Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy cheating for Sim money or earning it?

I'd love to hear some more opinions. I feel both ways, it just depends on what mood I'm in when I play. Sometimes I want to make my sim start out with nothing, work their way up to fabulous - and I feel awesome. Other times, I just get ton of sim dollars/points and build a mansion and skip all the hard stuff.

What do you prefer? Working for it? Or, cheats? :)

Be honest. :evil:
svnb6p.jpg

Comments

• HermitcrabLukeHermitcrabLuke Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Well I've found making money isn't that hard for me so I don't cheat. But I usually make a 3 or 4 person household. 4 sims who write, garden, play for tips, and explore make more money in a week than they could at the 10th tier of careers... but that just my experience.
  • AlienTwinsAlienTwins Posts: 179 New Member
    edited February 2013
    It doesn't really matter. Earning money is so ridiculously easy in the game that, after the first couple of weeks in a completely virgin household, you will never have any real shortage of money again. Cheating for money in The Sims is like taking a bag of sand into the desert.

I really wish there was a 'hard mode' inbuilt into the game that actually presented something of a challenge.
  • daria_is_odddaria_is_odd Posts: 810 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I always try not to, but always ending up using kaching!
    I only use that one, motherlode gives you too much,
  • morgandaniellexomorgandaniellexo Posts: 414 Member
    edited February 2013
    Well, normally I make a one sim household and start them out at the bottom of whatever career. They make so little, that it takes a while to get the type of house I really want in the game. I want the best furniture and the best house, and with the small amount of money you get, you can either build a small house or get a small one.

So, maybe I'm just greedy and impatient. But, working for it is a bit more fun, in my opinion.
    svnb6p.jpg
  • yoursharona34yoursharona34 Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited February 2013
    I've never used motherlode. I like the challenge of earning money. I'm used to that challenge in real life. :lol:
    edited February 2013
    Haha. Maybe because I'm broke in real life, I want to be rich when playing the Sims? :lol:
    svnb6p.jpg
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2013
    I like to make my sims work for their money.
  • angldiorangldior Posts: 4,379 Member
    edited February 2013
    I never use money cheats. It's so easy to earn money in the game.
    edited February 2013
    How are you all earning all this money so fast?

I want tips. 8)
    svnb6p.jpg
    edited February 2013
    How are you all earning all this money so fast?

I want tips. 8)

What EPs do you have?
    edited February 2013
    I normally set my sim up with a career either in the medical field, or the culinary field. Sometimes in the music career so they can become rock stars! But, it seems like it takes a while to get sim "rich." & also, I try to get them to paint or play guitar for tips to earn extra points.

But, I like mansions! I know I can do it, it just takes a while.
    I love the advice.
    svnb6p.jpg
    edited February 2013
    EPs?

Sorry, I don't know what that means! Don't laugh. I rarely get on this forum. :(
    svnb6p.jpg
    edited February 2013
    EPs?

Sorry, I don't know what that means! Don't laugh. I rarely get on this forum. :(

No worries, it's my fault I shouldn't have used the abbreviation.

EPs = Expansion Packs (World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, etc.)
    edited February 2013
    Oh, ha! I thought so but didn't want to post that and then have you all confused if that's not what it meant. :oops:

I have late night, & that's it.
    I don't really like it, only because it feels like it takes FOREVER to get somewhere. And, all the clubs are always empty. Or, if they are the "hot" club for the night, they still kind of suck. And, being a vampire kind of sucks because you can't go out during the day time. I'm not a huge fan of it.

I wish I would of got another.

What EP do you have? & what's your favorite? :lol:
    svnb6p.jpg
    edited February 2013
    I only have World Adventures and Ambitions at the moment, although I am planning to get more. Ambitions is really good for making money, it introduces literally dozens of ways to do it. Pretty much any skill can be turned into a cash cow (although many can already of course)

Not everybody is into modding, but venues appearing 'empty' can be fixed by introducing a decent story progression mod into the game (Twallan's seems to be the favourite). This fills up the town with a lot more Sims, which in turn leads to venues being more crowded. I can't say specifically how this translates into clubs in LN (as I said, I don't have that expansion) but I imagine it would help a lot.
    edited February 2013
    I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for being so helpful. So...a mod. What is that basically? And, how do you download it and how does it work?

If it's too complicated, you don't have to explain but I've never used one. :wink:
    svnb6p.jpg
    edited February 2013
    I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for being so helpful. So...a mod. What is that basically? And, how do you download it and how does it work?

If it's too complicated, you don't have to explain but I've never used one. :wink:

A mod is a third party piece of software that you install that alters The Sims 3 in some way. Some mods are really simple. For example there is one that just removes the video intro that opens at the start of the game every time so you don't have to click through it. Other mods are more complicated letting you micromanage every aspect of your town.

You need to be careful about installing mods because they are not officially authorised by Electronic Arts, so they have the potential to break your game and they usually have to be updated after every major patch. However, they can make the game so much better in so many ways that many people think they are worth the risk.

Take story progression for example. Under the default game, Sims you don't control will occasionally hook up or have a baby or change job or whatever, but there is often no real rhyme or reason to these happenings and the town often 'dies' after a few generations leaving very few Sims left. Install a story progression mod and suddenly your town comes alive. Sims in other households are skilling, getting jobs, getting promotions, flirting with each other, falling out, having kids, getting married, getting divorced, moving house etc. Soon most of the vacant houses in your town will be full up with what seem like living, breathing families.
    edited February 2013
    Here is a decent page to read to get started with mods (it was the one I used when I first started)

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Installing_Package_Files
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited February 2013
    It depends on what kind of family I wan't to play. I just hate them having everything too difficult in the beginning, so I often use at least the smaller money cheats to buy them proper beds. But if I want a rich family to begin with, I have no trouble using a cheat. Like with my supernatural roomies. I decided that they should live in an old mantion owned by the vampire, so I moved them into one. And gave them a lot of money.

So, it depends. Sometimes I start with the sims just earning money, but then, once they're high enough on their career, I get anxious to move them to a better house, so then I might use a cheat.

I think the gameplay for me is more like playing with barbies, than actually playing a game by the book. It's more important, what things feel and look like, than if I use cheats or not.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• jwghostjwghost Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited February 2013
    working for it of course. cheating only for picture purposes.
  • coocoosimcoocoosim Posts: 325 Member
    edited February 2013
    Theres always that sense of pride in a job well done when you earn all of your sims money through hard work, though cheating can be just as fun
    Let's Play The Goth Family, here!
    Watch The Bunker Challenge, here!
    AND while you're at it, here's my simblr! :D
  • JBAG521JBAG521 Posts: 2,783 Member
    edited February 2013
    I never cheat, but I will have to on this one occasion though :( My family cant quite afford the house I built for them, so Im going to have to cheat to get them into it :/ I love the challenge of starting with nothing and making my way up. I play legacy style, so starting with nothing is literally part of the challenge :)
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    edited February 2013
    I use the cheats. I have to work and pay bills in real life and I don't want to do it in the game. :lol:
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited February 2013
    I use the cheats. I have to work and pay bills in real life and I don't want to do it in the game. :lol:

That's so true! I completely agree :)
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

edited February 2013
    kati77 wrote:

That's so true! I completely agree :)

I've never really understood that argument. 90% of what we do in Sims - go to work, cook dinner, do the dishes, take a shower, do laundry, tend the garden, take a whazz etc etc is stuff that we have to do in real life that is a bit of a chore, but we choose to do in Sims anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top