Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University subhood confirmed!

ยซ1
They've just confirmed on the live broadcast that we get a subhood! :D:D:D When I first heard that, I was crazy with excitement!

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited January 2013
    Exactly what I wanted.
    It looks like it will only be one, but I guess that's OK. I should have fun turning it into the perfect college town.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    It's not a subhood. It's a world, just like the vacation countries you travel to. And you may or may not be able to go back and forth, or your Sim may have to stay there until they finish the whole experience. If it works along the same lines as the vacation worlds do, you might be able to stay only one semester at a time, go back home, and have to wait a few days before you can return.

And yes, it's kind of sad that there's only one, but then again, we're getting so much content and gameplay that I don't think it will be too bad, and hopefully, we will be able to put bowling alleys and coffee shops in our own towns to give our Sims even more places to go to.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited January 2013
    It looks like there is room for customisation though. But it looks fairly "historic" so yay. From the outside it reminds me of my current uni a little.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited January 2013
    Finally we get an East Coast quasi European world. New England. I wanna watch Jumanji now. :XD:
  • asa144asa144 Posts: 606 Member
    edited January 2013
    So long as we can build our own university subhoods I'm good :D
  • Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2013
    asa144 wrote:

We probably won't as we can't do that with WA worlds.
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Wish they would give us the ability to create a sub hood instance of every world we have installed - would LOVE to take my sims on Holiday to Sunlit Tides or Monte Vista ...
  • RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited January 2013
    asa144 wrote:

This. Frankly, I'm disappointed that we're getting just one subhood. I would have preferred three or rather none (so we would be able create and play our own university towns)
    My one last hope: Twallan!
    edited January 2013
    mikitta47 wrote:
    Wish they would give us the ability to create a sub hood instance of every world we have installed - would LOVE to take my sims on Holiday to Sunlit Tides or Monte Vista ...

I'll do that with Twallan's mod when I start playing again. It would be great if he updates it to allow us to have more than one university subhood because as Lava said, EA most probably won't include that.

I was presently surprised at the sight of open lectures though!
    edited January 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:
    asa144 wrote:

This. Frankly, I'm disappointed that we're getting just one subhood. I would have preferred three or rather none (so we would be able create and play our own university towns)
    My one last hope: Twallan!

I was just thinking of Twallan. Great minds think alike :)
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited January 2013
    Icy_Lava wrote:
    asa144 wrote:

We probably won't as we can't do that with WA worlds.
    It would probably be possible by opening the university world in CAW (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=416989), erasing the contents, and building a world back up, then replacing the .world file in the EP's directory.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,229 Member
    edited January 2013
    I hope we'll can do a Campus in the home world because I don't like the subhood system with a seamless world.

Subhood =

- Restrictions (Maybe no baby/toddler/child allowed)
    - Loading screen each time the students visit their parents or go to the downtown.
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, there is always Twallen's - expect my game begins to lag to unplayability if I have more than Debug Enabler and Overwatch installed.

I haven't installed the latest patch, yet, but i am dearly hoping that it solves my error code 12 issues - because you know, my MACHINE has the memory and the RAM ... but the GAME just started doing this in the last 7 days :(

God Bless,
    mik
  • CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited January 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    It's not a subhood. It's a world, just like the vacation countries you travel to. And you may or may not be able to go back and forth, or your Sim may have to stay there until they finish the whole experience. If it works along the same lines as the vacation worlds do, you might be able to stay only one semester at a time, go back home, and have to wait a few days before you can return.

And yes, it's kind of sad that there's only one, but then again, we're getting so much content and gameplay that I don't think it will be too bad, and hopefully, we will be able to put bowling alleys and coffee shops in our own towns to give our Sims even more places to go to.

ugh, that is what a subhood is. by definition, a sunhood is a new hood that is connected to the main hood, as in other main hoods are not connected to the same WA/UNI as another main hood. a subhood is simply a distinct hood that can be visited from a mainhood, but only that main hood. when you create a new mainhood, and visit a subhood you might have visted from another mainhood, the new subhood is created from scratch.
  • atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited January 2013
    So does this mean that they will not be linking the worlds together? I was really looking forward to vacations in Monte Vista and Sunlit Tides.

Oh well. At least we get a subhood.

On a positive and happy note, we get coffee shops! I hope that my simmies can get jobs in them. :mrgreen:
    edited January 2013
    So does this mean that they will not be linking the worlds together? I was really looking forward to vacations in Monte Vista and Sunlit Tides.

On a positive and happy note, we get coffee shops! I hope that my simmies can get jobs in them. :mrgreen:

it is impossible to directly stitch two worlds together into one giant world. the game engine just cant handle that, because each world has different landscapes, the waters tend to be different, and the skys have variations.

plus, the larger the world is, the more lag people encounter.

thats why every linked world we have gotten has been a subhood. it is easier, and allows for EA to do more in a world because it doesnt rely on rendering the resourses of the homeworld at the same time.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited January 2013
    I'd love it if there was an option to make our own campus... maybe an 'add campus' or 'create campus' option or something. Or if they just gave us the option to mke our own in CAW! :D

I wonder if we can drop a campus into the home world? Would the rhs work? :?
    edited January 2013
    if they do that, I hope they properly improve the in-game Edit town. I dont like that you are horribly limited in placing new lots to 8 rotations, when in CAW, you apperently can rotate it more degrees. there are places one can play lots in existing worlds, but you cant make them sink to the roads at all.

however, i doubt they would add roads to the edit town feature, so if we can, we might be like thesims2, where roads are already there, and you place lots within it.
  • atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited January 2013
    CMWarren wrote:

it is impossible to directly stitch two worlds together into one giant world. the game engine just cant handle that, because each world has different landscapes, the waters tend to be different, and the skys have variations.

plus, the larger the world is, the more lag people encounter.

thats why every linked world we have gotten has been a subhood. it is easier, and allows for EA to do more in a world because it doesnt rely on rendering the resourses of the homeworld at the same time.

I never thought of it that way. Hopefully in TS4 they will find a way to link the worlds so that we can play in different towns.
    edited January 2013
    they did try to do this with simcity4, which was a far less technical system, but it was problematic.

I agree; it would be great if you could link nhoods together in thesims4, and after jumping from 2d to 3d between ts1 and ts2, and lot based in ts1-ts2 to open worlds in ts3, it really does seem the next big leap for thesims.

it would be fun to have regions that connect together, but it would require a way for the computer to create the landscape that connects them, and we probably would still require some sort of loading screen to move between them, or, the sims would travel through one as it loads the other in the background. I always find that once a subhood is created in thesims3, it loads faster than it did the first time with each subsequent visit.

its technically impossible with thesims3 engine, but it seems possible they could find a way to do it.

the main issue with doing it in simcity was that you could edit the world, which caused problems with the cities that surrounded yours if you edited the edge of the map.

I wonder how they did it in the upcoming simcity, which has region play.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,229 Member
    edited January 2013
    Are you happy ?

Welcome to the limited world !

- No visitors from home world
    - No visit to home world
    - Limited time (1 or 2 weeks)
    - No baby
    - No wedding
    - University works like a travel world

Source :
    http://simsvip.com/2013/01/24/simsguruargus-answers-university-questions/

University is the new Area 51 ! TS3 become TS2 ! "Seamless and open world" idea is in the trash bin now !

I HATE SUBHOOD !!!
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited January 2013
    Are you happy ?

- No visit to home world
    - No baby
    - No wedding

Source :

University is the new Area 51 ! TS3 become TS2 ! "Seamless and open world" idea is in the trash bin now !

I HATE SUBHOOD !!!

The thing is, anyone who paid attention when they said University works like the WA travel locations knew this was coming and pretty much knew all of those things would happen.

Secondly, this is to be expected. Some things simply cannot be done with an open neighborhood. And by your logic, the "seamless and open world" was in the trash back when World Adventures was released. Unfortunately, they didn't think when they implemented that "seamless and open world" or they never would have implemented it the way they did in the first place!

And, really, relax. A lot of games with supposedly seamless and open worlds are not as open as sold and require special travel to reach some spots. Take Skyrim as an example.
  • SimChelle1982SimChelle1982 Posts: 2,666 Member
    edited January 2013
    mikitta47 wrote:

Oooh, that's a really cool idea!!
    15172699815_7cdb04275d_o.png
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    Are you happy ?

- No visit to home world
    - No baby
    - No wedding

Source :

I HATE SUBHOOD !!!

Oh my God. Stop the presses. Disaster has stricken. Limited gameplay. Let the tantrums begin.

Obviously you weren't paying close enough attention to what was being stated, and just chose to look at the surface. Now, *if* I'm not mistaken, when one begins a quest in one of the WA worlds and has to go home because their time is up, they're still able to pick up on that quest when they come back. I'm pretty sure that's how that works.

Well, guess what? It probably works the same way in the University World. Your Sim signs up to take x number of credit hours...each "term" allows x number of credit hours...say 1 week allows 12 credit hours and 2 weeks allows 18 credit hours (these are just examples, I really don't know the # of credit hours allowed). Your Sim needs 40 credit hours to finish his or her degree.

As I understand it, the system keeps track of your Sim's progress so that you can send your Sim home between the terms, and the next time they return to college, they just pick up where they left off. Meet someone in college and want to marry them? Fine, just send your Sim home, invite the boyfriend/girlfriend over, and propose to them and marry them. After that, both your Sim and the new spouse can return to the University as playable characters.

Want to have a family? Schedule it for between terms...get pregnant, have your baby, wait out the maternity period, and then return to college. As long as there's a Sim living at home, there should be no problem (That's where having an elder in residence comes in handy) with your Sim returning and finishing up that degree.

I'm glad there's no pregnancy and marriage *while* in college. Why make things more complicated than they have to be, just to make it more "realistic"?

In short, things are not as bad as you make them out to be. You just need to learn to get your mind out of the TS2 mindset (if you've played TS2 University) and open it to the possibilities.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • SimChelle1982SimChelle1982 Posts: 2,666 Member
    edited January 2013
    Are you happy ?

- No visit to home world
    - No baby
    - No wedding

Source :

I HATE SUBHOOD !!!

Thanks for posting this link! But it raises a few questions for me. I'll post the answers that make me question. :wink:

Q: What is the shortest amount of time a Sim can stay at the university? Can you customize how long Sims can attend college?
    A: The shortest amount of time a Sim can stay at university is one Sim week and the longest amount of time is two Sim weeks. You are able to customize your stay by selecting one or two terms (one term = one Sim week, two terms = two Sims weeks).

My question: Does this mean that Sims are going to earn degrees in as little as 1 Sim week? Or 2 at most? That's kinda short, don't you think? TS2 was 8 terms!

Q: Can we switch gameplay from university to town?
    A: Attending university works like a travel world. Once enrolled, it is best to stay until the end of the term, but you are able to drop out and head back home during the middle of the term. Doing so will cause your Sim to lose any progress and money spent towards earning their degree that term. Once you finish the term or drop out, you will be returned to your home world.

Just a comment here: This sucks for someone like me who changes households within the same game because I don't like having duplicate neighborhoods . This means, if I send a Sim from Twinbrook to University, I can't use any other Sim from Twinbrook until that Sim returns from college. It also means, you can't send multiple teens from one neighborhood at a time. In TS2, I used to send friends away to college together. That's a huge let down! But I guess it explains why Sims earn degrees in as little as a week!
    15172699815_7cdb04275d_o.png