Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

you can paint the ceiling?

I never knew that

interesting

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2013
    There is even a floor tile category for ceilings (so I guess technically you would call it ceiling tile). :mrgreen:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • The_Purple_PlumbobThe_Purple_Plumbob Posts: 11,250 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Yep, though I rarely do it myself.
  • ccoolcatccoolcat Posts: 336 New Member
    edited January 2013
    How? :O
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited January 2013

You have to position the camera down low but pointed up. It's a pain at times. I seldom "paint" the ceiling but sometimes it can add a lot.

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/508/906/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=640"[/img]

This is one of the few times, but the house looked strange with the stark white ceiling. My only regret is that the boards in the ceiling did not run the same direction as those in the floor.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2013
    cwaddell wrote:
    This is one of the few times, but the house looked strange with the stark white ceiling. My only regret is that the boards in the ceiling did not run the same direction as those in the floor.

You do know you can rotate the tile before placing it with the < and > keys. You could have rotated the boards so they did run the same direction.

I think it looks fantastic though, just as it is. I almost never bother to paint the ceiling but that photo has me rethinking.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Shadowninja2Shadowninja2 Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited January 2013
    I never knew that, interesting. I don't really have any use for it though since my camera angle doesn't go that way often.
    edited January 2013
    Stormkeep wrote:
    You do know you can rotate the tile before placing it with the < and > keys. You could have rotated the boards so they did run the same direction.

I think it looks fantastic though, just as it is. I almost never bother to paint the ceiling but that photo has me rethinking.

I'm sure I knew that but didn't pay attention or temporarily forgot when I placed the tiles or was just struggling too much to get the ceiling pictured so I could fill the ceiling in all at once. Then afterwards looking at the pictures I always think I wish I had laid them out right to begin with.

Thanks. In real life I like a white or light colored ceiling because it makes the room seem more spacious and not like a cave so I tend to leave the default ceilings in my sims buildings. But I could see replacing those for certain situations like wood for cabins, tile for bathrooms and hot tub rooms, maybe to make it seem there are beams or a coffered ceiling. Also I've seen the provided ceiling tiles used effectively in very formal and elegant rooms.
  • honeyhoney8honeyhoney8 Posts: 2,192 Member
    edited January 2013
    Isn't it groovy :?: :)

I found out in the first few days of having the game, through no intellect of my own.
    I was clicking like madd trying to get the tile to go on the floor. I had seen the money go, as though it was down, but I couldn't see it, so I went up 1 floor to check for it there,. Long story short I was in such a frenzy to see if my game had broken that I zoomed in extremely close & panned up too far (not used to the controls yet), & there it was. A very pretty, very expensive, hard wood ceiling. :lol:

I love that feature.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited January 2013
    cwaddell wrote:

That is a lovely room, cwaddell - very warm and inviting. Like you, I don't often use this feature, but the other day I started playing with it as I was doing a badly needed house make-over and it truly adds something, even if you stay with lighter colors.

Screenshot-53_zpsbe818467.jpg

Screenshot-44_zpsa4d9441b.jpg
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited January 2013
    I use the ceiling tiles in pretty much all of my builds now. I love the look of them in builds as it can lighten or darken a room adding to the mood. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
    edited January 2013
    Surreal wrote:
    That is a lovely room, cwaddell - very warm and inviting. Like you, I don't often use this feature, but the other day I started playing with it as I was doing a badly needed house make-over and it truly adds something, even if you stay with lighter colors.

Screenshot-53_zpsbe818467.jpg

Thank you for the compliment. I really like what you did with the dining room. The subtle green on the ceiling really adds to the room without overpowering it with color. Gives me inspiration to expand my experience with painting ceilings.

• SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited January 2013
    cwaddell wrote:
    Thank you for the compliment. I really like what you did with the dining room. The subtle green on the ceiling really adds to the room without overpowering it with color. Gives me inspiration to expand my experience with painting ceilings.

It's fun, isn't it? :) Here's one more - this ceiling is darker, but doesn't overpower the room - at least I don't think so.

Screenshot-47_zps9b479b3b.jpg

Hope you post some of your before/after pictures - would love to see how it works out for you. And besides, I just really like to look at other peoples' game pictures. lol

Edit: Sorry about the kid doing her business right there... :wink: