Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make the Sims 3 harder

Β«1
Hi, I tried to find another topic on this, but I didn't really find any, so here's my idea:

Add an option bar to make the game more difficult to play.
I really like the part in the beginning of a game when you have to rush everywhere to get enough money to pay your bills and keep food on the table. I'd love it if there were an option to make everything you can buy say 20% more expensive, or get the loans down with a certain percentage. The same goes for the amount of time you have to spend on getting skill points. Generally I find my sims after 1-2 generations having all the money and things they could possibly want, and it gets kind of boring sometimes when you've reached that point.
I know you can use cheats to reset your family funds etc, but it would be nice if you don't have to do that every simday when the paycheck arrives. And it would be nice to disable this 'hard mode' when you just don't feel like it.

Comments

• TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited January 2013
    The problem with this is that Sims 3 difficulty is all over the place; there's no actual set difficulty and it's usually up to the player.

Also, loans won't help. If you can make money like that, a loan does nothing to affect difficulty.
  • SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited January 2013
    Yeah it should be like hardcore mode on Minecraft and there's no respawning. :-o
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Err no just no. I see how you like it but I for one hate how long it takes to level off to begin with. Call me lazy if you want but I like starting a job with my main skill maxxed out so that I can start on my family aspect of it rather quickly.
  • Leedie12Leedie12 Posts: 53 Member
    edited January 2013
    @ Tanya: I really do think the money is important for your sims to survive, and therefore it would actually make the game harder. Once your rich, it's really easy to stay rich or become even more rich, using stuff like the investments.

@ Pretoda: that's exactly why I would like to have it in the options menu. So that you can keep it as 'easy' as it is now, maybe even make it possible to make it even easier, but also allow a harder mode for players that would like the challenge of it. I don't know how the prices and loans and skillpoint time are defined in the sims game, but it would be nice to change all of it by some percentage.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited January 2013
    Leedie12 wrote:
    @ Tanya: I really do think the money is important for your sims to survive, and therefore it would actually make the game harder. Once your rich, it's really easy to stay rich or become even more rich, using stuff like the investments.

Money is, but in general, money is related to skills. Once you have a skill maxed, the only way to unmax it is to cheat. Over time, it's simply going to get harder and harder for anything to impact your sim's monetary flow without you personally actively sabotaging them. Sims 2 had a similar problem, but had the advantage that you couldn't adjust life spans.

So, really, any and all challenge-adding to the game would have to be related to slowing down skill growth or allowing you to lose skill levels.
  • Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2013
    Leedie12 wrote:

Money is, but in general, money is related to skills. Once you have a skill maxed, the only way to unmax it is to cheat. Over time, it's simply going to get harder and harder for anything to impact your sim's monetary flow without you personally actively sabotaging them. Sims 2 had a similar problem, but had the advantage that you couldn't adjust life spans.

I really wish we couldn't adjust lifespans.
  • PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Icy_Lava wrote:
    Leedie12 wrote:

I really wish we couldn't adjust lifespans.

I like the fact that we can personally. It would be so annoying to have to rush to complete skills, get a job, build the house, and get a family with the fear of my young adult becoming an adult in a set amount of days. Then if I didn't get everything done I would have to continue in the adult stage so by the time I finally do propose to a girl I'm too old to be a dad!
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    Leedie12 wrote:
    Hi, I tried to find another topic on this, but I didn't really find any, so here's my idea:

I really like the part in the beginning of a game when you have to rush everywhere to get enough money to pay your bills and keep food on the table. I'd love it if there were an option to make everything you can buy say 20% more expensive, or get the loans down with a certain percentage. The same goes for the amount of time you have to spend on getting skill points. Generally I find my sims after 1-2 generations having all the money and things they could possibly want, and it gets kind of boring sometimes when you've reached that point.
    I know you can use cheats to reset your family funds etc, but it would be nice if you don't have to do that every simday when the paycheck arrives. And it would be nice to disable this 'hard mode' when you just don't feel like it.

The Sims 3 is as easy or as difficult as you make it. Why should you have to rush everything to pay your bills and put food on the table? For one thing, the game already provides you with food...even in an unfurnished house, you still get a refrigerator that comes fully stocked with food, and putting a spending cap on how much money your Sims spends as a start-up, will allow your Sim to pay their bills, especially when there are so many ways to make money...such as going fishing, harvesting plants and trees, and collecting.

So, unless you are buying expensive items for your Sim to start out with, the money you have left after purchasing your home should be sufficient to get your Sim started, and if you're buying furnished, selling your more expensive furniture and replacing it with cheaper furniture should enable your Sim to pay their initial bills.

I don't see it as EA's job to make the game harder. If you really want hard, start your Sim out on an empty lot and use the familyFunds cheat to take away all their money...and don't let them get a job until they have made enough money to build themselves a modest house. I've just done the bare outlines of Cyron43's "Rags to Riches" challenge.

But really, you can set whatever rules you want, such as no mood cheats, no money cheats, and the Sim must earn the money for everything they buy...either by harvesting crops, fishing, or collecting gems/stones. You'd be surprised how challenging that can be, especially if you try to make their actions as realistic as possible...such as no appliances until they've built their home, and having to use community lots to meet their needs. With Seasons, it's really challenging.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • phatkatneeshphatkatneesh Posts: 119
    edited January 2013
    I too wish that the game could be more difficult. It does become boring after a few generations of success. I start my sims off with a single room and build their homes as they earn more funds. It makes things challenging for me. :)
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    edited January 2013
    I don't do cheats, and have NO CC content, and find it difficult in the sense of it taking so much time to do the every day essentials like eating, bath, job etc. that I am still working to be able to do the added game-play interactions. I didn't buy the Sims 3 until they came out with Pets because I wanted them in the game first, a lot of the time now is for gardening - which teens are great for helping with. I don't get the harder idea, but I work to do things like gardens, selling paintings, exploring inventing, and so much more already in the game. Plus raising a family, big families!

Simply Zoe
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited January 2013
    With all the bugs, crashes and errors, it's already hard to play :P

:lol: You are making me laugh today! :lol:
  • Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2013

:lol: You are making me laugh today! :lol:

I thought that was funny too!
    edited January 2013

LOL that is true!
    edited January 2013
    simplyzoe wrote:
    I don't do cheats, and have NO CC content, and find it difficult in the sense of it taking so much time to do the every day essentials like eating, bath, job etc. that I am still working to be able to do the added game-play interactions. I didn't buy the Sims 3 until they came out with Pets because I wanted them in the game first, a lot of the time now is for gardening - which teens are great for helping with. I don't get the harder idea, but I work to do things like gardens, selling paintings, exploring inventing, and so much more already in the game. Plus raising a family, big families!

Simply Zoe

Large families are difficult but they are a matter of preference. Having the ability to increase the difficulty level for those of us who choose to play with small families, I think will make the game more enjoyable. I believe it is a reasonable request. It may not be achievable with Sims 3 but having discussions like this may provide insight for what we want. Maybe we will have the choice in Sims 4. :)
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited January 2013
    Leedie12 wrote:

Hello,

I like your idea of a tab in Options, I would never turn it on. But for those who like it - can.

I do the following to control wealth:

1) If one of my Sims get too rich, I move someone else into the house and move them out. They get 16,500 and I make sure the house they buy eats 95% of that. :twisted: Then I delete the new homeowner via Edit Town. (I can't do this at present with glitches though)

2) I make one of my Sims garden, fish, write novels or paint to make ends meet as opposed to getting them a job. That's a challange. 8)

(And if you have SP on, it'll move people out of their homes and move them into smaller houses and lose their money. My Cheryl Cole Sim lost a small fortune before I turned off SP. Moving in with Hank (Beckenridge?)and having like $300 between them! :lol: )

Although I've never thought to do what Jarsie9 proposed and make them build their house and live on the grass. :lol:

Poor Sims will get wet with Seasons. :twisted: :lol:
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! πŸ˜Šβ˜•οΈπŸŒž
  • christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited January 2013
    check out zerbus thread he just made a mod taht makes your game harder he tested it in his own game and says it works

its on the first page
  • SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited January 2013
    Well, one way to throw a monkeywrench in the gears is to mess with counterproductive traits. If you leave divas to their doings on high free will, picking up the pieces of their tattered friendships is going to be a challenge in itself :lol:

What I do when I need to mix things up is to rush. Plan something out with very little time to prepare for it, and try to dodge the chaos :D
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2013
    If you want a challenge that is hard to play - and makes it VERY difficult, especially in the beginning of a multigenerational game, how about trying The Sims 3 Apocalypse Challenge - http://ts3ac.wikispaces.com/TS3AC

It should keep you on the edge of your seat :)

We will be hosting a tournament starting March 1st (tentative)

God Bless,
    mik
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited January 2013
    I want more challenge in terms of skills and careers! :D I like maxing them out. :D
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited January 2013
    check out zerbus thread he just made a mod taht makes your game harder he tested it in his own game and says it works

its on the first page

Hey thanks for mentioning it. :) It's still in alpha though, so only changes basic things, and technically it's not a "mod", just a tuning package for an existing mod.
  • christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited January 2013
    Zerbu wrote:

its on the first page

Hey thanks for mentioning it. :) It's still in alpha though, so only changes basic things, and technically it's not a "mod", just a tuning package for an existing mod.

gotcha ! sorry I'm not tech savy at all when it comes to tuning and changing things or creating clothes i just download the mods and CC that you gifted creators make :mrgreen:
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited January 2013
    Personally, I think this is the kind of thing mods are made for. What is easy and what is difficult is subjective and it's always a good idea for the developers to lean toward the side of too easy so more people can enjoy the game.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Minimum Wage/More Realistic Earnings mod over at Mod the Sims. I use it and like it. It makes things more interesting, especially when your sim is working a job that doesn't pay very well.

You can also use the Higher Bills mod, again, over at Mod the Sims. I don't use this one so I have no comment on it.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Hunt around Mod the Sims and see what other mods you'd like to try. There are a bunch of them that make things harder.
    34336_s.gif
  • LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited January 2013
    A lot of girls have the same request of their boyfriends as this thread does for TS3. :wink:
  • GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited January 2013
    I found a way to make my sims game pretty challenging. I started my sims off on an empty lot with hardly any money and no modern convinces. The only thing they had at first was a 1 room house and a couch. There was no bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchens. To make money I had them go out collecting flowers and bugs. The sims didn't work so there was no money coming in on a regular basis. Now bob and betty newbie, still live in a pretty empty house but as time has progressed they have gotten more income. I also had them both get jobs since I was tired of them having to go around town to eat and go to the bathroom. :) It's stilll a lot of fun and challenging since they don't have much. :)
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11