Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A rating of 17+ (mature)?

Ok, I wouldn't have believed this had I not seen it for myself. A 13 year old girl posted on the Official FB page that she wants to be able to kill sims since the game is rated 17+. *creeped out yet that a child wants to kill sims like this?*

No matter what anyone told her about the T for Teen 13+ rating she insisted we were ALL wrong and that Sims 3 is rated 17+.

What I wanna know is.......Where did she get this idea? She says its written on her copy.

Another simmer told her that IF it WAS 17+ she wouldn't even be able to play and she got snarky and said the usual "My parents let me do it"

She "attempted" to post a screenshot of this rating as per our request and failed miserably. I in turn posted a cropped image of a list of EPs and SPs with the ESRB listed in plain sight......She called it fake and is STILL insisting it's 17+......I realize she's a child and I weep for our future however, I just wanted to reach through my screen and shake some sense into this little twit.

Again, where would she have gotten the idea that this game is for mature audiences? I wanna see a copy that says 17+. Pirated possibly? Kids will do anything to play these days.

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited January 2013
    In some countries Sims has a M rating. I'm not sure which ones they are but I do know Australia is one of them.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    WolfauraWolfaura Posts: 615 Member
    edited January 2013
    Yeah all it says on my sims games is a big blue M on the side and one on the front which says M Sexual References.

And on the back it says recommended for mature audiences.
    It does not say anywhere the age, but generally here in Australia the rating M is regarded as 15+

Edit:

I just looked up the australian rating for video games. the blue M means M (Recommended for mature audiences) – Contains material that may require a mature perspective but is not deemed too strong for younger viewers. This is the highest unrestricted rating.
    The content is moderate in impact.
    So probably our equivalent to America's Teen rating.

The red MA 15+ is the next higher rating:MA15+ (Mature accompanied, under 15s require parental supervision) – Contains material that is considered unsuitable for exhibition by persons under the age of 15. People under 15 may only legally purchase, rent, exhibit or view MA15+ rated content under the supervision of an adult guardian.
    The content is strong in impact.
  • Options
    10eliblue10eliblue Posts: 2,280 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I think one of my Best Friends lives there. There are Mods for that, but I believe talking about it here is banned.
  • Options
    SoleilStarrSoleilStarr Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited January 2013
    Either she was trying to troll and get a rise out of people or shes bored and a bit dingy.

I wouldn't worry though. I was sort of cruel to my Barbie dolls and I turned out alright...ish. Some people really enjoy playing being sadistic with their Sims. :lol:
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    edited January 2013
    You do got to remember that not all countries go by the same rating systems that the USA does. What the USA might find mild in the game, another country might find it to be not mild but wild so they put their rating M for mature. So the OP of that thread might be right about her game being rated M for mature. Did she say what country she lives in?
  • Options
    10eliblue10eliblue Posts: 2,280 New Member
    edited January 2013
    lisasc360 wrote:
    Did she say what country she lives in?
    Eh? Are you talking to me or somepony else?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    10eliblue wrote:
    lisasc360 wrote:
    Did she say what country she lives in?
    Eh? Are you talking to me or somepony else?

No... :oops: I was asking the OP if the OP from the other thread stated what country she was from. So don't worry I wasn't asking you or talking to you. I was just reminding the OP about the rating systems in other countries.. :wink:

I think what it is, is that some people forget that just because EA has their headquarters in the USA, that they think that all of the copies of the sims games has the same ratings world wide. We all forget that EA does have other offices in other countries and when they produce the game over there, they have to follow the rating systems that are set up in those countries.
  • Options
    PsychoMasterXPsychoMasterX Posts: 2,553 New Member
    edited January 2013
    In some countries Sims has a M rating. I'm not sure which ones they are but I do know Australia is one of them.

gaming suck in Australia, it just a excuse so they can ban it
  • Options
    Sims201271Sims201271 Posts: 173 New Member
    edited January 2013
    The same kid has returned less than 24 hours later saying the same thing.

http://www.facebook.com/TheSims3/posts/10151229807250079
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited January 2013
    Sims201271 wrote:

Oh Lord, she looks like she could be 7 years old o_O
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited January 2013
    Ignore the annoying little twonk, she clearly has no clue what she's talking about and just wants attention.
    If you ignore her she'll try and annoy someone else instead.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @the OP...Actually if you go and change to the different languages that is listed up top, you can go to the list of games and see that not all of the countries rating will be T for 13+. I just saw one up there that was rated M for mature and that was in Australia which is probably where the girls lives. I even saw in the Dutch section that their rating is usk ab 6 Freigegeben, which when I went and checked it out what that means and it mean that in that country you can be 6+ to play the sims.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited January 2013
    lisasc360 wrote:
    @the OP...Actually if you go and change to the different languages that is listed up top, you can go to the list of games and see that not all of the countries rating will be T for 13+. I just saw one up there that was rated M for mature and that was in Australia which is probably where the girls lives. I even saw in the Dutch section that their rating is usk ab 6 Freigegeben, which when I went and checked it out what that means and it mean that in that country you can be 6+ to play the sims.

That would be Germany. ^^

In the Netherlands the game is 12+, mild violence, sexual references. You can find the game there amongst other teen-girl titles like "My Horse" and so on. Thank the heavens for digital download.
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited January 2013
    Sims201271 wrote:

Where are her parents? :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Sims201271 wrote:

Where are her parents? :wink:

Yeah she didn't look like a 13 year old unless that was a younger picture of her. Someone on another post over there said that she lives in Canada. Don't know how she would of gotten a copy of a game that was rated M 17+ since others have said that Canada's rating is the same as the USA's rating... :? She has taken down her post earlier today.
  • Options
    CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited January 2013
    facebook minimum age is 13 so that is most likely explanation of that discrepancy.
    searching (quickly) for a rating of 17+ ESRB got me returns for Seasons.
    *shrug* i'd say to pick your battles.
  • Options
    PraiasPraias Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    In the UK it's 12+.

At times I allow my 9 year old to play a bit as he likes the building side of it.

That kid is probably bored out of her wits and gets her kicks by annoying people online or is just a troll. I would ignore her (hard as that sometimes is).