Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I stop the SimGuru spam?

I'm receiving a lot of spam on my "System Inbox" from accounts like SimGuruHydra, SimGuruPopTart, SimGuruWeb, etc. How do I stop this? It IS spam, because I never asked for it and I certainly don't want it!

Comments

• tigertotstigertots Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited February 2013
    Sorry I do not know and I am the exact opposite to you, my system messages show the number of new messagse I have received but when I go there all I see is a blank page - been like this for months.
  • Angel_D0109Angel_D0109 Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited February 2013
    I rarely see my system messages, like what tigertots posted.
    If it's anything important I check my email and the community page...

And I have no idea how you'd stop it, did you check preferences/settings?
  • Spooky72Spooky72 Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2013
    I only get a couple of them a week, on average---some weeks I get zero, and some weeks I might get 3-4. But they are always useful messages, like "the store will be closed tonight" or "come to this thread for a chance to win something," so I appreciate the heads up. Since those are the exact types of message that the Inbox is designed for (right? Isn't that its only purpose?), I don't understand how it is spam.
  • RuSc68RuSc68 Posts: 40 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I checked every possible setting of preference I could find, but nothing. Also no way to block the spammers.

I was under the impression that this "envelope" might also notify me on replies in the forum, but apparently it doesn't. I didn't receive notice for these two replies anyway, so I guess I can just ignore the little counter on the system messages knowing there is nothing important to be found in there. :-)

[Edit]

@Spooky: it is spam because it has all the things spam has.

- I get loads of crap I never asked for.
    - It contains messages I don't want and am totally not interested in.
    - It can't be stopped or cancelled.
    - It comes in at a rediculous rate.

I also get a few a week, which is considered to be like a mailing bomb to my standards. In the past year I received LITERALLY just 3 spam messages by e-mail. I'm very aware of how to prevent it and that's why it's driving me slightly mad not being able to stop this. ;-)
  • xocaptiveoxxocaptiveox Posts: 1,352 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I believe this is the sort of thing you won't be able to stop. They just send you information about the site and contests. And because this is The Sims 3 website, I am more than sure that the Simgurus are encouraged/obligated to tell you when the site is going to be down or when they are holding a contest. And since you have a separate area to look at gifts and friend requests, there is no other real purpose for the inbox.
  • heaven_sent_8_18heaven_sent_8_18 Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm pretty sure when you signed up for an account, getting messages from the system administrators, regardless of the content, to your ACCOUNT inbox is part of the package deal.

- It's related to your account.
    - You "asked" for it when you signed up.
    - Regardless of your interest in competitions or whatever else, again, it's related to your use of -their- site.
    - I'd think that 1 or 2 messages a week on average wouldn't really be considered "ridiculous", negligent spelling aside.

'm not interested in those things either, I don't particularly care to be notified when the site is down (my life will continue, if I get a system error message, I can try later), and I rarely, if ever take part in the youtube, twitter, etc, etc contests and giveaways. However, it's part and parcel of the user terms agreements I'm sure to be part of this site. If it bothers you that much, ignore them.
  • michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited February 2013
    I open it up every now and again to clear the number but I'm always late for whatever they are telling me. It doesn't bother me.
  • AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited February 2013
    System messages are system messages.... just updates.

It's not like you can actually use that inbox, so you can't call it spam if the purpose of system messages is to be actually informed by the simgurus.
    edited February 2013
    Once again thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that it was a general inbox which would also receive messages about forum replies, but apparently it doesn't. Not receiving any notifications from the forum for that matter. :? I'll just ignore the little envelope from now on. :wink:

@heaven_sent_8_18: I'm so sorry I misspelled "ridiculous". I'm Dutch and had to learn English in school, it's not my native language and school has been over 20 years ago. :roll: And yes, I know there is a Dutch Sims community, but since I hate mixed languages on my computer (not everything is available in Dutch) I use everything in English, including The Sims. It also makes troubleshooting easier because Google will give me more than 10 times the number of hits when I use English. And besides that, Dutch translations are often horrible, not knowing to either laugh or cry about them. So, that's why I hang out here. Hope you don't mind the occasional spelling mistakes.
  • LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited February 2013
    tigertots wrote:
    Sorry I do not know and I am the exact opposite to you, my system messages show the number of new messagse I have received but when I go there all I see is a blank page - been like this for months.

^^This^^

I'd love to see the messages.
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited February 2013
    tigertots wrote:

^^This^^

I would also love to get them....

wonder what your settings are.....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    edited February 2013
    I am not aware of changing any settings. I just registered to be able to fill in my serial numbers for the extra downloads you get when you register your games online.
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    edited February 2013
    For those of you who want to see the messages, check out this thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/604961.page which I was pointed to this morning by AMariseS post. Until very recently, my page was also blank, but I have been able to see the messages in the last few weeks.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited February 2013
    Me thats a nice thread... still they schould fix it.... so many can't see the messeges...
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    edited February 2013
    There's a lot of things EA should fix but doesn't seem to care about. :?
  • LittleKittenCatLittleKittenCat Posts: 660 New Member
    edited February 2013
    tigertots wrote:

Its been the same for me too, its frustrating cause I know there's some sort of announcement but I'm missing out on it. I tried changing it to my country, I still see the number of messages but I can't read them. Same if I set it to U.S.
  • samanthajane26samanthajane26 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited February 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    tigertots wrote:

^^This^^

I would also love to get them....

wonder what your settings are.....

I'm with these ladies! Yes some of the system message stuff is mundane notifications of site maint and facebook/twitter, but I'd rather have the ability see these than not know at all.
  • lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited February 2013
    RuSc68 wrote:
    - It comes in at a rediculous rate.

I also get a few a week, which is considered to be like a mailing bomb to my standards. In the past year I received LITERALLY just 3 spam messages by e-mail. I'm very aware of how to prevent it and that's why it's driving me slightly mad not being able to stop this. ;-)

LOL!!!! :lol: a mailing bomb really? I'm so sorry but this just all seems so ludicrous
    WznfzGr.gif
    edited February 2013
    ...a mailing bomb really? I'm so sorry but this just all seems so ludicrous

Well, not really. :roll: But if you receive a total of three spam messages in an entire year from other sources and you receive the same amount of unwanted messages from EA within a week, then yes. :wink:
  • maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited February 2013
    tigertots wrote:

My system messages do not work, my gift messages do not work and sometimes I'm not able to accept friend requests sent to me.
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
    edited February 2013
    Seems like a lot of things don't work on here. Incoming friend requests don't work for me either, forum notifications don't work, have to bookmark and regularly check all topics I posted in which is quite annoying. Seems like the only thing working is the one thing I don't want to work. :?
  • Branwen333Branwen333 Posts: 222 New Member
    edited February 2013
    The only way friend requests seem to work now-a-days is via the IN game system. I can access friend requests that way, but on the website it does not work.

I am wondering if that is something they've attempted to move to in-game instead?