Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Terrain Texture Links, Custom Roads, & Effects *** New Textures by Rusty333P Added Jan. 2014

Comments

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm no expert, in fact I might be the opposite :lol:

I tried messing around with the ini files myself, but soon lost interest since it was taking me so long to figure out what was what. My foray into editing the color ramps was a complete disaster, lol. I'd just say to start experimenting. You could try using the color ramps from LP, and the ini from AS and see what happens. I'm sure since you've already been messing around with the files you're acquainted with the Sea Sky & Light parameters thread at MTS.

Stw402 might have better insight, as would some of the more techie people at MTS. If you achieve the effects you're talking about it will be absolutely beautiful.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm no expert, in fact I might be the opposite :lol:

I tried messing around with the ini files myself, but soon lost interest since it was taking me so long to figure out what was what. My foray into editing the color ramps was a complete disaster, lol. I'd just say to start experimenting. You could try using the color ramps from LP, and the ini from AS and see what happens. I'm sure since you've already been messing around with the files you're acquainted with the Sea Sky & Light parameters thread at MTS.

Stw402 might have better insight, as would some of the more techie people at MTS. If you achieve the effects you're talking about it will be absolutely beautiful.

I've been playing around with the ini files and colour ramps for hours but I'm still confused! :lol: At least I know the difference between ini files and colour ramps now though!

I tried importing the colour ramps and light bloom ini from lucky palms, and the other files from Auroura Skies and the effect seemed quite nice (I think I might have found a file in AS that LP doesn't have and I thought it might be something to do with the aurora) but I can't seem to work out which file/s make the aurora yet. :?

I have to say I'm completely confused now and I've been testing out the effects in game so much that everything is starting to look the same! :lol:

Thank you for your reply! :D I'm going to leave it a few days and come back to it, I think. If I still can't work it out I'll ask for help over at MTS (I'm a bit worried about looking really stupid! :oops: ).

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded the mixed files to mediafire (this is the effect of mixing the Lucky Palms colour ramps and light bloom with the Aurora Skies ini files, the result is quite nice) :

http://www.mediafire.com/?sg1ag17aunwdl56
    edited February 2013
    Cool!

I'm going to throw them in an empty world nd have a looksie. :D
    edited February 2013
    I've decided the mixed up files above are a bit random! :oops: :lol:

I've been working on it a bit more and I think I'm getting somewhere! At the moment I've managed to get all the Lucky Palms files but with the Aurora sky files when its only slightly cloudy. I need to edit the colour ramps, I think, because the water colour changes, I don't have a suitable photo editing program though so I need to look into that.

I've worked out the file/s that make the aurora, I just don't know how it makes the aurora! :lol: I'm hoping I can actually edit the colour of the aurora too, I'd like to make the yellow/green shade into a more pinky/purple.

I really don't feel like I understand anything or actually know what I'm doing! :oops: But I'm determined to try. Wish me luck! :lol:
  • aynat134aynat134 Posts: 638 Member
    edited February 2013
    Cinderellimouse

How did you get Aurora's sky to work. Mine just will not. I have the different sunset colors and things like that but the northern lights will not appear. I have only fast forwarded throught 5 days, and 2 different seasons. Are they random, and/or only certain seasons? I am just having a heck of a time getting the sky to work for me.
    edited February 2013
    aynat134 wrote:
    Cinderellimouse

How did you get Aurora's sky to work. Mine just will not. I have the different sunset colors and things like that but the northern lights will not appear. I have only fast forwarded throught 5 days, and 2 different seasons. Are they random, and/or only certain seasons? I am just having a heck of a time getting the sky to work for me.

From what I can work out, the Northern Lights are always there, every night, definitely on 'partly cloudy' setting.

There is a 'cloud glitch' apparently that came with Seasons where the clouds don't always show properly (no clouds, no Northern Lights). You have to save, exit, and reload the world file and then the clouds should show.

It appears the thing that makes the Northern Lights is simply the colur of the clouds. If you open up the 'partly cloudy' colour ramp file (S3_00B2D882_0076A684_ECCBBCB773C02131%%+_IMG.dds) in a photo editing program you can see how two bars have very obvious/unusual colours at night time. I edited these colours and changed the colour of the lights!

This was my first attempt, you can see the purplish colour of the clouds. My second attempt at colouring the clouds had much brighter colours.

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

So, it seems like it would be possible to get the Northern Lights in any world if you colour the cloud bars (from memory, I think it's bars 16 and 20, you'll need to double check). I'm still playing and learning and testing though. My main barrier is that I've never used a certain photo editing program before and I don't really understand it. :oops:

I would say though, that I own Aurora Skies and really love the whole of the world! I personally don't think that simply adding the lights to another world will give the overall impression and impact of the whole AS world. I'm trying to figure out how the lights work so I can create a different feel for my personal CAW world.

Have fun! :D
    edited March 2013

University Town Textures & Roads auntielynds @ MTS Added March 2013
    Nothing exciting, but here they are. :wink:
    VkARDvP.jpg

EIOd9qs.jpg

• MusicalDutyMusicalDuty Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    Hello. I seem to be stuck at the "Copy the AppaloosaPlains.world file, and paste it where you can find it" part. I want to get the appaloosa plains textures. Where do I paste it exactly? I tried pasting it on the desktop but when I try to open in it says that it is an unknown file or something. I apoligize in my stupidity.
    edited June 2013
    What are you trying to do?

Are you wanting to open appaloosa up in caw?

If you right click on the .world file, then right click on your desktop, then click paste, that should do it. If you want to open it up from there you need another program called s3pe. Maybe you're trying to extract textures from a world? If yes I think there is a tut here somewhere...............

Ahh found it in this thread :lol:

If you are doing dragon valley, you'll need to decrapify the file also to get it to open up in s3pe. I'm a little slow on the uptake today. :D

I should be able to get the textures for Dragon Valley up tonight. I started last night but got caught up in an episode of Hannible :shock: , and there's like seven roads to sort through! Jimmny Criket!
    That's odd. :?

I tried the links, and they work fine for me.

The textures are very easy to extract. You'll need:

S3PE:
    http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php

Go into:
    Program Files(x86)
    Electronic Arts/ or Origins Games .
    *Depending if you have a Digital Download or not.
    The Sims 3 Pets
    GameData
    Shared
    NonPackaged
    Worlds
    CyXgM.jpg"width=400"

For the WA worlds, China, Egypt, and France, the textures are in the FullBuildep1.package located here;

wa_tex11.jpg"width=400"

Copy the AppaloosaPlains.world file, and paste it where you can find it.

Make a new folder on your desktop to export your textures to.

Open S3PE

Open AppaloosaPlains.world
    *Make sure you check the "All Files".

hxVyZ.jpg

untitl10.jpg"width=400"

* If you get this error message when opening the .world file in s3pe, you'll need to drag-and-drop the .world file into Pescado's Decripify.exe which comes in the download for s3rc (Recompressor). Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to fully decrapify. Took me at least a dozen tries to get BB to decrapify, and the one that worked, took a couple seconds longer to flash.

If they don't all show up at the top, make sure you tick the "Sort" box, and "Display: Names Tags".

0UwRz.jpg

Click on the first texture, then scroll down to the last one listed. Hit Ctrl/Shift, and click on that last texture. They should all be highlighted now.

Click on "Resources" on the top menu;
    "Export"
    "To File"

Choose the folder you already made, and click "Save". That's it, you can rename them if you want because they export with long file names, but they're ready to use in Caw as is. :D

• ChaoticAshChaoticAsh Posts: 1,056 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Thank you :):)
    edited June 2013
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the Dragon Valley stuff! =D I am curious how that red grass looks so can't wait to check it out and OMG I love the road textures. <3
    edited June 2013
  • misskay05221misskay05221 Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Hi! Thank you SO much for keeping up with this awesome thread! I have one question though.. I've been searching for the post about how to add an image to the thumbnails. I know you posted about it before but I cannot find it. It's pretty confusing when I'm trying to decide which paint to use and all of the thumbnails are blank :shock: Thanks again for the thread and all of the hard work that goes into it!
    edited August 2013
    There are two ways.

Long, tedious way: take each texture into your image editor, I use paint.net it's free,and do a "save as" .jpg. It will have the same name, so show up right beside your .dds, thus allowing you to view what the texture is.

Lovely, no time way: google Mystic Thumbs. Its free, although it places a little water mark on the image, and it allows you to view the .dds in the folder.
    It's 25 bucks if you want to buy it. It seems like someone posted a different program somewhere that was similar that they liked, but stupid me didn't bookmark itand now I can't remember where it was.

Here's the info on those two methods:
    http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t281-tutorial-source-texture-organization
    http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t360-mystic-thumbs-dds-viewer-for-windows
  • mznenepreciousmzneneprecious Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for these lovely links! However, I'm quite confused. These textures can only be used in CAW if I am correct. Is there a way to import them as paint in game. For example so the sidewalk dds file from Island Paradise can be applied to the ground while editing on a specific lot......if I make any sense. :? :? :oops:
    edited August 2014
    Here's some info:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=494677

Make sure to read through the thread, especially the posts by PWN9483. He gives another tutorial link.

@auntielynds
    Post edited by auntielynds on
  • mznenepreciousmzneneprecious Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thank you very much!!! :mrgreen:
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thank you auntielynds for posting the new terrain textures and the new plants from Midnight Hollow.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • hirikotsuhirikotsu Posts: 88 Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't know if this was already asked or not, but I'm having some problems with the MH road textures. I can't seem to find the street detail texture! If you could just point out which if the files is supposed to be the street detail, that would be awesome!! All the other road files are fine and present except the road detail...
    edited November 2013
    If you downloaded Moonlight Falls: Textures, Road, Height-Maps extracted by Atakoy @ MTS, he has each road separated, and a pic of where each texture goes.

Asphalt Road

EP7streetTile_asphalt.dds
    EP7streetTile_stripes.dds

EP7sidewalkTile_concrete_basic_D.dds
    EP7sidewalkTile_concrete_basic_n.tga
    Leave empty

EP7sidewalkTile_concrete_corner_D.dds
    sidewalkTile_concrete_corner_n.tga
    EP7sidewalkTile_crosswalk.dds

2NAhGk1.jpg

edited November 2013
    Actually it was the Midnight Hollow textures from here:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=512923
    I really want to try and get the roads working because I can't do anything else until the roads are down!
    edited November 2013
    Opps!

I'm getting my Moonlights, and my Midnights messed up, :lol:

You want to put the:

DOT10_Stone_Intersection_Crosswalk.dds in there. It's basically a blank texture you can use if you don't want anything showing for either the crosswalk, sidewalk, or road detail.

hMbH59D.jpg
    edited November 2013
    It's working fine now! Thanks! :)
  • LallevonLanzelothLallevonLanzeloth Posts: 1,041 New Member
    edited December 2013
    I can't find Champs les Sims grass/dirt/etc textures anywhere. Does someone know where I could find them?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top