Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Going Away to School! (A Thread For Those Who are Sending Simselves to University)

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Cynth220Cynth220 Posts: 1,162 Member
    edited January 2013
    1) What is your Simself going to major in? (Options: Business, Technology, Science and Medicine, Fine Arts, Communications, Physical Education)
    2) Is your Simself going to live in a dorm or house? Will he or she have roommates?
    3) What will your Simself's University Life be like? a) strictly schoolwork b) balanced with school and socializing c) constantly partying?
    4) Will your Simself join a social group or fraternity/sorority, or both?

My Answers:

1) Tech! (I am a NERD when it comes to computers!)
    2) Probs a dorm
    3) I tend to play all school little play (But that's Uni from 2, so I dunno)
    4) Sorority

Note: Probs gonna be a Simsona, rather than a sim-self I kinda don't like how I look irl. Blame my mom. XD
  • Options
    ChelseaSims13ChelseaSims13 Posts: 415 New Member
    edited January 2013
    1) What is your Simself going to major in? (Options: Business, Technology, Science and Medicine, Fine Arts, Communications, Physical Education)

Uhh probably business or tech. which there was law.

2) Is your Simself going to live in a dorm or house? Will he or she have roommates?

Dorm with a roomate (hopefully male ;D)
    3) What will your Simself's University Life be like? a) strictly schoolwork b) balanced with school and socializing c) constantly partying?

Constantly partying!

As many lawyers and wannabe lawyers there are, I'm surprised Law wasn't one of the majors. I think that would fall under, Communication, though, because that involves dealing with people (Communications seems to be an umbrella for a lot of things lol). Haha, male roommate ;D Your Simself sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Options
    Donblack15Donblack15 Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    My friends and family often joke that I live through my Sims, which is not true... until now! I'm going to a local community college and living at home, so I'm not going to get that "college experience"- which probably isn't as cracked up to be but, still, it sounds fun. Ever since I visited a friend at her college, I've dreamed of going away to college, decorating my dorm, and living on my own but 1) it's too expensive and 2) my life is in my hometown (even though my sister is like, "What life?" lol). With University Life, though, I can send my [Sim]self to college without paying a fortune or leaving home! So the first thing I'm going to do when I get University is create my Simself and send her to college.

Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to ask:

My Simself is going to major in Fine Arts because I enjoy writing and drawing. As much as I enjoy my solitude, though, my Simself is going to live in a dorm to get the full "college experience" lol (speaking of which, I wonder what the NPC roommates will be like? If my Simself's roomate is nice, we'll be friends but if she's not then I'll probably go to another dorm room... or perpetuate drama lol). I don't know what the size of the dorms are but the necessities for my room are going to be a twin bed, a nightstand, a dresser, a desk, a bookshelf, and a computer. As far as style goes, I'll coordinate with whatever stuff my roommate has because I hate mismatched rooms! Even though I'm not a party animal, I'm going to make my Simself be a little more social so she'll have a balanced life of school and socializing. While socializing, my Simself will also be looking for a boyfriend or at least a very good male friend. My Simself will probably join the nerd group because my friends are nerds and she won't belong to sorority- they're too crazy for me! XD

I`m excited! Because University life come out a week before my birthday so i`m getting it on time kinda. I probably will do my sim self too. I like that idea! I will probably do the Buisness Major. Because thats what i plan on going for when i graduate high school. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bella24572 wrote:
    My friends and family often joke that I live through my Sims, which is not true... until now! I'm going to a local community college and living at home, so I'm not going to get that "college experience"- which probably isn't as cracked up to be but, still, it sounds fun. Ever since I visited a friend at her college, I've dreamed of going away to college, decorating my dorm, and living on my own but 1) it's too expensive and 2) my life is in my hometown (even though my sister is like, "What life?" lol). With University Life, though, I can send my [Sim]self to college without paying a fortune or leaving home! So the first thing I'm going to do when I get University is create my Simself and send her to college.

My Simself is going to major in Fine Arts because I enjoy writing and drawing. As much as I enjoy my solitude, though, my Simself is going to live in a dorm to get the full "college experience" lol (speaking of which, I wonder what the NPC roommates will be like? If my Simself's roomate is nice, we'll be friends but if she's not then I'll probably go to another dorm room... or perpetuate drama lol). I don't know what the size of the dorms are but the necessities for my room are going to be a twin bed, a nightstand, a dresser, a desk, a bookshelf, and a computer. As far as style goes, I'll coordinate with whatever stuff my roommate has because I hate mismatched rooms! Even though I'm not a party animal, I'm going to make my Simself be a little more social so she'll have a balanced life of school and socializing. While socializing, my Simself will also be looking for a boyfriend or at least a very good male friend. My Simself will probably join the nerd group because my friends are nerds and she won't belong to sorority- they're too crazy for me! XD

1)Definitely fine arts. I'm sending my simself there and since I'm not really old enough to college yet (11 months away! :mrgreen: ) I want to get the whole shazamm. I'm into all the art and such, can't wait for the avantgarde trait. So me!!

2)Dorm, no second thoughts! I just have to do this. The whole prison thing is kind of unappealing though, since i'm really claustrophobic (lolz) I just have to have that real roomate from hell thing going on

3)I would hope balanced, but if I know mysimself/myself, I'll just forget about the social life until it comes and kicks me in the face, while I'll be pulling all nighters

4) I don't think so. A sorority maybe, but that's unlikely for my simself...

Yay, you’re an artsy person like me! (Well, I used to draw a lot when I was younger and I’m fairly good at still but over the past few years I’ve picked up writing. Fiction and poetry are creative so that’s why my Simself is going to major in Fine Arts, too.). The avant-garde trait will definitely be perfect for us! I also agree, dorms are a must to get the full college experience lol. Having “The Roommate from Hell” (let’s get this phrase circulating lol!) will certainly make gameplay more interesting but if you go away to college and get stuck with a psycho, I suggest moving to another dorm- I can joke about it because I’ve witnessed it at my friends college and (thank Plumbob!) haven’t experienced it myself! As much as it’s going to be funny to see Sims partying at college, I know what you mean, I couldn’t bring my Simself to party constantly- it’s a part of me lol! I’ve never joined a sorority (and never will, either) but if you want to justify your Simself joining one, you can say that your Roommate from Hell made you do it! XD

P.S. Enjoy your senior year (I imagine that’s your year since you said you have 11 months to go) but research scholarships in the mean time. Take advantage of scholarships you are eligible for financial and/or academic reasons as well as for your choice of major (if you know yet) and artistic talent. If you decide you want a scholarship based on your academic merit (especially if you want to get into an art school or program) start building your portfolio now if you already haven’t! Scholarships are really important because they can be a great relief financially and if you can get enough, you can go to any school you want. Best wishes in all of your pursuits! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Druscylla wrote:
    Well my simself is always my "New Expansion Guinea Pig" so she will be going. IRL I left for Navy bootcamp barely a month after graduating. I had to be signed in by my mom cause I was 17 when I joined. I didn't go to a college like I originally intended and so I never got the full experience. Its funny because I had meant to go to Art school at CalArts...but ended up following a BFF to the military.

So I live vicariously through my sim xD She will go to be a Fine Arts major, join a sorority and live in the sorority house, party on the weekends and study during the day and have tons of friends. And pass her studies with great grades.

I'm usually not brave enough to send my Simself into new expansion packs first, but University is the exception because it's college (not community college but a "real" college lol)! You haven't missed anything, Druscylla- there's a lot of benefits in the military including having a dependable job, steady pay, and great opportunities for scholarships and discounts as well as retirement. In all honesty, I think you chose a better route because there's really no way to make it (financially) in art unless you're a one-in-a-million (which is up in the air because a person who puts a dot on a paper can be applauded and payed millions for their genius) or, most likely, an art teacher. Plus, you're making better money and saving money rather than winding up in debt with school loans (which can haunt you for a good portion of the rest of your life). Also, you can still pursue your art dreams with the comfort of having a day job and when you retire, you can dedicate all your time to your art while receiving a pension! Best of wishes in all that you do, don't lose sight of your dreams, and enjoy University :)
  • Options
    SalantiSalanti Posts: 327 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I just got out of a Community college, and now transferring to a University. However I'll be in a small dorm so I'll be missing My desktop and my Sims 3. Next semester however I'm planning on an apartment. Most likely will be the same for my sim as well.

Technically I'm majoring in History to be a teacher, and all of those selections should lead to teaching for sims 3, (in my opinion that is) if not I'm thinking it may be Physical Education. My sim self will most likely life by herself in the second semester. And to me, there is no point on going to college to party, so, Strictly school work. She will join a Sorority if she gets more aid for books and whatnot.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well hopefully, if my cards play out just right. In reality I'll be going to become a CNA, so maybe my sim can do college courses on medicine! Lol!

That's all you can do, play your cards right and expect your dreams to come true- best of wishes becoming a CNA! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    blewis823 wrote:
    I'm going to a local community college and living at home, so I'm not going to get that "college experience"- which probably isn't as cracked up to be but, still, it sounds fun.

This part kind of worried me...my last 2 semesters were at the community college that was connected to the larger university. I too thought the experience was different than when I went away to the larger university, but the satellite was just as much fun and had all the groups, Sororities, Frats connected to them. Their houses where down the street from the local college. The parties were still available and the protests, marches happened there too. Going into the student union, there was always someone advocating one cause or another. I joined in several as well quite a few think tanks. All this happened at the local college. I think you will have a great time at the community college, unless things have changed in 32 yrs. ;)

I'm sure the social scene hasn't changed in 32, it's just the college I'm at- a community college in a small, rural town. It's a rather sizeable college with half a dozen different campuses around in two counties and it partners up with some universities for some bachelor degree programs (one of the education, which I will pursue beginning next fall) but there's really no socializing- students are different ages, from all different walks of life, and different schedules so everybody just wants to get in and out of class as soon as possible!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    1) What is your Simself going to major in? Probably communications if that's what the writing skill comes under

2) Is your Simself going to live in a dorm or house? In a house to begin with, probably with roommates, maybe a dorm later, depending on how the system works as I want to do it as a mixture of both

3) What will your Simself's University Life be like? She probably won't fit any of the categories here. Realistically she'd spend her time playing computer games, reading and writing, but I will probably have her focus more on work than I do!

4) Will your Simself join a social group or fraternity/sorority, or both? Probably not

I'm sure the writing skill will fall under Communications since the major involves broadcasting, which branches off journalism. I should've declared this as my major lol but I chose Fine Arts because I love creative writing and Fine Arts is, well, more creative. I plan on my Simself living in a dorm but I think experiencing both would be really good. Haha, you know, I actually had a friend like your Simself that I visited her at her college- she just played the Sims all the time, and that's how I got addicted to it! :D It's sad when our Sims are more focused on school than we are! XD Nah, I didn't take it that your Simself would be the type to mingle- but things may change, giving your Sim a reason to move from an off-campus house to a dorm (plot!).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    kellycot1 wrote:
    Since you said you liked journalism, have you written any Sims stories? I've written one (and am currently working on another) at my blog: http://legendsofthesims3.blogspot.com/

As much as I've always wanted to, I'm definitely not creative enough to write my own story. I seem to experience writer's block as soon as I start! Maybe one day I'll get around to it, but I have a hard enough time balancing all my other Sims projects.

At the moment I'm really trying to explore my game in a different way. I've always found I miss out on the little things in Sims 3, which was my favourite part of Sims 2. So I'm trying right now to never go to triple speed, while having my Simself and her boyfriend live out their lives in the 'Epic' lifespan. That way, I'm not worrying about kids or rushing for promotions; I'm just strolling through my game, gaining skills and watching the adorable animations. I can't wait to add University Life to the mix to shake things up! It'll be such a great way to see the new features.

On top of that, I'm working on a few world/building projects, which are currently taking me forever to finish. Firstly, I'm updating versions of each EA world I own to to include the features of all expansion packs. Then, I'm also trying to create my own world! I'm a huge fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television show, so for the last year I've been going through all the episodes and drawing up my own plans for the world and the characters. I keep getting so close to feeling like it's done, only to get distracted when a new EP is released. At least it's helping to cure my PEPS at the moment!

By the way, I love the look of your new story! The manor is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see what happens!

Thanks for the PEPS relief!

Also, a question to add to this thread, to keep myself on topic. I don't know whether we'll be able to have our Sims go back to university for a second time, so we can major in something else... but if we can, would you go back for a second major and what would it be in?

Personally, I'd love to go back to university, this time to live in a house (the dorm experience only seems worth it the first time). I can't decide if I'd major in Business or go with something totally different and choose Medicine/Science.

Aw, you should give it a try but I totally understand- even though I managed to make it through a whole legacy (and a pretty darn good one, if I might brag!), I suffer writer's block ALL THE TIME because of my perfectionism! That's why I'm only half-way through the first chapter of Bloodhirst after three months!!! To me, if it can't be written well, it's not worth writing! Too many times I see good story ideas but they are executed poorly so I want all of my stories to be perfect. Thank you, I'm glad to know someone who builds all the time think I did a beautiful renovation- I really keyed in on the whole vampire and blood thing!

Man, you have a TON of projects! Does this ever happen to you: when you're working on a project, suddenly half a dozen other ideas pop up and you want to do them, too? Happens to me all the time- I have at least six other Sims stories lined up after Bloodhirst lol. Speaking of projects, I like that you're editing all of the worlds to make them include all of the expansion packs because I'm disappointed that there's not a bar or kareoke place in every town (I know I can add them through "Edit Town" but I change games so often, it's not even worth it). I know EA does this so all that each expansion pack requires is the base game but, still. Anyway, I think that this project will help you with the ultimate project of creating your own world. What kind of world is it going to be?

Oo, that's a really good question because so many people go back to school. First of all, I don't think there would be a problem sending Sims back to University because it works like World Adventures- to put a limit on the number of visits would be stupid. To answer the good question your brought up, if I were to send my Simself back to University for a second major, I would choose Communications because that seems to be the major for anything, including journalism! By the way, your question is going straight to the original post! :D
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    barisaxy wrote:
    My Simself would not go to an university that doesn't have the option to be a Music major.

You know, now that I think about it, that's really strange University doesn't offer a Music major since there's so many instruments and music careers... unless that falls under Fine Arts. Hopefully, it does :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    1) What is your Simself going to major in? Business & Fine Arts since in RL I'm going for my associate in arts, then bachelors in Equine Management(Bus) and that's the closest I can get
    2) Is your Simself going to live in a dorm or house? Will he or she have roommates? Probably will try the dorms out, it's always a good place to meet people but maybe when she goes back for her second degree I will let her rent a house.
    3) What will your Simself's University Life be like? Balanced with school and socializing..school can't be ALL work and no play afterall!
    4) Will your Simself join a social group or fraternity/sorority, or both? Maybe.. but probably not.. I never really belonged to any one group in real life, I just try to get along with everyone. Although someone is always there to spoil the fun, I still try!

THERE'S EQUINE MANAGEMENT?!?!?!?!?!?! Lol... anyway... I think that's a great idea to spend the first year of school at a dorm and then live in a house the next. I was actually looking at a nearby (hour away, lol) university's dorms and, MAN, are they cramped- you get to know people very well, there lol!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bosslaydee wrote:
    probably science and medicine since im going to take biology, but ill wait until i hear the other majors.
    dorm. because i want to in real life.
    B!!!
    i wanna see more info about the greek houses before i make a decision.

Science and medicine is your best bet... for now. WAIT, THERE'S GOING TO BE MORE MAJORS?!?!?!?! Anyway... yeah, I'd want to be in a dorm in real life, too- I can't wait to decorate mine in the game! There's going to be more info about the greek houses, too? Oo, that'll be interesting...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In all my years of playing, I have never made a simself :shock: But I think I will when I install UL :mrgreen:

Technology or Fine Arts
    2) Is your Simself going to live in a dorm or house? Will he or she have roommates? Dorm and roomates, most definitely.
    schoolwork :) maybe a little partying :wink:
    4) Will your Simself join a social group or fraternity/sorority, or both? Both :D

OMG, REALLY? Making a Simself was one of the first things I did lol! Maybe it's because I'm narcisstic or because I don't have life... forget what I just said, Simselves are cool! XD
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited January 2013

An additional question, which I thought was great, from kellycot1: "Also, a question to add to this thread.. if we can, would you go back for a second major and what would it be in?"

1. Science and Medicine
    2. thinking dorm, but maybe a house
    3. im thinking of the balanced.. but i will be going to parties. .cause i really wanna see that bon fire ;P
    4. probably, once i know more about them. :P
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Donblack15 wrote:

I`m excited! Because University life come out a week before my birthday so i`m getting it on time kinda. I probably will do my sim self too. I like that idea! I will probably do the Buisness Major. Because thats what i plan on going for when i graduate high school. :)

Lol, perfect timing, and happy birthday in advance! I hope you do well in college but, if I might suggest, I wouldn't major in business. They way it was explained to me was that with a business degree, you can only run businesses, and it's not even guranteed that you will have a business. I would recommend majoring in a more versatile degree and learn business from actual business- like anything else, you learn more than you would ever learn in a classroom on the field. If your heart is set on it, though, forget my rambling lol- I wish you the best in whatever you purue :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Salanti wrote:
    I just got out of a Community college, and now transferring to a University. However I'll be in a small dorm so I'll be missing My desktop and my Sims 3. Next semester however I'm planning on an apartment. Most likely will be the same for my sim as well.

Technically I'm majoring in History to be a teacher, and all of those selections should lead to teaching for sims 3, (in my opinion that is) if not I'm thinking it may be Physical Education. My sim self will most likely life by herself in the second semester. And to me, there is no point on going to college to party, so, Strictly school work. She will join a Sorority if she gets more aid for books and whatnot.

Aw, I'm sorry you'll be without your computer and the Sims... at least you probably have better quality gameplay than I do. I'm on a laptop and the graphics aren't smooth and it takes FOREVER for clothes to load in CAS :P

That's neat who your Simself will mirror you in real life, though. I want to be an English and/or creative writing teacher so I chose Fine Arts. I would suggest choosing Communications because history ties in with social studies and that has to do with people... dur, my logic! XD
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    turistas9 wrote:

An additional question, which I thought was great, from kellycot1: "Also, a question to add to this thread.. if we can, would you go back for a second major and what would it be in?"

1. Science and Medicine
    3. im thinking of the balanced.. but i will be going to parties. .cause i really wanna see that bon fire ;P

Yeah, I can't wait till there's more info about the groups.
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited January 2013
    turistas9 wrote:

1. Science and Medicine

im also hoping the lots aint to big (bowling alley, coffee shop) so i can go place them back in my homeworld
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    turistas9 wrote:
    turistas9 wrote:

1. Science and Medicine

im also hoping the lots aint to big (bowling alley, coffee shop) so i can go place them back in my homeworld

I guess that'll depend on which world you choose. If the lots aren't big enough, though, you might have to bulldoze some mansions and other big lots lol.
  • Options
    HOLLYNPHOLLYNP Posts: 88 New Member
    edited January 2013

@kellycot1: Again, a great question! I think this is neat to ponder because in real life a lot of people go back to school. If I were to send my Simself back to Univeristy, her second major would be in Communications because that just seems to be the major for everything- including journalism!

Well so far i have two twin boys who are so opposite. Barret is shy and artsy, he possible could be gay...idk..to young to tell yet. His brother Garret is more of a jock and party guy. They are only in middle school right now though. They have their bedroom set up for dorm life. Each has one side of the room. pretty neat. Barret will major in art and Garret phys ed bc he wants to be a pro athelet.they hope to share the same dorm room of course. Barret will most likly concentrate on his studies more than parties but he will venture out and socilize. Now Garret on the other hand is single and looking to score on campus. Join a frat and parth hard and try to talk his brother into doing his homework for him...lol
  • Options
    Donblack15Donblack15 Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    Donblack15 wrote:

Lol, perfect timing, and happy birthday in advance! I hope you do well in college but, if I might suggest, I wouldn't major in business. They way it was explained to me was that with a business degree, you can only run businesses, and it's not even guranteed that you will have a business. I would recommend majoring in a more versatile degree and learn business from actual business- like anything else, you learn more than you would ever learn in a classroom on the field. If your heart is set on it, though, forget my rambling lol- I wish you the best in whatever you purue :)

Yes I know amazing timing!!! Thank you for the advise I am still a sophmore in high school. So I may change my mind on what I want to go to college for but I doubt it. I always thought being a manager would be cool. But I will certainley research your advice. Thank you!!

P.s Thanks for the birthday wishes!! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    HOLLYNP wrote:

@kellycot1: Again, a great question! I think this is neat to ponder because in real life a lot of people go back to school. If I were to send my Simself back to Univeristy, her second major would be in Communications because that just seems to be the major for everything- including journalism!

Well so far i have two twin boys who are so opposite. Barret is shy and artsy, he possible could be gay...idk..to young to tell yet. His brother Garret is more of a jock and party guy. They are only in middle school right now though. They have their bedroom set up for dorm life. Each has one side of the room. pretty neat. Barret will major in art and Garret phys ed bc he wants to be a pro athelet.they hope to share the same dorm room of course. Barret will most likly concentrate on his studies more than parties but he will venture out and socilize. Now Garret on the other hand is single and looking to score on campus. Join a frat and parth hard and try to talk his brother into doing his homework for him...lol

Sounds like you have a great story! Love the idea of twin brothers (who are completely opposite) sharing a dorm... lol, especially love the idea of Garret bullying Barret (love the name, btw!) into doing his hw! XD
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    edited January 2013
    1) What is your Simself going to major in? Business & Fine Arts since in RL I'm going for my associate in arts, then bachelors in Equine Management(Bus) and that's the closest I can get
    2) Is your Simself going to live in a dorm or house? Will he or she have roommates? Probably will try the dorms out, it's always a good place to meet people but maybe when she goes back for her second degree I will let her rent a house.
    3) What will your Simself's University Life be like? Balanced with school and socializing..school can't be ALL work and no play afterall!
    4) Will your Simself join a social group or fraternity/sorority, or both? Maybe.. but probably not.. I never really belonged to any one group in real life, I just try to get along with everyone. Although someone is always there to spoil the fun, I still try!

THERE'S EQUINE MANAGEMENT?!?!?!?!?!?! Lol... anyway... I think that's a great idea to spend the first year of school at a dorm and then live in a house the next. I was actually looking at a nearby (hour away, lol) university's dorms and, MAN, are they cramped- you get to know people very well, there lol!

In real life yes ;) Although it's limited WHERE you can find it. We live in KY though so horses everywhere! Seriously, you walk down the street and there they are! lol Which is great for me! I will never get to live in a RL dorm since I'm married with two kids while going to school :X But at least my sim can try it out!!
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    edited January 2013

In real life yes ;) Although it's limited WHERE you can find it. We live in KY though so horses everywhere! Seriously, you walk down the street and there they are! lol Which is great for me! I will never get to live in a RL dorm since I'm married with two kids while going to school :X But at least my sim can try it out!!

Lol, oh, I meant Equine Management in the Sims 3- I don't doubt they have it in real life, especially in the South! Believe it or not, they are actually dorm-like apartments for families on college campuses like USF- I know because I was looking at colleges yesterday XD