yet.
    edited March 2013
    I have figured out the lecture problem! I tried three methods at once, so I'm not sure which one solved the problem:
      I installed the newest version of NRaas Careers mod, which allows you to have a university in the home world, and
    may be what fixed them in replaced worlds.
      I copied the student union from the default university world over, rather than creating my own.
      I used "Suck Up to the Professor" to ensure that a professor exists.

I think the second method is probably what fixed the problem. Since my sims always seem to take the same seats during lectures, it's possible that the seats in the default student union have some kind of special purpose, and that using your own seats will cause glitches.

Note: This doesn't fix the lack of a meet and greet.
    edited April 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    MGSFan612 wrote:

Did you wait for the world to load? When it's loading, it will still say "Sims University", and will still have the same image on the loading screen, but after that, you will be at the new world.

But like I said, there's a problem with lectures at the moment that needs to be fixed. The new version of NRaas Careers might fix the problem, but I haven't tested it with that yet.

Sorry for the incredibly late responce but yes when I clicked edit Sims University button in edit town mode it would load the default university world instead of the custom world almost as if it somehow changed the University world back into the regular world. I even made sure to completely remove the renamed default world from the folder just to make sure
    edited April 2013
    There is definitely a step missing

No matter what I do the custom world magically becomes the default University world.

STW 400 mentiones using S3PE to add the INI files from the university world to our custom world

Do I need to do that too?
    edited April 2013
    I don't get why it is working for you guys and not me. Maybe it doesn't work because I am using a digital download version of the basegame and University Life?
  • HOLLYNPHOLLYNP Posts: 88 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Um it would be a lot simpler to just BUY uni instead of trying to create one...just saying.
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hee, hee. I thought you were referring to making Hillman College from the old Cosby produced shoe "A Different World!"
  • NRaasNRaas Posts: 734 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    Note: This doesn't fix the lack of a meet and greet.

The "Meet And Greet" situation is hard-coded to a specific Lot *in* the University World itself.

EA was horribly lazy regarding that functionality, and did not choose to make it flexible enough to be used outside of that particular world.

Replacing the situation so it works properly is possible, but since you don't need to actually to do it to complete university, it is not a high priority. :)
    edited April 2013
    HOLLYNP wrote:
    Um it would be a lot simpler to just BUY uni instead of trying to create one...just saying.

I think you misundertood what this topic is about. We all have University. The topic is about using another town as the University town for eample Riverview rather than the one that comes with the EP.

Anyway does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

I export the "0x296A6258" binary file the directions say to and import it to the world I want to use but it always becomes the regular University world when I load it up ingame. Are there other files I need to import?

Is my version of S3PE messing it up somehow?

The 0x296A6258 file has the UNKN tag is that the tag it is supposed to have?

sorry for for all the questions I am just frustrated I can't get it to work. :lol:
    edited April 2013
    I actually sort of solved my issue. I renamed my Sims 3 folder(the one under my documents) and the replacement process now works fine.

Maybe there is something in my old Sims 3 folder causing the issue I was having(maybe one of my mods)
    edited April 2013
    OK I figured out what was causing my issue.

When you want to use the custom University you must remove any save in which you have traveled to the default university in because it seems to somehow load the default university world from one of those files despite having the custom university in proper place.
  • HOLLYNPHOLLYNP Posts: 88 New Member
    edited April 2013
    MGSFan612 wrote:
    HOLLYNP wrote:

I think you misundertood what this topic is about. We all have University. The topic is about using another town as the University town for eample Riverview rather than the one that comes with the EP.

Anyway does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

I export the "0x296A6258" binary file the directions say to and import it to the world I want to use but it always becomes the regular University world when I load it up ingame. Are there other files I need to import?

Is my version of S3PE messing it up somehow?

The 0x296A6258 file has the UNKN tag is that the tag it is supposed to have?

sorry for for all the questions I am just frustrated I can't get it to work. :lol:

ah gotcha, my bad
  • LifeJunk85LifeJunk85 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited November 2013
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying anyway. A few months ago I used this method to get a world from MySimRealty as a uni town. It worked and I have enjoyed it. However I've been playing around with the default uni town in CAW and want that result as a uni town. I cannot for the life of me get rid of the MySimRealty one as a uni town. I went as far as re-installing University Life to get rid of anything and it still shows it as that one. I deleted all the University files in saved games and Cache files. Where could it be coming from?

EDIT: OK, so I got the MySimRealty version out of my game and went back to de default one to start out with. I did the whole thing over, but with the edited default uni town. But when I go to edit university town to see if it works, the game crashes and gives the message "The Sims 3 has stopped working". It's so annoying that I got the other one to work, but this one won't.
    Post edited by Unknown User on