Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Handicaped Sims?

1789101113...Next

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited August 2009
    We want disabilities!! Don't you guys think that the disable who play the game (like the OP) its offesive not to include it like I can't make anyone handcappied from college or from elementary/highschool if there's no handcappied sims. Not all elders require help walking my grandmother is old yet she can still walk fine without assistance.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    edited August 2009
    As much as I would love to play sims with differences (I'd also like to see different religions in the game), I think for EA, disability falls under the same category as religion because it is so easy to offend particular groups.

For instance, somebody may be upset that their disability wss not included or they may think a certain disability was portrayed offensively. TS3 already has some disabilities. For isntance, the neurotic trait mimics some aspects of obsessive compululsive disorder.

If they portrayed disabilities in the game, they would have to go for realism and avoid comical or exaggerated portrayl like they do with most things in the sims. The challenge would be to be tasteful and not stereotypical.

I know of one game which did characters (they weren't humans though) with disaiblities very well. It was gameware's creatures series where you cared for these aliens and they had generation after generation of babies (much like the sims in some ways but much more complicated genetics).

Once again, I would love to see this because I am a fan of realism, but I doubt it will happen. It would be neat if some third party modders took on this project.
  • sleepysnrsleepysnr Posts: 14 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think it would be nice to allow those with a hancicap have a sim that is truly like them. i dont think it would be offensive to add this to the game. its actually offensive to NOT have it.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited August 2009
    sleepysnr wrote:
    I think it would be nice to allow those with a hancicap have a sim that is truly like them. i dont think it would be offensive to add this to the game. its actually offensive to NOT have it.

Yes that is right to them (the disabled) its offensive not to have it yet we can have gay sims? That seems almost as dumb as getting conversational over a doll that does what some babies do with their parents. I want disabilities.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AvieAvie Posts: 360 New Member
    edited August 2009
    This is a ridiculous argument. Where would EA draw the line at including all types of realism? It's a GAME folks, it's meant to be fun to play not to cover all issues of real life.

What would handicapped Sims add to the game? Where would you draw the line? At profound mental handicap? where there is practically no cognition? or maybe at profound physical handicap where there is no spontaneous movement?

Or are we talking about "handicap lite" where only a wheelchair is involved?

• snowbank10snowbank10 Posts: 87 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I do not think that having a blind Sim would work due to the fact that you can still see everything and you are controlling the Sim.
    edited August 2009
    MadameLee wrote:
    Yes that is right to them (the disabled) its offensive not to have it yet we can have gay sims? That seems almost as dumb as getting conversational over a doll that does what some babies do with their parents. I want disabilities.
    They also do not have Sims with braces or anything like that. I don't think it's offensive not to have disabled Sims. EA can't just add whatever they want. Adding different heights, as well as adding wheelchairs and walkers, would be difficult to create. You would have to change the way they walk, get into cars, sit down, take a shower, almost everything. Plus, if they made something wrong, it would spark new controversy as saying that "EA thinks all handicapped people do this or that and they don't and it's not fair!" They can't just add anything they want into the game immediately.
  • MoodyFlameMoodyFlame Posts: 9 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Ye, introduce a 'Learn Sign Language Skill', would be nice, or make the sims automatically know sign language in order 2 communicate with deaf sims..

But i agree wih snowbank, it could lead to angry simmers.
    edited August 2009
    And how exactly would EA animate a deaf Sim to behave any differently from a hearing Sim?

Given that the game is primarily visual and sound is secondary to gameplay does it really matter? Use your imagination.

edited August 2009
    Avie wrote:
    And how exactly would EA animate a deaf Sim to behave any differently from a hearing Sim?

Given that the game is primarily visual and sound is secondary to gameplay does it really matter? Use your imagination.

I agree. If you want a deaf Sim you can turn the sound off and pretend all/most the Social Interactions are in Sign Language. Sims use hand-motions for a lot of the things anyway.
  • Dooglers8Dooglers8 Posts: 716 New Member
    edited August 2009
    No, no, no, we do not need disabilities, because if EA introduces them, someones gonna get offended. And plus, imagine the programmig feat it would be to attempt to create a disabled sim who functions just like a person with disabilities. It's too big of a challenge.
    It's as simple as that. 8)
    edited August 2009
    I refer you to my earlier post.

Where would the line be drawn. A bad idea arising out of misguided political correctness.

• AngelDovePlayerAngelDovePlayer Posts: 308 Member
    edited August 2009
    i was reading this thread 'til page three. One thing i would like to say is I have known many people who were deaf, blind, bioplar, and myself asperger symdrome are able to as those without disablities. I would love to see sims with disablities in the game. There are many ways a blind person can see and a deaf person can hear. Just because they can't do those things the way most people them doesn't mean they can't. The sims would not be any different.
    edited August 2009
    AngelDovePlayer
    i was reading this thread 'til page three. One thing i would like to say is I have known many people who were deaf, blind, bioplar, and myself asperger symdrome are able to as those without disablities. I would love to see sims with disablities in the game. There are many ways a blind person can see and a deaf person can hear. Just because they can't do those things the way most people them doesn't mean they can't. The sims would not be any different.
    If the handicapped Sims would not be any different then why would you want to play as them. Saying that disabled people are different then the considered "normal" people is kind of offensive in it's own rights.
    edited August 2009
    Then if there is no difference why create a different category?

By your reasoning no difference exists. Why would EA need to create it?

Trait choice can answer some cognitive differences. As for physical disability where do you draw the line? Would a totally disabled Sim with, for example, cerebral palsy be much fun to play? And if EA did not include the profoundly disabled then is it unfair to exclude milder disabilities?.

edited August 2009
    Well? Is it?

You need to think about these issues before posting this sort of thing.

• AngelDovePlayerAngelDovePlayer Posts: 308 Member
    edited August 2009
    I didn't mean to make any offensive remarks all i was saying was that there is truly no difference between the people. So i am a little slower then others i need people to tell excatly what they want me to do. That doesn't make me any different.

I know of a woman who dictates for a living on a computer and she is blind.
    edited August 2009
    Did I say your post was in any way offensive? No I did not.

What I am saying and I wish folk would hear me out on this is that disability crosses a wide spectrum.It can be cognitive, physical, genetic, developmental and within that can exist in many differing ways.

No game could possibly begin to cover them all. Which is why a game like S3 should not address it at all.

It is a game. Set in an ideal world. It cannot possibly include all those things.

• Indiana85Indiana85 Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I understand this is a old thread and I apologizes for bringing this back up. That being said, I'm also disabled *below the knee amputee* and I bought Sims 3 during the humble bundle sale last week, I remember playing The Sims 1 many years ago, so I wanted to see what the game was like today, with The Sims 3. After playing around for about a few hours *I had my Sim make babies with every woman in the game, just because I wanted to create a utopia of incest, I burned down every homes I can and became a vampire for some reason* Anyways, I always wonder why there isn't any disabled Sims in the game? I did some research on this matter and I came across this thread and after reading everyone posts on this matter, I would like to say.

The Sims games is whatever you want it to be. If you want a sim to be disabled in your game, I think Maxis should put it in. If you don't want any disabled sims in your game, Don't put them in your game. They already let people have incest kids in the game, Killing other Sims and do whatever nasty thing that comes to mind, so why not make it a option for people who want to play as a PD/MD sim? If you don't want them in your game,that's cool its your game you can do whatever you want but don't tell other people how they should play the game.
    I don't speak for all disabled people in the world but I will not be offended if they do this. Hell, the first thing I will do is steal my sim's leg and burn the house down. just because.

• wrecktangularwrecktangular Posts: 185 New Member
    edited August 2013
    hm, interesting that you would resurrect this thread, of all threads, to say as much.
    (this is an ongoing, never ending, heated topic)

i just want to say, while i respect peoples opinions and wishes of things that they *want* in the game, saying "make it optional" is the single most hated phase of mine (in relation to these forums) it seems like its a sort of, shrugging off of all the debate, as if it somehow means "i get what i want and if you dont like it turn it off..."
    Of course in reality, if everything that people wanted was included (but /optional/) you'd spend half your time turning all the options on and off. .. (also you'd be paying for a half a game you'd never play!)

here are some other threads that have mentioned this subject (there are MANY others, i cba to search them all)

this one
    ths one
    and finally this one

one thing i'll re-state is that *i* think it would be kinda cool if sims could break a leg, or arm or similar, as this is a (very) common, everyday and relatively minor occurrence, that would have very little impact on the sims ability to carry on as usual, but would add some flavour. (casts and crutches)although it doesn't bother me either way if this is ever added or not.

getting into permanent disability is just madness, think logically about it.
    say you add wheelchairs, you then need to add wheelchair friendly buildings, objects and interactions. but hey! why add wheelchairs in your not going to add [insert name of disability that a different sim player wants to be included] oh but hey, what about...[etc]

also, ITS A GAME it is NOT reality! it doesn't *need* to reflect every element or aspect of reality, (and it doesn't) and that's how it should be. if you want to play reality, turn off your PC.

i read earlier that the sims 3 has sold over 10 million copies. i think that even if, lets say 25,000~(?) of these people said "i want disabilities!" its not gong to happen.
  • EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    edited August 2013
    This would be quite kool, quite nice to have guide dogs in the game :)
  • Pugslover4Pugslover4 Posts: 2,849 Member
    edited August 2013
    to0ts wrote:
    oh god... a Sim in a wheelchair is one thing, but a deaf and/or blind Sim is just taking it a bit far. :roll:

I am deaf, it would be nice tho!
    9cac0e69-be99-4238-b1c8-e9ef2f5d7718_zps38d42068.jpg
    I owned the store! Yahoo!
  • Stick81Stick81 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm visually impaired and would like to see this implemented. It wouldn't have to change much, just remove the ability to drive and limit some career options, like fighter pilot...
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    This thread is from 2013!
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top